Let's Play X-COM: UFO Defense!

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Re: Let's Play X-COM: UFO Defense!

Post by weemadando »

Oh crap. 9 casualties? That's not good. We obviously ran into some stiffer resistance.
Karza
Jedi Knight

Post by Karza »

Let me guess, a sectoid-crewed harvester? Ran into a rash of those in my own game at some point, with similar results. Bleeding psionics make the waiting tactics unworkable, and the UFO floorplan basically ensures casualties on entry.
"Death before dishonour" they say, but how much dishonour are we talking about exactly? I mean, I can handle a lot. I could fellate a smurf if the alternative was death.
- Dylan Moran
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

Hawkwings wrote:Oh noes, does this mean my tank is trashed again?
Actually, our HWP is out of action, because of a lack of rockets. Instead, we went in with a pure infantry force.
Let me guess, a sectoid-crewed harvester?
Floaters, actually. Floaters with grenades.
X-COM: Defending Earth by blasting the shit out of it.

Writers are people, and people are stupid. So, a large chunk of them have the IQ of beach pebbles. ~fgalkin

You're complaining that the story isn't the kind you like. That's like me bitching about the lack of ninjas in Robin Hood. ~CaptainChewbacca
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Peptuck wrote: Floaters, actually. Floaters with grenades.
You lost nine men to effin' Floaters?

Somebody's up for some arco-flagellation for this grave example of incompetence in dealing with Xeno scum.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

PeZook wrote:
Peptuck wrote: Floaters, actually. Floaters with grenades.
You lost nine men to effin' Floaters?

Somebody's up for some arco-flagellation for this grave example of incompetence in dealing with Xeno scum.
Not my fault that the troops can't hit shit and the Floaters' reaction fire would make Simo Hayha envious.

The entire battle consisted of X-COM shooting at Floaters and missing 90% of the time, and the Floaters' reaction fire killing the shooters. Our shitty aim has caught up with us. :cry:

Oh, and like three guys died of smoke inhalation. Pussies.

Writers are people, and people are stupid. So, a large chunk of them have the IQ of beach pebbles. ~fgalkin

You're complaining that the story isn't the kind you like. That's like me bitching about the lack of ninjas in Robin Hood. ~CaptainChewbacca
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Just buy a reserve cannon tank and use it for spotting next time! Exploit this strange reality for our advantage, yo! :)

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

PeZook wrote:Just buy a reserve cannon tank and use it for spotting next time! Exploit this strange reality for our advantage, yo! :)
Probably just going to build Laser Tanks on demand, and keep Rocket Tanks in reserve for property destruction. The majority of our losses could have been mitigated by armor support; a lot of the Floaters were sniping out of buildings, though the rest were inside the UFO, where they reaction-fired the shit out of us and dudes were dropping left and right to smoke inhalation.

The Floaters really caught us with our pants down on this run.

Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

PeZook wrote:You lost nine men to effin' Floaters?
The interior layout of Harvesters plays to the strength of Floaters, the big open well in the middle allows them to surprise you in annoying ways.

Still, 9 losses is carnage.
Peptuck wrote:Floaters, actually. Floaters with grenades.
On my current game ([shameless pimp]which I'm doing a Lets Play of on the escapist forum, in fact[/shameless pimp]) a floater managed to blow itself up with a grenade. (That was on the luckiest terror mission ever as well, on one Alien turn a Reaper ran right up next to one of my guys but didn't have enough AP left to attack, and an X-Com agent ran around a corner face to face with a floater that couldn't/didn't react.)
Acidburns
Padawan Learner

Post by Acidburns »

My terror from the deep game has been going swimmingly until this current terror mission where I've ran into a psionic brick wall. I've discovered some of my best soldiers (75 TU, etc) are MC fodder. I lost a rookie to MC before I even got out the sub & 2 of my best have panicked and went charging ahead. The enemy has terror drones and Tasoths, and the Gauss weapons don't cut it against them.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Acidburns wrote:My terror from the deep game has been going swimmingly until this current terror mission where I've ran into a psionic brick wall. I've discovered some of my best soldiers (75 TU, etc) are MC fodder. I lost a rookie to MC before I even got out the sub & 2 of my best have panicked and went charging ahead. The enemy has terror drones and Tasoths, and the Gauss weapons don't cut it against them.
If you know who's vulnerable to Psionics, deploy them with no equipment and leave them in the ship. If they are still wont to rush off into danger, stun them. Puts you a few men down, but that's better than having them go and die for no reason.

(Personally, I turn Psi/MC off, It basically breaks the spirit of the game.)
Acidburns
Padawan Learner

Post by Acidburns »

Yeah, I've been stunning the poor bastards so far. Fortunately I'm researching the MC Lab already so I can start screening for MC ability. The MC really makes you push forward fast to kill the damn alien leaders asap, which is difficult on locations like ships that are so enclosed.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Noooo mmoooore clifffhaaangers!

*glares at Pezook*
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

White Haven wrote:Noooo mmoooore clifffhaaangers!

*glares at Pezook*
What? :?:

White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

The knowledge that you've gotten a bunch of us killed is gnawing at me, man. I've got to know. I've got to know!
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

White Haven wrote:The knowledge that you've gotten a bunch of us killed is gnawing at me, man. I've got to know. I've got to know!
Me? What did I have to do with it?

White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

...Had a name that starts with the same letter as the OP. That's something akin to Original Sin when I'm posting at work between customers. :oops:

Ohma
Jedi Knight

Post by Ohma »

Yeah, who's dead?!

Please tell me I didn't die rounding a corner and getting three heavy plasma blasts to the face. :(
Oh, Mister Darcy! <3
We're ALL Devo!
GALE-Force: Guardians of Space!
"Rarr! Rargharghiss!" -Gorn
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

Ohma wrote:Yeah, who's dead?!
Well, I can say that Stark survived. :P
Please tell me I didn't die rounding a corner and getting three heavy plasma blasts to the face. :(
.....no comment.

This is gonna take a bit. I didn't get very many good screenshots (combat was hectic and I kept forgetting to take shots) so I'm going to do something different for the next post. I've also got to figure out who died when; with fourteen guys running around, keeping track of all of you and when you died is a chore that is not helped by the fact that corpses aren't labeled.

Maxentius
Padawan Learner

Post by Maxentius »

With so many casualties I'll throw my name in to be tossed into the meat grinder.
Rome is an eternal thought in the mind of God... If there were no Rome, I'd dream of her.
--Marcus Licinius Crassus, Spartacus.

White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

If Haven falls, I trust his performance and exalted rank have earned him entry into the Bionic Man program, by which a souless automaton will wear his face and think his thoughts in a matrix of silicon and steel, killing and killing again to safeguard the homeworld he no longer feels a true connection with?

Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

I'm just hoping that if I die one of my many identically named siblings and extended family members will sign on to avenge me.
Decue
Padawan Learner

Post by Decue »

Vendetta wrote:I'm just hoping that if I die one of my many identically named siblings and extended family members will sign on to avenge me.
Same here, Decue the Younger will avenge me! And Decue the Even Younger if he is to weak to carry out his task (and avenge his slighty older sibling). Earth needs random destruction if we shall win over the marsians.
Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

I demand an immediate activation of the Revenant Hero project. Okay, sure, that's a reference that I'm guessing about one person will get but it's a good name regardless.

I suggest the commanding officer for this mission be shot. If he was freemed by the aliens, find his ashes and shoot them.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

I could dig the Revenant Hero project...I'm generally against male spandex, but they had a decent color cheme and cool helmets.

Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Well, I'm sure that Crey Corporation can be inspired to assist us. Just need to give them DNA and shiny stuff and we can all welcome our spandex-clad overlords.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.