Your embarrassing musical tastes

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Re: Your embarrassing musical tastes

Post by Chardok »

The older I get the less inclined I am to admit that the music I like is shit. For instance - 10 years ago, if you'd asked me if Bon Jovi was good I would have said "Hell no." Now, though...I readily admit that I even liked Bon Jovi's Mid-nineties album (Bed of Roses, Always, etc.)

So.....all Bon Jovi.
andrewgpaul
Jedi Council Member

Post by andrewgpaul »

Half a dozen Runrig albums lurk in my MP3 collection, along with Walk Like An Egyptian, U Can't Touch This and Land Down Under. I also used to own a couple of Enigma albums.
"So you want to live on a planet?"
"No. I think I'd find it a bit small and wierd."
"Aren't they dangerous? Don't they get hit by stuff?"
Schuyler Colfax
Jedi Master

Post by Schuyler Colfax »

Some Nickelback
A lot of Linkin Park
Fergie ~ London Bridges
Get some
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

I have quite a bit of 80s stuff which self-proclaimed music experts would ridicule for its cheesiness.

However, one album stands above all the others. That CD is 'The Circle and the Square', the magnum opus of Red Box and perhaps the pinnacle of mid-80s 'world music' feel-good synth-pop.

Yeah, I still play 'Heart of the Sun' and 'Lean On Me' sometimes.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Phantasee wrote:Some of the Back Street Boys. ABBA. Aqua. Bon Jovi(?) David Guetta(?) Fleetwood Mac, apparently. G-Unit and 50 Cent (I like the beats!). Good Charlotte (I'm sorry). Hannah Montana (wait, how did that get in there...). Kanye West. Katy Perry. Kylie Minogue (No regrets!). Madonna (especially Confessions... Madonna). Recent Mariah Carey. Jay-Z, Dr. Dre, N.W.A., Natasha Bedingfield, Nickelback, Ricky Martin (ONE ALBUM!), Rihanna (Every album...), S.O.A.P., Shop Boyz, Spice Girls, The Supremes, T-Pain, Taylor Swift, Tokio Hotel (well, I just have one album), Toy-Box, Village People, The Zombies, my Ministry of Sound collection, my Smokey and the Bandit soundtrack (I'm a fucking trucker, I have to own it!), my Top Gun sountrack (you've lost that loving feeling...).

This is all music I've gotten shit for listening to from people who tell me they have better taste in music than me.
Damnit Phant. I knew you were going to waltz into this thread with a laundry list of crap. I just knew it. :lol:
Some of it isn't all bad. NWA and Dr Dre are sweet. Top Gun soundtrack is kick ass.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Speaking about NWA they are big fans of the Bear's Favorite White Rappers. (yeah I know I should have linked to This song

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

What can I do, Havok? I have to live up to expectations, don't I?

I'm waiting for Stark to confirm I have no taste.
XXXI
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

I own every Avenged Sevenfold album that exists, including Diamonds In the Rough. Which has fantastic covers of Walk and Flash of the Blade, by the way. They're one of my top 3 bands but I get a lot of shit for liking them.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

weemadando wrote:
What the fuck is wrong with you? :twisted:

*edit* I'd always seen mountains of those fucking albums on the shelves and K-Mart, Brashes and Sanity back in the days of yore when I still looked for CDs (outside of JB) and always wondered who bought them... Now we know. You were their sole demographic. And in buying every album ever you are ensuring that they live on...
There was a brief period around the turn of the millenium where they were good. I was there when the worm turned on techno mix albums, man! Those were the days! :)
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Stark wrote:
weemadando wrote:
What the fuck is wrong with you? :twisted:

*edit* I'd always seen mountains of those fucking albums on the shelves and K-Mart, Brashes and Sanity back in the days of yore when I still looked for CDs (outside of JB) and always wondered who bought them... Now we know. You were their sole demographic. And in buying every album ever you are ensuring that they live on...
There was a brief period around the turn of the millenium where they were good. I was there when the worm turned on techno mix albums, man! Those were the days! :)
Yeah, that would be about the same time that we were buying Bomfunk MC, Sonic Animation and perhaps even MoS albums.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Stark wrote:Lol remember when MoS wasn't piles of horrible shit self-promotion? Many people don't! :D
Those were the good times. Hell, I still like the Human Traffic soundtrack, possibly one of the best compilations of the time.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

I regret nothing in my back catalogue. Every album I ever liked aside from the first two Limp Bizkit albums I still enjoy and listen to. The most embarassing ones to be discovered with, I guess, would be the Marilyn Manson albums because people might think I'm trying to emulate him or am retarded like his teenage fans or something.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
JointStrikeFighter
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by JointStrikeFighter »

Stark wrote:Lol remember when MoS wasn't piles of horrible shit self-promotion? Many people don't! :D
You mean it wasnt all "lets play who gave us a big bag of money"?
Schuyler Colfax
Jedi Master

Post by Schuyler Colfax »

Losonti Tokash wrote:I own every Avenged Sevenfold album that exists, including Diamonds In the Rough. Which has fantastic covers of Walk and Flash of the Blade, by the way. They're one of my top 3 bands but I get a lot of shit for liking them.
Diamonds in the Rough they're one of my favorite bands to, but I never heard of that album.
Get some
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

Losonti Tokash wrote:I own every Avenged Sevenfold album that exists, including Diamonds In the Rough. Which has fantastic covers of Walk and Flash of the Blade, by the way. They're one of my top 3 bands but I get a lot of shit for liking them.
They covered WOK? That's fucking bizarre, I couldn't imagine that song without the toughguy-with-something-to-prove brocore caveman vocals. It's like Pat Boone covering Crazy Train. How do the emo vocals fare when they reach the ROY-SPOK-WOK part of the song?
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

Mandy Moore's greatest hits

People always look at me funny when I go to that from Megadeth's Youthanasia, which is something that happens fairly frequently
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Schuyler Colfax wrote:Diamonds in the Rough they're one of my favorite bands to, but I never heard of that album.
It came with their Live at the LBC concert DVD. It's half b-sides, and the rest are covers or alternate versions of songs.
They covered WOK? That's fucking bizarre, I couldn't imagine that song without the toughguy-with-something-to-prove brocore caveman vocals. It's like Pat Boone covering Crazy Train. How do the emo vocals fare when they reach the ROY-SPOK-WOK part of the song?
It's here. Like I said, I really like it. Probably the only part I'd consider to be a bit weak is the line "can't you hear the violins playing your song?"
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

I have enjoyed some J-Pop.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

I own not one but two Aqua albums. I still argue that in spite of Barbie Girl and perhaps Dr Jones they where actually ok for their purpose. I love Roses are Red and Candyman from the first album.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Lord Pounder wrote:I own not one but two Aqua albums. I still argue that in spite of Barbie Girl and perhaps Dr Jones they where actually ok for their purpose. I love Roses are Red and Candyman from the first album.
I have both as well. My Oh My and Roses Are Red were quite good, and I liked Candyman too. Other than Bumble Bee and Cartoon Heroes, though, I can't say I enjoyed their second album as much.
XXXI
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

The Flash Gordon Soundtrack.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Post by Manus Celer Dei »

I was a big fan of Insane Clown Posse back in high school, and still have most of their albums. I still enjoy a lot of them as well, although most of it is juvenile crap.
"We will build cities in a day!"
"Man would cower at the sight!"
"We will build towers to the heavens!"
"Man was not built for such a height!"
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

MariusRoi wrote:The Flash Gordon Soundtrack.
Whoa now. That album is fucking genius! :D
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

I have over 17,000 songs on my Itunes currently. Including everything by Elton John, Michelle Branch, The Smiths, The Cure, Genesis and Phil Collins, Tori Amos, around 5000 various rap songs. I actually really want to expand my collection badly as well, because I simply love having songs on my comp. I don't even need to listen to them, I just like the idea of someone saying "I wish I could hear push by Matchbox 20" and saying, here let me give you everything they've ever done.

Most embarrassing thing might either be the Kate Bush discography, Cyndi Laupers Greatest Hits, Michael Jacksons Thriller, and more crap than I can recount.
A teenage girl is just a teenage boy who can get laid.
-GTO

We're not just doing this for money; we're doing this for a shitload of money!