2008 NFL Season Thread- The Road to Super Bowl XLIII

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

starslayer
Jedi Knight

Re: 2008 NFL Season Thread- The Road to Super Bowl XLIII

Post by starslayer »

Havokeff wrote:Ok... The Niners. I'm not sure what is wrong with them, but for once, in the last few years, it isn't the offense, and it isn't Punctuation Boy. The defense seems to be the problem. They have talented players and a sound scheme, but it seems to lack aggressiveness. That killer instinct. Now, I'm not sure if this is the players fault or the coaches fault, but it seems like they are playing with trepidation, like they are afraid to make a mistake and give up the big play, which of course leads to giving up big plays.
It seems like the coaches. When the Niners brought pressure, they almost invariably sacked or hurried Cassell. But then they would stop bringing pressure (come on, 3-man rush? The fuck is this?), and the Patriots would go right ahead and march down the field and score on a huge time-eating drive. The players have the skill and heart to make stops all the damned time and give up very few big plays, but then they'd line up giving receivers ten yard cushions and bring too few guys up front so that Cassell had all fucking day to throw, invariably to an underneath route or whatever, and suddenly they have 10 yards and a first down. And the cycle repeats.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Simple rule of football: if you don't pressure the QB, he will cut you up. I saw a game back in 1990 when the 49ers took on the Falcons in Atlanta. The Falcons had the best secondary in the NFL with three Pro Bowlers (Scott Case, Brian Jordan, Deion Sanders). The Falcons also had a pass rush twice as limp as Rush Limbaugh's pecker sans bootleg boner pills. Joe Montana shit all over them, throwing 5 TDs to Jerry Rice alone, since the Falcons barely laid a hand on him. Sanders was skunked twice because the QB had all the time he wanted to throw.
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

My picks improved to 7-7 this week. 3 that I got wrong were decided by a touchdown or less each.

Hopefully the Browns can put up a fight against the Giants this week, but I'm not getting my hopes real high.
"Have you ever been fucked in the ass? because if you have you will understand why we have that philosophy"
- Alyrium Denryle, on HAB's policy of "Too much is almost enough"

"The jacketed ones are, but we're talking carefully-placed shits here. "-out of context, by Stuart
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Qwerty 42 wrote: Or, to wit, Kurt Warner was so upset about throwing a pass into enough coverage that the receiver wound up in the hospital that he sent a message to his wife saying that he would retire immediately. He, obviously, has not done that, but come on. Blaming himself? There are so many people in the league who wouldn't have half the guts to do that.
Warner's decision not to retire was helped when Anquan Boldin was released from the hospital, but I imagine he will probably step down after this year. No matter what he's still one of my favorite players of all time.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Early predictions:

Chicago at Atlanta
Miami at Houston
Baltimore at Indianapolis
Detroit at Minnesota
Oakland at New Orleans
Cincinnati at New York Jets
Carolina at Tampa Bay
St. Louis at Washington
Jacksonville at Denver
Dallas at Arizona
Philadelphia at San Francisco
Green Bay at Seattle
New England at San Diego
New York Giants at Cleveland
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Qwerty 42 wrote:Early predictions:

St. Louis at Washington
Really? I mean really? Dude you've predicted the team playing against Washington every single time so far this season. When the team is 4-1 I know its worthwhile to hold out hope for an upset but against the Rams at home?
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

CmdrWilkens wrote:

St. Louis at Washington
Really? I mean really? Dude you've predicted the team playing against Washington every single time so far this season. When the team is 4-1 I know its worthwhile to hold out hope for an upset but against the Rams at home?
I dislike Washington. I've been picking the teams I like more for each of the past two seasons.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

I would be optimistic about our chances against Miami this weekend, but they're playing better than they're supposed to and we're playing worse.

I give it a 50-50 chance at best... :banghead:
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Qwerty 42 wrote:
CmdrWilkens wrote:

St. Louis at Washington
I dislike Washington. I've been picking the teams I like more for each of the past two seasons.
I know and I think we tussled on this around week 5 or 6 last year but i'm just putting out there that I'm stunned.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Cos Dashit
Jedi Knight

Post by Cos Dashit »

Went 11 - 3 last week, now I'm 43 - 31 (0.581) overall.

Picks for week 6:

CHI @ ATL
MIA @ HOU
BAL @ IND
DET @ MIN
OAK @ NO
CIN @ NYJ
CAR @ TB
STL @ WAS
JAC @ DEN
DAL @ ARI
PHI @ SF
GB @ SEA
NE @ SD
NYG @ CLE

Go Dolphins.
Please forgive any idiotic comments, stupid observations, or dumb questions in above post, for I am but a college student with little real world experience.
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

Chicago at Atlanta
Miami at Houston
Baltimore at Indianapolis
Detroit at Minnesota
Oakland at New Orleans
Cincinnati at New York Jets
Carolina at Tampa Bay
St. Louis at Washington
Jacksonville at Denver
Dallas at Arizona
Philadelphia at San Francisco
Green Bay at Seattle
New England at San Diego
New York Giants at Cleveland

Since I'll be at the MNFgame in Cleveland, I'd really like to see this overwhelming upset happen. *crosses fingers* :D
"Have you ever been fucked in the ass? because if you have you will understand why we have that philosophy"
- Alyrium Denryle, on HAB's policy of "Too much is almost enough"

"The jacketed ones are, but we're talking carefully-placed shits here. "-out of context, by Stuart
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

This week's winners:

Bears
Chargers
Dolphins
Colts
Browns
Saints
Vikings
Jets
Panthers
Redskins
Seahawks
Cardinals
49ers
Jaguars
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

CmdrWilkens wrote:I know and I think we tussled on this around week 5 or 6 last year but i'm just putting out there that I'm stunned.
So are the 'Skins. :D
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

And HOT DAMN there have been some amazing and great finishes in the early games today!
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Pulling Victory from the Jaws of Defeat! 3 seconds left on the clock when we're done wrapping up the game!

We may be 1-4 but it is oh so sweet and oh so much better than 0-5. And we almost were... :shock:
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I just watched Mike Martz out coach HIMSELF and then Punctuation Boy completely fall apart all while the offensive line decided to take the 4th quarter off.

:banghead:

I've made a decision. No matter what happens the rest off this season, short of like, a 10 game winning streak, Nolan needs to go. I like the guy and he is an OK coach, but he isn't what this team needs to help them turn the corner.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

I've probably watched hundreds of football games in my life, and the score now stands at

Kickers successfully iced: Zero
Kickers who score a last-second field goal after having their first blocked attempt negated by the other side's coach calling timeout in order to ice the kicker: One
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

RedImperator wrote:I've probably watched hundreds of football games in my life, and the score now stands at

Kickers who score a last-second field goal after having their first blocked attempt negated by the other side's coach calling timeout in order to ice the kicker: One
While what you are talking about isn't the traditional meaning of "icing", Cleveland at Oakland last season.

That Nike commercial with L.T. and Troy Polamolu is great.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

At the risk of being effusive, Troy Polamalu seems like somebody who'd just be awesome to have on your team as a personality. He plays the game with zeal and physicality, and he plays fast and shows up everywhere.

Meanwhile, Chargers laid a beatdown on New England. The Pats added some dignity to the scoreline in garbage time.

It was All Over When: NE got the ball at 1st and Goal on the 1, and didn't punch it in for the first time in five years. On 2nd and Goal, Jamaal Williams tackled Kevin Faulk with Dan Koppen.

EDIT: The Bye was before the SF game. My bad.
Last edited by Falkenhayn on 2008-10-12 11:48pm, edited 1 time in total.
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
"Mix'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights."
-Gen. George Thomas, Union Army of the Cumberland
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

havokeff wrote:
CmdrWilkens wrote:I know and I think we tussled on this around week 5 or 6 last year but i'm just putting out there that I'm stunned.
So are the 'Skins. :D
Yeah that one was classic 90s skins...get the lead late then surrender a big play on 3rd and long to set up your opponent's winning score.

-Kingdom of Heaven
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

RedImperator wrote:I've probably watched hundreds of football games in my life, and the score now stands at

I know the announcers were making a big deal about the Dallas/Arizona game having that outcome but I think the only reason the first attempt was blocked is because the officials started blowing a whistle because of the time out so some of the Dallas guys hesitated allowing Arizona to get through. Then again, considering what happened in OT I might be wrong about that. :lol:

I absolutely was laughing my ass off in OT when Arizona blocked the punt and scored a touchdown to win the game. Ever since that ridiculously long Marion Barber touchdown reception they had been looking like they were trying to pooch screw themselves out of a win.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

Saw a bit of the Bucs-Panthers...not a great advertisement of the code.
I love the smell of September in the morning. Once we got off at Richmond, walked up to the 'G, and there was no game on. Not one footballer in sight. But that cut grass smell, spring rain...it smelt like victory.

Dynamic. When [Kuznetsov] decided he was going to make a difference, he did it...Like Ovechkin...then you find out - he's with Washington too? You're kidding.
- Ron Wilson
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Falkenhayn, here's a story for you about Polamalu. He took his family to dinner at a restaraunt in PA. He noticed that, although he was widely recognized in the place that people allowed him to have time with his family uninterrupted and out of gratitude he paid for everyone's meal in the joint. The guy is a class act and I was lucky enough to get to see him on TV all the time when he played for USC out here before he made the jump to the NFL.

Surprised at Havokeff's hate for the Steelers. That whole organization is what pro football should be all about, the only thing Steeler fans are guilty of is being overbearing on occaision (some more than others) but that's not unique to their fanbase.

I watched the Bears and Falcons primarily because the Saints and Raiders were on the other channel and the game was decidedly uninteresting, I never like watching Oakland if I have a choice and I'd just seen the Saints on MNF. I was rewarded with the best finish to a regular season game that i've seen in a long time. n
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Falkenhayn wrote:Meanwhile, Chargers laid a beatdown on New England. The Pats added some dignity to the scoreline in garbage time.

It was All Over When: NE got the ball at 1st and Goal on the 1, and didn't punch it in for the first time in five years. On 2nd and Goal, Jamaal Williams tackled Kevin Faulk with Dan Koppen.
Jamal is finally healthy. When he grabbed Koppen and threw him three yards deep in the backfield and stopped the runner cold, followed by fighting off a double team and helping crush the QB on 4th and goal, I had multiple gridirongasms.
:twisted:

Every QB or running back who plays against him probably empathizes with what Indiana Jones goes through in the boulder scene.

Other highlights:

Quentin Jammer fucking OWNS Randy Moss! Three catches for 26 yards and one of those was in garbage time. He shut down Moss in the AFC Championship, too.

The hit on the kickoff had the entire crowd saying "OOOOH!" so loud it drowned out John Madden.

You can see the video here (it's the 4th one). It includes the goal line stand and the hit Brandon Siler dished out on the kickoff.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Heh, I started watching that video and and ad for fantasy football with Warrenn Sapp came up. Not surprised to see that he was wearing Tampa Bay gear and not Raiders gear in the ad. Heheh.