2008 NFL Season Thread- The Road to Super Bowl XLIII

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Re: 2008 NFL Season Thread- The Road to Super Bowl XLIII

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Next week in football should be good, we have two games that will end up practically determining home field advantage in each conference.

After that it gets into the ugly realm of tiebreaking scenarios. Here is the tiebreaker for opponents in the same division.
Two Clubs:
1. Head-to-head (games between the clubs).
2. Best won-lost percentage in games played within the division.
3. Best won-lost percentage in common games.
4. Best won-lost- percentage in games played within the conference.
5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.
7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
9. Best net points in common games.
10. Best net points in all games.
11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
For Three or more clubs, the same steps apply, and if at any point in the process one team ins eliminated, it goes back to step one until here is but one team remaining.

It looks like in this scenario that if San Diego manages to win next week and Denver manages to lose, and then the Chargers beat Denver and both teams finish 8-8, the Chargers advance by virtue of a better divisional record.

Of the 3 AFC East teams the Jets currently hold a one game lead for that first tiebreaker, as they have a 4-1 record in the division vs. the 3-2 records of New England and Miami. The Jets play Miami in the final week and thus still control their own destiny at this point. If for whatever reason the three teams end up with identical win loss recods and identical divisional records it then falls to common games. Those common opponents are the teams from the NFC West and AFC West this season. HEre is a list of the teams, with the results for the Pats, Dolphins and Jets

Kansas City (Jets: W, Fins: Week 16, Pats: W)
Denver (Jets: L, Fins: W, Pats: W)
San Diego(Jets: L, Fins: W, Pats: L)
Oakland (Jets: L, Fins: W, Pats: W)
St. Louis (Jets: W, Fins: W, Pats: W)
Seattle (Jets: Week 16, Fins: W, Pats: W)
Arizona (Jets: W, Fins L, Pats: Week 16)
San Francisco (Jets: L, Fins: W, Pats: W)

Jets Record: 3-4
Fins Record: 6-1
Pats Record: 6-1

At this point the Jets would be eliminated, and the result of Miami's game against Kansas City, and New England's game against Arizona, could possibly determine the tiebreaker.

In the scenario where the Patriots and Dolphins are still tied with their overall record, divisional record, and common opponent's records, it falls to their conference records.

Currently Miami is 6-4 and New England is 6-5. So the possibility remains that both teams could end up tied, although Miami holds the half game edge which is critical:

No matter what, if one team gains a game in the standings over the other in the next two weeks, then the overall record will not be identical and the tie broken (but you all knew that ;-))

If MIA beats KC and NY
and NE beats ARI and BUF
then MIA wins the tiebreaker by virtue of an 8-4 conference record over a 7-5 record

If MIA loses to KC and NY
and NE loses to ARI and BUF
then MIA wins the tiebreaker by a game over common opponents, at this point a loss to Buffalo would be a dealbreaker for the Pats because niether Miami or NY lost to the Bills this season, I haven't factored them into common opposition yet because it hasn't been necessary until now.

If MIA loses to KC and beats NY
and NE loses to ARI and beats BUF
then the tiebreaking continues, with each team have identical records in the division, against common opponents, and in the AFC

If MIA beats KC and loses to NY
and NE loses to ARI and beats BUF
then NE wins because this scenario breaks the tie for the division between the two clubs, if this scenario occurs we may not be looking at any tiebreakers going this deep at all.

If MIA loses to KC and beats NY
and NE beats ARI and loses to BUF
same as before, a loss to Buffalo is dealbreaker for the Patriots in more ways than one.

So if it is still tied at THIS point between NE and MIA, then we get the lovely thing known as "Strength of Victory". If it somehow gets to this point the NFL Network should host a one or two hour special as a bunch of guys in suits do the math of the whole thing and put it up on a whiteboard.
Strength of Victory wrote:A part of the NFL's tiebreaking proceedure, strength of victory is figured by calculating the combined winning percentage of the opponents a team has beaten.
Needless to say that with two weeks remaining this will be very very difficult to calculate.

Current Fins Opp. Win Pct - 0.452
Current Pats Opp. Win Pct - 0.420

Right now the Fins have a slight edge in this department, their opponents have 4 more total wins than the Patriots opposition. Beating San Diego helped and NE has already played against Kansas City, and the game against Arizona becomes that much more beneficial to the Pats. It is very unlikely that the two teams will be tied after this. The next step after this is strength of schedule, and it isn't much of a stretch to expect the Pats schedule strength to finihs higher than Miami's due to having played Pittsburgh and Indy as uncommon opponents, while the Fins played against Baltimore and Houston.

So that SHOULD cover all of our bases for the AFC West and East Championships, here is hoping it doesn't get to that point.
Last edited by Darth Fanboy on 2008-12-17 04:16pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Bilbo
Jedi Master

Post by Bilbo »

The Spartan wrote:Oh my fucking god! We beat the Titans. This is huge. Not only because we beat the Titans, but because we now have a legitimate shot at a winning season. I was pegging us as 8-8 at best. But after this win, and the win we'll get next week (sorry Hav, the Raiders are going to lose) all we have left is the Bears and we have a decent shot at beating them.

It's going to happen, it's going to happen, it's...
The Titans had already clinched. Did they have any reason to risk anyone important in the game?
I KILL YOU!!!
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

No, but they did anyway. Now they will have one of the most vicious, disruptive defensive tackles, and possibly an MVP candidate, coming off a knee sprain going into the playoffs. AND they didn't get the win, and Pittsburgh is probably going to end up with home field now, and the Titans great season is going to go down in the second round of the playoffs.

That whole game was a cluster fuck for the Titans.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Well, here are my penultimate regular season predictions on the year.

Indianapolis at Jacksonville
Baltimore at Dallas
Cincinnati at Cleveland
New Orleans at Detroit
Arizona at New England
Pittsburgh at Tennessee
San Francisco at St. Louis
Miami at Kansas City
San Diego at Tampa Bay
Buffalo at Denver
New York Jets at Seattle
Houston at Oakland
Atlanta at Minnesota
Philadelphia at Washington
Carolina at New York Giants
Green Bay at Chicago
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Qwerty 42 wrote:Pro Bowl rosters got confirmed.
WASHINGTON:

RB Clinton Portis
FB Mike Sellers (starter)
TE Chris Cooley
OT Chris Samuels
I like him but how the hell does Samuels keep getting selected to the Pro Bowl? He is fine when he has to pull and he works well on containing inside moves but he has been getting beaten on the edge for the last few years. Christ Thomas and Rabach are better linemen than he is...oh and they aren't currently injured. On that same note I'm saddened that neither Washington nor Fletcher are on this list, both are far more deserving than Samuels and the Defense for all that it has given up points has been the sole reason the Skins haven't been blown out of games by more crappy as the offense has been.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Qwerty 42 wrote:Well, here are my penultimate regular season predictions on the year.
That is a lot of road teams.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

In positive news for the Browns, how about red zone defense! Brandon McDonald almost had a whole hell of a lot of highlight reel time if it wasn't for the hustle of Brian Westbrook, that was good work.

Also, 10 wins in my picks last week, almost 11 if not for those fucking Bills. I'm so goddamned sick of the "The New York Bretts are gonna win the Super Bowl!!! :wanker: " shit that I want them to lose and prove how shitty they are. Favre should never have made it to the Pro Bowl. He made it for one reason, that reason being that he is Brett Motherfuckin' Favre. His stats are not impressive. I personally voted for Pennington over Favre.

Indianapolis at Jacksonville-Indy's on a roll
Baltimore at Dallas- Dallas got lucky, the Ravens will shut them down.
Cincinnati at Cleveland- Hopefully...
New Orleans at Detroit- History in the making!
Arizona at New England-Arizona's dying. They clinched too early
Pittsburgh at Tennessee-Tough loss for Tennessee. Pitt's getting lucky to catch them without Haynesworth
San Francisco at St. Louis- No explanation needed. The Rams suck
Miami at Kansas City- Playoffs are on the line every week, and they're playing well
San Diego at Tampa Bay-They'll break their skid
Buffalo at Denver-Dick Jauron sucks.
New York Jets at Seattle-The Jets choke out west. Again.
Houston at Oakland-Houston's actually pretty good.
Atlanta at Minnesota-Karma caught up to Minnesota. Strong rushing attack+loss of P. Williams=Atlanta wins.
Philadelphia at Washington- I guess they're good again.
Carolina at New York Giants-Lucky to play the Plax- and Jacobs-less G-men
Green Bay at Chicago-Maybe they can be a spoiler

I picked 11 road teams. That's a lot, but I think the matchups warrant it.
"Have you ever been fucked in the ass? because if you have you will understand why we have that philosophy"
- Alyrium Denryle, on HAB's policy of "Too much is almost enough"

"The jacketed ones are, but we're talking carefully-placed shits here. "-out of context, by Stuart
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

Hey Dark - you and I are in the same boat on Pennington vs. Favre for the Probowl - ask yourself this, though - how delicious would it have been for pennington to get picked along with Favre, right - only Pennington starts? I would lol.
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Chardok wrote:Hey Dark - you and I are in the same boat on Pennington vs. Favre for the Probowl - ask yourself this, though - how delicious would it have been for pennington to get picked along with Favre, right - only Pennington starts? I would lol.
I was going to vote for Pennington, but the deadline was in the middle of my finals week so I didn't vote.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

I haven't done much in the way of picks this year but i'm going to go out on a limb and call it.

The Detroit Lions will beat the New Orleans Saints.

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

What a choke by Jacksonville. Garrard's amazing game interrupted by that INT. This after 3 1/2 quarters of the JAgs doing everything right to beat a team like Indy who is way better than they are. Then Jones-Drew getting hurt on that last drive was the nail in the coffin, not only because he was out of the game but the ten second runoff as well.

Colts Clinch the first Wild Card spot and there are now four teams vying for two remaining spots in the AFC.

San Diego and Tampa has the possibility to be the most interesting game of the week though, even with the best two teams in each conference playing each other. After the way their defense got bombed on by Carolina, I wonder if LT can have his best game of the season doing some of the same things, and if the Chargers can at least partially keep their playoff hopes alive.

Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Darth Fanboy wrote:What a choke by Jacksonville. Garrard's amazing game interrupted by that INT. This after 3 1/2 quarters of the JAgs doing everything right to beat a team like Indy who is way better than they are. Then Jones-Drew getting hurt on that last drive was the nail in the coffin, not only because he was out of the game but the ten second runoff as well.

Colts Clinch the first Wild Card spot and there are now four teams vying for two remaining spots in the AFC.

San Diego and Tampa has the possibility to be the most interesting game of the week though, even with the best two teams in each conference playing each other. After the way their defense got bombed on by Carolina, I wonder if LT can have his best game of the season doing some of the same things, and if the Chargers can at least partially keep their playoff hopes alive.
Let it be known that Philadelphia would not mind to see San Diego win.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I have solved the riddle to defeat every modern offense ever. PASS RUSH. Not only can I point to last years, Superbowl, but I just watched the 98 Championship game and HOW THE FUCK DO YOU LOSE WITH RANDALL CUNNINGHAM, CHRIS CARTER, ROBERT SMITH AND RANDY MOSS?! To Chris Chandler and the Falcons of all teams? PASS RUSH! The Falcons pass rush fucked the Vikings and Cunningham up. Defense wins championships.

Yes... not exactly a revolutionary epiphany. :wink:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

You should have told that to Jack Del Rio on Thursday Night.

Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!! THIS IS FUCKING AWESOME!!! A fullback just ran 82 fucking yards on the Cowboys! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I can NOT remember seeing a defensive collapse this bad in my life.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Understatement of a post, looking at the final stats for LE'Ron MClain you might have thought he had a really good game unless you knew the details.

-Ravens Rushing Yards until 3:50 left in the game: 106 yards
-Ravens Rushing Yards at the end of the game: 265 yards (+159 yards from two plays)

That is not a playoff defense, and after all the hoopla about bringing in Wade Phillips he is probably going to get canned. I can't say I feel too bad that is going to be the last game at Texas Stadium. Also quite a lot of fumbles tonight it seemed like and i'm surprised so many were recovered.

Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Dallas struggles in the clutch. The playoffs were on the line, and they couldn't put away Baltimore. In the race for homefield advantage last year, they couldn't beat the 5-8 Eagles. Of course, the Packers couldn't beat the Bears, so that ultimately didn't matter. Then the year before, in the race for the division, they couldn't beat the abysmal 2-13 Lions. And I don't need to mention the Seahawks or Giants IN the playoffs. You almost hate to see what it will look like with the playoffs on the line next week in Philadelphia.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

They had a nifty statistic and that is the Cowboys have had a losing Dec-Jan record every season for the last 11 seasons. :shock: That's not just bad that's hilariously bad.

Also funny was when the color commentary guy, before the Dallas kickoff, said in effect "I would kick onside, look the last time you kicked it deep Baltimroe ran one play and got a touchdown so I would kick onside." Ahhh that was comedy to see a former fullback like McClain rumble down the field with another pure fullback (Neal) running right alongside him. That is 550+lbs of hurt chugging down the field like a crazy purple freight train.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Kaiser Caesar
Youngling

Post by Kaiser Caesar »

New England's utterly crushing the Cardinals, it's 47-0 right now.
starslayer
Jedi Knight

Post by starslayer »

Dude, what the fuck? We're down 16-3 to St. fucking Louis? The Niners haven't lost yet, but man, how the hell did that happen?
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Okay! The Chargers season survived the 1st half of Sunday games (I slept through it)
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BUFFALO! :P
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

starslayer wrote:Dude, what the fuck? We're down 16-3 to St. fucking Louis? The Niners haven't lost yet, but man, how the hell did that happen?
No faith baby! :D

It was nice that Issac Bruce got his 1000th catch in front of his home fans. :)
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

And the one game where the Raiders are in the lead, and it is fucking blacked out. Shitty poor Raider fans... GO BUY TICKETS! :D On the flip side I get to watch a sweet snow game in Seattle. I love snow games.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
starslayer
Jedi Knight

Post by starslayer »

havokeff wrote:No faith baby!
I must admit, I didn't see that comeback coming. Unfortunately, after recent history, I have no faith in most of our local sports teams to come back from late deficits. I'm glad I got proven wrong here.

And sweet Jesus, how the hell are the Raiders beating the Texans? I sure didn't see that one coming either.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Touchdown Bills.

Buffalo has taken the lead in the early moments of the 4th quarter.

EDIT:

And just like that Denver is driving again, think this lack of a clutch defense has contributed to the Bills steeeeep decline?

EDIT2:

And the BILLS respond quickly to the Denver field goal with a big kick return and three consecutive plays of 10+ yards

WHY IN THE FUCK ISN'T CBS OUT HERE PICKING UP THIS GAME. OBVIOUSLY SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA WOULD RATHER WATCH SKIING OH YES. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

EDIT3:

Touchdown Bills. 30-23, Denver ball with just under nine minutes to play.

EDIT4:

Buffalo intercepts but it called back because of a Penalty, and Denver gains 19 yards on the next play.
Last edited by Darth Fanboy on 2008-12-21 06:54pm, edited 2 times in total.