Feddy Phasers

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Re: Have you ever flashy thinged me?

Post by Alyeska »

Master of Ossus wrote:I'm just amazed that the trekkies need a flashlight. Couldn't they just put on one of Geordi's visors and be able to see in the dark perfectly? And how come it looks like a flashlight?
Actually I am designing (in writing only right now) a combat helmet that looks similar to modern day jet fighter helmets with drop down visor that is much like what you describe. The flashlight on the weapon itself is a backup. When you have certain advanced systems, you need to have backups incase of faliures. Its the same reason you can detach the targetting array and use the Iron Sites.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Howedar wrote:Like we've never abstractly thought about how we'd improve an ISD...

I do like the totally unmodified STANAG magazine though :roll:
You think thats bad? Take a look at this.

http://community.webshots.com/storage/1 ... Usw_ph.jpg

I was just screwing around and decided to see what it looked like with that on. Chris's first reaction when seeing that was "I get the feeling this is slowly going to turn into an M-4..."
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Cpt_Frank
Official SD.Net Evil Warsie Asshole

Post by Cpt_Frank »

For one thing, the most damage you see done by a blaster rifle SW is making a small burn mark on Stormtrooper armour, making a small burnmark on Leaia (I dont care about the spelling)'s arm, blowing R2D2's circuits, and that's about it.
Merely a proof for the good quality of Stormie armor and droid hulls.
As for Leia: character shielding.
Forget Wong's crap about it melting the blast walls in Mos Eisleys,
because if you took that as the power of a blaster rifle, half of the Princess' body would have liquified and pooled into a bunch of red crap, and R2D2 would have been reduced to a pile of molten slag.
R2's hull is very resistant, you can enter the atmosphere of a planet in your X/Y-wing without the little guy burning up. That is indicative for a rugged hull construction.
As for Leia: character shielding.
Star Trek phasers? They've burned holes through solid rock, perhaps "vapourized" human forms, turned people into a little bit of melted bulkhead, turned a boulder into a chunk of slightly-cooled molten lava.. etc.
And as repeatedly demonstrated, phasers suck when deployed against dense materials such as starship hulls.

Btw, can you say power settings?
Supermod
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

When have we seen a phaser incinerate a tree in seconds? Why is the burden of proof on Commander Wilkens that phasers couldn't do relatively high amounts of damage? Why isn't it on SCVN (who thought that cavalry could defeat armored units) to prove that phasers could do that amount of damage?

User099, the fact that a shot in one incident caused only relatively minor burns to a character (if, indeed, they were minor, when they may not have been), does not remove the fact that the blaster rifle was able to do considerable damage to walls in Mos Eisley. If anything, it merely proves that blaster rifles have variable power settings, or that the shot on Leia was merely a glancing hit (unlikely, but possible).

Alyeska, are you claiming to be a member of the staff for ST movies and/or television? Are you claiming to be either a props designer or a person with the authority to construct canonical phaser models for the movies or the show? Because if you are not, what you are planning to do is UTTERLY irrelevent. Why do I care that you are going to design a more realistic phaser?
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Master of Ossus wrote:Alyeska, are you claiming to be a member of the staff for ST movies and/or television? Are you claiming to be either a props designer or a person with the authority to construct canonical phaser models for the movies or the show? Because if you are not, what you are planning to do is UTTERLY irrelevent. Why do I care that you are going to design a more realistic phaser?
And what do I care about your opinion? Other people were making comments about the attempted design and how "pathetic" it was and I was educating them about certain aspects of it. I find it interesting you say you have no care about anything that isn't canon. That would mean you should never use any fan speculation nor any fanmade ships in any debate.

FYI, I didn't create this thread to show off my creation, someone else did asking a question. I was answering some questions and simply informing about other information based on peoples comments. If you don't care, then why did you even bother respond to any of my posts?

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Ah, I see. You made the comment about the flashlights. I also see you ignored my post explaining the need for flashlights.

Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Alyeska wrote: FYI, I didn't create this thread to show off my creation, someone else did asking a question. I was answering some questions and simply informing about other information based on peoples comments. If you don't care, then why did you even bother respond to any of my posts?
Because I do care about the truth, Alyeska, and your efforts to bend it by manufacturing phasers for no purpose will inevitably lead the two of us into conflict.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Alyeska wrote:Ah, I see. You made the comment about the flashlights. I also see you ignored my post explaining the need for flashlights.
Why would flashlights be better than other technologies available to the Federation? Can it be possible that infrared goggles have become either drastically more expensive or less robust than today?

Flashlights are only good for indoor scenarios. They would work fine for fighting in corridors (as in a starship), but they would still not be AS good as reliable and lightweight IR or light amplification goggles. The necessity of ST maglights is either indicative of a lack of practicality in designing IR goggles (and everyone knows that SF is not always the most practical organization), a high cost of manufacturing IR goggles (unlikely, since SF was capable of equipping its forces with a weapon that can essentially only be used in doors and offers only minor advances over other models, which were more versatile), or a lack of technological ability (to make lightweight, reliable goggles for visual aid during low-light scenarios). Also note that the IR goggles (or, even, an IR sight) would offer significant advantages over the flashlight. There are no other reasons to use flashlights on weapons, as seen. There should not be a need for them.

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Master of Ossus wrote:
Alyeska wrote: FYI, I didn't create this thread to show off my creation, someone else did asking a question. I was answering some questions and simply informing about other information based on peoples comments. If you don't care, then why did you even bother respond to any of my posts?
Because I do care about the truth, Alyeska, and your efforts to bend it by manufacturing phasers for no purpose will inevitably lead the two of us into conflict.
So you insult my work because some dumbass might mistake it for canon? :roll: Incidently I am not bending any truth at all. I freely admit this is my own creation, what I feal they OUGHT to use, not what is reality.

Does that mean you dislike any game having to do with Star Trek or Star Wars?

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Master of Ossus wrote:
Alyeska wrote:Ah, I see. You made the comment about the flashlights. I also see you ignored my post explaining the need for flashlights.
Why would flashlights be better than other technologies available to the Federation? Can it be possible that infrared goggles have become either drastically more expensive or less robust than today?

Flashlights are only good for indoor scenarios. They would work fine for fighting in corridors (as in a starship), but they would still not be AS good as reliable and lightweight IR or light amplification goggles. The necessity of ST maglights is either indicative of a lack of practicality in designing IR goggles (and everyone knows that SF is not always the most practical organization), a high cost of manufacturing IR goggles (unlikely, since SF was capable of equipping its forces with a weapon that can essentially only be used in doors and offers only minor advances over other models, which were more versatile), or a lack of technological ability (to make lightweight, reliable goggles for visual aid during low-light scenarios). Also note that the IR goggles (or, even, an IR sight) would offer significant advantages over the flashlight. There are no other reasons to use flashlights on weapons, as seen. There should not be a need for them.
And as I told you earlier, I am writting up information involving a combat helmet that includes IR, UV, NVG, and many other visual aid aspects that will assist the soldier. But since its not actually a picture, and because I have yet to even display the stats for the weapon, your place for criticizing its capabilities is absurd.

Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

I was not criticizing your future design of the goggles, I was criticizing your design of the phasers, and of the phaser designs actually shown on the show and in the movies. If IR goggles and other systems are available, why would a flashlight be necessary?

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Master of Ossus wrote:I was not criticizing your future design of the goggles, I was criticizing your design of the phasers, and of the phaser designs actually shown on the show and in the movies. If IR goggles and other systems are available, why would a flashlight be necessary?
Emergency use. Something built in that is relatively small and does not affect the overall use of the weapon. Though I am tempted to make it under the barrel. Though its for a different reason. The flashlight would be most useful with the Iron Sites version of the Carbine, but there is no flashlight in it. So either the flashlight goes (which means a simple edit to the picture itself) or I design something under the barel.

Believe it or not I do appreciate comments on the design, its been ever evolving. Comments from Howedar and Shrike (someone from SB.com) convinced me to remove the clip. And truth be told, I was not the one to place the Flashlight where it currently is (Thank Chris O'Farrell on that one).

Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

I agree that some emergency use method is necessary. But if the flashlight is over the barrel, why not just make it an IR sight? Aren't those fairly reliable, also?

Incidentally, iron sights are best placed over the barrel (for obvious reasons) and so a flashlight would best be slung under the barrel if you are going for something that really will operate in almost all conditions, short of submerged.

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Master of Ossus wrote:I agree that some emergency use method is necessary. But if the flashlight is over the barrel, why not just make it an IR sight? Aren't those fairly reliable, also?

Incidentally, iron sights are best placed over the barrel (for obvious reasons) and so a flashlight would best be slung under the barrel if you are going for something that really will operate in almost all conditions, short of submerged.
Speaking off, in the weapons description I am changing the top thing from a combo targeting sensor array/flashlight into a targeting sensor array/scope. So it would include such things as IR sights, UV sights, NVG, etc... I am also going to include the feature so that the soldier can (using the visor in the helmet) either see through the scope of the rifle (useful at long range) or merely see the target point that the rifle is aimed at (useful at close range).

Course this will never make it into trek :x , but this is my ideal version of a phaser carbine anyway. :D

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

*speaking of* (mutters about no edit feature)

Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

[quote="Alyeska"]

It was an attempt at fixing perceived problems in the basic design. The clip itself was photoshopped in to examine the possiblity of having an external clip, but it was eventually done away with. The flashlight was left up in with the targeting array because there is nothing wrong with having it there (incidently the FN P90 has its flashlight up top with the scope).

[/quote

You much better off with the flashlight forward, and under the barrel. Your rifle certainly should allow for that. It reduces glare, allows for its use with Iron sights, which is when you would want it the most, and keeps the beam tighter on were your gun is actually aimed.

The P-90 had a lot of compromises made in its design. It's not meant to be a front line weapon, simply to give rear area troops something small that can punch through body armor. The chances of the scope or flashlight even being issued in this role are quite slim. Really they were an after thought, when several police and Special Forces units took interest in it.

Then they all discarded it because of constant magazine jams, but that’s another story..
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Master of Ossus wrote:I was not criticizing your future design of the goggles, I was criticizing your design of the phasers, and of the phaser designs actually shown on the show and in the movies. If IR goggles and other systems are available, why would a flashlight be necessary?
Neither imagine intensification or passive infrared gear give much detail. You'd be hard pressed to tell one from the other with image intensification, and its quite impossible with Thermal. Normal light is still quite useful for identifying people and things. Active infrared is okay for such tasks, but not very practical.

Dispite the cheapness and wide spread usage of night vision gear, almost all hand guns and submachine guns, along with many combat rifles, still come with mountings for flash lights.

Unless the Federation starts deploying combat cybrogs with artificial eyes, there still going to have the same eyeball we have today, and thus light will still be useful in many situations.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

But IR won't give your position away. You have nightshift, and someone's got a flashlight on, you'll see it, especially if he's trying to sneak into whatever facility you're guarding.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Darth Yoshi wrote:But IR won't give your position away. You have nightshift, and someone's got a flashlight on, you'll see it, especially if he's trying to sneak into whatever facility you're guarding.
You have to look at the potential gains and losses with each method. As common as you might see flashlights on SMGs and Carbines in real life, they aren't used THAT often.

Vertigo1
Defender of the Night

Post by Vertigo1 »

XaLEv wrote:What do I need to view this thing with?
Any recent version of Internet Explorer will do. Damn AOL and their proprietary filetypes!
"I once asked Rebecca to sing Happy Birthday to me during sex. That was funny, especially since I timed my thrusts to sync up with the words. And yes, it was my birthday." - Darth Wong

Leader of the SD.Net Gargoyle Clan | Spacebattles Firstone | Twitter
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Darth Yoshi wrote:But IR won't give your position away. You have nightshift, and someone's got a flashlight on, you'll see it, especially if he's trying to sneak into whatever facility you're guarding.
Actually, many infrared systems do give away your location to other Infrared systems. That was the primary advantage that Soviet-equipped snipers had during the Vietnam conflict. Their sights did not reveal their own presence to other similar systems. Note that Infrared equipment must be specifically designed so as not to give away one's location in order to have this feature function properly.

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Just a quick update on the pictures.

Added a trigger guard on both weapons and added the TA/F eject button and forward iron sites on the rifle.

http://community.webshots.com/storage/1 ... KzI_ph.jpg

http://community.webshots.com/storage/1 ... Uaz_ph.jpg

If you have trouble viewing the pictures, or get a forbidden and don't have access, cut and paste and leave out the http:// in the URL box.

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Looks cool- the first one should be designated a carbine purely because of barrel length- although I don't think the length of the barrel applies to the effectiveness of energy weapons; but it would be logical to retain old terminology.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Vympel wrote:Looks cool- the first one should be designated a carbine purely because of barrel length- although I don't think the length of the barrel applies to the effectiveness of energy weapons; but it would be logical to retain old terminology.
Agreed. I shall eventually fix the text, but the first picture is that of a Carbine.

SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

Actually, many infrared systems do give away your location to other Infrared systems.
Of course, this shouldn't be a big concern to people who use guns that create a really big, bright stream of energy that points right to their location.

Looking good, Alyeska. Although I note that in the carbine picture, you still have a label for the power cell. Have you just not fixed that yet, or do you intend for the power cell to be built right into the handgrip?

Personally, I think that if you make the power cell similar to an M-4 clip, you should make it straight, and very short... probably extending out about half as far as the first version did. And, of course, there should be a tiny power indicator bar built into the side, situated so that it can only be seen from behind (so your target can't see if you're almost out of ammo), similar to the little bars they have on Duracell batteries.
The Great and Malignant