2008 NFL Season Thread- The Road to Super Bowl XLIII

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Re: 2008 NFL Season Thread- The Road to Super Bowl XLIII

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Dark Flame wrote:Well, I was also the only one to correctly call the Giants-Browns game earlier this season, so occasionally even the blind rabid Browns fan gets it right! :P
You and Drew Carey man. :lol: Seriously I love you because it means there is a fan on this board of a team worse than the 49ers, and now Hav and I don't look so bad.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
That NOS Guy
Jedi Council Member

Post by That NOS Guy »

Darth Fanboy wrote: You and Drew Carey man. :lol: Seriously I love you because it means there is a fan on this board of a team worse than the 49ers, and now Hav and I don't look so bad.
There has to be a Lions fan out there somewhere.
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

That NOS Guy wrote:
Darth Fanboy wrote: You and Drew Carey man. :lol: Seriously I love you because it means there is a fan on this board of a team worse than the 49ers, and now Hav and I don't look so bad.
Haha thanks, I think. :lol:

Hell, last year we had Chardok and his Dolphins, and I think Hav has some Raiders loyalty.. :P
"Have you ever been fucked in the ass? because if you have you will understand why we have that philosophy"
- Alyrium Denryle, on HAB's policy of "Too much is almost enough"

"The jacketed ones are, but we're talking carefully-placed shits here. "-out of context, by Stuart
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

That NOS Guy wrote:
Darth Garden Gnome, but I haven't seen him in a looooooooooooooooooooong time.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

A 50-yard field goal puts the Vikings over the Giants at the end of the 4th, clinching the NFC North.

20-19 Vikings.

Addendum:

A 42-yard kick puts the Panthers over the Saints with a second to go.

33-31 Panthers as time expires.

Edit:

Stink-jerks, er, Cowboys at Eagles to start shortly. A victory sends the winning team to the playoffs.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Yes, we don't look so bad. :) I am however, still debating weather or not to be a Raider fan. I like Tom Cable and the youth of the team, but... they are the Raiders. :? It's kinda like rooting for Palpatine and the Empire. They have great uniforms, but you know they will turn on you. :D
Interesting thought; Will the win against the Buccs get the Raiders pointed in the right direction for the foreseeable future as the SB loss against the Buccs sent them completely downhill?

I can not fucking believe the Eagles have a shot at the playoffs. :lol: GO EAGLES!

P.S. Some great finishes today. I also have to say it has been a great season all around. Cheers to the NFL for putting out a great product...again. :D
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Eagles! 17-3 with 2 minutes to go in the 1st half.

By the way, Detroit goes 0-16:
Sunday, December 28, 2008

Absolute imperfection: Lions become first team to finish 0-16

Green Bay, WI (Sports Network) - The Detroit Lions became the first team in NFL history to go 0-16 as Aaron Rogers threw three touchdowns and the Green Bay Packers put down the Lions, 31-21, to end Detroit's season of futility.

The Lions (0-16) became the first team since the 1976 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, who went 0-14 in their expansion season, and the first team since the league went to a 16-game format to finish a full campaign without a win.

The Lions now join the 1962 New York Mets (40-112), the 1972-73 Philadelphia 76ers (9-73) and the 1974-75 Washington Capitals (8-67-5) as having the worst season in their respective sports. However, the Mets and Capitals were both expansion teams when they set the mark.

Detroit has finished winless previously, going 0-11 in the 1942 campaign that saw the war-depleted Lions outscored by a whopping 263-38.

Dan Orlovsky went 22-for-42 with 225 yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions while Calvin Johnson had nine catches for 102 yards and two scores for the Lions, who have dropped 17 straight overall and 12 consecutive games on the road.

Rodgers went 21-for-31 with 308 yards while Donald Driver had six catches for 111 yards and a score for the Packers (6-10), who stopped a five-game skid, but missed the playoffs just one season after going 13-3 and coming within an overtime loss of playing in the Super Bowl.

Trailing by a touchdown early in the third quarter, the Detroit defense came up with a big play as Ryan Grant fumbled the ball on a carry and Kalvin Pearson recovered it at the Green Bay 11. Two plays later, Johnson caught a pass over the middle and raced into the end zone from 14 yards out to tie the game with 10:20 left in the third.

The score remained that way through the rest of the third quarter, but the Packers took a 17-14 lead on a 36-yard field goal from Mason Crosby just 1:26 into the fourth on a drive that spanned the third and fourth quarters.

After holding Detroit to a three-and-out on the ensuing possession, the Packers made it a 24-14 game as Rodgers hit John Kuhn out in the left flat and he just stretched the ball into the end zone on a five-yard score with 8:34 to play.

Detroit, though, needed just four plays to make it a three-point game. Orlovsky hit John Standeford on passes of 35 and 36 yards and Kevin Smith capped the drive with a nine-yard score to make it a 24-21 game with 7:32 to play.

The Packers, though, needed just one play to again make it a 10-point game as Rodgers found Driver wide open down the right sideline and he took it into the end zone on an 80-yard score.

Orlovsky was picked off with under three minutes to play and Green Bay killed off the rest of the clock.

After an exchange of punts to start the game, Green Bay took a 7-0 lead as DeShawn Wynn took a pitch out to the right, followed his blockers and raced down the sideline for a 73-yard score with 8:49 left in the first.

With Detroit holding the ball near midfield, Charles Woodson picked off Orlovsky and returned the ball to the Detroit 41. Six plays later, Rodgers found Jermichael Finley in the right corner of the end zone on a three-yard score for a 14-0 lead with 1:29 left in the first.

The Lions, though, answered with a long drive to get on the board. A 12-play drive that covered 63 yards was capped when Orlovsky threw a fade to the left side of the end zone and Johnson came down with the ball for a nine-yard score with 11:17 left in the second to make it a 14-7 game. The big play of the drive was a fourth down conversion that saw Orlovsky hit Keary Colbert for 11 yards to move the chains.

Game Notes

The Lions have dropped nine of the last 10 against Green Bay and have lost 17 straight road games in the series...Driver finished the season with over 1,000 yards receiving, the fifth straight time he has done that...Rodgers threw for over 4,000 yards on the season and became just the second quarterback in NFL history, Kurt Warner being the first, to throw for over 4,000 yards in his first year as a starter...Grant had 19 carries for 106 yards while Wynn finished the game with eight carries for 105 yards...Smith had 28 carries for 92 yards and a score.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

24-3 Eagles with a few seconds in the 1st half...

Eagles recover a loose ball with 5 seconds left.

Eagles kick a 50-yard FG.

27-3 Eagles as 1st half ends.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

FSTargetDrone wrote: By the way, Detroit goes 0-16:
*snip* The Lions are very bad.
As I said before, a complete and utter dismantling of the entire franchise from the top management down. This isn't bad like the Dolphins were bad, where it was simply coaching and quality of players. It isn't Atlanta where it was off the field issues. It isn't even the Raiders where it is just perceived bad ownership but the team is still competitive.

It has been a declining situation over years and possibly decades. (Imagine the Lions in the 80s and 90s without Barry Sanders. And look how they squandered him.)
Every single person in that organization needs to be let go from the executives to the players to the janitors and the team needs to be treated as an expansion. Trade away every player for as many draft picks as possible and bring in the best coaches and personnel people that money can buy.

It is a culture of losing in Detroit and every single person is tainted. There are players and coaches and executives that are out there that can fix the situation, but I doubt anyone of them want to go there unless there are real wholesale changes.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Baltimore is beating down Jacksonville and the Jets looks like they are going to eat shit. The Patriots at 11-5 are going to miss the playoffs. Wow. Also, you have to think that Tom Brady is worth 5 victories. Two 16-0 seasons back to back if he doesn't go down 10 minutes into the season? Y/N?

Edit: Check that. The Jets are getting their shit together. And FUCKING WOW. Tony Romo is the new John Elway pre-SB wins? Y/N?
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

The goddamn Eagles are scoring on nearly every opportunity and then some.

A ~70 yard run end with another TD. 34-3 Eagles.

The 'Boys look dead. And it's what they deserve.

Update:

Sweet Jebus.

The Cowboys fumble the ball again and the Eagles punish them with a Ninety-Six yard return for the TD. 41-3 Eagles.

Where was all of this last week?? :D
Last edited by FSTargetDrone on 2008-12-28 06:21pm, edited 1 time in total.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Holy fucking shit. Jerry Jones is going to have a stroke. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if people are fired tonight in Dallas.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

havokeff wrote:Holy fucking shit. Jerry Jones is going to have a stroke. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if people are fired tonight in Dallas.
He looks unwell.

Check this out... another Dallas fumble, and another recovery by the boys in midnight green.

Update:

Eagles "settle" (ha!) for a perfect, dead-center kick.

44-3 Eagles.
Last edited by FSTargetDrone on 2008-12-28 06:25pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

I guess the Eagles really wanted that last playoff spot. :lol:
Edit: Check that. The Jets are getting their shit together. And FUCKING WOW. Tony Romo is the new John Elway pre-SB wins? Y/N?
No. Elway won some playoff games. Tony Romo is the new Bobby Hebert.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Elfdart wrote:I guess the Eagles really wanted that last playoff spot. :lol:
2 scores ago, the local (Eagles) radio guys started praising Romo. Now they are calling (in jest) for the game to end now for humanitarian reasons.

:P

I think havokeff had a point. Jones may drop dead if they get slapped around much more.

So I would call for a mercy rule.

Except it's the hated Cowboys.

Pile it on!
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Elfdart wrote:I guess the Eagles really wanted that last playoff spot. :lol:
No. Elway won some playoff games. Tony Romo is the new Bobby Hebert.
You are a mean, cold hearted individual. :lol:
FSTargetDrone wrote: Except it's the hated Cowboys.

Pile it on!
YES! :twisted:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

havokeff wrote:
FSTargetDrone wrote: Except it's the hated Cowboys.

Pile it on!
YES! :twisted:
Reid is actually smiling on the sidelines and waving his arms at the crowd to stir up more cheers. Astonishing.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Well a week ago he was out and McNabb was gone. Now they have a chance to win the Superbowl. You have to love this league. :D
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Calling Dark Flame, Calling Dark Flame...

31-0

That is all.

Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

havokeff wrote:Well a week ago he was out and McNabb was gone. Now they have a chance to win the Superbowl. You have to love this league. :D
Moreover, the last time the Chargers had a chance to be in charge of their division was week 2 when Ed Hochuli blew a call and swung it in Denver's favor. We went 0-2 with a head-to-head loss instead of 1-1 with a tie-breaking win.

Now, in the 256th game of the season, the last game of the regular season, we finally have another shot at it, and consequently the post-season. :mrgreen: (edit: changed "year" to "regular season;" made more sense)
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

The Cowboys actually score for the first time since the 1st quarter with a meaningless (at this point) field goal.

44-6 Eagles in the 4th.

Update:

Reid has Kolb in for McNabb now.

Let's see if he looks any better with no pressure at all. :)

Update at 19:03:

Now Bollinger in is for (an apparently "hurt") Romo.

4:50 to go...
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Damn. This Niners Redskins game is good. And promising. I almost hate to say it, but I think that the Niners should keep Martz, just to keep some continuity in the offense for Hill. Also, his pass happiness will balance out what I'm sure is going to be Singletary's run happiness.

Edit: IT'S GOOD!!! :D
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

havokeff wrote:Edit: IT'S GOOD!!! :D
"I don't believe what I just saw!"

44-6 Eagles.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Congratulations to Mike Holmgren and a very successful first run in the NFL, with the Green Bay Packers and Seattle Seahawks. :D
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
erik_t
Jedi Master

Post by erik_t »

God bless Favre. Ending with a pick and then an illegal forward pass.

Fuck him in the eye. I hope he dies.