2008 NFL Season Thread- The Road to Super Bowl XLIII

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Re: 2008 NFL Season Thread- The Road to Super Bowl XLIII

Post by Falkenhayn »

In retrospect though, wasn't it a stroke of fortune?

The Bills have come crashing back down to Earth in a smoking, flaming ball of mediocrity. Kris Jenkins KILLED us.
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
"Mix'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights."
-Gen. George Thomas, Union Army of the Cumberland
CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

And Bill Belicheck's arrogance brings the Pats down. Seriously, what was he thinking when he challenged the 12 men on the field in the third quarter? He had nothing to gain, and he wasted a timeout they could have used at the end of the game.
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

If the playoffs were today:

AFC:

Tennessee
Pittsburgh
New England
Denver
Baltimore
New York

On the couch: Buffalo, Miami, Indianapolis

NFC:

New York
Carolina
Arizona
Chicago
Washington
Tampa Bay

On the couch: Philadelphia, Atlanta, Dallas, Green Bay, Minnesota, New Orleans
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

So apparently monumental collapses are the cool thing in Cleveland.. 24 STRAIGHT POINTS GIVEN UP TO BLOW A TWO TOUCHDOWN LEAD!!!!

:finger: :banghead:

Why the fuck don't we put in Brady Quinn so we can actually have a real (and effective) short to medium passing game. That would be better than our current offensive formula of run for no gain- run for no gain- throw deep into tight coverage- punt. That shit doesn't work on a consistent basis. DA should have thrown 3 picks instead of 1. The touchdown was only saved by Braylon's athletic ability, and the other was saved by Winslow raping a DB to get to the ball. Fuck. We could be in fucking playoff contention, but NO! Fucking mediocrity.. Again.
"Have you ever been fucked in the ass? because if you have you will understand why we have that philosophy"
- Alyrium Denryle, on HAB's policy of "Too much is almost enough"

"The jacketed ones are, but we're talking carefully-placed shits here. "-out of context, by Stuart
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

F'in skins got rocked. When you can't get a TD after 2 straight possessions which START inside the opponents 40 you know its gonna be a bad night. Oh well at least it means an Obama landslide.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Cos Dashit
Jedi Knight

Post by Cos Dashit »

The AFC East is tightening up. Bills, Pats, and Jets at 5-3 and the Fins at 4-4. The Jets/Dolphins/Bills are on the way up, while the Pats are starting to panic. This could easily be a division with all .500 or above teams.
Please forgive any idiotic comments, stupid observations, or dumb questions in above post, for I am but a college student with little real world experience.
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

Cos Dashit wrote:The AFC East is tightening up. Bills, Pats, and Jets at 5-3 and the Fins at 4-4. The Jets/Dolphins/Bills are on the way up, while the Pats are starting to panic. This could easily be a division with all .500 or above teams.
As of right now they are all .500 or above.

And it seems that Romeo Crennel listened to me, because Brady Quinn will be starting Thursday's game against Denver. Despite what Trent Dilfer says, this move should have been made weeks ago, and it's a good decision.

Also, Trent Dilfer is a whiny little bitch because the Browns benched him so obviously we're "dysfunctional." :finger:
"Have you ever been fucked in the ass? because if you have you will understand why we have that philosophy"

"The jacketed ones are, but we're talking carefully-placed shits here. "-out of context, by Stuart
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Dark Flame wrote:And it seems that Romeo Crennel listened to me, because Brady Quinn will be starting Thursday's game against Denver. Despite what Trent Dilfer says, this move should have been made weeks ago, and it's a good decision.

Also, Trent Dilfer is a whiny little bitch because the Browns benched him so obviously we're "dysfunctional." :finger:
Please. :roll: The Browns have been a disorganized bunch of fan bowing idiots since they came back into the league. Even Green Bay, WHICH IS OWNED BY THE FANS, doesn't suck their fans retarded dicks like the Browns do.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

While Wolf Blitzer is talking on my TV, I'll talk about the real important stuff: Week 10 Predictions.

Denver at Cleveland
New Orleans at Atlanta
Tennessee at Chicago
Jacksonville at Detroit
Baltimore at Houston
Seattle at Miami
Green Bay at Minnesota
Buffalo at New England
St. Louis at New York Jets
Carolina at Oakland
Indianapolis at Pittsburgh
Kansas City at San Diego
New York Giants at Philadelphia
San Francisco at Arizona
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

havokeff wrote: Please. :roll: The Browns have been a disorganized bunch of fan bowing idiots since they came back into the league. Even Green Bay, WHICH IS OWNED BY THE FANS, doesn't suck their fans retarded dicks like the Browns do.
That may be true, but Trent Dilfer is a whiney bitch, and DA should have been benched long ago. It was stupid to keep both of them around making as much money as they are for this long. Hopefully Brady can at least get us back to a respectable record.

Denver at Cleveland
New Orleans at Atlanta
Tennessee at Chicago
Jacksonville at Detroit
Baltimore at Houston
Seattle at Miami
Green Bay at Minnesota
Buffalo at New England
St. Louis at New York Jets
Carolina at Oakland
Indianapolis at Pittsburgh
Kansas City at San Diego
New York Giants at Philadelphia
San Francisco at Arizona

Also, did anybody see them saying on ESPN about how Belicheck was doing his best coaching? What is that all about? His clock management sucked, his challenging sucked, and his team lost. :wtf:

Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Dark Flame wrote:
havokeff wrote: Please. :roll: The Browns have been a disorganized bunch of fan bowing idiots since they came back into the league. Even Green Bay, WHICH IS OWNED BY THE FANS, doesn't suck their fans retarded dicks like the Browns do.
That may be true, but Trent Dilfer is a whiney bitch, and DA should have been benched long ago. It was stupid to keep both of them around making as much money as they are for this long. Hopefully Brady can at least get us back to a respectable record.
Not really. I had the chance to follow him the last couple of years in SF and was a very un whinny stand up guy. And no, they shouldn't have benched DA long ago or now. Is it his fault that Winslow is a walking medical trauma ward, or that Braylon Edwards has 14 DROPS 8 games into the season, or that the defense is mediocre at best as well as the run game? No.

Quinn is going to have the exact same problems that DA has had... THE BROWNS.
Also, did anybody see them saying on ESPN about how Belicheck was doing his best coaching? What is that all about? His clock management sucked, his challenging sucked, and his team lost. :wtf:
He is 5-3 with and aging defense, a pretty weak running game and a QB that hadn't started a football game SINCE HIGH SCHOOL. His coaching is excellent. If he could still cheat, they could be 7-1. :wink:
Last edited by Havok on 2008-11-05 05:25pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Wow. The Raiders cut D'Angelo Hall. Because he is the problem. :roll: I hope the 49ers scoop him up right fucking quick, but at the same time, I want him to go to a good team. :lol:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

You know, I was looking at the 4 game stretch of opponents that were all loses, prior to the last Seahawks loss, of the 49ers.

The Saints
The Eagles
The Patriots
The Giants.

Did anyone, including myself, because I didn't, really think that the Niners would win any of these 4 games? Especially before Brady got injured. Outside of the close 1st game loss to Arizona, and the last loss blowout by the Seahawks, which at the beginning of the year, most people would suspected would happen anyway... everything is basically working out as I predicted.

If the Niners had just been a little better in the loses and INT O'Fumblin hadn't commited quite as many turnovers and they still had the same record... I thin Nolan would still be the head coach.

Just a thought.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

I'm not optimistic this week. We're inconsistent even during good weeks but Schaub is still our best bet and since he's injured we have to go with Rosenfels. Against the Baltimore defense, even one that isn't what it used to be, I'm not expecting much.

We might be able to have a battle of defenses if our defense step-up, but they tend to be inconsistent, too.

We've got most of the pieces in place we just need them to work together. :evil:
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

havokeff wrote: Not really. I had the chance to follow him the last couple of years in SF and was a very un whinny stand up guy. And no, they shouldn't have benched DA long ago or now. Is it his fault that Winslow is a walking medical trauma ward, or that Braylon Edwards has 14 DROPS 8 games into the season, or that the defense is mediocre at best as well as the run game? No.

Quinn is going to have the exact same problems that DA has had... THE BROWNS.
I haven't followed Dilfer for long, but his commentary on the Browns was shit. Why in the world would a good team bench their QB? Case in point the Bears on their way to the Super Bowl. Grossman was holding them back, but they were still winning because they had a good team.

Winslow and Edwards do indeed have problems, and Jurevicious is out for the year, but DA is still playing shittily. Even when these guys, or others, get open he misses throws. The throw at the end of the game against Washington was his fault. It never even came close to Braylon. Plus, his movement is awful. There was one play last week where pressure came from his right, so he rolled right fucking into it! What was that all about? His accuracy sucks, his mobility sucks, his decision making is shitty.

We need a QB with some accuracy to get these guys more catchable balls. And they need to catch them and make plays. The blame should be spread around, but Anderson is the problem most easily fixed.

As for Winslow, I'm all in favor of 2 TE sets to have him and Heiden on the field at the same time.
He is 5-3 with and aging defense, a pretty weak running game and a QB that hadn't started a football game SINCE HIGH SCHOOL. His coaching is excellent. If he could still cheat, they could be 7-1. :wink:
Good points, but he still had terrible clock management and a retarded challenge. Overall he's coaching very well by the league's standards, but it's not his best.

Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

One factor in the shitty play of Anderson is Braylon Edwards' chronic case of butterfingers. How many TDs has he dropped this year? It's not just the drops. Once a receiver shows he's not reliable to catch the ball, the QB often tries to force-feed it to other players, and that leads to picks.
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

And I hear this morning that our leading tackler is out for the season, goddammit.

I had hoped we'd be 8-8 or maybe even 9-7 with a wild card shot this year. Now I think we'll be lucky to make it to 8-8.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Your division is just way too tough. If you were in the AFC or NFC Western Divisions, you might have a chance. Tennessee is by far the best team in the league and Indy still has quite a lot left in the tank.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

havokeff wrote:Quinn is going to have the exact same problems that DA has had... THE BROWNS.
OK. So maybe I am an asshole. :lol: But lets keep in mind that this is the Denver defense. :wink:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

havokeff wrote:
havokeff wrote:Quinn is going to have the exact same problems that DA has had... THE BROWNS.
OK. So maybe I am an asshole. :lol: But lets keep in mind that this is the Denver defense. :wink:

So far Quinn is playing quite well. 2 TD's, no picks, a bunch of yards. Hopefully the defense can stop sucking long enough to win this game. 27-30, 3 minutes left.......

Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

HA! I take it back! I was right the first time! What an awesome collapse... I mean a 93 yard TD? Wow. Quinn looked good though.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Elfdart wrote:Your division is just way too tough. If you were in the AFC or NFC Western Divisions, you might have a chance. Tennessee is by far the best team in the league and Indy still has quite a lot left in the tank.
*sigh* I know.

And we damn near beat Indy, too. If only the game had been 55 minutes. :evil:
Soy un perdedor.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

havokeff wrote:Wow. The Raiders cut D'Angelo Hall. Because he is the problem. :roll: I hope the 49ers scoop him up right fucking quick, but at the same time, I want him to go to a good team. :lol:
They've got to make cap room for the next over-the-hill over hyped washed up free agent that they are going to over pay to under perform. :D

Maybe Jerry Jones can unload someone from the Cowboys who fits that description on Davis :twisted:
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Tsyroc wrote:
havokeff wrote:Wow. The Raiders cut D'Angelo Hall. Because he is the problem. :roll: I hope the 49ers scoop him up right fucking quick, but at the same time, I want him to go to a good team. :lol:
They've got to make cap room for the next over-the-hill over hyped washed up free agent that they are going to over pay to under perform. :D

Maybe Jerry Jones can unload someone from the Cowboys who fits that description on Davis :twisted:
Would anybody be surprised if Terrell Owens ended his career with the Raiders?

Incidentally, when I play Madden in Franchise mode, my favorite thing to do is take over a bad team and turn it around. The Raiders are always perfect for this because 1) they're terrible, 2) it's easy to move them back to Los Angeles, and 3) they always have overpriced skill players I can trade away for draft picks. I wound up with seven first round picks one time--got a good young QB, a dynamite running back, and a monster offensive line out of them.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

havokeff wrote:HA! I take it back! I was right the first time! What an awesome collapse... I mean a 93 yard TD? Wow. Quinn looked good though.

Quinn had a very good game. I wish the rest of the team had played better. There goes another season... :banghead: