EW.com reveals new Enterprise

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Count Chocula
Jedi Council Member
Location: You've asked me for my sacrifice, and I am winter born

Re: EW.com reveals new Enterprise

Post by Count Chocula »

Looking at Jon's posted image, it now looks even more wank. Big-ass saucer section, proboscis-protruding deflector dish, hot-rod warp nacelles with fucking Nubian nose cones, too close to the primary hull for them to have Bessemer collectors. And is that a turret at the base of the neck?

And what's with the NCC-1701? What happened to Archer's Enterprise? Shouldn't this be the -B?
The only people who were safe were the legion; after one of their AT-ATs got painted dayglo pink with scarlet go faster stripes, they identified the perpetrators and exacted revenge. - Eleventh Century Remnant

Lord Monckton is my heeerrooo

"Yeah, well, fuck them. I never said I liked the Moros." - Shroom Man 777
Jon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jon »

^I think they get around this being the 'first' because the NX-01 wasn't a Federation Starship.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Count Chocula wrote:And what's with the NCC-1701? What happened to Archer's Enterprise? Shouldn't this be the -B?
... no.

Kirk's Enterprise was always NCC-1701.

The ships in Enterprise had NX prefixes, and the numbers were sequential. Enterprise was NX-01, Columbia was NX-02.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Count Chocula
Jedi Council Member
Location: You've asked me for my sacrifice, and I am winter born

Post by Count Chocula »

Gotcha. Fergot about NX-NCC.

Still don't like it.
The only people who were safe were the legion; after one of their AT-ATs got painted dayglo pink with scarlet go faster stripes, they identified the perpetrators and exacted revenge. - Eleventh Century Remnant

Lord Monckton is my heeerrooo

"Yeah, well, fuck them. I never said I liked the Moros." - Shroom Man 777
Palantas
Youngling

Post by Palantas »

CorSec wrote:
If you're thinking, "Wow! It looks the way the Enterprise has always looked"—well look at the big Spock brain on you!
This is not how the Enterprise has always looked. Comparing this incarnation with any previous model design is like saying the 2009 Camaro looks the way the Camaro has always looked.
I was thinking the same thing. That's not how the ship looks. When is movie supposed to take place, relative to the original series? We're up to three major refits on that ship now.

EDIT: Correction, two major refits.
Col. Crackpot wrote:Seriously, this is a case of "damned if you do and damned if you don't" If the "new" enterprise came on the screen looking like a fancy digitized version of 1967, the detractors would be just as vocal.
Maybe, but not from this fan. I'd just assumed that's what they were going to do. I figured they might change a few little things on the ship, but nothing this drastic. I was looking forward to seeing the original Enterprise design on the big screen.
Last edited by Palantas on 2008-11-11 09:23pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Witty signature block in progress.]
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

And is that a turret at the base of the neck?
Possibly, but it looks almost identical to the torpedo launcher on the 1979 Enterprise.
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Gandalf wrote:I don't mind it, but why doesn't it say Enterprise or NCC-1701 anywhere on it? :?
It does have NCC-1701 on the Nacells.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
erik_t
Jedi Master

Post by erik_t »

Count Chocula wrote:Looking at Jon's posted image, it now looks even more wank. Big-ass saucer section, proboscis-protruding deflector dish, hot-rod warp nacelles with fucking Nubian nose cones, too close to the primary hull for them to have Bessemer collectors. And is that a turret at the base of the neck?
God, once again I don't know if this is a joke.

Count the pixels between saucers and nacelle fronts; I'll guarantee they're not different by more than 20, 30%. Did you even look at the red-blue overlap image I posted? The saucer/engineering hull size ratio has changed by, at most, like 20-30%. As for your "turret"... did you ever watch ST-VI? I mean, really? How about TNG? You've never seen a torpedo launcher at the base of a neck?
erik_t
Jedi Master

Post by erik_t »

Observation: I have been trying to figure out how the fronts of the nacelles are shaped, and I've decided they appear to be domes, as the original, but mirror-finished, and we're seeing the reflection of the edge of the saucer and possibly Earth or something. This seems likely as it allows the goofy CGI folks to show off their magic wherever possible. I wouldn't mind seeing some glow though.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

erik_t wrote: As for your "turret"... did you ever watch ST-VI? I mean, really? How about TNG? You've never seen a torpedo launcher at the base of a neck?
Not on the pre-refit E-nil I suspect. Which this is supposed to represent.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
La Maupin
Youngling

Post by La Maupin »

Batman wrote:
erik_t wrote: As for your "turret"... did you ever watch ST-VI? I mean, really? How about TNG? You've never seen a torpedo launcher at the base of a neck?
Honestly, it's better than having the torpedo launchers and phasers sharing the same real estate on the saucer. The design is starting to grow on me, really, after a few viewings.
At the time, you might think that it's a mistake you can never undo.
Even if it is, if we kick and scream and fight like hell, we'll move forward, even just a little bit.
I was taught to believe in the me that believed in myself. Maybe that's how it should be.
- Simon the Digger
ASVS Vets | Class of 2000
erik_t
Jedi Master

Post by erik_t »

Batman wrote:
I disagree.
TFA wrote:Abrams wanted to take the original TV series Enterprise and the movie franchise Enterprise and fuse them together into a new yet familiar Enterprise.
Do you want to see giant red smudges representing plasma torpedos, too, or is it okay to improve things when possible?
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

Zor wrote:
Gandalf wrote:I don't mind it, but why doesn't it say Enterprise or NCC-1701 anywhere on it? :?
It does have NCC-1701 on the Nacells.

Zor
We know from the teaser that, like every Fed ship, it has the name and registry on the dorsal surface of the primary hull. Heck, we know from the picture leak awhile back that the Kelvin has this as well.

Also, "NCC-1701" is stamped on the bottom of the secondary hull, right by the sensor dish/deflector.
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

personally i like it, though id prefer id the saucer section was a little father ahead.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Hmm. Looks like a Connie-refit and an Ambassador-class had a one night stand -- and a bad one that.
DaveJB
Jedi Council Member

Post by DaveJB »

erik_t wrote:I can't tell if you're being sarcastic.

I will grant you that the perspective isn't identical, but does one hull look twice as big as the other to you?

There are fair complaints to be made, I suppose, but the size of the engineering hull probably isn't one of them.
Yes, because I was throwing out a precise scaling figure, rather than just a ballpark "it looks too small" comment. :roll: (That's sarcasm by the way)
Last edited by DaveJB on 2008-11-12 04:49am, edited 1 time in total.
Akumz Razor
Youngling

Post by Akumz Razor »

I don't think it's that bad, but I don't really care for it, either. It sort of looks like somebody with a bad sense of perspective tried to draw the refit Enterprise.

It strikes me as change for the sake of change, as if they wanted to just use the refit version but thought, "gee whiz we gotta change something or the kids won't think we're hip," and changed the ship's lines in a half-assed manner. At least it's not as bad as the movie versions of the Transformers...

I was hoping they'd use a design along the lines of the Phase II Enterprise.

Oh well.
The simplest solution takes the shortest time to write down.

"My homies!" - Shatner

"The women!!" - Spock

"He's no better than Shatner!" - Phil Hartman as Bill Clinton re: Leonard Nimoy

-cinemaphotography-
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

I think it's about damn time everyone threw out the idea that this movie, or any of its designs, will flow neatly into TOS. It should be obvious by now that there's no way Trek XI is going to be "just" another sequel, there's some major reshuffling going on, and the sooner people manage to detach it from TOS the better they'll be able to appreciate the movie, and the starship designs, for what they are.

That said...

It's growing on me. It's still not what I was hoping for, but it doesn't repulse me either. The overlay image makes the engineering hull look less bad proportion-wise, if only by a bit, and it does look Enterprise-y. I'd love to see it in motion.

On the scale of the thing, is it just me or does the size of the windows and especially the second shuttle make this ship look quite a bit bigger than the E-refit? Going by the portholes it almost looks like you can fit four decks in the saucer rim.
CaptJodan
Jedi Council Member

Post by CaptJodan »

Looks almost like they used the Argo shuttles in that picture. Probably not, but they look similar to ST:X's little buggy shuttles from the back.

I'm wondering where the shuttle bay went. Assuming this ship is the same size as the original, is there really enough space back in the back there with how much it thins itself out to fit shuttles as it did before?

Overall, I'm not a fan. There's really very little to object to in the saucer, but the secondary hull and the nacelles/pylons just don't look right. I prefer the fanfic pics that I've seen which have updated the Connie to a more modern standard without taking away this much of the original. The one plus is that if they were going to break from established canon, at least they worked off the movie version.

3/10.

My opinion might change when I see other perspectives and/or see it move.
It's Jodan, not Jordan. If you can't quote it right, I will mock you.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Is it just me or is the engineering section and the saucer going in different directions. I can see it most clearly when in comparison with the E-nil and E-refit but they look differently orientated to me.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

I like all the individual elements, but I think they made a mistake setting the neck so far back. The original Enterprise had its neck set back in the same location, but the original Enterprise was much more gracile. The Enterprise refit moved the front of the neck forward. The effect on the new ship is to make the whole thing seem scrunched together. It's a shame, because I think they got everything else right.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Catman
Padawan Learner

Post by Catman »

Ugly curvy art project. Will probably look dated itself in around 20 years.
On the top of the saucer, it says U.S.S Enterprise, NCC-1701.
Canon and Continuity are not one and the same.

Many of the funniest moments come from RPG sessions.

Why be against "probably?" It's just a word.
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Yeah, now that I've had time to absorb it properly, it's definately the neck that makes it look slightly off. I guess I had it stuck in my head that we were going to get the E-Nil with some minor tweaks, like embiggened nacelles and more hull detail. But Bounty's right; gotta get out of the mindset of this being a continuation. It's reboot or bust.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
CaptJodan
Jedi Council Member

Post by CaptJodan »

I think the movie as a whole will improve if I keep in mind that it's a reboot rather than any kind of continuation. If I see it, I'm going to treat it as such because if I go in there thinking it's adding to the established continuity I probably won't enjoy it.

But my distaste for this design isn't just because it doesn't look like the original. That's certainly one way of looking at it, and if I see it in that light, there are so many other, better re-imaginings around the web better than this.

But it also just looks stupid. The neck, surprisingly, isn't what bothers me the most, but it's that secondary hull and the nacelles that really get me. The saucer is the closest major piece to the originals, and that fact makes it look set apart from the rest of the ship. The tapering in the extreme back of the secondary hull is too much, leading me to wonder just how the shuttle bay will be incorporated. The warp nacelles, particularly in the front, are too large and bulky and make the much smaller-than-original secondary hull look like it's carrying too much weight on it's tiny frame. And it just isn't aesthetically pleasing.
It's Jodan, not Jordan. If you can't quote it right, I will mock you.
open_sketchbook
Jedi Master

Post by open_sketchbook »

I must be broken, because I spent about ten minutes looking that image over in absolute awe and thinking "perfect". Well, not surprising, I liked Enterprise too, so obviously something in here isn't working right.
1980s Rock is to music what Giant Robot shows are to anime
Think about it.

Cruising low in my N-1 blasting phat beats,
showin' off my chrome on them Coruscant streets
Got my 'saber on my belt and my gat by side,
this here yellow plane makes for a sick ride