Let's Play X-COM: UFO Defense!

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Re: Let's Play X-COM: UFO Defense!

Post by Peptuck »

Vendetta wrote:Must have been already injured, or just camping in the smoke.
That's my running theory. Both Ryan and Decue were near the grenade that got Karza and MJ12-3.
Power suits are smokeproof, although that's probably far into the future unless Peptuck suddenly decides that armor is priority number 1.
Our first and foremost priority: researching alien food. :wink:
X-COM: Defending Earth by blasting the shit out of it.

Writers are people, and people are stupid. So, a large chunk of them have the IQ of beach pebbles. ~fgalkin

You're complaining that the story isn't the kind you like. That's like me bitching about the lack of ninjas in Robin Hood. ~CaptainChewbacca
The Defenestrator
Youngling

Post by The Defenestrator »

Peptuck wrote:Our first and foremost priority: researching alien food. :wink:
But don't we already have liquefied cow organ technology?
:| Have a day.

The world won't grind to a halt for want of CMYK. It's not a precious fluid, and you don't need much of it compared to some of the examples given.
To blithely compare toner ink to Red Bull in such a fashion sickens me.
-Eleas
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

yes it's called good beer from Ireland.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Narkis
Padawan Learner

Post by Narkis »

After the latest mission it'd appear you're in need of some fresh meat for the grinder new recruits. Private Narkis, ready to get impregnated by a Chryssalis and die a horrible, agonizing death protect the Earth from the alien scum!

edit: How do you do strike text in this board?
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Here's the important question for those of us who survived:

While White Haven's being poured into a armoured porta-loo with a Post-It note reading 'VENGEANCE' on the front, who's in charge of waving the expendables off of the airliner?
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

Vanas wrote: While White Haven's being poured into a armoured porta-loo with a Post-It note reading 'VENGEANCE' on the front, who's in charge of waving the expendables off of the airliner?
Zablorg got promoted to Captain after the mission. He's the highest ranking trooper we've got.

I'll give you a second to let the terror sink in.

Writers are people, and people are stupid. So, a large chunk of them have the IQ of beach pebbles. ~fgalkin

You're complaining that the story isn't the kind you like. That's like me bitching about the lack of ninjas in Robin Hood. ~CaptainChewbacca
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Peptuck wrote:
Zablorg got promoted to Captain after the mission. He's the highest ranking trooper we've got.

I'll give you a second to let the terror sink in.
It's game over man! Game over!
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

That's fine. He's built to go in first and kill everything in his path.

I'll just stock up on whiskey and grenades, just in case.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Karrick
Youngling

Post by Karrick »

I feel a strange compulsion to help save earth from the alien menace. Sign me up for the role of "meat". Alternately "meat holding a rocket launcher" would be fine.
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

Peptuck wrote: A small UFO was spotted early on over China. Phred's interceptor brought it down easily enough.

A couple of days later, two new contacts appeared.

Contact with UFOs significantly larger than anything previously encountered resulted in numerous sets of underwears being browned and/or yellowed.

High Command dispatched one Interceptor after each UFO; phred's was tasked with pursuing and tracking the larger one, but was under orders to not engage unless necessary. Coalition, meanwhile, tracked down the smaller UFO. Several Avalanche missiles later, the UFO was downed over eastern China. The larger one, meanwhile, landed, dicked around for a bit, and then ninja'd the fuck away from us when we weren't looking and disappeared over the Arctic.
Two successful missions and one confirmed kill! Not as exciting as dying of smoke inhalation, but I'll take what I can get. :mrgreen:
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

As you seem short on fleshy bodies, the warm sort at least, i'd like to sign up as a rifleman in defence of earth. With one proviso that i always carry an extra grenade called Euthorpe. When that grenade is used the next will be called Euthorpe II and so on and so forth, i expect to use Euthorpe to smite the enemy at every available opportunity.
STGOD SDNW4 player. Chamarran Hierarchy Catgirls in space!
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

Short update. Finally got some time to play again.

The mood back at base was somber. More than half the mission team had been killed on the last operation. There was only one way X-COM's personnel could deal with mortality-reminding grief of the deaths of their friends.

Selling the loot.

We made a significant amount of money off of selling all of the captured weapons and equipment the enemy had, as well as pawning off their food and research gear to various universities and S&M clubs.

The corpses of the fallen soldiers were given a proper funeral, by being shipped off to the Perseus Complex to see if we can patch them back together with SCIENCE!

In other news, Doctor Surlethe and his team of crack scientists managed to figure out where the safety was on the small launcher, and how to put the ammunition in the loader. It took them only two weeks to figure it out, which by our reckoning is pretty good.

Note: Unfortunately, research on the stun bomb didn't finish until we were halfway through flight toward the next mission. Crap.

Production of the general stores at Vodkaville was completed, and we wasted no time ordering up a squad of troops, an interceptor, and plenty of firepower. Per battlefield recommendations, we have ordered enough high explosive to render Rhode Island a second orbital body.

Once Command realized Zablorg was the highest ranking soldier in the remnants of X-COM’s personnel list, a collective “OH SHIT” was uttered. Rhoenix was awarded position of Captain by his ability to use conjunctions, and everyone sighed a big sigh of relief.

We still haven’t been able to get Zablorg to give up his captain’s hat though. He says it goes well with his bounteous golden locks.

Note: Oops. Screwed up who got made Captain last time. Never fear, big guy, the attrition rate is sure to have you wearing real brass in no time at all!

Doctor Bear’s laughter is reportedly causing sleeping problems among some of the new recruits.

A resupply of HWP rockets arrived, which meant that Hawkwings’ supply of booze has been confiscated pending upcoming missions. However, Command wishes to test out a newly developed Laser HWP, which has been loaded onto the Skyranger, along with the remnants of our experienced troops.

A very small UFO was sighted over Russia on March 9th. Phred was dispatched in Interceptor 02 to destroy it.

UFO tracking was lost over Europe.

Another UFO was spotted over Russia a few days later. By this time, Vodkaville had received its Interceptor, the pilot PeZook was dispatched to down it.

He Shoryuken’d the shit out of it. Skynerfed's best (read: all the schmucks who haven't died yet) have been deployed to bring it down.

Next update: OHGODWE’REALLGONNADIE

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Holy shit, I'm a Polish pilot flying out of Vodkaville.

This is, like, the best pun ever :D

*hic*
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

If I start cooking food after a sucessful interrogation, just don't wonder what's going on. And no the pate with "Chicken" is perfectly safe.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

I hear Snakeman is considered a delicacy in some countries.
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

Vendetta wrote:I hear Snakeman is considered a delicacy in some countries.
Who do you think keeps buying all these corpses?

Rekkon
Padawan Learner

Post by Rekkon »

Vendetta wrote:I hear Snakeman is considered a delicacy in some countries.
Snakeman caviar.
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

Welcome to the Air Force PeZook!!
Doctor Bear’s laughter is reportedly causing sleeping problems among some of the new recruits.
It's ok I'm an insomniac anyway.

I like the minute details on the sighting reports too

Size-little
Altitude-way up there
Heading-that way
Speed-sorta fast
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

I like the minute details on the sighting reports too
You get more once you have a Hyperwave Decoder. So you can get your spare brown pants ready for Snakeman terror missions.
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

Short update today. All I got done last week was the UFO clearance anyway.

Code: Select all

UFO Crash Clearance
Squad: Rhoenix, Weemadando, Heavy Zablorg, Stark, MJ12-1, MJ12-4, MJ12-5, Guppyshark, Vanas, Wautd
Laser HWP: Hawkwings
With the UFO shot down in eastern Siberia, we were expecting to face fierce snow and yummy vodka on touching down.

What the christ. Its T-shirt weather here.

Hawkwings spotted this floater dithering about in the oddly verdant woods, but the laser cannon proved ineffective due to difficult line of sight. Wautd, Vanas, and Zablorg dealt with the situation in the traditional X-COM manner. We burned the forest down.

As the team approached the downed scout UFO, we took a lot of fire from multiple angles. After a short but intense firefight, we spotted a Floater here, taking cover by the wall of the UFO . . . .

. . . and another on top of the UFO. Hawkwings got the one up top, blowing its head off with a giant laser beam o death, while Weemadando picked off the one on the ground, which had shrugged off autocannon shot from Wautd and Zablorg.

The teams split up to search the woods and circle around the crashed saucer. We stacked up on opposite sides of the door, ready to strike, when a Floater popped out.

Now, beforehand, I took the precaution of having my people drop all their heavy weapons and switch to laser pistols.

Everyone except Zablorg, who was waaaaaaaaay in the back.

Fuck.

Zablorg, with his lightning reflexes and minimal brain power, fired a single quick autocannon shot that hit the floater square in the noggin. Said floater was two feet away from a nice, tight cluster of X-COM personnel.

Weemadando was blasted unconscious. MJ12-4 and Rhoenix were not so lucky, absorbing copious amounts of shrapnel to important sections of their bodies. In the subsequent assault on the interior of the UFO, Guppyshark rushed inside and stabbed the floater in the scrotum with his/her shock prod. It didn't seem to be affected, so Guppy dove aside, and the floater blew him/her away with reaction fire. MJ12-5 leapt in after him/her and shoved his stun prod into the floater's eye socket, which dropped it.

Post Mission Analysis: Goddamn reaction fire. At this rate we'll be killing more of our own people than the aliens. The MJ12s in particular have been suffering a brutal attrition rate, but that's what they're there for.

Thankfully, the casualties were worth it. We managed to secure not only another live alien to play with - er, interrogate, but we also managed to recover a working UFO power source and UFO fuel. We predict that both of these recoveries will become absolutely critical in the coming months.

Also, Zablorg finally did make Captain, though whether that was entirely accidental or due to previously unforseen calculating, cunning, and intellect is unknown. Nearly everyone was wounded by his brainstorm anyway (except Zablorg himself) so next mission should see the deployment of our new batch of rookies . . . .

The Defenestrator
Youngling

Post by The Defenestrator »

You know, you don't have to assault the UFO with everyone at once. For a downed Medium Scout, 3 people should be fine.
:| Have a day.

The world won't grind to a halt for want of CMYK. It's not a precious fluid, and you don't need much of it compared to some of the examples given.
To blithely compare toner ink to Red Bull in such a fashion sickens me.
-Eleas
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

The Defenestrator wrote:You know, you don't have to assault the UFO with everyone at once. For a downed Medium Scout, 3 people should be fine.
But then you don't get the possibility of you heavy weapons trooper shooting you in the back.

Remember: there is no kill like overkill.

Academia Nut
Sith Devotee

Post by Academia Nut »

This little Let's Play inspired me to get XCOM and fool around with it. Some highlights:

1) I captured two alien ships completely intact within the first month, so I had tons of alloy and elerium-115 to play around with
2) Heavy plasma for everyone by March!
3) Japan and China bitched about alien activity so I built a monitoring base near there. I managed to catch a harvester on the ground and I took it with a single casualty, which I think was due to a really stupid muton with a blaster launcher. 200+ Elerium in one mission, whoo!
4) Blaster launchers. I somehow missed the first time I fired one and hit the UFO I was going around, ironically killing one of the rookies assaulting the interior. Since most of the energy went into blowing up the ship, I severelly underestimated the firepower of the next time I fired the thing. That reaper never knew what hit it. Neither did the civilian in the convenience store ten squares over.

But yeah, this game is fun. Might I sign up as one of the scientists or engineers?
I love learning. Teach me. I will listen.
You know, if Christian dogma included a ten-foot tall Jesus walking around in battle armor and smashing retarded cultists with a gaint mace, I might just convert - Noble Ire on Jesus smashing Scientologists
Artemas
Padawan Learner

Post by Artemas »

Well, as your recruits have suffered from entirely preventable circumstances, here are three more recruits.

Triangle: Super aggressive, close combat type asshole

Square: By the book, no-nonsense mid range assaulter

Circle: Lazy, long-range, laid back sort of fellow

Lets Play Geometric Wars!
Shrooms: It's interesting that the taste of blood is kind of irony.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

FUCK YEAH! I make it again. Where's my promotion fuckers?