2008 NFL Season Thread- The Road to Super Bowl XLIII

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Havok
Miscreant

Re: 2008 NFL Season Thread- The Road to Super Bowl XLIII

Post by Havok »

CarsonPalmer wrote:
havokeff wrote:Dude. :wtf: There are SO ties in the NHL.
No there aren't, not anymore. Every game that's tied at the end of OT goes to a shootout.
Well fuck me running. I stand corrected. Sorry MoO. :oops: Guess that shows how closely I follow hockey. :P
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Masami von Weizegger
Padawan Learner

Post by Masami von Weizegger »

I'm no expert, but why are ties so boo-hissibly evil? Two teams tie, you share the points or whatever 50/50. Seems to me that if you suck enough not to win in normal time, you should just suck it up and go home pouting.
"That a man might embiggen his soul"
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

havokeff wrote:Firing Marty Schotehiemer was the dumbest thing the Chargers ever did. Hey may not have won playoff games, but you sure as hell wouldn't be worrying about MAKING the playoff with this team. And just the amount of talent probably would have overcome his "jinx" and possibly would have netted you a SB victory.
The problem was that they kept A.J. Smith when they should have dumped him, too. He foisted Ted Cottrell on the new head coach and didn't agree to get rid of him until the team was in a deep hole. The offense has done its job (not today though), but the defense blows. Between Smith's refusal to bring in defensive FAs and his hiring of old flunkies to coach the defense, no wonder they suck.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Master of Ossus wrote:Seriously. It's not as if the last tie was ancient history--many of their players were in the League, last time it happened, and others were still watching them play every Sunday. How can none of them know the rule?
Listening to reports on local sports talk radio hours after the game, it seems that more than a few of the players on the team had no idea what the rules were concerning a tie. That should just not happen and I cannot imagine why someone like McNabb doesn't know the rule, especially after his years playing the game. Somehow, a loss would have been more preferable than finding out that these morons don't know there is just the one OT. What happened Sunday was pathetic and disgraceful. One things seems clear, they sure as hell all played like they thought they were going into second OT.
There are no ties in hockey. That's what OT and shoot-outs are for.
I stand corrected. That shows how closely I follow hockey. :)
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

I'm just putting it out there, but about four of McNabb's interceptions this year were intended for L.J. Smith. That's just too many to be an anomaly.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Masami von Weizegger wrote:I'm no expert, but why are ties so boo-hissibly evil? Two teams tie, you share the points or whatever 50/50.
Because the good guys fly X-Wings ;-)

To answer your question seriously, we have to go back over 50 years. November 9th, 1953. Navy and Duke play to a scoreless tie, and Navy Coach Eddie Erdelatz utters the now historic phrase:
"It's like
kissing your sister."
Hence the now common term in American sports, "a tie is like kissing your sister." Ties are anathema in American sports because the fans would prefer to see an outcome, and resolve all the questions of which team is better. There is also the potential issue of tiebreakers between teams becoming necessary at the end of a season. Also, eliminating the possibility of the tie gets teams to play harder at the end of a game for a more competitive finish, which draws in more fans. I'd been to plenty of football and hockey games before where, with the game winding down the two teams both started to play "not to lose" and the games would finish in a horrifically boring manner.

It doesn't happen often enough in the NFL for it to be a problem though, and I don't know if I would have wanted to see a sixth quarter if reports of how awful both teams were are accurate.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

PS- that's 4 in a row. Suck it.

Next week on the "How to overuse the wildcat offense and win games by the skin of your teeth against teams you should demolish" Show - Our aquatic heroes will do battle against the patriots who just can't seem to find their rhythm. Will the Dolphins keep them off-balance enough to keep the game in the sub-30 point range? Will the Patriots step up their defense and keep the little-cuba maulers from scoring the all-important 14th point? Or will our brave heroes be frozen by the cold wind the Patriots bring down from "Bawstin"

Tune in Sunday to find out!!
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Oh bite my ass, Chardok! A win is a win. You should appreciate them more, considering how hard they've been for Miami to come by.
Chardok

Post by Chardok »

Elfdart wrote:Oh bite my ass, Chardok! A win is a win. You should appreciate them more, considering how hard they've been for Miami to come by.
I do appreciate them. As far as I'm concerned, every W this season is gravy after win #3. As it stands, if we can hold it together, we may just sneak in to the playoffs as a wild card, at which time I will be orgasmic with glee.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Buffalo is playing one of the few teams that has less Super Bowl success than they do, and they are losing. Although they did close the gap. Score is 13-7 right now. the Cleveland touchdown came on a really well played 96 yard drive.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

The first quarter or so of this game was one of the worst-played quarters I've seen in recent memory. The teams seem to be sorting it out. Hopefully that continues in the second half.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Buffalo loses on a wide-right 47 yard FG, after Leodis McKelvin dropped the Int that would have won the game.
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
"Mix'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights."
-Gen. George Thomas, Union Army of the Cumberland
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Holy cow! What a finish! Poor Bills, though. That just about wrecks their chances in the AFC East, and a loss to struggling Cleveland can't feel good, especially with Quinn playing for just the second time. The first quarter miscues really came back to cost them. Well, that and the miscues in the fourth quarter.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

Wow. I'm in fucking shell shock right now. Phil Dawson is my hero. Brady Quinn played well, but not outstanding. The defense can't tackle for shit. The offense needs to just get the job done and get the ball in the endzone. But still, we won, that's all that matters right now. 4-6.

Phew... *deep breath*

:shock:
"Have you ever been fucked in the ass? because if you have you will understand why we have that philosophy"
- Alyrium Denryle, on HAB's policy of "Too much is almost enough"

"The jacketed ones are, but we're talking carefully-placed shits here. "-out of context, by Stuart
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

I'm pretty sure Buffalo will install gigantic turbines to the right of the goalposts in the Rogers Center.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Well, I can see how Buffalo will become the freakshow of Monday Night Football.

Thanks for the 3 Ints Trent: Goodbye, Post season, for the 9th year running.
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
"Mix'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights."
-Gen. George Thomas, Union Army of the Cumberland
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Dick Jauron played textbook Martyball on that last drive. You NEVER start on 1st Down assuming the kicker will win it, and certainly not in the swirling winds of Buffalo. Three line plunges for little gain followed by a long FG attempt and a loss. Schottenheimer would be proud.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Elfdart wrote:Dick Jauron played textbook Martyball on that last drive. You NEVER start on 1st Down assuming the kicker will win it, and certainly not in the swirling winds of Buffalo. Three line plunges for little gain followed by a long FG attempt and a loss. Schottenheimer would be proud.
That crack I'm sure you heard was the sound of me putting an axe through the TV. This season started out so goddamn well! :banghead:
JADAFETWA
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Tomorrow is the one month anniversary of the last time the Bills won a game. This Sunday will be the 11 month anniversary of the last time the Lions won a game.

Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Chardok wrote:PS- that's 4 in a row. Suck it.

Next week on the "How to overuse the wildcat offense and win games by the skin of your teeth against teams you should demolish" Show - Our aquatic heroes will do battle against the patriots who just can't seem to find their rhythm. Will the Dolphins keep them off-balance enough to keep the game in the sub-30 point range? Will the Patriots step up their defense and keep the little-cuba maulers from scoring the all-important 14th point? Or will our brave heroes be frozen by the cold wind the Patriots bring down from "Bawstin"

Fuck. You bitch and complain when they are 1-15, you bitch and complain when they are 6-4 and in the playoff hunt. Shut the fuck up. I hate fans like you.

I still love ya though man.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

As far as Buffalo goes, if they had won last night, guess what, they would still be the 9th seed in the playoff hunt. They would just be 6-4, in stead of 5-5. They only difference is that they need a little more help to get up into the top 6.

They also would still be last in their division, even if they had won.

Current Standings

So quit your bitchin' Buffalo. Last nights loss didn't have anything to do with why you aren't going to make the playoffs. It was the three division losses in a row. Just like Norwood's miss wasn't the reason you lost that first Superbowl.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Elfdart wrote:Dick Jauron played textbook Martyball on that last drive. You NEVER start on 1st Down assuming the kicker will win it, and certainly not in the swirling winds of Buffalo. Three line plunges for little gain followed by a long FG attempt and a loss. Schottenheimer would be proud.
That strategy works if you have a 1st down and a 35-yard FG and want to kill time. Not so hot when you're looking at a 50+ yarder.

Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

It was a 47 yarder.

It's still a stupid idea to assume the kicker will get it from there, but it wasn't like Dawson's kick.
"Have you ever been fucked in the ass? because if you have you will understand why we have that philosophy"
- Alyrium Denryle, on HAB's policy of "Too much is almost enough"

"The jacketed ones are, but we're talking carefully-placed shits here. "-out of context, by Stuart
Chardok

Post by Chardok »

havokeff wrote:
Chardok wrote:PS- that's 4 in a row. Suck it.

Fuck. You bitch and complain when they are 1-15, you bitch and complain when they are 6-4 and in the playoff hunt. Shut the fuck up. I hate fans like you.

I still love ya though man.

I prefer to think of it as maintaining a healthy level of skepticism. I mean, let's be honest, you really can't place too much stock one way or the other with my beloved Dolphins, they're going to show up to win, or they'll just show up and to hell with football. A friend of mine did make an interesting observation, however: Have you noticed this season, that when the Dolphins play, they seem to elevate or lower their level of "game" to that of their opponents? Case in point: We should have destroyed the Raiders, yet it was really REALLY close most of the game, but at the same time, we pretty handily defeated The PATrIOTS of all teams.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

That is not indicative of the Dolphins. The Jets did that as well against the Raiders. The 49ers in the 80's and 90's did that all the fucking time.

It is a combination of 2 things. Overconfidence and teams not really being that far apart in talent and ability. Usually in the NFL, what separates a good team from a bad team is penalties and turnovers.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)