BSG 4.5: Sometimes a Great Notion - Place your bets....

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Bilbo
Jedi Master

Re: BSG 4.5: Sometimes a Great Notion - Place your bets....

Post by Bilbo »

I have missed a pretty good number of episodes but I noticed something rather small that I was wondering about. Her name escapes me but the Indian woman who found she is a Cylon. Since she has learned that fact she seems to be revelling in that fact that she is a Cylon and using it to be a real prick. When she got caught with the Chief and his wife though he was having an affair she just sat there with her drink with a near smirk on her face. Then when everyone learned she was a Cylon she really enjoyed telling the President that she could basically "fuck off" and she did not have to listen to her anymore.

Is this her new personality or did I just hit two odd momemts?
I KILL YOU!!!
apocolypse
Jedi Knight

Post by apocolypse »

No, you nailed it. She's become a bit of a bitch since learning she's a skinjob. She wasn't too bad this ep though.
Bilbo
Jedi Master

Post by Bilbo »

apocolypse wrote:No, you nailed it. She's become a bit of a bitch since learning she's a skinjob. She wasn't too bad this ep though.

Yeah you could say that. Just watched the espisode where she murdered the Chief's wife so as to keep their Cylon secret. Though I do have lessened sympathy for the wife since she at least looked like she was planning on killing herself and her son.

So there are two hybrid children that we know of in the fleet?
I KILL YOU!!!
CaptJodan
Jedi Council Member

Post by CaptJodan »

Bilbo wrote:
apocolypse wrote:No, you nailed it. She's become a bit of a bitch since learning she's a skinjob. She wasn't too bad this ep though.

Yeah you could say that. Just watched the espisode where she murdered the Chief's wife so as to keep their Cylon secret. Though I do have lessened sympathy for the wife since she at least looked like she was planning on killing herself and her son.

So there are two hybrid children that we know of in the fleet?
And, apparently, a third fully Cylon fetus. I don't think they really have enough time to deal with the Caprica/Tigh lovechild, at least as a born entity.
It's Jodan, not Jordan. If you can't quote it right, I will mock you.
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

And, apparently, a third fully Cylon fetus. I don't think they really have enough time to deal with the Caprica/Tigh lovechild, at least as a born entity
Next episode might have some stuff on that topic

As for Tori? I am hoping for the most gruesomely spectacular death possible for that miserable murdering bitch :twisted:
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Bilbo
Jedi Master

Post by Bilbo »

Burak Gazan wrote:
And, apparently, a third fully Cylon fetus. I don't think they really have enough time to deal with the Caprica/Tigh lovechild, at least as a born entity
Next episode might have some stuff on that topic

As for Tori? I am hoping for the most gruesomely spectacular death possible for that miserable murdering bitch :twisted:
Yes I agree, she needs to burn. One thing I found interesting from when she killed the Chief's wife. She has the Cylon superior strength. Did it only just kick in when they realized they were Cylons? Just another item that will probably never be explained.
I KILL YOU!!!
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Bilbo wrote: Yes I agree, she needs to burn. One thing I found interesting from when she killed the Chief's wife. She has the Cylon superior strength. Did it only just kick in when they realized they were Cylons? Just another item that will probably never be explained.
It was there. If they don't know about it they would never try to use it in a situation that might require it. The only possible on screen exception that I'm aware of being Tyrol when he was trying to put the blackbird frame together. Tyrol's the proof that they had the anatomical differences whether they realized it or not. At the time he was exposed to vacuum with Cally, she was in sick bay for like...days longer than he was.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Burak Gazan wrote:As for Tori? I am hoping for the most gruesomely spectacular death possible for that miserable murdering bitch :twisted:
Aye, preferrably at Tyrol's hands, because it's a question of when, not if he finds out her role in Cally's death, hopefully.... :twisted:
Braedley
Jedi Council Member

Post by Braedley »

Okay, so that was one mind frak after another.

Dee? Why'd it have to be Dee?

And Ellen as the fifth actually makes some sense. When D'Anna goes up to one of the five in the temple, she says something to the effect of "I'm so sorry, I had no idea," indicating that she's remorseful for the loss of Ellen (as in she's either saying sorry to Ellen or Saul).
My brother and sister-in-law: "Do you know where milk comes from?"
My niece: "Yeah, from the fridge!"
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Gaidin wrote:It was there. If they don't know about it they would never try to use it in a situation that might require it. The only possible on screen exception that I'm aware of being Tyrol when he was trying to put the blackbird frame together. Tyrol's the proof that they had the anatomical differences whether they realized it or not. At the time he was exposed to vacuum with Cally, she was in sick bay for like...days longer than he was.
Tyrol has always been stronger than he looks. Remember when he and Adama boxed? Despite Adama being better than Lee and remarkably strong, Tyrol just takes the hits and eventually beats Adama into mince. Obviously Helo once overpowered Tyrol quite effortlessly, but he's Helo.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Ford Prefect wrote: Tyrol has always been stronger than he looks. Remember when he and Adama boxed? Despite Adama being better than Lee and remarkably strong, Tyrol just takes the hits and eventually beats Adama into mince. Obviously Helo once overpowered Tyrol quite effortlessly, but he's Helo.
Yea I'll grant that as far as strength goes I'm running on theory here. To confirm it we'd need one of them to consciously try to do some crazy shit that a skin job could do but a human would either severely struggle through or not be able to do at all. But then it's also a possibility that the skin jobs may be built around what could be their 'roles'. The visions show Tigh has a definite history of being an administrative person, whether its through managing a bank or running a battlestar. We don't have anything to confirm for the other three, but the seven have always had their themes too.
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

Could Ellen actually be an old six? Thus faking us out. Tigh seemed to keep projecting Six as Ellen in earlier episodes...
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

FireNexus wrote:Could Ellen actually be an old six? Thus faking us out. Tigh seemed to keep projecting Six as Ellen in earlier episodes...
Hmm...yes......yes, I like that; it could work...
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Just watched it. A mix of disappointment and some small specks of hope for me.

It just seems that they've gone too far with the plots. Here's a few plot-holes that I want to see closed:

Magic super-tech artefacts (Temples etc that showed the path) which are there for... Well... They're just there...

Suddenly there's a 100% reliable Cylon test and Baltar isn't getting strung up again for lying about it all before?

Cylons being from Earth or somesuch - how does this fit the timeframe considering that Cylons weren't invented by the Colonies until very recently?

Magic memories - and the fact that they just happen to land in the exact spot where everyone used to live 2000 years ago?

Starbuck and her magic doppelganger self and ship.

I'm sure there's more. I just felt put out by this episode - I went in with low expectations and was still disappointed. There's just so much for them to tidy up and I am losing confidence by the episode.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Well ... why don't you wait for more episodes? We're one episode back in and you're going to complain about how not every single question has been answered yet? I hear there isn't allowed to be mystery in a TV show which thrives on mysteries.
What is Project Zohar?

MarshalFoch
Redshirt

Post by MarshalFoch »

Anyone else feel like they will end up on the Cylon homeworld? RDM stated it had to be friendly to human life and it would allow for an explanation of how the Colonies own creation predate them. It also fits in for a final showdown with Cavil.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Ford Prefect wrote:Well ... why don't you wait for more episodes? We're one episode back in and you're going to complain about how not every single question has been answered yet? I hear there isn't allowed to be mystery in a TV show which thrives on mysteries.
I have no problem with it not going: "Hai guyz, heres all dem anssers in wun episood." What concerns me is that we keep getting more and more questions and it just seems like there's less time for them to give a decent answer to all of them. So unless the 3 hour season finale is going to be 3 hours of tedious exposition and revelation and not, in fact 3 hours of awesome space battling and execution of Cylon prisoners, then they had better get moving. Because I just cannot see them having time to tie up all these loose ends, unless they have one super-duper plot closure device waiting in the wings that we haven't seen coming.

FYI - I'm not serious about the 3 hours of space battling and execution of Cylon prisoners. There's got to be at least 30 mins of Kara "Peroxide Grimdark" Thrace breaking down and shouting at people and no less than 15 cumulative minutes of inspirational speaking.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

It's been made fairly clear that answer will be revealed over the course of the next ten episodes, as opposed to waiting until the very end of the series to resolve them. I mean, the fact that they did actually tell us that Ellen is the Fifth Cylon in this episode shoudl be indicative that they aren't going to leave us hanging for half a series.
What is Project Zohar?

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Unless that's yet another bait and switch.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

It's not. Ron Moore's comments on it (the interview posted earlier in this thread) indicate that the reveal is just that: a reveal. I'm not silly enough to assume he's lying for the sake of misdirection.
What is Project Zohar?

Old Plympto
Jedi Master

Post by Old Plympto »

I seem to recall from the Battlestar Wiki that "Sometimes a Great Notion" was filmed with the rest of the first half of the season before the WGA shutdown. They've written it so that it could possibly serve as a series finale.
Battlestar Galactica wiki wrote: Katee Sackhoff noted that this episode could have served as the series finale had the WGA strike gone longer. However, the strike ended with sufficient time for production to resume; the previous episode was aired as the mid-season finale, with this episode airing in the first quarter of 2009.
It's also probable that they've reedited it from its original series finale story format so that it'd blend in with the rest of the season which was eventually filmed.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

LMSx wrote:Link
That planet is Earth? We’re not going to find out, “Oh, there’s this other Earth over here...” This is the only Earth we’ll see?

They have found Earth. This is the Earth that the 13th Colony discovered, they christened it Earth. They found Earth.
It kinda sucks that it's not enough to just watch the show to get this, you also have to read the blogs or articles or whatever.

Anyway I was thinking of the 13th tribe then as they are then, what if those Cylons where nuked by Humans? Humans nuke Cylons <2000 years> new Cylons nuke Human colonies.

Oh and the idea that radioactivity from nukes remaining after 2000 years, that really annoyed me and ruined the mood.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Bug-Eyed Earl
Jedi Master

Post by Bug-Eyed Earl »

FireNexus wrote:Could Ellen actually be an old six? Thus faking us out. Tigh seemed to keep projecting Six as Ellen in earlier episodes...
KAte Vernon is about 12 years older than Tricia Helfer. If Tigh and Ellen's relationship goes back at least ten years(and its safe to assume it does, since she remembers Lee as an adolescent-remember when she noted how much he'd grown?), both Adama and Tigh would have memories of her looking like 6, and thus, the question would have been raised the minute Shelley Godfrey was introduced to them in Season 1.
BotM Cybertronian
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

What if Ellen had reconstructive surgery as a side effect of 'injuries sustained' sometime in the past?

We are no where near any answers people. We have to wait and see yet.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Suddenly there's a 100% reliable Cylon test and Baltar isn't getting strung up again for lying about it all before?
A 100% reliable test *for bones*. Whatever test the Cylons used to identify those remains doesn't necessarily work on anything but bare bone, and cutting limbs off as a Cylon test seems a bit drastic.