2008 NFL Season Thread- The Road to Super Bowl XLIII

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Havok
Miscreant

Re: 2008 NFL Season Thread- The Road to Super Bowl XLIII

Post by Havok »

RedImperator wrote:Would anybody be surprised if Terrell Owens ended his career with the Raiders?
I would. Owens is many things, and love him or hate him, he is not dumb. If he goes anywhere after Dallas it would probably be to Washington or New England.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Heh. Tom Cable is in the dealership right now. I'm debating whether or not to tell him to keep his chin up or smack him in the back of the head and ask; "Whadda ya? Fukin stoopid?" :lol:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

He probably decided to splurge in a fit of joy when he heard that Al hadn't put a stop payment on his paycheck like he did with Kiffin.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

:D Nah. He's been in before, just not as the head coach. Our sales manager played for him at Cal. He is a really cool guy actually. He may or may not have been my source for the info that I had on Dante Cullpeper. :wink: I asked him today... "D'Angelo Hall. You or the old guy?" I got a chuckle and a look that certainly answered my question. I patted him on the back and wished him good luck. He got that I wasn't talking about tomorrow's game. :D
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Let's play a little SDN NFL "Buy or Sell":

The Arizona Cardinals as Legitimate NFC Championship Contenders:

Sell, I don't believe that the Cardinals have a chance from emerging out of the East, and the only reason they are even a contender in the first place is because of how obscenely rotten the NFC West is. The Cardinals will make the playoffs, but aren't good bets to go further than the first round in my opinion.

The Dallas Cowboys missing the playoffs:

Buy, some people might think they are still going to sneak in and at the end of this week they will be no worse than a game out of the last spot. But they have more games in their division left that right now do not look positive for them, as well as games with Pittsburgh and Baltimore to finish their games with the AFC North. They'll beat the Niners and Seahawks, but I would not be surprised to see the Cowboys finish the year 0-4 in their last four games (@PIT, vs. NYG, vs. BAL, @PHI).

The Titans will lose fewer games than the Lions will win.

Buy, the Lions are just fucking awful.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Put me down for "buy" on all three. Winners for the week:

Falcons, Bears, Jaguars, Ravens, Dolphins, Packers, Patriots, Jets, Panthers, Steelers, Chargers, Eagles, Cardinals
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

So 40-0 Jets at the half. The Rams are just so bad right now.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Sell, Buy, Buy.

I just don't believe in the Cardinals. They would actually have to get to the NFCCG for me to buy this. :D

The Cowboys are done. The Giants are going to win the division and I think the Redskins or Eagles and some one from the NFC South will get the two wild card spots.

The Lions are fucking awful. They will go defeated this year. I really think it is time to rebuild that franchise from the ground up. Trade as many players as you can for draft picks, fire the entire coaching staff and front office. Bring in the best coach that is out there... Marty Schottenhiemer, and throw as much money as you can at some of the top executives in the league.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

I think you're right about Detroit. Look at their schedule (home games in boldface):

Carolina Panthers
TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS
TENNESSEE TITANS
MINNESOTA VIKINGS
Indianapolis Colts
NEW ORLEANS SAINTS
Green Bay Packers

All of those teams are in the hunt for the playoffs and can't afford to take the Lions for granted. So we can forget about Detroit catching a bad team napping. 0-16 is the most likely outcome for that sorry bunch.

I also agree about bringing in Schottenheimer. He chokes in playoff games worse than any coach since George Allen Sr, but he never coached a team that was an embarrassment to the game of football. The fans in Detroit have been deprived of decent football for so long that an 8-8 season would be the rapture for them.

Unfortunately, they're more likely to bring back Matt Millen.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

The Eagles lose to the New York Football Giants, 36-31.
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Yesterday was a fucking joke. I actually got up and walked out of the stadium before the game was over and I never do that.

41 to 13. I would be embarrassed if I was on that team.
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

FSTargetDrone wrote:The Eagles lose to the New York Football Giants, 36-31.
Fucking Eagles.

That's probably going to go on my tombstone.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

The Spartan wrote:Yesterday was a fucking joke. I actually got up and walked out of the stadium before the game was over and I never do that.

How about that 47-3 thrashing of the Rams by the Jets?
RedImperator wrote:Fucking Eagles.

That's probably going to go on my tombstone.
How about:

"I've gotta do a better job"

Or:

"I'm not gonna get into that"

Or:

"Time's yours"

Thank the maker for the Phillies. All hail Charlie!
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

FSTargetDrone wrote:
The Spartan wrote:Yesterday was a fucking joke. I actually got up and walked out of the stadium before the game was over and I never do that.

How about that 47-3 thrashing of the Rams by the Jets?
Yeah but I don't care about the Ram. :wink:

More seriously, 41 to 13 is still call for embarrassment even if 47 to 3 is call for more.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
That NOS Guy
Jedi Council Member

Post by That NOS Guy »

FSTargetDrone wrote: Thank the maker for the Phillies. All hail Charlie!
There's a firm reason I said the Phillies were the best hope for the city before the year began. That said, I'm tired of Reid. I just can't continue to defend the man anymore. He can't fucking finish a game, and I've had it. Fuckin' Eagles.
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

Apparently players on the Browns are calling out others for quitting in the 4th quarter. That's just what we need, douchebag players with no heart that give up. Fantastic. :banghead:
"Have you ever been fucked in the ass? because if you have you will understand why we have that philosophy"
- Alyrium Denryle, on HAB's policy of "Too much is almost enough"

"The jacketed ones are, but we're talking carefully-placed shits here. "-out of context, by Stuart
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I like what I am seeing from my guys tonight.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

ARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

What the fuck was that!!! Two and a half yards away and you run your backup up the fucking middle on the last play of the game?!?!?!?
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

The 49ers had the lead and then let the game devolve into an offensive slugfest, and that is the kind of game they were never going to win against Arizona.

Tony Kornheiser's worst game as a MNF commentator by the way.

@ RedImp:

I thought the World Series was supposed to make the bitterness with the other teams magically fade away? ;-)
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

havokeff wrote:ARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

What the fuck was that!!! Two and a half yards away and you run your backup up the fucking middle on the last play of the game?!?!?!?
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
It didn't matter what play they called, the Cards owned the line of scrimmage on that play. The only difference is that a starting RB would have been stuffed, or the QB sacked. Your team needs a line.
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

The 49ers looked really good for about 3 quarters. They definitely played their hearts out, but that call at the end really let them down. I think the plan was that Gore was split out and they wanted the Cards to focus on him and not on the backup in the backfield, but I think all Singletary managed to do their was outsmart himself. Gotta find ways to win the close games.

However, it wouldn't have mattered if Gore had scored on the play before, which I think he should have been given based on sheer effort alone. That was real tough luck.

Anyways, 8-4 this week, just missing a couple of close games. Oh yeah, and the Browns suck.
"Have you ever been fucked in the ass? because if you have you will understand why we have that philosophy"
- Alyrium Denryle, on HAB's policy of "Too much is almost enough"

"The jacketed ones are, but we're talking carefully-placed shits here. "-out of context, by Stuart
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

I'm just happy the Cardinals got out of it with a win. I figured it would be tough since the first game of the season was pretty close as well.

At this point I'm hoping the Cards will continue on into the playoffs and hopefully knock someone off that everyone is sure they shouldn't beat. They'd have to get seriously lucky for a long run to make it to the Super Bowl.

Besides some of their crappy games they have had close games with some of the actually good teams in the NFL. They just haven't beaten them.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

On to 11!

New York Jets at New England
Denver at Atlanta
Detroit at Carolina
Philadelphia at Cincinnati
New Orleans at Kansas City
Baltimore at New York Giants- I actually think this one could happen, too
Minnesota at Tampa Bay
Oakland at Miami
Chicago at Green Bay
Houston at Indianapolis
St. Louis at San Francisco
Arizona at Seattle
Tennessee at Jacksonville
San Diego at Pittsburgh
Dallas at Washington
Cleveland at Buffalo
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
starslayer
Jedi Knight

Post by starslayer »

The thing is on that last play, Robinson would have scored if they'd been on the 1. Martz and Singletary were confused about the spot of the ball; they thought they were on the 1, when in reality they were closer to the three yard line. That's why they called a fullback dive, and because of the chaos leading up to that point, didn't have time to correct the play or call a spike, although Hill still could've spiked it and had them ready for an actual fourth down last chance play. So fucking close...
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Qwerty 42 wrote:Houston at Indianapolis
While I appreciate the vote of confidence, I'm not going to hold my breath.

In fact, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Manning and the Colts are going to come out fired up and ready to kick ass because of the near embarrassment they experienced last time saved only by our last minute fuckups.
Soy un perdedor.