2008 NFL Season Thread- The Road to Super Bowl XLIII

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Re: 2008 NFL Season Thread- The Road to Super Bowl XLIII

Post by The Spartan »

Dark Flame wrote:If they're looking to bench somebody, it needs to be Braylon.
At the risk of being a poor winner, I have to admit that I was laughing my ass off at his continued play.
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

The Spartan wrote:
Dark Flame wrote:If they're looking to bench somebody, it needs to be Braylon.
At the risk of being a poor winner, I have to admit that I was laughing my ass off at his continued play.
I don't mind, it matches all of Cleveland cringing at his play. He needs to get his head in the game and make some damn plays.

Also, the Saints put up 51 points on what had been a solid Packers team. Fun game to watch.
"Have you ever been fucked in the ass? because if you have you will understand why we have that philosophy"
- Alyrium Denryle, on HAB's policy of "Too much is almost enough"

"The jacketed ones are, but we're talking carefully-placed shits here. "-out of context, by Stuart
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Dark Flame wrote:Also, the Saints put up 51 points on what had been a solid Packers team. Fun game to watch.
Yeah, if the Packers D isn't your starting Fantasy League defense and you're tied up going into a Monday night with only them left to play... :banghead: At least I have a good shot of winning the league's toilet bowl. :evil:
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
Slacker
Jedi Knight

Post by Slacker »

It's a good time to be a NY football fan. The local sports radio is already trembling, nay, quivering, with the very possibility of a Subway Superbowl. *eyeroll*

Was quite a treat to watch the Jets slap down the Titans. Worst 10-0 team ev-ah.
"I'm sorry, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that your inability to use the brain evolution granted you is any of my fucking concern."
"You. Stupid. Shit." Victor desperately wished he knew enough Japanese to curse properly. "Davions take alot of killing." -Grave Covenant
Founder of the Cult of Weber
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

As an Eagles fan, it looks like I'm pulling for the Cards in XLIII. I think Carolina has the bst shot at winning, though.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Hey, what a game tonight!
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Today was one of the most pathetic rounds of football ever, save the Philly-Arizona game. Two games resolved by Haftime, with the Studio Pannel mocking the Lions the whole time, and even saying that the games ought to be flexed to keep an 0-12 team from playing an 11-1. Hell, Shannon Sharpe was all Bagheaded on the set, though I think that was on behalf of the network.
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
"Mix'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights."
-Gen. George Thomas, Union Army of the Cumberland
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

The Philly-Arizona game was pretty sad too.

If Arizona does anything past the first round of the playoffs it'll be a surprise.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Incidentally, Giants' fan, Plaxico Burress was shot in the leg while he was at a club, apparently by his own hand:
Updated: November 29, 2008, 12:03 PM ET

New York Giants receiver Plaxico Burress suffered an accidental gunshot wound Friday night in a club, according to multiple sources.

Details of the incident weren't immediately available, but according to a source the wound was not considered life-threatening.

Fox Sports.com reported that Burress accidentally shot himself in the leg and spent the night in the hospital.

Burress, who was not expected to play against the Washington Redskins on Sunday because of a hamstring injury, was not at team meetings and did not attend the team's Saturday walkthrough.

The Giants organization was not commenting on the story.

In September, Burress was suspended for a game and fined for a violation of team rules, reportedly failing to appear at a team meeting and being unavailable by phone. At the time, his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, said that Burress was tending to urgent family matters.

Burress signed a five-year, $35 million contract this fall after helping the Giants to a Super Bowl championship last season.

John Clayton is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.
Oh and Go Eagles. Meh. It was a nice win, but I fear it is too little too late.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Usually when sports fans talk about players or teams shooting themselves in the foot, they don't mean it quite so literally.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Master of Ossus wrote:Usually when sports fans talk about players or teams shooting themselves in the foot, they don't mean it quite so literally.
See, this is why we need a rimshot smiliey. :)

Anyway, concerning the link I posted above, the story has been updated:
Saturday, November 29, 2008

Updated: November 29, 2008, 9:05 PM ET

Source: Burress tells Giants he shot himself in leg by accident

ESPN.com news services

New York Giants receiver Plaxico Burress has told the team that he accidentally shot himself Friday night, a league official told ESPN's Sal Paolantonio.

Burress was treated and released from New York Hospital Cornell Medical Center. He was there overnight and was released at 2 p.m. Saturday, the Giants said. A team official told The Associated Press that Burress shot himself in a nightclub.

New York City police say they are investigating whether the incident took place at Latin Quarter, a sprawling 15,000-square foot restaurant and club in midtown Manhattan.

A league official told Paolantonio the bullet went through the skin and muscle tissue of Burress' right thigh, and did not hit any major arteries, and there were no broken bones.

The Giants, in a statement Saturday afternoon, said Burress suffered a wound to his right thigh. The team did not specify in its statement how the shooting occured.

"We are aware of the fact that Plaxico was involved in an apparent accidental shooting last night. We have been in contact with Plaxico since shortly after the incident," the team said in a statement. "Obviously, our primary concern is for Plaxico's health and well-being, and given the circumstances, we are relieved to say he was released from a New York City hospital at approximately 2 p.m. today.

"We have been in touch with NFL Security on this matter. At this point, we are attempting to gather all the facts surrounding this incident. This incident could become a matter for law enforcement officials, and because of that, we have no comment on any of the details."

Police told ESPN's Jeremy Schaap that Burress was with Giants teammate Antonio Pierce when the shooting occurred. Pierce, who is now with the team in Washington, D.C., for Sunday's game against the Redskins, is cooperating and has spoken to police by phone. Director of NFL security Milt Ahlerich is also in Washington to investigate.

New York and local police went to Burress' New Jersey home Saturday to speak with the receiver and were denied entrance.

Giants coach Tom Coughlin told Paolantonio: "We have people on the scene trying to gather information, get all the facts, determine exactly what happened. Right now we're concerned about Plaxico and finding out all the details."

According to a team official, no determination about Burress' roster status will be made until the facts are gathered. That may not be until sometime next week, or until "the police investigation has been fully realized and completed," Paolantonio reported.

According to police, Burress could face criminal charges if he is not licensed to carry a concealed weapon in New York.

Burress, who was ruled out for Sunday's game against the Washington Redskins because of a hamstring injury, was not at team meetings and did not attend the team's Saturday walkthrough.

Phone calls to Burress' home and his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, were not immediately returned, The Associated Press reported.

"We are gathering information, just like everyone else," NFL spokesman Joe Browne said.

In late September, Burress was suspended for a game and fined $117,500 for a violation of team rules, reportedly for failing to appear at a team meeting and failing to notify the team of his absence. At the time, Rosenhaus said that Burress was tending to urgent family matters.

He also was fined $45,000 by the NFL for his conduct during a game against the 49ers in October, when he abused an official and tossed a ball into the stands.

Burress signed a five-year, $35 million contract this fall after helping the Giants win a Super Bowl championship last season.

The signing came after an unsettling offseason, during which Burress was fined $25,000 for refusing to practice at a mandatory minicamp in June. He also missed most of training camp at the University at Albany with a sprained ankle. He insisted the injury -- not his contract -- kept him off the field.

Despite his lack of practice time, Burress started in the opener against Washington and caught 10 passes for 133 yards. The following week, he had five catches for 81 yards and a touchdown in a win over St. Louis.

The rest of the season has not been as productive. The most passes he has caught in any game since is four, in a loss to Cleveland on Oct. 13, the game that followed his suspension.

Burress has 35 catches for 454 yards and four touchdowns in a season in which he has constantly drawn double coverage. His streak of receptions in 115 consecutive games ended last week in Arizona. He aggravated his hamstring injury during the first series and did not return.

It was the sixth-longest active streak in the league, dating to Nov. 26, 2000 against Cincinnati, Burress' rookie season in Pittsburgh.

Signed as a free agent in 2005, Burress had caught a pass in all 56 previous games in which he had played for the Giants.

ESPN's Sal Paolantonio and Jeremy Schaap, ESPN.com senior writer John Clayton and The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Burress is a real piece of work, but my favorite part of the story is how he denied entrance to the police when they came to talk to him.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

UPDATE:

Sunday now...

Curiously, the fact that Burress was shot hasn't been mentioned during the game coverage so far, and the 1st quarter is well underway with the Giants scoring 7-0. Burress' hamstring injury was mentioned, but not his gunshot wound! At least I haven't heard it from the play-by-play guys.

Update:

Again, they are talking about Burress being out of the game without taking about his gunshot injury. I don't know how they can avoid it.

Another story:
November 30, 2008

Pierce, Burress, both in trouble with police

Plaxico Burress isn’t the only one in trouble after Friday night’s shooting. Antonio Pierce is in hot water, too.

Pierce was not only with Burress when the receiver shot himself in the right thigh at a Manhattan night club Friday night, he apparently tried to hide the gun after the incident, the Daily News has learned. In fact, Pierce’s attorney was frantically trying to save him from criminal charges late last night, the News is reporting.

Burress, meanwhile, is expected to be arrested on felony weapons charges sometime in the next few days, according to sources. He could face up to five years in prison if he’s eventually convicted. Carrying an illegal, concealed weapon in New York also carries a mandatory minimum sentence of 3 ½ years.

For the full story, you’re going to want to click right here and read the best and most comprehensive account of the Friday night shooting and its ramifications, as put together by Team Daily News.

Our reporting confirms a lot of what I told you earlier, with some new and very surprising details. Here are a couple of the latest gems:

• Burress was drinking at the nightclub, and the gun apparently slipped down his pants leg and went off accidentally. He apparently does not have a permit to carry a concealed weapon in New York. He had a license in Florida, but that expired in May and wouldn’t have been recognized here anyway.

• Burress told Pierce (and others at the club) not to call 911 after he was shot, and he didn’t go to the hospital for two hours, until 2 a.m. when his wife, Tiffany, and a friend finally took him to New York-Presbyterian Hospital.

• Pierce agreed to cooperate with police if they agreed not to immediately charge him with a crime. Cops are still planning to get a warrant to search Pierce’s car.

Despite his role in the incident, Pierce will apparently start and play in today’s game against the Washington Redskins. He made the trip with the team on Saturday and according to a team spokesman he was at the team hotel. The spokesman also said that no suspensions or benchings were planned as a result of the Burress shooting.

By Ralph Vacchiano on November 30, 2008 3:10 AM
Update:

Giants fail to get the touchdown and have to settle for a kick. 10-0 Giants.
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Bills Lose to Niners. Drives into the Redzone of 80+ yards, twice, for no points. Ryan Lindell missed 2 FGs, one for 40 yds, one from 20 yds. Worst fucking game I've ever seen the Bills play. Pissed away 134 yards on 16 carries from Marshawn Lynch. Of course, Niners couldn't stop the run...at all, so we tried to throw it in six times?

What bullshit.
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Throwing the ball 38 times for 205 yards explains a lot. They should have just handed off to Lynch until the Niners stopped him. Maybe next season.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Quick update, the New York Football Giants triumph over the Washington Redskins, 23-7. I was busy and didn't keep up with it here.

The Carolina Panthers enjoy a victory in a snowy Green Bay.

35-31 Carolina.
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

It is a sad day. Chargers fans can look in the rear-view mirror... and see the Oakland Raiders. :cry:
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Wow. I think the Chargers are done. With their loss, today, and Denver's win over the Jets, they're 3 games back with only 4 to play (though, one of those IS against the Broncos).
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

And the NINER MAFFMATICAL PLAYOFF HOPE STAYZ ALIVE! Heh...

Anyways, I think the big wins of the day were Denver's and Pittsburgh's. Even though they are the best football team in one of the worst divisions, Denver gave teams plenty of good reasons to take them seriously today. Pittsburgh, despite being banged up, went in and took care of business at New England.

The last question remaining for this week in the NFL, should I even bother watching Monday Night Football?
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Pittsburgh discovered how to defend Wes Welker. It involved a 15 yard Personal Foul, but the Pats took him out and kept him out for the rest of the game. The must have gotten the message that 'burgh would be head hunting. James Harrison skinned Matt Light alive.

Houston v Jacksonville on MNF? Nobody would blame you for giving that one a pass.
-Stuart
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

My hat is off to Isaac Bruce, a receiver who, despite being my age is still torching DBs as if he were a decade younger. That 7-corner route for the TD was fap-worthy.
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Master of Ossus wrote:Wow. I think the Chargers are done. With their loss, today, and Denver's win over the Jets, they're 3 games back with only 4 to play (though, one of those IS against the Broncos).
Think? We are. You know this mediocrity sucks worse than 1-15? Especially with pre-season expectations as high as they've ever been in San Diego. (well, I can't honestly speak to that 1st hand, but I could almost feel the emotion in bumfuck-istan-Kansas, pinky swear)

I'm with Fanboy now: "CHARGERS MAFFMATICAL PLAYOFF HOPE STAYZ ALIVE!" I actually wouldn't put a melt-down past Denver but neither am I convinced we'll sweep the rest of our schedule anyway -- I don't care WHO that is, we lost at home in late November to a dome-team. The jig's up this year.

*ahem* without further adieu ... Go Carolina! :mrgreen: (what? my boss is from South Carolina -- gotta keep my nose brown one way or another)
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

WE WON!
Soy un perdedor.
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

Just today, the NFL handed out 6 suspensions, including the Williams Wall in Minnesota, Will Smith, and Deuce McAllister.

Also, Plax is one the biggest fucking morons I've ever seen. Completely disregarding the legality of what he did, why not buy a fucking $100 concealment holster with his millions of dollars, instead of sticking a fucking Glock in his waistband? Damn, what an idiot. :banghead:

In other news, Brady Quinn had finger surgery. DA is out for the year. Ken Dorsey is getting his first start since 2005 (IIRC) when he was in San Francisco. And the Bill Cowher wait is on in Cleveland!

Spartan, this is kinda late but I think it's funny. My roommate's last fantasy "player" was the GB defense that week. He was up 2 points, and according to his rules if GB gave up 35 points he would get -2 points, and would thus lose. However, if the defense gets either a sack, forced fumble, or interception then he can't lose points. He got really really lucky, but it was fun to watch his hopes slide downhill, then rocket back up when the first sack finally occurred. :shock:
"Have you ever been fucked in the ass? because if you have you will understand why we have that philosophy"
- Alyrium Denryle, on HAB's policy of "Too much is almost enough"

"The jacketed ones are, but we're talking carefully-placed shits here. "-out of context, by Stuart
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Dark Flame wrote: In other news, Brady Quinn had finger surgery. DA is out for the year. Ken Dorsey is getting his first start since 2005 (IIRC) when he was in San Francisco. And the Bill Cowher wait is on in Cleveland!
Some bit in Pennsylvania is equidistant from Cleveland, I think. We'll meet halfway, Braveheart Style, to the victor goes The Chin.
-Stuart
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Dark Flame wrote:Just today, the NFL handed out 6 suspensions, including the Williams Wall in Minnesota, Will Smith, and Deuce McAllister.
I heard on the radio it has something to do with a weight loss supplement that contains a substance that is used to mask steriods.
Also, Plax is one the biggest fucking morons I've ever seen. Completely disregarding the legality of what he did, why not buy a fucking $100 concealment holster with his millions of dollars, instead of sticking a fucking Glock in his waistband? Damn, what an idiot. :banghead:
Yeah but then he doesn't look like a hard core gangsta.
Soy un perdedor.