Studio already talking "Watchmen 2"

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Ender
Emperor's Hand

Studio already talking "Watchmen 2"

Post by Ender »

link
These days, it isn’t a blockbuster unless there’s talk of a sequel — especially when it comes to films based on comic books. Jon Favreau’s “Iron Man” sequels are a pretty sure bet, but what about the talk of a sequel (or possibly prequel) to one-and-done stories like “300”? Heck, could “Watchmen” become a franchise?

MTV News recently spoke to actor Patrick Wilson, who plays Nite Owl in the much-anticipated adaptation of Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons’ graphic novel, and asked him to weigh in on the film’s sequel potential.

“It’s all been talked about,” laughed Wilson. “Financially, they like to do that. But all of us, [director] Zack [Snyder] included, all go, ‘How on Earth could you do a sequel or prequel?’”

While Wilson acknowledged the presence of a clause in his contract that allowed for sequels, he was quick to add that these types of arrangements are standard fare these days, citing their presence (and even more unlikely use) in Snyder’s previous blockbuster adaptation, “300.”

“Even the guys from ‘300’ might have had a sequel,” said Wilson. “It’s the most ridiculous option. It’s sort of a financial way to protect the studio, and I would do the same thing.”

But could “Watchmen” ever have a sequel — and furthermore, would he want to be in it?

“Certainly, artistically, I can’t fathom how it would happen,” said Wilson. “But hey, if Alan Moore writes it, I’d love to read it.”

link 2
The only thing worse than being forbidden from seeing Zack Snyder’s Watchmen movie by lawyers, would be for some studio fat cat to make a sequel. Unfortunately, there’s already been talk of making that happen.

Patrick Wilson, who plays Nite Owl in the film, tells MTV that they’ve been talking about it. He says, “Financially, they like to do that. But all of us, [director] Zack [Snyder] included, all go, ‘How on Earth could you do a sequel or prequel?” You couldn’t. Unless of course you want to spit on everything Watchmen stands for.

Wilson also acknowledged that he has a sequel clause built into his Watchmen contract, but was quick to point out that doesn’t really mean anything, since those are fairly standard. Says Wilson, “It’s the most ridiculous option. It’s sort of a financial way to protect the studio, and I would do the same thing.”

Wilson at least, seems to get what an awful idea this is though saying: “Certainly, artistically, I can’t fathom how it would happen… but hey, if Alan Moore writes it, I’d love to read it.” First you’d have to find Alan Moore’s cave, then you’d have to convince him to stop hating movies. Neither of those things seems likely, so maybe we’re safe.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

There is only one proper response to such rumors: :banghead:
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Alan Moore's head is going to explode. :lol:
This is utterly ridiculous. Even if they could get Moore to write something, and they can't, what the hell would it be about? Unless the movie completely misses the mark with the point of the story and they need a second one to finish it up, but in that case, the 1st film will suck so bad that no one will want a sequel.

I'd say that there is a 95% chance that there will be no sequel.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

havokeff wrote:Alan Moore's head is going to explode. :lol:
This is utterly ridiculous. Even if they could get Moore to write something, and they can't, what the hell would it be about?
Rorschach's journal. People finding out the lie. Nothing ever ends.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Moore said decades ago that Watchmen was self-contained and there was no need to write anything more about the characters - that includes side stories about the original Minutemen or anything of the like.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

NO.
[/Agent Smith]
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Post by Manus Celer Dei »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:Moore said decades ago that Watchmen was self-contained and there was no need to write anything more about the characters - that includes side stories about the original Minutemen or anything of the like.
The thing is, there's a lot of stuff about the Minutemen in the prose articles at the end of each chapter that would be pretty difficult to work into the rest of the film without messing the flow of the story up.

You couldn't really make a whole film out of what's there, though.
"We will build cities in a day!"
"Man would cower at the sight!"
"We will build towers to the heavens!"
"Man was not built for such a height!"
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Vendetta wrote:
This is utterly ridiculous. Even if they could get Moore to write something, and they can't, what the hell would it be about?
That's fucking retarded. Rorschach's journal covers exactly what we see in the movie. It would be like watching the same movie again.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

As stupid as making a sequel to 'Watchmen' is, I now hope it'll be filmed, so I can see Alan Moore literally explode with rage. Of course, this means putting up with bomb-sniffing dogs at the premier, and wearing body armor, but...
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Sidewinder wrote:
As stupid as making a sequel to 'Watchmen' is, I now hope it'll be filmed, so I can see Alan Moore literally explode with rage. Of course, this means putting up with bomb-sniffing dogs at the premier, and wearing body armor, but...
That's gonna happen even without a sequel. What comes out with every comic book novel?

A tie in paperback.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Ender wrote:
Sidewinder wrote:
That's gonna happen even without a sequel. What comes out with every comic book novel?

A tie in paperback.
Heh. A paperback of a movie based on a graphic novel that was originally comic book issues. Silly.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Don't forget - a TERRIBLE paperback farmed out to some hack. Hopefully it'll be Kevin Anderson for triple the laughs.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Having KJA do it would be like... well, I can only imagine a bigger way of pissing off so many people would be to have KJA do a sequel to the Bible. With more lasers.
lance
Jedi Master

Post by lance »

havokeff wrote:
Vendetta wrote:
That's fucking retarded. Rorschach's journal covers exactly what we see in the movie. It would be like watching the same movie again.
He is talking about a movie about people who find the journal, not the journal itself.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

havokeff wrote: That's fucking retarded. Rorschach's journal covers exactly what we see in the movie. It would be like watching the same movie again.
Go and read the last page of the comic again.

Everything Ozymandias worked for could come crashing to the floor if people knew that they'd been duped, and the last panel shows the tabloid editor reaching for the journal, implying that it will be published, albeit in a newspaper with a reputation for B-17s on the moon style crazy reporting.

The problem is that you couldn't easily write a superhero story about the effects of the journal being published, but there's certainly a story there, because nothing ever ends.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

lance wrote:
havokeff wrote:
Vendetta wrote: Rorschach's journal. People finding out the lie. Nothing ever ends.
He is talking about a movie about people who find the journal, not the journal itself.
Yeah, and what would be revealed in that movie as they either read the journal or discuss it or act on it... Everything we already know from the first movie. It would be a great sequel for an in universe character, but since we are the omniscient audience, it would be boring and rehash info and suck.
Sure, it could be about the actions of people reversing any changes made from the journals discovery, which of course would be about zero as the newspaper would have published the journal within weeks, if not days of the end of the first movie completely undoing any progress that would have come from Ozzy's scheme before it could even take effect.. Even if massive social changes on a global scale did occur, that story would be better suited to a documentary than a character driven movie.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Post by Adrian Laguna »

I don't see how Rorschach's Journal being published would change anything. The last entry basically says that Adrian Veidt is behind the murders of the Comedian and Moloch, as well as the attempt on his own life, and that he's planning something. Even if we assume that it's generally accepted that Rorschach's journal is actually is Rorschach's journal, not a given since the New Frontiersman is a lunatic newspaper (though with broken clock syndrome), the guy is widely considered to be insane, anything he says is automatically suspect. Then on top of that, Moloch's murder is basically accepted to be Rorschach's doing, and he's blaming it on someone else, someone whose integrity is considered to be far beyond reproach. I seriously doubt those accusations would go anywhere.

In short, no sequel is possible, not without large doses of stupid.
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

havokeff wrote:
Ender wrote:
Sidewinder wrote: As stupid as making a sequel to 'Watchmen' is, I now hope it'll be filmed, so I can see Alan Moore literally explode with rage. Of course, this means putting up with bomb-sniffing dogs at the premier, and wearing body armor, but...

A tie in paperback.
Heh. A paperback of a movie based on a graphic novel that was originally comic book issues. Silly.
Or, they'll just do what they always do when there's a movie based (however loosely) on a book, which is reprint the book but with movie-themed covers. But this is me ruining the joke.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Ah, one can only hope to see this. It'll be filled with some poor retard's farcial try at fanfiction of what happens afterwards. The whole thing will be laden with overtones of rising from the masses and being unique and the heart will be the TRUTH from a nutball's private journal will fly in the word of the savior of mankind.

I await the child of Nite-Owl and Silk Spectre leading the way to defeat the global Ozy Empire :P .
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

I don't think Ozzy even WANTS to run the world. He's smart enough to know what a headache that would be. He might run for Secretary-General of the UN, but that's about it.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:I don't think Ozzy even WANTS to run the world. He's smart enough to know what a headache that would be. He might run for Secretary-General of the UN, but that's about it.
Holy shit, no wai!!!

You mean the whole fact of what he thought of the Comedian's comments? Oh wait...how he engineered every plan towards a specfic goal? hOr maybe how he executed everything and the whole plot of how he fucking thought the only way to stave off nuclear armageddon via a trick to insure that humanity would be lead down a specfic plan for the short term?

Thank you for informing me this, lord captain retard obvious! :roll:
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
M
Redshirt

Post by M »

Mayabird wrote:
havokeff wrote: Heh. A paperback of a movie based on a graphic novel that was originally comic book issues. Silly.
Or, they'll just do what they always do when there's a movie based (however loosely) on a book, which is reprint the book but with movie-themed covers. But this is me ruining the joke.
Actually, after the movie 30 Days of Night came out, I saw a paperback tie-in at the bookstore. So there is precedent.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

havokeff wrote:
lance wrote:
havokeff wrote: That's fucking retarded. Rorschach's journal covers exactly what we see in the movie. It would be like watching the same movie again.
Yeah, and what would be revealed in that movie as they either read the journal or discuss it or act on it... Everything we already know from the first movie. It would be a great sequel for an in universe character, but since we are the omniscient audience, it would be boring and rehash info and suck.
A Watchmen sequel focused on the discovery of Rorschach's journal would probably turn out like a superhero version of All the President's Men, which would be pretty anti-climatic as a movie.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"