BSG 4.5: Sometimes a Great Notion - Place your bets....

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Re: BSG 4.5: Sometimes a Great Notion - Place your bets....

Post by Themightytom »

Solauren wrote:What if Ellen had reconstructive surgery as a side effect of 'injuries sustained' sometime in the past?

We are no where near any answers people. We have to wait and see yet.
I suppose that was tongue and cheek, as it is a rediculous proposition. Ellen died on earth,. resurrected on the colonies, injured herself, had reconstructive surgery and still ended up looking the same when she was older? There isn't even TIME to show a flashback episode that would make THAT credible.

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
Bilbo
Jedi Master

Post by Bilbo »

Watching the episode where the Cylon Civil War starts "One" says something interesting. He talks of their programming forbidding them to speak of the other five models. The conversation continues and the impression I get is that there is some master programmer that the skin-jobs know exists but do not know that much about. This makes me wonder who they are talking about.

It kind of fits as well. The entire Cylon Empire with raiders, centurions, basestars, skin-jobs, they all seem to exist as if created at once and not as if they have evolved or expanded upon basic designs since the first Cylon war against the colonies.

So who was this programmer? Who created the Cylon race as we see them now. If the skin-jobs were merely the eventual evolution of the Cylon race they would have more knowledge of their past and their creation than their internal conversations seem to suggest.

Does this make sense to anyone else?
I KILL YOU!!!
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

Recently I've gotten the impression that the Skin jobs actually moved in and took over the Cylons during the war.

Clearly "God" is the master programmer. He set this whole thing up to happen.

The question is whether we are going to find out who "God" is in this story.

How many Gods of Kobol are there? 13?

1-12 skin jobs + another?
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

The question is whether we are going to find out who "God" is in this story.
Doctor Zee, of course 8)
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

Bilbo wrote:Watching the episode where the Cylon Civil War starts "One" says something interesting. He talks of their programming forbidding them to speak of the other five models. The conversation continues and the impression I get is that there is some master programmer that the skin-jobs know exists but do not know that much about. This makes me wonder who they are talking about.
It could very well be a thing rather than a person ie: an artifical intelligence.

It kind of fits as well. The entire Cylon Empire with raiders, centurions, basestars, skin-jobs, they all seem to exist as if created at once and not as if they have evolved or expanded upon basic designs since the first Cylon war against the colonies.
I think the evolution is actually pretty obvious; the centurions are obvious derivatives with more features, the raiders are a fancier version of the flying wing (cokpit removed) and teh base stars, still have that stacked look, again, its just fancier.
So who was this programmer? Who created the Cylon race as we see them now. If the skin-jobs were merely the eventual evolution of the Cylon race they would have more knowledge of their past and their creation than their internal conversations seem to suggest.
say a colonial found earth, and recovered a mechanoid cylon. possibly activating dormant technology in the process, that resurrected the final five. he brought his robot back, reverse engineered it and sold it to the military. Noit having known about skinjobs, he would have assumed the bodies on earth were humans. The cylons rebelled. The cylons pick up Tigh, and realize he's not a baseline human. The Cylons went to earth to look for more tech, whatever resurrected the final five develops the upgraded cylon models we see programmed not to mess with the final five.

The obvious smoking gun would have been one of the final five having a role in the new caprica series, but that does not appear to be the case.

Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

Twelve Lords of Kobol. I don't know if they've specifically mentioned it on the show but I know it's been definitely stated in some interviews. One of them got excommunicated (or whatever you do to particularly bad deities) for supposedly starting the wars on Kobol that made the humans flee because he wanted to be elevated above the others. The Temple of the Five was dedicated to that one, or something like that. I only saw that episode once.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Aeolus
Jedi Master

Post by Aeolus »

Mayabird wrote:Twelve Lords of Kobol. I don't know if they've specifically mentioned it on the show but I know it's been definitely stated in some interviews. One of them got excommunicated (or whatever you do to particularly bad deities) for supposedly starting the wars on Kobol that made the humans flee because he wanted to be elevated above the others. The Temple of the Five was dedicated to that one, or something like that. I only saw that episode once.
13 Lords of Kobol. 1 tried to raise himself above the others. (He who can't be named). That triggered the war of the gods and the founding of the 12 colonies. The temple was for the 13th god's 5 priests.
For I dipt into the future, far as human eye could see,
Saw the Vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be;
Saw the heavens fill with commerce, argosies of magic sails,
Pilots of the purple twilight dropping down with costly bales;
Heard the heavens fill with shouting, and there rain'd a ghastly dew
From the nations' airy navies grappling in the central blue;
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

I'm really starting to suspect that the lords of kobol are the skin jobs (not that they know it, those memories have obviously been wiped)
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Zac Naloen wrote:I'm really starting to suspect that the lords of kobol are the skin jobs (not that they know it, those memories have obviously been wiped)
Not to mention the theory fits why we have two starbuck bodies and her being called the harbinger of doom...number 13.
Bilbo
Jedi Master

Post by Bilbo »

Gaidin wrote:
Zac Naloen wrote:I'm really starting to suspect that the lords of kobol are the skin jobs (not that they know it, those memories have obviously been wiped)
Not to mention the theory fits why we have two starbuck bodies and her being called the harbinger of doom...number 13.
So the 12 Lords of Kobol are basically the Greek Gods. We could probably link each of the skinjobs with a proper deity. But then who would 13 be? Which Greek Deity would be the outsider that tried to take over everything and elevate above the others?
I KILL YOU!!!
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

Gaidin wrote:
its actually "Harbringer of death" and I still think that means she will be instrumental in the cylons abandoning resurreection technology. Wasn't the ultimate massive Hub of Awesomeness they blew up a few episodes back instrumental in that, and didn't she already do it?

Bilbo
Jedi Master

Post by Bilbo »

Themightytom wrote:
Gaidin wrote:
its actually "Harbringer of death" and I still think that means she will be instrumental in the cylons abandoning resurreection technology. Wasn't the ultimate massive Hub of Awesomeness they blew up a few episodes back instrumental in that, and didn't she already do it?
According to the prototype hybrid, "Kara Thrace will lead the human race to its end. She is the herald of the apocalypse, the harbinger of death. They must not follow her."

So her being a harbinger appears to relate to humanity not to Cylons.
I KILL YOU!!!
Lord Insanity
Padawan Learner

Post by Lord Insanity »

Skylon wrote:So...what happened to Leoben? Is he gonna keep his mouth shut about Kara's little find?
I can't believe no one else caught this. Kara puts the pilot suited remains down, then builds the pyre, then puts another blanket wrapped body on the pyre. Presumably the second body was Leoben. The plot thickens.
-Lord Insanity

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" -The Real Willy Wonka
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Lord Insanity wrote:
Skylon wrote:So...what happened to Leoben? Is he gonna keep his mouth shut about Kara's little find?
I can't believe no one else caught this. Kara puts the pilot suited remains down, then builds the pyre, then puts another blanket wrapped body on the pyre. Presumably the second body was Leoben. The plot thickens.
Huh; didn't catch that. Then the question becomes will anyone on the rogue Basestar notice that they're minus one Cylon and start asking question?
Koolaidkirby
Padawan Learner

Post by Koolaidkirby »

Lord Insanity wrote:
I thought that was her putting the body next to where should would build the pyre, then once she finished she moved it from the ground next to it to the pyre... i'll have to check that out.
Evil will always triumph over good, because good, is dumb
Lord Insanity
Padawan Learner

Post by Lord Insanity »

Koolaidkirby wrote:I thought that was her putting the body next to where should would build the pyre, then once she finished she moved it from the ground next to it to the pyre... i'll have to check that out.
Maybe that is what happened and I missed something. Although what I thought I saw makes more sense plot wise.
-Lord Insanity

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" -The Real Willy Wonka
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

I just re-watched the episode; it looks like she moved the body then wrapped it in something, the chute maybe, then built the funeral pyre before putting the body on it. Leoben was long gone, in fact almost fled from her :?

So many nice touches, this one really deserves a poll :) 5/5

* Roslin looks to have completely lost it, getting that 'dont care, let me die' vibe

* Lee looking at the familiar tally board - 39,651 ---- and then running his finger down erasing the 1.....
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Lord Insanity
Padawan Learner

Post by Lord Insanity »

Yeah I just watched that part again. She just moved the same body. :oops: I guess the real question then, is what does Leoben do with the information he now has.
-Lord Insanity

Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

I know what youw ere thinkign because as that scene began I turned to my room mate and said "Who the hell would put the body at the BOTTOM of the pyre where the heat will take forever to reach it, she should construct a rudeimentary log cabin style to support the body and then construct more of a pyramid style on top to rapidly...oh ok shes picking up the body now...there we go."
he just turned to me and said "Tom you're a scary eagle scout."

also Bilbo, don't forget I am a proponent of the theory that the CYLONS are the humans and the colonials are human 2.0. So humanity's apocalupse= Earth, and Starbuck led them there.

Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

I'm pretty choked that Dualla killed herself. She was such a pretty face, and her death was so sudden. I don't know about Flagg, but I didn't see it coming. I was hoping she'd get more screen time, and then she started to, but then... Fuck Ronnie Moore.

One thing I didn't enjoy: Those retards on the Space channel. I haven't really discussed a single episode with anyone, not even on here, outside dropping a couple comments after an episode. So I didn't enjoy seeing them talk about it before and after the show. I can't think of many shows where something like this even happens, with someone talking about a show before and after it airs, except for when they were doing a bunch of reruns of Voyager on Access, and the person discussing it was a professor and some students from some distance-learning college.
XXXI
Bilbo
Jedi Master

Post by Bilbo »

Phantasee wrote:I'm pretty choked that Dualla killed herself. She was such a pretty face, and her death was so sudden. I don't know about Flagg, but I didn't see it coming. I was hoping she'd get more screen time, and then she started to, but then... Fuck Ronnie Moore.
Earth is a shithole which was the only thing worth living for in her book. She had a great night that made her happy one last time and she wanted to die before reality dragged her down into depression.

I doubt she was the only suicide in the fleet after finding a glow in the dark earth.
I KILL YOU!!!
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Bilbo wrote:
Phantasee wrote:I'm pretty choked that Dualla killed herself. She was such a pretty face, and her death was so sudden. I don't know about Flagg, but I didn't see it coming. I was hoping she'd get more screen time, and then she started to, but then... Fuck Ronnie Moore.
Earth is a shithole which was the only thing worth living for in her book. She had a great night that made her happy one last time and she wanted to die before reality dragged her down into depression.

I doubt she was the only suicide in the fleet after finding a glow in the dark earth.
Yeah, I can see how it happened, but of course I'm still not happy about it. Kinda like when you know why someone IRL killed themselves, you're still going to be at least a little bummed they're gone.
XXXI
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Bilbo wrote:

Yeah. I was actually half expecting that Rosilin might be the first suicide, but Dee's death will certainly create ripples.
Bilbo
Jedi Master

Post by Bilbo »

JME2 wrote:
Bilbo wrote:

Yeah. I was actually half expecting that Rosilin might be the first suicide, but Dee's death will certainly create ripples.
I dont think the average fan likes Rosilin enough to care if she blew her brains out. Her character is annoying enough at times that I certainly would not care if she decided she did not want to wait for the cancer to kill her.
I KILL YOU!!!
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Two things I heard elsewhere:

- Hey does anyone remember when that human-cylon baby was a big deal? The whole "Roslin and Six having the same operahouse vision/dream at the same time" thing? Are we ever going to see any more on why exactly that was such a big deal or did the writing staff just have a huge collective ADD attack and go spinning off in whatever direction they thought could give them punchier cliffhangers?

- lol humanity is the eighteenth angel 13th cylon model
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk