generic "Where have you been?" thread with a twist

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

erik_t
Jedi Master

generic "Where have you been?" thread with a twist

Post by erik_t »

So it's always fun to bucket-fill maps to show where you've been. But then the little states get unfair recognition compared to the big states. Since I've got the magic powers of the GIMP behind me... let's try something a little different. How about where you've actually physically BEEN? Roads and rail only - city visits count, but just ducking through an airport on a connecting flight does not.

I believe I've created this map (500k whoooa!) such that US freeways and major cities can be bucket-filled without danger. Then shrink to 800px wide and post it to amuse others.

Faint background lines are major US highways (reddish) and state boundaries (grayish).

Sorry foreigners, I didn't feel like screwing around with a million and nine maps.

Anyway, here's mine. I'd love to see more.

Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Re: generic "Where have you been?" thread with a twist

Post by Phantasee »

Man, that looks nowhere near as impressive as I thought it would. I wish you'd do one for Canada, at least.... ;)

This is an interesting approach, though. It puts things in perspective. If I were to do one of the 'fill in the states' maps, I'd end up with this:

XXXI
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

You'd have to look hard to find where I've been- I'm not a huge traveller. Junction cities I've actually been in longer than the time it takes to pass in an automobile are colourized*, alternate routes taken marked save when I don't remember- I got lost and ended up in alabama once, but I don't know where so I didn't draw it.

There should be a red dotted line linking the two ends of the Florida routes, since I went in a big circle.

*I've been to more than 2 towns, but dotting each one in the north would make it a huge red blob, and I can't be bothered to figure out where certain locations in Florida are.
Kodiak
Jedi Master

Post by Kodiak »

Here's a brief one. North America by states/provinces, and then the world.

Image PRFYNAFBTFCP
Captain of the MFS Frigate of Pizazz +2 vs. Douchebags - Est vicis pro nonnullus suscito vir

"Are you an idiot? What demand do you think there is for aircraft carriers that aren't government?" - Captain Chewbacca

"I keep my eighteen wives in wonderfully appointed villas by bringing the underwear of god to the heathens. They will come to know God through well protected goodies." - Gandalf

"There is no such thing as being too righteous to understand." - Darth Wong
erik_t
Jedi Master

Post by erik_t »

You fail at this thread. The point is explicitly NOT to just highlight states and countries.
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

There.

Quit yer bitchin', Erik.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
erik_t
Jedi Master

Post by erik_t »

Curse Lonestar in a million pieces.
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

From central Maine, I've been to New Brunswick and Quebec, down to the North Carolina coast, central Kentucky, and Orlando by roads, to Glacier Park through Canada and then back through the US, visited Atlanta and Tennessee on the way back from the Orlando trip, visited a few universities in the northeast, and stayed in San Antonio for a while. And of course, several trips to Boston, though those are already covered due to I-95. From Phoenix, Arizona, I took a road trip to Los Angeles for spring break.

I've also spent over half a dozen layovers in Detroit, but I don't think that counts.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Because Erik wont leave me alone ;)
Last edited by Alyrium Denryle on 2008-12-08 09:15pm, edited 1 time in total.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
erik_t
Jedi Master

Post by erik_t »

Jogurt, what was your crazy I-90/94 voyage?
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Original post edited for accuracy. I didnt know where I have been.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

erik_t wrote:Jogurt, what was your crazy I-90/94 voyage?
Coming back into America through Glacier Park then heading back to Maine through Yellowstone, Grand Teton, and a few random places in the north. It might not be exact (it's been nearly a decade since it happened and I wasn't driving or navigating), but it's pretty close, I think.
erik_t
Jedi Master

Post by erik_t »

Reasonably so. Great parks, I must say. I rather enjoyed them myself :)
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

As you can see, I've done some long-distance driving as part of my previous job. One thing I wasn't able to represent, though, is the west coast, where I did a fair amount of San Fran to LA driving, but took US 101 because of a customer near Pismo Beach.

EDIT: Filled in one drive I forgot.

EDIT 2: I'm an idiot who forgot that I continued to Kansas City on the drive I forgot and didn't stop in St. Louis. (I suppose it'll update the picture eventually to add that final red line).
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

There we go. I had to add a bunch of lines to try and represent how Amtrak routes actually run, since most of my travels have been my Amtrak and not the highway.

I've also visited Victoria, BC by ferry, Vancouver, BC by car and train, Montreal, QC, by train, Toronto, ON by train, and I briefly resided in Edmonton, AB, though I flew there from Toronto. I've also taken VIA from Montreal -- Toronto. That's the extent of my travels to our northern neighbour to date, however.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Post by El Moose Monstero »

Not so much everywhere I've been, but to my recollection, everywhere I've personally driven in the UK. The map of the former would require lots of non connected roads and some different countries. It amuses me to post a map of a road network that would comfortably fit inside one or two US states as being a valid contribution to the thread. :D

I'd be interested if anyone can actually tell from the map where I'm hailing from. I personally can't see a pattern, but I don't know if others can.
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I'd say some under that big blob on Leeds...
Then again your sig would lead me to think you were Liverpudlian.
El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Post by El Moose Monstero »

Crazedwraith wrote:I'd say some under that big blob on Leeds...
Then again your sig would lead me to think you were Liverpudlian.
It would do what? My sig should lead you to the conclusion of Newcastle, geordie being Newcastle and scouse being Liverpool. :P I could see it spidering out from Newcastle, but that's just because I was looking for it I suppose.

Would be interesting to see how far UK residents have ranged throughout this green, scepter'd and motorway'd isle, pull up a google map and a draw your own line tool! It's not as if we have quite as many main roads to worry about as our american colleagues.
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
Silver Jedi
Padawan Learner

Post by Silver Jedi »

You can see several major road trips, plus several smaller ones around Texas.
Not a n00b, just a lurker

108th post on Wed Jun 28, 2006 A Whoop!

200th post on Fri Feb 3, 2012 Six months shy of a decade!
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Uraniun235 wrote:[img-map]
Actually on further reflection there should be tendrils all over Oregon for me, I'd forgotten that I'd gone with my dad to nearly every place in Oregon at some point back before the divorce.
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk