2008 NFL Season Thread- The Road to Super Bowl XLIII

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Re: 2008 NFL Season Thread- The Road to Super Bowl XLIII

Post by Falkenhayn »

Rolle is doubtful, and Suggs is questionable for the playoff game.
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
"Mix'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights."
-Gen. George Thomas, Union Army of the Cumberland
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Falkenhayn wrote:Rolle is doubtful, and Suggs is questionable for the playoff game.
That definitely plays to Pittsburgh's favor.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Oh, is anyone experienced in shopping for NFL Jerseys? I stupidly told a friend I'd by an Eagles jersey if they won the Super Bowl, and as a preparatory step if hell freezes, I've done some price comparison, and found this. However, I've heard that fake jerseys are especially common on eBay. I'm somewhat reassured by it being an unloved throwback, and a replica, whereas I'd imagine most scammers would market authentics. But, does anyone have any idea if it is or not, and if it is, could someone point to somewhere more reputable?

I appreciate it.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I wouldn't pay $10 for that eyesore... I don't care if it was worn and used IN the Superbowl.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

havokeff wrote:I wouldn't pay $10 for that eyesore... I don't care if it was worn and used IN the Superbowl.
I'm actually rather fond of the Eagle throwbacks.
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Elfdart wrote:The Chargers' owner, Dean Spanos just entered the fray, trying to put a lid on all the trade/cut rumors. Probably because he realizes that dumping another great player and getting nothing in return would be the last straw with fans. The move makes no sense for the team, would be bad PR and would do little for the team financially. They could free up more cap space by getting rid of the mediocre players Smith signed to fat contracts. Matt // (not Erik) Wilhelm and Clinton Hart suck beyond belief and would be no great loss if they were cut. Hell, I'd love to see them play for Denver or Oakland.
Emphasis mine. Definitely though, he didn't even stay on the starting roster, and neither of our safety's ever gave me a warm and fuzzy. Hell, Marlon McRee was better than either of the guys we got now but committed an unforgivable post-season sin, so he's gone.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Tsyroc wrote: I think he was supposed to have a toe injury as well but that groin injury description just made me grimace.
He had "turf toe" (which sounds like a trivial injury, but isn't -at least not for a running back) all year and injured his groin against the Donkeys in the last game. The real problems he had for most of the season were the shitty defense, which kept the other team's offense on the field and Tomlinson off it (and when they were on the field Rivers was forced to throw most of the time), getting rid of fullback Lorenzo Neal and the sucktacular line play on offense. The entire right side played like crap. Mike Goff is washed up, Jeromey Clary is not suited to play tackle and is a backup at best, and the center claims to weigh 280 pounds (which is already undersized for a lineman), but is probably more in the 260-270 range. This means Nick Hardwicke is smaller than the fullback they so stupidly cut, and smaller than their backup tight end.

The good news is that Norv Turner is trying to bring in Tony Wise to coach the offensive line. Wise coached the Cowboys' line under Jimmy Johnson and would get better results. They just need more talent on both lines for the coaches to work with.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

I'm picking the Steelers (plus zebras) and Cardinals for the Super Bowl.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Ravens (Hard as hell to beat a team three times in one season, although you could argue, they didn't.)

Cardinals (I hope there is a doctor in the house, because the Eagles are going to need their hinds licked :P)
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

I'm going Ravens Eagles.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I'm saying Ravens - Cardinals.

Unless of course Donovan McNabb can go for one game without pulling some kind of douche move. That guy should be the most popular QB in the game, but he just can't help himself.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

ALthough a Ravens/Eagles Super Bowl is my least desirable outcome of Sunday's games, I can't help but wonder what TO would think if he saw two teams that he could have been playing for (save for his baby antics) in the Super Bowl, and not him and his vaunted Cowgirls.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

24-6 at halftime. Kinda hard not to root for the Cardinals, at this point, from a neutral perspective. The Cards had a great flea-flicker to set up Fitzgerald, and got SCREWED by a terrible call on a kickoff that they should have recovered (as a referee, I have NO idea how they can miss a ball in or out of bounds call). Coupled with Demps' ridiculously dirty hit on Warner, I'm hoping that they hold on in the second half.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
That NOS Guy
Jedi Council Member

Post by That NOS Guy »

I will be unable to answer any and all questions as to why the Eagles played with no heart due to alcohol poisioning. Hav, you know how to pick 'em.

Though, I'd like to suggest a custom title of "Romolicious".
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

That NOS Guy wrote:I will be unable to answer any and all questions as to why the Eagles played with no heart due to alcohol poisioning. Hav, you know how to pick 'em.

Though, I'd like to suggest a custom title of "Romolicious".
I think you're premature NOS guy.

No faith! :lol: Impressive by the Eagles though, they're finally making me look like I might know one thing about the NFC.

edit: on 2nd look, Eagles look re-determined to throw the game away.
edit2: attaboy Eagles, you redoubled your efforts and now you're behind once again. I suppose I'll just wait for the fat lady before commenting again.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

This has turned into a GREAT game, actually. 2:00 warning, and the Eagles need a first-down to keep going, since they've only got one time-out left, but they're in Cardinals' territory.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Yeah, HAV called it, that sure-handed WR corps dropped the ball once again. Literally and metaphorically.

edit: I'm 3-6 in my picks now or 3 out of 9 games.
edit2: No Cardinals 1st down so they'll punt it with about 15 Eagle seconds to still score and tie.
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

So how many laterals do we think we'll see? 9 seconds from the Eagles 7 yard line. Pretty hopeless. :)
Shit, I forgot to count, but they made 2 laterals I think, and the 3rd was... I suppose it counts as a fumble recovery, not intercepted, but it was taken out of midair. Darnell Docket.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

There's an Arctic wind blowing through Hell right now....
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Oh well. Good season.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

NOS, you are a good guy and a man of your word. :D That said, the Eagles made a helluva run, not just in the season, but in the game. I was getting my black and gold ready. :D
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
That NOS Guy
Jedi Council Member

Post by That NOS Guy »

Well, this being the 4th time around and a reasonably close game I can't complian too much. That said the fucking Zebras missing that pass interference call on Curtiss is really grating. Oh well, at least the other team I've been rooting for (the Ravens) are still in it.

Next time Hav, next time :P
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

BWHAHAHAHAHAHA! First Zebra attack goes against the Steelers, and Holmes lost control of a would-be TD strike cause it bounced out of his control when he hit the ground.
Gooo Zebras! :lol:

edit: But seriously, the Steelers are doing just about as good against the Ravens as they were the Chargers. They're committing to the run, protecting Ben and getting in their downfield strikes and have a 6-0 lead.
Not looking good so far -- also, when Rothlisberger has thrown, he puts the ball where Ravens defenders tend not to be able to reach it. He already snuck one past Ed Reed with good ball placement.
Last edited by Medic on 2009-01-18 07:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

That absolutely could have been called PI. I think the only thing that saved him, was that it was closed fist and not an open hand that brought Curtis down.

I will be waiting. :wink:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

That NOS Guy wrote:Well, this being the 4th time around and a reasonably close game I can't complian too much. That said the fucking Zebras missing that pass interference call on Curtiss is really grating. Oh well, at least the other team I've been rooting for (the Ravens) are still in it.

Next time Hav, next time :P
The really blown call (on Avant) earlier in the game stands out as well.