Your Music Collection ESSENTIALS

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Oni Koneko Damien
Sith Marauder

Re: Your Music Collection ESSENTIALS

Post by Oni Koneko Damien »

VNV Nation: Empires
VNV Nation: Standing, Burning Empires
VNV Nation: Future Perfect

Easily my favourite band. As I probably wouldn't have time to dig out all their albums *and* carry the cats to safety while the house is burning down, these are the three I'd lunge for. Combining ungodly awesome electronica with lyrics that can actually be inspiring.

Vast: Music For People
Vast: Turquoise and Crimson

Some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard, period. That and John Crosby's voice is pure sex.

Venetian Snares: Rosst Csillag Allag Szullutett

Breakcore combined with an orchestra, how could I not be completely in love with it? Besides, it holds to the rule that a scarily large percentage of my favourite bands begin with the letter 'v'.
Gaian Paradigm: Because not all fantasy has to be childish crap.
Ephemeral Pie: Because not all role-playing has to be shallow.
My art: Because not all DA users are talentless emo twits.
"Phant, quit abusing the He-Wench before he turns you into a caged bitch at a Ren Fair and lets the tourists toss half munched turkey legs at your backside." -Mr. Coffee
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

Starglider wrote:Most of my actual favourite tracks are considered mediocre-to-bad by the population at large. I would however recommend without reservation;

Dire Straits : Alchemy
Their only live album, it has a unique pace and most of their best tracks, including extended versions of 'Sultans of Swing' and 'Telegraph Road' with really excellent guitar solos.
They actually have three live albums: Alchemy, On The Night, and Live at the BBC. On The Night has some truly amazing performances like Romeo and Juliet, and Private Investigations, but Alchemy is overall the better album.

As for my essentials... the list would be pretty bloody long, so I've resisted posting it for a while. Maybe I'll do so after I'm finished with exams.
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

YT300000 wrote:
Starglider wrote:Most of my actual favourite tracks are considered mediocre-to-bad by the population at large. I would however recommend without reservation;

Dire Straits : Alchemy
Their only live album, it has a unique pace and most of their best tracks, including extended versions of 'Sultans of Swing' and 'Telegraph Road' with really excellent guitar solos.
They actually have three live albums: Alchemy, On The Night, and Live at the BBC. On The Night has some truly amazing performances like Romeo and Juliet, and Private Investigations, but Alchemy is overall the better album.

As for my essentials... the list would be pretty bloody long, so I've resisted posting it for a while. Maybe I'll do so after I'm finished with exams.
A long list would defeat the purpose, wouldn't you think?
XXXI
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

Not really, I've got a decently-sized collection of music I absolutely love, so the essentials of that would be a significant list as well. But fine, I'll strip it down to only the stuff that's emotionally meaningful to me. That means no Aerosmith - I love Toys in the Attic, Rocks... but they don't move me. So this longish thing is an utterly bare-bones list for me, in no particular order.

First, the classical stuff, including my favourite conductor/orchestra and/or soloist for each piece.

Tchaikovsky - Symphony No. 6 (Pletnev, RNO)

Rachmaninoff - Concerto No. 1 (Chailly, BPO, Argerich on piano)

Beethoven - Symphony No. 9 (Kleiber, VPO) - Wilhelm Furtwangler's classic recording is a close second, but this is just so much more powerful. Also the 7th, same conductor.

Beethoven - several piano sonatas, say... 14, 21 and 23. Waldstein does a fantastic job with him.

Barber - So many of his pieces, Adagio, Vanessa, etc. Schippers seems to conduct him the best.

Dvorak - Symphony No. 9 (Kertesz, LSO)

Shostakovich - God, anything really. The modernism of the fifth and sixth symphonies, the morass of the Violin Concerto, the soul-crushing defeat of the ninth. I can't pick a conductor off the top of my head.

Sibelius - Violin Concerto and Suite. Isaac Stern seems to be the benchmark violinist for this, but I think that Jascha Heifetz really played this piece the way it's meant to be.

Stravinsky - Firebird... I don't own a recording, so I can't say my favourite, but it was very powerful when I saw it performed live.

Okay, now for the more modern stuff.

David Bowie - every studio album between The Man Who Sold the World and Scary Monsters (other than Pin Ups, of course). They sound totally different, but they're all the same album, really, on the same themes which evolve and transmogrify as he does. Ultimately, it comes full circle, as he attains the knowledge he was searching for.

Blue Oyster Cult
- Hmm... Agents of Fortune, duh. Also Spectres, Cultasaurus Erectus, hell, even Imaginos. The perfect balance of rock n' roll with other styles, seeing Buck play live also affected my own playing.

The Beatles - It's too easy to say Revolver until Let It Be, but that's the truth of it. Add in Magical Mystery Tour and Love (which was like hearing them for the first time), and those are their essentials.

Eric Clapton - The very reason I picked up a guitar. For convenience, I'm putting all these bands under him in my list. Here we go:
Cream - Disraeli Gears, Wheels of Fire, Goodbye.
Blind Faith - Blind Faith
Derek and the Dominoes - Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs (one of the best albums ever)
Eric Clapton (solo) - Pretty much from his debut until Backless, then it slipped a bit. Money and Cigarettes is overproduced. Pilgrim is just icky.

Led Zeppelin - Everything. That's right, even Coda. Even The Song Remains the Same and BBC Sessions, and all the bootlegs I have. Every last riff, every last squib note, every last bass drum squeak is essential. But if I had to single something out, it'd be Zeppelin II, which was like a rock n' roll awakening for me. I'd already heard those songs, but hearing them in that specific order made it a million times better, and finally convinced me about proper production.

Black Sabbath - Master of Reality. The heaviest album ever, and I don't care. No hissy distortion, no thin sounds, just solid impact.

The Who - Aha! Who's Next, Quadrophenia and The Who By Numbers are essential. Live at Royal Albert Hall is close.

Roger Daltrey - Under a Raging Moon. This album alone makes me dread having to age.

Guns N' Roses
- The reason I was able to translate my emotions into the guitar. Appetite, both Use Your Illusions, and a dozen listens on, it's looking like Chinese Democracy belongs on this list too.

Jimi Hendrix - All three Experience albums, Band of Gypsies, Live at Woodstock. Of the various compilations of the songs he was working on when he died, First Rays of the New Rising Sun is the best, though maybe not as essential.

Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon, obviously, the greatest album ever made. Also Wish You Were Here, Animals, The Wall, The Final Cut, Pulse, and Meddle.

Radiohead - OK Computer and In Rainbows. I think I could live without Kid A, though it'd be pretty hard to let go of Amnesiac. And I still don't understand Hail to the Thief, though the voice in the back of my head tells me it's valuable, just botched.

Johnny Cash
- American IV. If this didn't make you cry, you're not human.

The Rolling Stones
- Exile on Main St. Yes, I know. Shut. Up.

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

YT300000 wrote:Beethoven - Symphony No. 9 (Kleiber, VPO) - Wilhelm Furtwangler's classic recording is a close second, but this is just so much more powerful. Also the 7th, same conductor.
Which Kleiber and which Furtwängler recordings are you talking about, specifically? Because both have recorded them more than once, with varying quality.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

Well, for the Furtwangler I mean the 74 minute long 1951 performance. I can't recall which Kleiber recording it is, I believe it was packaged with recordings of the 5th and 7th as well, all from the early 90's.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

YT300000 wrote:Well, for the Furtwangler I mean the 74 minute long 1951 performance.
Well, congratulations, you just happened to get the worst of his three recordings, but which DG keeps marketing as the best Furtwängler recording to Oblivion. Seriously, look at the 1954 Lausanne recording. It is way, way superior in every regard to the 1951. Less crowd coughing and the orchestra doesn't try to get away from Furtwängler in the fourth movement (Especially the horn player annoys me to no end in the 1951 version).

Note that Furtwängler said about the 1954 recording "I was with one foot in the other world at that time" (translation by me) and that it was AFAIK the only recording he ever really felt comfortable about.
I can't recall which Kleiber recording it is, I believe it was packaged with recordings of the 5th and 7th as well, all from the early 90's.
Would it be part of his overall Beethoven cycle, released by the DG?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

Alright, I'll check that one out, thanks. What interested me the most about the recording was in how different it was from the way in which I was used to hearing the Ninth, and I'd definitely welcome a better version thereof.

Yes, I think the Kleiber must have been from the overall cycle, because I've never actually seen an individually packaged record of the Ninth conducted by him.

TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Most of what I would recommend has been mentioned, but I'd add "Bukra Wba'do" as done by Pink Martini.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
bozazz
Youngling

Post by bozazz »

Queen - Greatest Hits. I've been listening to this album for years and it never gets tired.

Simon and Garfunkel - I am a Rock

Peggy lee - It's A Good Day

The Platters - Smoke Gets In Your Eyes

The Inkspots -I Don't Want To Set The World On Fire (finally they got them into Fallout :D)

The Beatles - all of it. But who doesn't like them?

Chilliwack - My Girl,Gone,Gone,Gone

The Everly Brothers - When Will I Be Loved
Akkleptos
Jedi Knight

Post by Akkleptos »

I second many of the entries here... The Beatles, Queen, David Bowie, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin... All in all, the greatest of the greats.

But your list would not be really complete without:
Depeche Mode - Music for the Masses (What you listen to on a cloudy day, in a pensive mood)

Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygene (What "electronic music" really means)

Issao Tomita - Snowflakes are Dancing

and sooooo many other, but these will have to suffice by now... :wink:
Life in Commodore 64:
10 OPEN "EYES",1,1
20 GET UP$:IF UP$="" THEN 20
30 GOTO BATHROOM
GENERATION 29
Don't like what I'm saying?
Take it up with my representative:
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

KISS: Destroyer
God of Thunder. Need I say more?

The Very Best of KISS
Most of their very best songs from all throughout their career.

Jethro Tull: Aqualung
Simply a great album.

Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon
This one explains itself.

Led Zeppelin II
The best Zeppelin album, in my opinion.

Led Zeppelin: Mothership
All of the best songs.
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

You know, saying an album is self-explanatory might work with other people who've heard it, or are familiar with it, but it doesn't help people who have no idea what you're talking about.
XXXI
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Phantasee wrote:You know, saying an album is self-explanatory might work with other people who've heard it, or are familiar with it, but it doesn't help people who have no idea what you're talking about.
If somebody doesn't know what Dark Side of the Moon is, I don't think they can be helped.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

The Vortex Empire wrote:If somebody doesn't know what Dark Side of the Moon is, I don't think they can be helped.
You're stupid, and I don't think that can be helped.
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

Phantasee wrote:You know, saying an album is self-explanatory might work with other people who've heard it, or are familiar with it, but it doesn't help people who have no idea what you're talking about.
DSOTM is generally regarded as the Pink Floyd album to have since it's so groundbreaking, influential, etc. etc. I don't agree with the critics and hold the opinion that Meddle and Wish You Were Here are both better albums.
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
Count Chocula
Jedi Council Member
Location: You've asked me for my sacrifice, and I am winter born

Post by Count Chocula »

I'd be happy on a desert island with just two works:

1. Beethoven's Ninth Symphony
2. Haunted by Poe

I've memorized all my other essentials, and most of them are on this list already.
The only people who were safe were the legion; after one of their AT-ATs got painted dayglo pink with scarlet go faster stripes, they identified the perpetrators and exacted revenge. - Eleventh Century Remnant

Lord Monckton is my heeerrooo

"Yeah, well, fuck them. I never said I liked the Moros." - Shroom Man 777
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

J wrote:
DSOTM is generally regarded as the Pink Floyd album to have since it's so groundbreaking, influential, etc. etc. I don't agree with the critics and hold the opinion that Meddle and Wish You Were Here are both better albums.
And let's not forget the criminally underrated Animals and The Final Cut (which has some of Gilmour's best playing). Personally, I think Meddle is a bit uneven, and I really appreciate the more dynamic nature of Dark Side, but it's unquestionably the first of their classic records. Atom Heart Mother was ambitious, but didn't quite get there.

charlemagne
Jedi Knight

Post by charlemagne »

YT300000 wrote: And let's not forget the criminally underrated Animals and The Final Cut (which has some of Gilmour's best playing). Personally, I think Meddle is a bit uneven, and I really appreciate the more dynamic nature of Dark Side, but it's unquestionably the first of their classic records. Atom Heart Mother was ambitious, but didn't quite get there.
In my opinion both Meddle and Atom Heart Mother (closely followed by Wish you were here) are better than DSOTM. The 23-minute-tracks Echoes and Atom Heart Mother are what Pink Floyd is all about, and the only thing that makes DSOTM "better" is that it sold/still sells more copies.

Also DSOTM doesn't have dog feat. blues harp. Can't beat that ;)
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

Yeah, but Meddle doesn't have Roger "short, sharp shock" Manifold, now does it? :P

For me, what makes Dark Side better is that despite being completely sober the first time I heard it, I just had the most intense physical and mental reaction, like I did to Beethoven's Ninth. And the same happened the first time I heard it stoned, the first time I heard the version on P.U.L.S.E., and when I saw Waters and his band play it live two years ago. All these years after having first heard it, it's still my favourite record by far, and a goal to aspire to in my music.

Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

J wrote:
Thank you for that useful answer, J. I appreciate it.
XXXI
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

I'll limit myself to my top three albums:

3. Static-X - Wisconsin Death Trip. Cannibal came close, but the original Static-X album is still the best. People ask me what this band really is: nu-metal, grindcore, whatever other silly names there might be, but the lead singer, Wayne Static, describes it best. It's evil disco.

2. Rob Zombie - Hellbilly Deluxe. This played on basically an infinite loop the year I got my drivers' license, and ten years later, it still holds up. Most albums have a song or two that you feel meh about, but not this one.

1. Rage Against the Machine - Live at the Grand Olympic Auditorium. RAtM's last two live shows before they broke up in 2000, this is the definitive Rage album. And since I have to pick a single one, this is it. My only gripe is no "Ghost of Tom Joad," but hey, nothing's perfect, right?
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Akkleptos
Jedi Knight

Post by Akkleptos »

Stark wrote:
The Vortex Empire wrote:If somebody doesn't know what Dark Side of the Moon is, I don't think they can be helped.
You're stupid, and I don't think that can be helped.
"Stupid" beyond help would be overlooking this.
Exemplia gratia:
Hypothetical member B wrote:
Hypothetical member A wrote:Just saying "The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967), 'nuff said" doesn't really tell me anything
What? Did you just crawl from under a rock?
I'm not such a huge Floyd fan, but even so, I still think that (as any serious rock/pop music critic in the civilised world you can think of will agree) if anyone didn't know the relevance of The Dark Side of the Moon, they'd be in dire need of some "20th Century Music Milestones 101 remedial course".
Life in Commodore 64:
10 OPEN "EYES",1,1
20 GET UP$:IF UP$="" THEN 20
30 GOTO BATHROOM
GENERATION 29
Don't like what I'm saying?
Take it up with my representative: