Valkyrie

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Hotfoot

Re: Valkyrie

Post by Hotfoot »

Pulp Hero wrote:(NOT FILM RELATED) Something that annoyed the ever living shit out of me, was talking to my friend's mom who had seen it, and she was convinced that Hitler really had been killed by the bomb because, "You never see him, you just hear a voice and that could have faked." She honestly believes that during the rest of the war no one actually saw Hitler after the bomb plot. When I tried to explain that he killed himself (or if you want to believe a less lame conspiracy, the Russian Army killed him) and his body was captured by the Russians in 1945, she asked, "Well, did they do a DNA test?" GOD FUCKING DAMMIT, people watch too much fucking CSI! Does she think Soviet infantry carried MK.1 DNA testing machines into battle in 19-fucking-45?
:banghead:

There are photos of Hitler after the bomb plot, several, in fact. There are recordings, audio and visual. Fuck, there are photos of him by the motherfucking wreckage!

Your friend's mom is a fool.
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
SilCore Wiki! Come take a look!
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

One better: There was an entire bunker full of witnesses which saw him in the last days before he shot himself.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

charlemagne wrote:
Fire Fly wrote:The sheer elaborateness and scale of the conspiracy makes the failure all the more tragic; they were so close.
I haven't seen this one yet, but yeah, even quite dry "dramatic re-enactments" in history programs capture this. It is a really strong story, I don't think 'knowing how it ends' would prevent one from being drawn in.
Exactly.
I don't expect an SFX extravaganza (despite the TV ads) or a suspenseful 'what happens in the end' thriller out of this type of movie.

If the story and characters are skillfully written, acted, and directed, then it succeeds in being entertaining despite the viewer knowing the overall end.

Shit, I don't recall many people complaining about Enemy at the Gates being boring or predictable despite any WW2 buff worth his salt knowing Zaitsev shot Konig in the end.
"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."- General Sir Charles Napier

Oderint dum metuant
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Glocksman wrote: Shit, I don't recall many people complaining about Enemy at the Gates being boring or predictable despite any WW2 buff worth his salt knowing Zaitsev shot Konig in the end.
Actually, any WW2 buff worth his salt knows there is no evidence for Konig actually existing, and even Zaitsev mentioned someone else entirely in his memoirs (who also probably never existed)

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Post by Adrian Laguna »

There's lots of movies where you can figure out the whole plot at the start. My sister and I predicted the entirety of Seven Pounds about twenty minutes in, and that did not lessen the impact of the climax at all. If a movie truly draws you in, you'll be too busy watching the action unfold to remember that you know what's coming.
thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

PeZook wrote:
Glocksman wrote: Shit, I don't recall many people complaining about Enemy at the Gates being boring or predictable despite any WW2 buff worth his salt knowing Zaitsev shot Konig in the end.
Actually, any WW2 buff worth his salt knows there is no evidence for Konig actually existing, and even Zaitsev mentioned someone else entirely in his memoirs (who also probably never existed)
Pretty sure he describes killing Konig in detail - Alan Clark quotes the passage in full in Barbarossa, IIRC.
I love the smell of September in the morning. Once we got off at Richmond, walked up to the 'G, and there was no game on. Not one footballer in sight. But that cut grass smell, spring rain...it smelt like victory.

Dynamic. When [Kuznetsov] decided he was going to make a difference, he did it...Like Ovechkin...then you find out - he's with Washington too? You're kidding.
- Ron Wilson
Pulp Hero
Jedi Master

Post by Pulp Hero »

Actually I think that we as the audience know Hitler lives gives the final act a lot of its tension, because it is more a matter of "how long will the coup last?" than "will it succeed?"
I can never love you because I'm just thirty squirrels in a mansuit."

"Ah, good ol' Popeye. Punching ghosts until they explode."[/b]-Internet Webguy

"It was cut because an Army Ordnance panel determined that a weapon that kills an enemy soldier 10 times before he hits the ground was a waste of resources, so they scaled it back to only kill him 3 times."-Anon, on the cancellation of the Army's multi-kill vehicle.
Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Post by Adrian Laguna »

Pulp Hero wrote:Actually I think that we as the audience know Hitler lives gives the final act a lot of its tension, because it is more a matter of "how long will the coup last?" than "will it succeed?"
That's a great point. I actually didn't know the coup had been that close to success. I also did not know how many of the conspirators had managed to escape (turns out none did after the attempt). That did make the story pretty tense.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

thejester wrote:
PeZook wrote:
Pretty sure he describes killing Konig in detail - Alan Clark quotes the passage in full in Barbarossa, IIRC.
And there is every reason to suggest he made the whole thing up, considering there never existed a König/Torvald and if the germans had wanted to send a sniper after him, guys like Friedrich Pein, Matthäus Hetzenauer or Bruno Sutkus would have been way better choices.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

PeZook wrote:
That's the difference between a history 'buff' such as myself who read the story and had no reason to disbelieve Zaitsev, and someone who digs deeper into it such as yourself.
For me, WW2 history is an interesting read but doesn't mean that much on a personal scale, as all of my family who fought in the war survived it and prospered after the war, while that isn't true of most Poles, Russians, Germans, or other Europeans.

This is one of the reasons why I like the non-fiction sections of this BBS.
Without threads such as this, I probably would never have learned of this Zaitsev controversy due to serious WW2 history books being too obscure to merit notice here outside of academia.
"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."- General Sir Charles Napier

Oderint dum metuant
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

All of this would sound a lot better if the controversy wasn't described on Wikipedia :D

Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

PeZook wrote:All of this would sound a lot better if the controversy wasn't described on Wikipedia :D
True.
When I thought of famous recent movie about WW2, it came to mind and I wasn't aware of the controversy. :oops:

Oderint dum metuant
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Just got back from seeing it now as it's opened in the UK quite a bit later than other places (got back in time to catch Cruise on Friday Night With Jonathan Ross to boot), and I found it great drama. I really did feel for the people involved in the failure, even if some may not have been as honest about their intentions as cinema may depict (the news had a little bit on Stauffenberg still being an anti-semite etc.). All in all, Singer managed to bring together one top notch cast and it all fell into place.

Apart from the coup, that is. And it makes me wonder how history would've been written had it succeeded. Knowing how history did unfold didn't dampen the impact nor the tension in the least. With this and Defiance, it's nice to see we can still make interesting and gripping WWII films.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Regarding Stauffenberg being an anti-semite, he did believe that the jews were a detriment, but he never believed in using any kind of violence against them. In that regard, he is the typical aristocrat you can find in every european country at that time.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

Thanas wrote:And there is every reason to suggest he made the whole thing up, considering there never existed a König/Torvald and if the germans had wanted to send a sniper after him, guys like Friedrich Pein, Matthäus Hetzenauer or Bruno Sutkus would have been way better choices.
Er...I know? I was just suggesting that Konig was indeed mentioned in Zaitsev's memoirs, though my copy of Barbarossa is in a box somewhere so I can't check.
Just got back from seeing it now as it's opened in the UK quite a bit later than other places (got back in time to catch Cruise on Friday Night With Jonathan Ross to boot), and I found it great drama. I really did feel for the people involved in the failure, even if some may not have been as honest about their intentions as cinema may depict (the news had a little bit on Stauffenberg still being an anti-semite etc.). All in all, Singer managed to bring together one top notch cast and it all fell into place.
That's my major problem with it - I haven't read that deeply into the subject but my basic understanding is that the office corp attempted to bump Hitler off not because of the Holocaust or similar war crimes but because he was losing.
I love the smell of September in the morning. Once we got off at Richmond, walked up to the 'G, and there was no game on. Not one footballer in sight. But that cut grass smell, spring rain...it smelt like victory.

Dynamic. When [Kuznetsov] decided he was going to make a difference, he did it...Like Ovechkin...then you find out - he's with Washington too? You're kidding.
- Ron Wilson