2008 NFL Season Thread- The Road to Super Bowl XLIII

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Re: 2008 NFL Season Thread- The Road to Super Bowl XLIII

Post by CarsonPalmer »

What makes Singletary better than Johnson, though, is that Jimmy was picking on a backup to establish his credibility while the stars ran wild. Its easy to humiliate a scrub.

Singletary smacked down his biggest playmaker, instantly making it clear that EVERYONE plays by the same rules. That will definitely endear him to the team.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Yes and no. The players could do whatever they wanted off the field. On-field fuck-ups were not tolerated for long.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Even though it's the whole team having a bad season, and Palmer is injured, I cannot see the Bengals being able to justify two first round picks for Chad Johnson anymore. (Sorry, I'm not going to be calling him by his glorified nickname even if he does end up in a 49er jersey).

Getting Palmer away would be more difficult, because he is the only chance the Bengals have of being even an average team next year.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Well I think at this point Ocho-Cinco (which is his legal name now, so that's what I will call him) and Palmer are both going to want out after this season. It was one thing when they all first got there to try to turn the Bengals around and make them a power again and they had hope and youth and REALLY believed they would do it. (Amazing what one knee injury can do to a team.) Now 4 years later, it is just the same ole Bungles and they have probably had enough of it. Cincinnati is the only team in the league more in need of an ownership change than the 49ers.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Elfdart wrote:Digging out of the hole? I think not. They're digging all the way to China.

There's no excuse for scoring 30 points and losing. The Chargers' defense blows. Ted Cottrell has got to GO!
The Chargers have the advantage of playing in the worst division in football, though.

I was disgusted by the lack of pass rush in that game, though. Combined, Brees and Rivers threw over 80 passes and were never sacked (I'm discounting the intentional safety Brees took, rather cleverly, at the end of the game). They also never had to scramble, really, when they were trying to get away from the rush.
Well I think at this point Ocho-Cinco (which is his legal name now, so that's what I will call him) and Palmer are both going to want out after this season. It was one thing when they all first got there to try to turn the Bengals around and make them a power again and they had hope and youth and REALLY believed they would do it. (Amazing what one knee injury can do to a team.) Now 4 years later, it is just the same ole Bungles and they have probably had enough of it. Cincinnati is the only team in the league more in need of an ownership change than the 49ers.
What about Oakland? :P

And Johnson probably isn't going to be able to help the Niners. Even if this season is a fluke, and he's still the same player he was two years ago, the Niners just need to improve their defense so they don't get down two scores and have to abandon the run before it gets started. I don't remember the last time Gore ran the ball in the second half, and he's still compiling near-100 yard games (sometimes in the first quarter). They really just need a QB and some safeties that can influence throws.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Master of Ossus wrote:
What about Oakland? :P
I'm still torn on Davis. Yeah he is a budinsky, but the Raiders were in the SuperBowl in 2002. He still drafts good players and takes chances that I like. (The 4th round flyer on Micheal Bush) If he can just find a coach he can co-exist with and keep some stability at that position for the team, I think they would be fine and even good. And he isn't afraid to spend money. The Bengals only make a good choice in personal when they absolutely have no choice (i.e. Palmer), and most of the time make poor decisions, especially where personality is an issue. They are also recognized as the league misers when it comes to the pocket book. No... The Bengals hands down. John York just doesn't know dick about football, but he is at least trying. I still wish he would have sold the team to Steve Young, Brent Jones and their backers.
And Johnson probably isn't going to be able to help the Niners. Even if this season is a fluke, and he's still the same player he was two years ago, the Niners just need to improve their defense so they don't get down two scores and have to abandon the run before it gets started. I don't remember the last time Gore ran the ball in the second half, and he's still compiling near-100 yard games (sometimes in the first quarter). They really just need a QB and some safeties that can influence throws.
I agree, (and commented on the safety issue a page or so ago) but now all that and a Chad Jonson lining up on the outside? What would Gore be able to do then?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Fuck you Peyton Manning! The Titan's secondary are wise to your shit. Keep putting it up their for Wayne and Harrison and they'll keep fucking up your completion percentage.

Maybe you should have thought about a running game before driving the league into the ground with your bullshit "Calvin Ball" (creating new rules to favour you) passing game.

Yes, I am still VERY bitter about the fucking Pass Interference and other "pro-Peyton" rules changes which have been made over the past years.

*edit* Oh yes. Fuck you very much Peyton. Now go and blubber like a girl in the locker rooms.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

What a turn around in that game. For once in a season I agree with Tony Kornhole. The Titans proved tonight they were the real deal and Kerry Collins proved for the first time in years that he is capable of leading a team.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Darth Fanboy wrote:What a turn around in that game. For once in a season I agree with Tony Kornhole. The Titans proved tonight they were the real deal and Kerry Collins proved for the first time in years that he is capable of leading a team.
Indeed, had anyone said to me in the past 2 years that Kerry Collins was going to step up, lead the team and to top it all off, pick apart a D like that, I would have laughed them off. Especially given how much the Titans usually love the run.
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

In other news, I'm 10-4 this week! Career high! :D 8)

What's with all the Peyton hate? Did I miss something? :?
"Have you ever been fucked in the ass? because if you have you will understand why we have that philosophy"
- Alyrium Denryle, on HAB's policy of "Too much is almost enough"

"The jacketed ones are, but we're talking carefully-placed shits here. "-out of context, by Stuart
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Dark Flame wrote:In other news, I'm 10-4 this week! Career high! :D 8)

What's with all the Peyton hate? Did I miss something? :?
That I hate the changes made to the NFL rules purely for the purpose of bumping passing stats and making big passes safer. Which in turn bumps viewer numbers.

Combine this with me being a Ravens fan (and thus having my team's bump and run defence outlawed) and my displeasure with Manning, who is at the centre of this whole bullshit just keeps getting worse.

Nevermind the potential nepotism involved in the rules changes with his father's alleged involvement in setting up the changes.

Mainly though, I just dislike Peyton Manning, he's an amazing player to be sure, but the man just rubs me the wrong way.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Fuckin' A!

This was long overdue. I don't know what A.J. Smith had in his bong when he hired a guy like Ted Cottrell, who had already ruined three other teams' defenses (Bills, Vikings, and Jets all ranked last in pass defense when he was done with them) and now the Chargers' defense sucks, too. How bad do you have to suck on defense when you can't get a single interception OR sack in nine quarters of play?
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Shit. I forgot Rivera was even on your coaching staff. The Bears hosed him good by not renewing his contract, as he was a seriously talked about name for HC positions. Good change.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Week 9:

New York Jets at Buffalo
Detroit at Chicago
Jacksonville at Cincinnati
Baltimore at Cleveland
Tampa Bay at Kansas City
Houston at Minnesota
Arizona at St. Louis
Green Bay at Tennessee
Miami at Denver
Dallas at New York Giants
Atlanta at Oakland
Philadelphia at Seattle
New England at Indianapolis
Pittsburgh at Washington
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Oh, and those of you who aren't Washington fans had better be pulling for Pittsburgh, because superstition dictates that if Pittsburgh wins, so does Obama.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Elfdart wrote:
SPC Brungardt wrote:
Elfdart wrote:Digging out of the hole? I think not. They're digging all the way to China.

There's no excuse for scoring 30 points and losing. The Chargers' defense blows. Ted Cottrell has got to GO!
*sigh*

Of course I'm in Kansas still so I don't have the luxury of making the sort of judgments I have in the past but I have to wonder, are we still giving wideouts 10 yard cushions what seems like 3/4 of every play?
Yep. Third and long: rush three, give 10-yard cushions. There's a reason Trent Edwards completed 83% of his passes last week. The defense can't get off the fucking field.
:banghead:
Hehe, I know. Previously-mentioned-geographical-situation still standing -- I've only seen televised something like ... 3 games? -- I listened to all of them but the 1st half this last week's game (woke up late :)) and I can read the stats: going into week 8 against the Saints, we led the NFL in tackles. There's only one reason why that is, we're on the field most of the damn time. It isn't just a defensive issue, our running game's also suffering with LT's health, in addition to the shift away from the running game without Schottenheimer becoming very evident now.

We score like lightning in a bottle and our defense bends, bends, bends, then breaks. End result being huge, high scoring shootouts where our defense goes from bad to worse, exhausted, and the offense is pressured to simply put points on the board, and not just maintain control of the ball. We can be pass-heavy with LT doing his thing and not necessarily FOCUSING on ball-control, but the current combination of a quick scoring offense and no-pass-rush defense means we put up 32 and more points and LOSE.

Cotrell is gone though. :)
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

If it was a matter of the defense being on the field too long, they would be giving up a disproportionate number of yards and points late in the game. But that's not the case: the defense sucks early and sucks often.

I remember the same excuses back when Don Coryell was coaching the team (Waaaaaah! The offense is too good and scores too quickly! Waaaaaah!). Hank Bauer said it best on Missing Rings:
Quit yer whining and play. All you have to do is stop them for THREE PLAYS and make them punt -and we'll score again! Shut up, make a play and get off the field!
Quarterbacks get sacked just by accident, and picks are bound to happen. But the Chargers can't do either for more than two games in a row? There's no excuse for a defense to play like pussies.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Qwerty 42 wrote:Oh, and those of you who aren't Washington fans had better be pulling for Pittsburgh, because superstition dictates that if Pittsburgh wins, so does Obama.
Except that Washington lost in the last game before the '04 election and Kerry still lost. The streak/superstition is over.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

New York Jets at Buffalo
Detroit at Chicago
Jacksonville at Cincinnati
Baltimore at Cleveland
Tampa Bay at Kansas City
Houston at Minnesota
Arizona at St. Louis
Green Bay at Tennessee
Miami at Denver
Dallas at New York Giants
Atlanta at Oakland
Philadelphia at Seattle
New England at Indianapolis
Pittsburgh at Washington

I think the Miami- Denver game will be an interesting one to watch. It all depends on who shows up for each team.
"Have you ever been fucked in the ass? because if you have you will understand why we have that philosophy"
- Alyrium Denryle, on HAB's policy of "Too much is almost enough"

"The jacketed ones are, but we're talking carefully-placed shits here. "-out of context, by Stuart
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Elfdart wrote:If it was a matter of the defense being on the field too long, they would be giving up a disproportionate number of yards and points late in the game. But that's not the case: the defense sucks early and sucks often.

I remember the same excuses back when Don Coryell was coaching the team (Waaaaaah! The offense is too good and scores too quickly! Waaaaaah!). Hank Bauer said it best on Missing Rings:
Quit yer whining and play. All you have to do is stop them for THREE PLAYS and make them punt -and we'll score again! Shut up, make a play and get off the field!
Quarterbacks get sacked just by accident, and picks are bound to happen. But the Chargers can't do either for more than two games in a row? There's no excuse for a defense to play like pussies.
Well I hope you're right, I'm about this close *puts thumb and index finger ~1cm apart* to taking the Chargers front-bumper plate off my car and putting the California state flag. When / if we fail to make the post-season, I sure will.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Ah, the fair weather fans of San Diego. :lol:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

It would be so cool if the Eagles were to all wear Phillies hats tomorrow, but Roger Goodell would have none of it.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Qwerty 42 wrote:It would be so cool if the Eagles were to all wear Phillies hats tomorrow, but Roger Goodell would have none of it.
This is the NFL, we are above such plebian things as baseball or showing solidarity with the hometown heroes.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Qwerty 42 wrote:It would be so cool if the Eagles were to all wear Phillies hats tomorrow, but Roger Goodell would have none of it.
They should have just done it without asking.

This week's victors: Bills, Jaguars, Browns, Bears, Texans, Buccaneers, Rams, Dolphins, Titans, Falcons, Cowboys, Steelers, Eagles, Colts
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Wow. The Raiders are just fucking awful. What pisses me off though, is that for some reason a Raiders home game is on Fox. WTF? I have to miss the Cowboys at the Giants for this?
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)