2008 NFL Season Thread- The Road to Super Bowl XLIII

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Re: 2008 NFL Season Thread- The Road to Super Bowl XLIII

Post by Dark Flame »

So I'm watching ESPN. Apparently Mark Sanchez is going into the draft, and Bradford and Tebow are staying. I must say, I was surprised about Bradford.
"Have you ever been fucked in the ass? because if you have you will understand why we have that philosophy"
- Alyrium Denryle, on HAB's policy of "Too much is almost enough"

"The jacketed ones are, but we're talking carefully-placed shits here. "-out of context, by Stuart
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Dark Flame wrote:So I'm watching ESPN. Apparently Mark Sanchez is going into the draft, and Bradford and Tebow are staying. I must say, I was surprised about Bradford.
Tebow and Bradford don't want to end up with the Lions. :lol:
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Bradford is possibly the weakest Heisman candidate I can think of in recent memory, and we all know the knocks against Tebow's game transitioning to the NFL. Still, what are the odds that Sanchez saw Tebow and Bradford hold out, and decided that his own value in this draft was much higher as a result? By going now it could be the difference between first and second round, or perhaps a digit on the overall value of his contract?
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Darth Fanboy wrote:Bradford is possibly the weakest Heisman candidate I can think of in recent memory, and we all know the knocks against Tebow's game transitioning to the NFL. Still, what are the odds that Sanchez saw Tebow and Bradford hold out, and decided that his own value in this draft was much higher as a result? By going now it could be the difference between first and second round, or perhaps a digit on the overall value of his contract?
Oh I'm sure that he saw Bradford hold off and decided to jump. Tebow will have huge transition problems and honestly would probably make a halfway decent option back for an offense that employs the single wing (or Wildcat whatever folks are calling it these days) but he won't be a straight up passer in the NFL. Bradford and Sanchez are better pocket passers and Bradford just doens't impress me in any way shape or form with his decision making even if his accuracy is damn fine. Sanchez strikes me as the kind of guys who could wind up going to a place like SanFran and making an impact quickly.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Cos Dashit
Jedi Knight

Post by Cos Dashit »

3 - 1 this week, which puts me at 4 - 4 overall in the postseason. I'll be satisfied if I get the remaining picks right.

BAL @ PIT
PHI @ ARI
Please forgive any idiotic comments, stupid observations, or dumb questions in above post, for I am but a college student with little real world experience.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

And apparently LT is up on the trade block. Who didn't see that coming?
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Did anyone see the Pro Bowl jerseys this year? Uglier than usual.

Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

weemadando wrote:And apparently LT is up on the trade block. Who didn't see that coming?
I can't believe they'd be so stupid. Who in his right mind would trade anything of value for a 30-year old running back? Whatever they got in return, plus cap space (which they don't really need) wouldn't be enough to find a decent replacement. But then, these ARE the same nitwits who dumped Rodney Harrison and Junior Seau five years ago.

:banghead:
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

That looks like something a Pimp in the Jetsons would wear.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

So, the three big names so far... Owens, LT and Farve, that are undecided...

Farve will retire.

LT to the Broncos.

Owens to the Patriots.

Thoughts?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

havokeff wrote:So, the three big names so far... Owens, LT and Farve, that are undecided...

Farve will retire.

LT to the Broncos.

Owens to the Patriots.

Thoughts?
There's no fucking way the Chargers would trade Tomlinson to a division rival. A.J. Smith is stupid, but not that stupid. I hope.
:shock:
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

LT to Pittsburgh, assuming Pittsburgh does not win the Super Bowl. Between him and Willie Parker they might be able to get in a full season plus postseason where at least one of them is healthy. Hah, I don't think that at all, i'm just saying it to get Hav.

Favre won't retire I think, too much ego right now and that's enhanced considering how much better the Jets were as opposed to the Packers. I would hope San Diego keeps LT out of loyalty, respect, and because the downside to giving him to another contending team is way too great. Owens will stay a Cowboy because Jurrah Jones thinks he will make it work. And really, what's bad for the Cowboys is good for me, so I hope he does stay.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

I don't agree with either of your trades. I don't think the Chargers would be foolish enough to trade Tomlinson to a division rival, and although Shanahan's system is gone, Denver has outstanding success with unknown backs. Even the depleted Tomlinson would give the Broncos a scary ground game. Obviously, San Diego doesn't want that.

And, aside from Owens's character issues, I don't think New England would want him. He would command a high salary, which New England can't spring if they're paying Cassel, Brady, and Moss. And, New England already has a very Owens-type receiver in Randy Moss. Putting two receivers who are deep threats as starters makes a passing game too one-dimensional. For instance, Philadelphia has the opposite problem in not having a deep threat, and that makes their passing game often falter. And there's no way you pay Pro Bowl money for a slot receiver. If I were New England, I would stick with Moss, Welker, and Gaffney, and let Owens go somewhere like Chicago or something.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Didn't say anything about trades. I don't think anyone is going to trade for LT and he will be released. Then he will go where he feels like, and I'm sure he still wants to play the Raiders twice a year, but KC sucks waaaay to much. :P

Same with Owens. No trade for a 34 year old receiver, so he will be released. He wants a ring and will probably take a pay cut to get one, and with T.O., Moss, Welker, Maroney and Brady, who should be back next year... are you fucking kidding me? Aside from that, they can spend their entire off season effort on defense to get even better.

The only other team I could see T.O. going to would be Indy. Manning would love to have him as a player and I'm sure could handle him as a player. And there, T.O. is NOT going to be complaining about not getting the ball enough.

And Moss has been a model citizen since getting out Minnesota.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Darth Fanboy wrote:LT to Pittsburgh, assuming Pittsburgh does not win the Super Bowl. Between him and Willie Parker they might be able to get in a full season plus postseason where at least one of them is healthy. Hah, I don't think that at all, i'm just saying it to get Hav.
Then he can die in nuclear fire just like the rest of them. :P

Favre won't retire I think, too much ego right now and that's enhanced considering how much better the Jets were as opposed to the Packers. I would hope San Diego keeps LT out of loyalty, respect, and because the downside to giving him to another contending team is way too great. Owens will stay a Cowboy because Jurrah Jones thinks he will make it work. And really, what's bad for the Cowboys is good for me, so I hope he does stay.
Negative on all three of those.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Yeah, unfortunately for LT and the team, he's got a huge contract. Who wants to inherit that? Probably, San Diego dumps him and takes the cap hit.

He would be fucking scary on Denver though. Straight-line speed has never been his forte but he wouldn't need that in Denver -- he's always been a downhill runner (he makes modest cuts, jinks and jukes -- but at full speed, has his whole career) but can also turn a dime when he needs to. Probably the single best move in his repertoire is bouncing laterally and immediately angling up-field, usually breaking an arm tackle in the process.

edit: Obviously, the Chargers problem right now is a lot of contracts coming up, like Sproles and Malcolm Floyd (another up-and-coming WR, and a tall body like Vincent Jackson. Probably he'll take Chambers' place since he's getting up there in years too) and LT at 30 is obviously... not going to keep up forever. Who knows, he may age like Curtis Martin, we can't know that but anyway...

How about this: keep LT, franchise tag Sproles and use Sproles as trade-bait? It's not the worst idea in the world, although it does leave a question mark at running back in the short, (next season: is LT still viable?) and intermediate time frames. (2-5 years, when he ISN'T any longer a top-tier back, how do we replace him?) The one positive we can count strongly: the passing game is on track, so LT doesn't have to be the beast of MVP-past.

edit2: The viability of franchise-tag / trade Sproles and keep LT may be incumbent on Tomlinson restructuring his contract. I'm a fan of this provided we get something decent out of such a trade, like a safety, defensive end, fullback or offensive linemen. Everything else is about good enough.
thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

Well, my heart's with the Cardinals - Benny Graham and his massive boot were a fixture with the Cats for the better part of ten years, and he was a solid player who was always asked to deliver more than he could in the post (pre?) Ablett era. He'll only touch the ball like ten times tomorrow but I hope he can win something, finally, after Geelong finally did in 07.
I love the smell of September in the morning. Once we got off at Richmond, walked up to the 'G, and there was no game on. Not one footballer in sight. But that cut grass smell, spring rain...it smelt like victory.

Dynamic. When [Kuznetsov] decided he was going to make a difference, he did it...Like Ovechkin...then you find out - he's with Washington too? You're kidding.
- Ron Wilson
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Wow. Gruden got canned. Along with Bruce Allen. Link
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

havokeff wrote:Wow. Gruden got canned. Along with Bruce Allen. Link
With Cowher out of the picture I think Gruden just became the biggest name o the Coaches market and that is with Shanahan still out there.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Super. Fire the winningest coach in franchise history. Brilliant move.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Matt Cassel has got to be begging the Pats to put the franchise tab on him. Seriously - Roethlisberger, Rivers and Eli are all up for new contracts and none of those are going to be small. Cassel wants a percentage of that average.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

The Chargers' owner, Dean Spanos just entered the fray, trying to put a lid on all the trade/cut rumors. Probably because he realizes that dumping another great player and getting nothing in return would be the last straw with fans. The move makes no sense for the team, would be bad PR and would do little for the team financially. They could free up more cap space by getting rid of the mediocre players Smith signed to fat contracts. Erik Wilhelm and Clinton Hart suck beyond belief and would be no great loss if they were cut. Hell, I'd love to see them play for Denver or Oakland.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Flagg wrote:

I think they plan to nuke the roster and start all over. There's a lot of dead wood on that team that needs to be chopped.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Elfdart wrote:
Flagg wrote:

I think they plan to nuke the roster and start all over. There's a lot of dead wood on that team that needs to be chopped.
True. There are alot of older players ready to be shuffled off to the Raiders aka the Oakland Retirement Home.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Elfdart wrote:The Chargers' owner, Dean Spanos just entered the fray, trying to put a lid on all the trade/cut rumors. Probably because he realizes that dumping another great player and getting nothing in return would be the last straw with fans. The move makes no sense for the team, would be bad PR and would do little for the team financially. They could free up more cap space by getting rid of the mediocre players Smith signed to fat contracts. Erik Wilhelm and Clinton Hart suck beyond belief and would be no great loss if they were cut. Hell, I'd love to see them play for Denver or Oakland.
I was reading some of the stuff about LDT on ESPN.com and got to the part about his injuries.
After the Broncos game, the Chargers announced that Tomlinson had a strained groin. Reports surfaced the day of the playoff game against the Colts that Tomlinson had a detached tendon that connects one of his groin muscles to his pubic bone.
No wonder he wasn't playing. That just sounds horribly painful.

I think he was supposed to have a toe injury as well but that groin injury description just made me grimace.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.