2008 NFL Season Thread- The Road to Super Bowl XLIII

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Falkenhayn wrote:What's up with Buffalo and owning the 4th Quarter?
They aren't as awesome at it as the Redskins who have only given up 7 points and that to one of the biggest offenses of the NFL in the last 2 minutes? :D

Anyway using that as my pivot...Way to go 'Skins. I figured 1-1 for this little 2 game road trip would be an excellent result but with Philly losing to the Bears and not looking as strong as they did against Dallas I'm suddenly thinking there is a chance for starting 4-1. Now that said the Eagles could very easily fire themelves up extra for this next meeting but I think the 'Skins have an actual chance whereas I wasn't sure before.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

My picks are 4-9 this week. I'm not good at this game. :oops: :lol:

And that MNF game was great! Very fun to watch, played hard by both teams. I still think Roethlisberger is an asshole, but oh well. I think I would rather see the Ravens win that one, but it was an entertaining game.
"Have you ever been fucked in the ass? because if you have you will understand why we have that philosophy"
- Alyrium Denryle, on HAB's policy of "Too much is almost enough"

"The jacketed ones are, but we're talking carefully-placed shits here. "-out of context, by Stuart
Cos Dashit
Jedi Knight

Re: 2008 NFL Season Thread- The Road to Super Bowl XLIII

Post by Cos Dashit »

Went 6 - 7 this week. Lot of big suprises, what's with Kansas City beating Denver? And Arizona bowing to the Jets? And I knew the Bears had a good defense, but I didn't think they'd be able to hold McNabb, even without their first string RB.

32 - 28 (0.533) overall, still acceptable numbers.

Go Dolphins.
Please forgive any idiotic comments, stupid observations, or dumb questions in above post, for I am but a college student with little real world experience.
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Picks for Week 5:

Tennessee at Baltimore
Kansas City at Carolina
Chicago at Detroit
Atlanta at Green Bay
Indianapolis at Houston
San Diego at Miami
Seattle at New York Giants
Washington at Philadelphia
Tampa Bay at Denver
Buffalo at Arizona- can't call
Cincinnati at Dallas
New England at San Francisco- This game I had forgotten about. Two months ago, it was only notable for being Brady's first homecoming.
Pittsburgh at Jacksonville
Minnesota at New Orleans
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

I have been watching football for thirty years ( I actually watched the Miracle of the Meadowlands when it happened.), and one constant has been Al Davis' vehement denial of an obvious fact: He constantly meddles with the Oakland Raiders, and his coaches are just puppets, from John Rauch to John Madden, Tom Flores (the best of the bunch), Mike Shanahan, Art Shell and so on...

This worked well enough for twenty years, when the Raiders became the professional sports team with the best winning percentage. It fell off for much of the 1990s (when Shanahan won two Super Bowls coaching the Broncos after Davis fired him and refused to pay his salary), but thanks to Jon Gruden the Silver & Black were once again a championship caliber team. However, Davis couldn't quit screwing with his coaches, so Gruden left for Tampa (winning a Super Bowl there instead of Oakland). Since then, the Faders have been the laughingstock of the NFL. All the while, Al Davis denies that his meddling is what causes the problem.

Well, Warren Sapp (who played for the Raitards until the end of last season) told Inside the NFL that it's actually worse than anyone imagined. According to Sapp, the Crypt Keeper was scrapping game plans the team had worked on all week, and was sending in plays from the owner's box upstairs in the middle of games!
:lol:

I think I speak for all Charger, Chief and Donkey fans when I say: Nice going, Al! 8)
Cos Dashit
Jedi Knight

Post by Cos Dashit »

My picks for week 5:

TEN @ BAL
KC @ CAR
CHI @ DET
ATL @ GB
IND @ HOU
SD @ MIA
SEA @ NYG
WAS @ PHI
TB @ DEN
BUF @ ARI
CIN @ DAL
NE @ SF
PIT @ JAC
MIN @ NO
Please forgive any idiotic comments, stupid observations, or dumb questions in above post, for I am but a college student with little real world experience.
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

Week 5. This looks to be an interesting week. :)

Tennessee at Baltimore
Kansas City at Carolina
Chicago at Detroit
Atlanta at Green Bay
Indianapolis at Houston
San Diego at Miami
Seattle at New York Giants
Washington at Philadelphia
Tampa Bay at Denver
Buffalo at Arizona
Cincinnati at Dallas
New England at San Francisco
Pittsburgh at Jacksonville
Minnesota at New Orleans
"Have you ever been fucked in the ass? because if you have you will understand why we have that philosophy"
- Alyrium Denryle, on HAB's policy of "Too much is almost enough"

"The jacketed ones are, but we're talking carefully-placed shits here. "-out of context, by Stuart
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Titans
Panthers
Bears
Packers
Colts
Chargers
Giants
Eagles
Donkeys
Cardinals
Cowboys
49ers
Jaguars
Vikings

My winners for the week.
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

If I ran the Philadelphia front desk at this point, I'd very seriously consider releasing David Akers. He's not to blame for what looks like a loss at this point, but the fact that the Eagles have begun to expect to not make field goals beyond forty yards, and it's a big factor as to why they're constantly blowing these close games. It's a shame that he got hurt three years ago, but he's not the same. It's time to bring a young leg.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

The Eagles are swiftly running out of time. Washington leads 23-17 with just about 3 minutes left in the 4th.

BTW, Giants crush Seattle 44-6.
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

I fucking hate Chad Pennington.
The radio commentators didn't have to point out that he's never lost to us -- I remember every fucking time.

edit: and my god man. Is CBS contractually obligated to televise EVERY FUCKING MINUTE of a 34-0 SHUTOUT (the only of the day that stayed that way!) just cause this here's Chief's country!? Fuck that noise, they shoulda cut at the end of the 3Q when it was 27-0.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Washington had the ball, went for it 4th & 1 and got the down. They will take the clock to 2:00 leading 23 to 17 at Philadelphia.

Shit.

UPDATE:

Game over man, game over.

The Redskins WIN 23-17.

Well, at least the Phillies won.
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

FSTargetDrone wrote:Washington had the ball, went for it 4th & 1 and got the down. They will take the clock to 2:00 leading 23 to 17 at Philadelphia.

Shit.

UPDATE:

Game over man, game over.

The Redskins WIN 23-17.

Well, at least the Phillies won.
This season is heading for the rocks.

New York- 4-0
Washington- 4-1
Dallas- 3-1
Philadelphia- 2-3

I still don't think that the Eagles are a bad team, but they just can't keep up with talent that the other three teams put out. The need to turn around, and quickly.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

The NFC East is almost without a doubt the most talented and competitive division. If it was possible for there to be 3 wild card teams you could almost bet on every team making the playoffs. Washington was the preseason pick as the 4th best and all they've done is take 2 of 3 on the road by week 5. With all home games left for division play and a nice series of chump to moderate opponents up for pretty much the entire division (since they play the AFC North and NFC West) between now and mid November when the divisional games kick up again all of these teams will have winning records.

I remain cautiously optimistic about my 'Skins but if 1-1 was a good split for these two games then 2-0 is fantastic. With the Rams, Browns, Lions, and Steelers in between them and a home game against Dallas they could be looking at 8-1 easily.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Cos Dashit
Jedi Knight

Post by Cos Dashit »

SPC Brungardt wrote:I fucking hate Chad Pennington.
The radio commentators didn't have to point out that he's never lost to us -- I remember every fucking time.
Don't hate our offense, hate yours; San Diego had a 25% 3rd down completion percentage, just 10 first downs, and LT ran for only 35 yards.

Or hate our defense.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

I wish Fat Ted Cottrell would quit playing with his man-boobs on the sideline and actually coach the defense. Let's see: you have a QB in Pennington who not exactly a deep passer and can't throw for shit on the run. So what does Cottrell do? He plays his DBs off TEN YARDS or more and sends only three men after the QB. Pennington fell down in the endzone. If the Chargers had simply rushed an extra man it would have been a safety or possibly a touchdown.

Instead, Pennington is allowed to drop back under zero pressure and cut the Chargers up.
:banghead:
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Cos Dashit wrote:
SPC Brungardt wrote:I fucking hate Chad Pennington.
Don't hate our offense, hate yours; San Diego had a 25% 3rd down completion percentage, just 10 first downs, and LT ran for only 35 yards.

Or hate our defense.
Raw numbers are nice and all, but big-plays make or break close games and one goal-line stand for the Dolphins OR an overthrown ball to a wide-open Vincent Jackson would make the difference. Hell, LT nearly broke one too.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda. :|
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Helllllooooooooooo Buffalo!

The Cards sure seem to take some frustration over the last two games out on the Bills today.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Today was the day where Buffalo and San Francisco needed to team up and help each other out...:(

Pittsburgh won a fun game though, got to break in my new recliner in very fun way.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Tsyroc wrote:Helllllooooooooooo Buffalo!

The Cards sure seem to take some frustration over the last two games out on the Bills today.
God our front four were atrocious today. And Perry Fewell's game plan...he ought to be in front of One Bills Drive in a hair shirt being switched by monks.
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
"Mix'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights."
-Gen. George Thomas, Union Army of the Cumberland
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I want the Cowboys to be good, so that when the Niners return to prominence I can have the old rivalry back. I hate them. Yet, I respect them and want them to be good. Like I want almost every single team in the NFL to be good.

Except for the Pittsburgh Fucking Steelers. I can not explain why, but I fucking despise that fucking team. Not just the team, but their coaches, their fans, those stupid fucking towels and everything else about that fucking franchise. I want them to lose. I want their owner to die and the new owner relocate them to L.A.. I want the gods of football to strike them down Marshall style. I just fucking HATE them. :finger:

Ok... The Niners. I'm not sure what is wrong with them, but for once, in the last few years, it isn't the offense, and it isn't Punctuation Boy. The defense seems to be the problem. They have talented players and a sound scheme, but it seems to lack aggressiveness. That killer instinct. Now, I'm not sure if this is the players fault or the coaches fault, but it seems like they are playing with trepidation, like they are afraid to make a mistake and give up the big play, which of course leads to giving up big plays.

More to come...
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

What a bloody shambles that was...

We're up by 17 in the fourth quarter and Rosenfels gives up two fumbles and an interception which the Colts turn into 21 points... :banghead:
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

The Spartan wrote:What a bloody shambles that was...

We're up by 17 in the fourth quarter and Rosenfels gives up two fumbles and an interception which the Colts turn into 21 points... :banghead:

Yeah, but that helicopter spin hit for the fumble which the Colts returned for a touchdown makes a great highlight. 8)

It's too bad about the second fumble that allowed the Colts to win though. :(
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

The one good thing about a humiliating defeat for the Chargers is watching the Union-Tribune's web forums in total meltdown. I found this gem of wisdom enlightening:
Football players are retards. Is it really that difficult to do your job? I mean if your job is to stay in a certain zone what is so god damn difficult about staying in that zone?
:lol:
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

So just in case you were left wondering whether or not there are any nice guys who play football, well, one of the nicest is blaming himself for an injury to another player on his side, and contemplating retirement for doing it.

Or, to wit, Kurt Warner was so upset about throwing a pass into enough coverage that the receiver wound up in the hospital that he sent a message to his wife saying that he would retire immediately. He, obviously, has not done that, but come on. Blaming himself? There are so many people in the league who wouldn't have half the guts to do that.