EW.com reveals new Enterprise

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

open_sketchbook
Jedi Master

Re: EW.com reveals new Enterprise

Post by open_sketchbook »

Why not! It's a round bridge, and there is already a window. The bridge becomes a turret; sounds good to me!
1980s Rock is to music what Giant Robot shows are to anime
Think about it.

Cruising low in my N-1 blasting phat beats,
showin' off my chrome on them Coruscant streets
Got my 'saber on my belt and my gat by side,
this here yellow plane makes for a sick ride
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

So what, exactly, would be the POINT of a spinning bridge?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
open_sketchbook
Jedi Master

Post by open_sketchbook »

To point the window at things? Rule of Cool? Pleasant dining atmosphere?

I doubt the bridge actually turns. But I wouldn't have any problem with it if it did.
1980s Rock is to music what Giant Robot shows are to anime
Think about it.

Cruising low in my N-1 blasting phat beats,
showin' off my chrome on them Coruscant streets
Got my 'saber on my belt and my gat by side,
this here yellow plane makes for a sick ride
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Please tell me they're not using the offset bridge design from the TOS blueprints... nobody can be that much of a canon whore and still function as a human being :wtf:

Incidentally -

Let the hunt commence.
DaveJB
Jedi Council Member

Post by DaveJB »

I can sort of see the point of a rotating bridge, if the viewscreen has been reduced to just a window, and they need to see things not in their direct line of sight... but if you need an awkward solution like that, what was the point of ever getting rid of the viewscreen in the first place? (From a real-world POV, I mean, not within the Trek universe)

Not to mention the fact that if the rotating mechanism got stuck at 90 degrees or whatever, it'd make the ship a bitch to pilot, in addition to probably cutting off turbolift access to the bridge. I guess this is yet another thing we're going to have to wait for some confirmation on.
Jon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jon »

I doubt there is a rotating bridge. Spock is exactly the same in each image, his posture and facial expressions havent changed, so unless the bridge is rotating pretty damn quickly, I imagine this is just something to do with effects that wasn't addressed- the empire shot looks like the more polished of the two, even if it was released earlier- and the layout of the saucer from the empire shot makes more sense.
Bilbo
Jedi Master

Post by Bilbo »

Batman wrote:So what, exactly, would be the POINT of a spinning bridge?
Makes a great place to have a restaurant.
I KILL YOU!!!
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Call me pessimistic but having a restaurant on the bridge of a warship MIGHT interfere with the bridge crew efficiently operating the ship. :P
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Did it occur to anyone that it might be a digital display that is feeding camera/sensor data in a rotating fashion while the bridge itself is fixed?
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Probably not, because that'd be an incredibly stupid way to display that data.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Batman wrote:Call me pessimistic but having a restaurant on the bridge of a warship MIGHT interfere with the bridge crew efficiently operating the ship. :P
I don't know. Do you know how it is like fighting Klingons on an empty stomach? :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Batman wrote:Probably not, because that'd be an incredibly stupid way to display that data.
And a rotating bridge is a good idea? Its incredibly easy to simply convert sensor data and show a rotation. Thats how they did it in TNG. The screen wasn't a camera pointed outside, it was converted sensor data.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Alyeska wrote:
Batman wrote:Probably not, because that'd be an incredibly stupid way to display that data.
And a rotating bridge is a good idea?
Yeah, like I totally didn't ask what the point of a spinning bridge would be to begin with earlier in this thread.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I make a crack about rotating bridge and everyone takes it too seriously. lol :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Sorry, late to the thread.

Seems to me that the new movie, ship design anyways, is going the B&B route. That is, designing a pre Trek ship based off of the TNG Enterpirse, because that's what it looks like to me. Curvy neck placed further back on the engineering hull, nacelles pylons similar or at least hearken back to the Galaxy class. Hell, even the squashed engineering hull looks like the Galaxy class design theory behind it.

Enterprise the show and the plot seemed to me to be an attempted to make a prequel to ST TNG and push the TOS out of the way, and perhaps I'm being over dramatic about it, but the new movie (at least with the ship) seems to me to be doing the same.

So, yeah. I don't like it.

On a side note, I do like the engines and I'd be fine with the flare or shroud of the things especialy if they put some sort of impulse or whatever they plan on calling their rockets in there.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Minor update: Playmates has presented its range of toys for the new Star Trek movie, including playsets for the transporter room and bridge. Now, these are toys and might not be accurate, but they're still interesting:

And the new communicator:

Jon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jon »

They have also revealed the Enterprise toy. The detailing isn't massive and certain bits are a little off such as the writing but I assume the overall shape is accurate- and now we can get a clear view of the end of the nacelles and shuttlebay I think the proportions look a LOT more balanced.

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Is see the bridge has 'Battlestar Pegasus' type glass panels for dramatic shattering effects in battle scenes.
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Bounty wrote:Please tell me they're not using the offset bridge design from the TOS blueprints... nobody can be that much of a canon whore and still function as a human being :wtf:

Incidentally -

Let the hunt commence.
Hunt for what?
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Jon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jon »

Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Hunt for what?
It's been a custom since TNG to drop as much of the numùber '47' into Trek productions as possible. It's an in-joke from the college Joe Menosky went to; if you pay attention to it, you'll find that nearly every string of numbers or background prop has the '47' or some derivative in it.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Hahaha look at the new phaser:

Looks like something a BSG79 Cylon Centurion would have as a sidearm.
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

I'm pretty sure that's a waterpistol.

Where's that from?
Jon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jon »

Bounty wrote:I'm pretty sure that's a waterpistol.

Where's that from?
It was here http://www.wizarduniverse.com/startrekmovie.html along with various other new movie toys but the page seems to have been removed.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Minus color or even transparency, it looks a lot like the ST V pistols in just shape and design.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red