2008 NFL Season Thread- The Road to Super Bowl XLIII

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Re: 2008 NFL Season Thread- The Road to Super Bowl XLIII

Post by Elfdart »

havokeff wrote: This is my point. The Raiders talent is fine, but they don't have the players to run the D that is implemented.
Shit, you could put Ronnie Lott, Charles Woodson, Deion Sanders and Rod Woodson in the Raiders secondary and they would still get torched with no pressure from the front four with little to no blitz help. (OK that group might be OK, but any other would get torched. :lol:)
Putting the current players into a more conventional defense would only make them suck a little less, and they'd be boring to watch. At least there's some entertainment value in watching them flamboyantly suck now.
This is where Al Davis is stuck in the past. This type of roster won him three Superbowls and got them to 5. He still thinks he is the premier talent evaluator in the NFL and that other teams will cast off good, undeveloped, or even great, players for whatever reason they used to. (Bad attitude, criminal behavior, didn't fit the system) The thing is, the rest of the league caught up with him, and they all have the "Just Win Baby" mantra going. That is why you get players like Chris Henry, who is a complete FUCK UP, but has an ass load of talent, getting resigned to the team that cut him just for that behavior. It is all about winning for EVERY organization now, whereas it used to only be that way for Al and the Raiders. The players that get cut now, really aren't that good.
That's true to some degree, but teams dump talented players or refuse to draft them all the time. The Raiders had a lot of success with Rich Gannon and that was only six years ago. The best QB in the league right now is Kurt Warner, who has a Ring, two MVPs, was never beaten out of a job and only taken off the field due to injury -but nobody wanted him as a starter. I think a smart evaluator of talent would make damn sure he checked the roster cuts from teams that suck.After all, if those teams could pick talent, they wouldn't suck so hard now would they?
Elway. Could NOT win the big one in Reeve's system, (It was only his talent that kept them competitive) but bring in Shanahan, who, oh by the way, implemented Montana and Young's system, and he wins two in a row.
That's funny, Roger Staubach won two SBs with Reeves' system.
A relevant example of this is DeAngelo Hall. You can't deny that he is immensely talented, but when he was put into an incompatible system i.e. the Raiders, talent doesn't win out.
I though that was a money decision. :wtf:
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Elfdart wrote:
havokeff wrote: This is my point. The Raiders talent is fine, but they don't have the players to run the D that is implemented.
Shit, you could put Ronnie Lott, Charles Woodson, Deion Sanders and Rod Woodson in the Raiders secondary and they would still get torched with no pressure from the front four with little to no blitz help. (OK that group might be OK, but any other would get torched. :lol:)
Putting the current players into a more conventional defense would only make them suck a little less, and they'd be boring to watch. At least there's some entertainment value in watching them flamboyantly suck now.
I see I will not penetrate your RAIDER HATE SHIELD. :D
This is where Al Davis is stuck in the past. This type of roster won him three Superbowls and got them to 5. He still thinks he is the premier talent evaluator in the NFL and that other teams will cast off good, undeveloped, or even great, players for whatever reason they used to. (Bad attitude, criminal behavior, didn't fit the system) The thing is, the rest of the league caught up with him, and they all have the "Just Win Baby" mantra going. That is why you get players like Chris Henry, who is a complete FUCK UP, but has an ass load of talent, getting resigned to the team that cut him just for that behavior. It is all about winning for EVERY organization now, whereas it used to only be that way for Al and the Raiders. The players that get cut now, really aren't that good.
That's true to some degree, but teams dump talented players or refuse to draft them all the time. The Raiders had a lot of success with Rich Gannon and that was only six years ago. The best QB in the league right now is Kurt Warner, who has a Ring, two MVPs, was never beaten out of a job and only taken off the field due to injury -but nobody wanted him as a starter. I think a smart evaluator of talent would make damn sure he checked the roster cuts from teams that suck.After all, if those teams could pick talent, they wouldn't suck so hard now would they?
Well, I'm certainly not saying they are all successful at it individually by any stretch. I mean, c'mon, I used the Bungles as an example. As a whole, though, the league has caught up with Al.
Elway. Could NOT win the big one in Reeve's system, (It was only his talent that kept them competitive) but bring in Shanahan, who, oh by the way, implemented Montana and Young's system, and he wins two in a row.
That's funny, Roger Staubach won two SBs with Reeves' system.
Wouldn't that be Landry's system? And they had Dorsett (where the talent factors in the most, Running back). And without a Dorsett, that system wasn't effective enough, which was why it didn't get the job done without.
A relevant example of this is DeAngelo Hall. You can't deny that he is immensely talented, but when he was put into an incompatible system i.e. the Raiders, talent doesn't win out.
I though that was a money decision. :wtf:
It was in a way. They new Hall wasn't going to work out so they cut him when they did to curb the future impact his salary was going to have. Basically they minimized the damage that Al caused by bringing him into a system he wasn't suited for.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Wouldn't that be Landry's system? And they had Dorsett (where the talent factors in the most, Running back). And without a Dorsett, that system wasn't effective enough, which was why it didn't get the job done without.
Reeves and several of his assistants coached or played for Landry in Dallas. The point is, the offensive scheme wasn't the issue. The 1985 Bears also used that system and not only won the Super Bowl, they also were the second highest scoring team that year. No offense is going to compensate for an inept running game. And by coaching, I meant discipline, effort and knowing what you're doing, not Xs and Os. That's why coaching and talent will almost always trump scheme.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Elfdart wrote: That's why coaching and talent will almost always trump scheme.
Don't tell Charlie Weis that.

To Stay MaffMatically (tm) ALIVE, The Niners will have to defeat the Jets and the Rams will have to beat Arizona....

Damned, I'd like to say this will happen but fucking St. Louis of all teams for me to hope for? Ah well, at least Dallas will be beaten up by the Steelers Defense with any luck.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Federal judge blocks NFL from suspending five players

Associated Press

ST. PAUL, Minn. -- A federal judge has blocked the NFL from suspending five players for violating the league's anti-doping policy.

U.S. District Judge Paul Magnuson said Friday he needed more time to consider the case after hearing several hours of arguments from the league and the NFL Players Association.

The league released the following statement in response to the ruling:

"Judge Magnuson made clear this afternoon that he needed more time to fully and carefully consider all of the briefs, arguments, and cases put before him. We welcome that scrutiny. We are confident that, once he has had an opportunity to review all of the relevant materials, including the Collective Bargaining Agreement, he will uphold our longstanding agreements with the NFLPA that protect the health and safety of NFL players and the integrity of our game."

Kevin Williams and Pat Williams of the Minnesota Vikings, and Charles Grant, Deuce McAllister and Will Smith of the New Orleans Saints all were suspended this week for four games. They tested positive for a banned diuretic in the dietary supplement StarCaps.

The union has argued the NFL didn't properly inform players about the substance. The NFL's attorneys argued that claim, and others, had been considered and rejected in a process set out by the league's collective bargaining agreement.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d ... nfirm=true
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Eagles at New York... Eagles leading 17-7 after Westbrook's second TD. The 4th quarter is just underway.
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

FSTargetDrone wrote:Eagles at New York... Eagles leading 17-7 after Westbrook's second TD. The 4th quarter is just underway.
Well, my assessment has changed. We've got a chance.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Gmen are moving right down the field. 70 yards in a minute.

Now 1st n Goal at the 1.

Touchdown. 27 ticks left.
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
"Mix'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights."
-Gen. George Thomas, Union Army of the Cumberland
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Giants score with :15 remaining. 20-14 Eagles.

Update:

Eagles win 20-14 after an attempted offside kick.

20-14 Philadelphia.
erik_t
Jedi Master

Post by erik_t »

Roethlisburger is wearing the giantest pussysleeves I have ever seen on a football player. I shoveled snow in shorts and a t-shit in a breezy 10F this afternoon.

Grow a pair, Ben.
starslayer
Jedi Knight

Post by starslayer »

And the Niners win! We actually beat another team over .500! Of course, we got damned lucky; those five fumbles should have cost SF the game, but instead they recovered four of them, including the first touchdown.
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Another gutless, boneheaded, barrel assed display from the Bills. Miami created 295 yards of offence, 16 points and no turnovers and they also had the ball for 38 MINUTES. Mr. Joey Porter aquired 2 more sacks and a forced fumble, while Marshawn had 34 Yards on 17 carries. 0-4 in the Division. We were done a long time ago, but now its just mathematical certainty.
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Steelers score 17 points in the final 7:15 of play to beat Dallas 20-13. The game winning score was a Romo INT returned for a touchdown with under two minutes to play on the drive after Pittsburgh scored the game tying touchdown. No word on whether or not the precious tears flowing in Dallas right now are being properly collected.

As a result the Giants clinch their division, despite losing to the Eagles, who might still be technically alive had they beat Cincy.

GO NINERS! Booo Cardinals....Guess we'll have to hope and pray for the wild card, but that's less likely.

Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

The Eagles are still alive, much in the same way that a man who just had both lungs ruptured is alive. Today's been a perfect storm for Philadelphia- Atlanta and Dallas both lost, and Washington is down early against Baltimore. 10-5-1 will make the playoffs. The question is whether or not the Eagles can get there.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Falkenhayn wrote:Another gutless, boneheaded, barrel assed display from the Bills. Miami created 295 yards of offence, 16 points and no turnovers and they also had the ball for 38 MINUTES. Mr. Joey Porter aquired 2 more sacks and a forced fumble, while Marshawn had 34 Yards on 17 carries. 0-4 in the Division. We were done a long time ago, but now its just mathematical certainty.
Just beat the Donkeys, OK?
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

The Spartan wrote:WE WON!
:D
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Elfdart wrote:
Just beat the Donkeys, OK?
We've scored six points in 8+ quarters of Football. You'd best go find some religion.
-Stuart
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Three playoff spots sewn up on the day: New York Giants, Tennessee, and Arizona all clinch. I remain hopeful that the Eagles can somehow win their next three, and let the nightmare schedules swallow up the two teams they still need to pass in order to make the sixth seed: Atlanta and Dallas. Despite all that's happened, we could be defending the sixth seed after next Monday. This is all IF

1. Atlanta loses to Tampa Bay. This has a real chance of happening. Despite the curse on road teams in the South this year, Tampa Bay is dominant and made Ryan look terrible the first go-round.

2. Dallas loses to New York. This was a shoot-out last year, and its hard to call last time indicative because of Romo's injury. The Giants lost today, but they're still the Giants. This could happen too.

3. Cleveland loses to Philadelphia. The records say this should happen too, but...
CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

Qwerty 42 wrote: 2. Dallas loses to New York. This was a shoot-out last year, and its hard to call last time indicative because of Romo's injury. The Giants lost today, but they're still the Giants. This could happen too.
I've been a Giants fan since I was four years old, and this is the first time in my life that I've heard "The Giants are still the Giants" in a tone that could be called positive. I think I've died and gone to heaven.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Darth Fanboy wrote:GO NINERS! Booo Cardinals....Guess we'll have to hope and pray for the wild card, but that's less likely.
I was only off by 10. :D

Less Likely? :P While I hope for a win out, I have no allusions that 8-8 is going to get us into the playoffs this year.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Niether do I, but the fact that we are MAFFMATICALLY alive this late in the season brings warmth to my heart, far different from when I was younger and it took 11 wins and a playoff spot.

Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

NFL.Com has put up their most recent version of "If the season ended today..." It obviously doesn't include the Tampa Bay/ Carolina game, but that will only effect which team is 2 and which is 5, anyway.

AFC:

Tennessee
Pittsburgh
Denver
New York
Indianapolis
Baltimore

NFC:

New York
Tampa Bay
Minnesota
Arizona
Carolina
Dallas
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

The big problem is that the Cowboys have a tough schedule. Home against the Giants, then the Ravens, then at Philadelphia. They could easily lose all three and will probably lose two. No postseason for Dallas, I think.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

The Spartan wrote:
The Spartan wrote:WE WON!
:D
Huzzah. It's incredible.

Meanwhile, the Lions kept hope alive! Despite winning the first half, they couldn't put up 4 quarters of effort, or even slow down Tarvaris Jackson. I think they're going to do it!
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Panthers running game made the Bucs look foolish tonight, One second the ESPN guys would be gushing about Monte Kiffin and the next second either DeAngelo Williams or Jonathan Stewart is running behind the Tampa secondary towards the end zone. It's not very often in the NFL when a team can throw two running backs at you and have both of tehm get 100+ yards and two touchdowns. Williams nearly made it to 200 yards.