NHL 2008/2009 Season

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Re: NHL 2008/2009 Season

Post by CmdrWilkens »

So awesome game last night. I was two rows back from the penalty box for Rangers:Caps. While the scoring was all 2nd period the 3rd was possibly the most fun hockey if nothing else than for the sight of Alex Semin beating on Staal after getting his jersey ripped off. Between that and Clark getting clocked one early by Rudden, some truly neat 4 on 4 plus a just beautiful shortnaded goal by Ovie and it was just a fun game to be at.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Make It Five :D

What more can you say? So many stories, but the one that gets me, is Angelo Esposito. Who had came back a record 4th time (after being cut the 3 previous years) makes the team, plays a great tournament, and winds up scoring what proved to be the game winning goal against Sweden. Thats Hockey :)

Russia rounds out the medals with the bronze.

Now start the countdown to Saskatoon/Regina in December :mrgreen:
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

Burak Gazan wrote:Make It Five :D

What more can you say? So many stories, but the one that gets me, is Angelo Esposito. Who had came back a record 4th time (after being cut the 3 previous years) makes the team, plays a great tournament, and winds up scoring what proved to be the game winning goal against Sweden. Thats Hockey :)

Russia rounds out the medals with the bronze.

Now start the countdown to Saskatoon/Regina in December :mrgreen:
Definitely want to make the trek East to the Gap to see a WJC game next time around. Usually I just fly over Saskatchewan and Manitoba.

Happy for Angelo Esposito as well.
Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

And the Flames hand the hated Sharks their first regulation loss at home this season. Excellent.

9 points up on the Canucks with 3 games in hand.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that Ryane Clowe is a piece of shit. Absolutely no respect for him.
Last edited by Archon on 2009-01-16 08:05pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Congrats to the Flamers.

Things have not been good in Pond Territory lately, but I think we can rebound against an ailing Pittsburgh tonight and get some big momentum when Selanne comes back within the next two weeks. ALso, seeing three Ducks starting for the West will be incredible.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Phoenix leads 4-3 in 3rd in a spirited affair in Calgary right now. And, I wish someone would broadcast or at least show more highlights of the SJ-Detroit game; 2 best teams in the west and not a damn thing to see :P That, or figure out how to afford the NHL network :)

Canadiens pretty much blew a 3-1 lead to the Sens earlier, but managed to win in the shootout. During the game, with Cherry et al, and the hot stove knuckleheads whining about fighting, and helmets and "how DARE David Branch do something in the OHL without consulting the midget!...." It struck me, that a couple weeks ago, there was some of the best hockey I had seen in months. And there wasnt a single fight. Funny that. One wonders what the NHL and the bonehead supporters point is :roll: Couldnt possibly be that we have to keep the cro-magnon bullshit going to feed the blood fans could it? Yeah... Said it before, no point now; they all be wringing hands when some NHL player gets killed, or reduced to vegetation, but until then, game on.
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Archon wrote:EDIT: Forgot to mention that Ryane Clowe is a piece of shit. Absolutely no respect for him.
He did have four assists tonight and was the number 1 star as the Sharks beat the Wings 6-5, even without two of our top-4 defensemen.

That was a ridiculously exciting and entertaining game, that fully lived up to the billing going in.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

Burak Gazan wrote:Phoenix leads 4-3 in 3rd in a spirited affair in Calgary right now. And, I wish someone would broadcast or at least show more highlights of the SJ-Detroit game; 2 best teams in the west and not a damn thing to see :P That, or figure out how to afford the NHL network :)

Canadiens pretty much blew a 3-1 lead to the Sens earlier, but managed to win in the shootout. During the game, with Cherry et al, and the hot stove knuckleheads whining about fighting, and helmets and "how DARE David Branch do something in the OHL without consulting the midget!...." It struck me, that a couple weeks ago, there was some of the best hockey I had seen in months. And there wasnt a single fight. Funny that. One wonders what the NHL and the bonehead supporters point is :roll: Couldnt possibly be that we have to keep the cro-magnon bullshit going to feed the blood fans could it? Yeah... Said it before, no point now; they all be wringing hands when some NHL player gets killed, or reduced to vegetation, but until then, game on.
I was at the Flames game tonight and that was some odd hockey they were playing. Lots of errant passes and Kipper was a little off.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

SO Caps have clearly bounced back after that ugly 3 game slide and dominated the Pens followed by an awesome game last night against the Bruins. I still maintain that they just got out of rhythm when everyone came back from IR and DTD all at once. It took a week or so for the lines to gel again after getting so many guys back in the lineup. Still #2 in the east and #4 overall so I'm happy with that having only the Isles and Senators left before the break.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

CmdrWilkens wrote:SO Caps have clearly bounced back after that ugly 3 game slide and dominated the Pens followed by an awesome game last night against the Bruins. I still maintain that they just got out of rhythm when everyone came back from IR and DTD all at once. It took a week or so for the lines to gel again after getting so many guys back in the lineup. Still #2 in the east and #4 overall so I'm happy with that having only the Isles and Senators left before the break.
I actually really like the Caps' players, especially as compared to the Penguins. Ovechkin is the most exciting player in hockey, and they've also got Green and Semin, who are other rising stars in the League. Personally, I don't get why Pittsburgh is the League's posterchild, since I think the Caps are plain more fun to watch, and much more likely to get better.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Master of Ossus wrote:I actually really like the Caps' players, especially as compared to the Penguins. Ovechkin is the most exciting player in hockey, and they've also got Green and Semin, who are other rising stars in the League. Personally, I don't get why Pittsburgh is the League's posterchild, since I think the Caps are plain more fun to watch, and much more likely to get better.
When they came into the league, Crosby had far better English skills than Ovechkin (I don't think Ovie or Semin spoke English when they first came over - if they did, it was extremely rough), so he became Buttman's poster child.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

The Dark wrote:
Master of Ossus wrote:I actually really like the Caps' players, especially as compared to the Penguins. Ovechkin is the most exciting player in hockey, and they've also got Green and Semin, who are other rising stars in the League. Personally, I don't get why Pittsburgh is the League's posterchild, since I think the Caps are plain more fun to watch, and much more likely to get better.
When they came into the league, Crosby had far better English skills than Ovechkin (I don't think Ovie or Semin spoke English when they first came over - if they did, it was extremely rough), so he became Buttman's poster child.
One of the articles, and for the life of me it was linked off of ESPN and I don't know to where, I've read pointed out that it really is right now a bunch of folks stirring up the "good ol' [North] American Boy" Crosby versus the EVIL RUSSIAN Ovechkin. It says something when your team makes it into the playoffs when you are gone for half the season and your linemate has outscored you this year as well. basically Sid is a great player but Semin was much closer to the mark than Don Cherry, or really anyone, wants to admit when he talked about Crosby earlier in the year.

-Kingdom of Heaven
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Doubleheader on TSN tomorrow night, first game has the Caps in Ottawa, and game 2 the Canucks in San Jose. Now thats a pair of games worth staying up late for :)

And, Sharks call up Lemiuex

Hope he doesnt get killed :wink:
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Burak Gazan wrote:Doubleheader on TSN tomorrow night, first game has the Caps in Ottawa, and game 2 the Canucks in San Jose. Now thats a pair of games worth staying up late for :)
The joke around here on ComcastSports Net has been that the announcers won't know what to do with themselves given that the last caps game before and the first game after the break are going to be on Versus. So the local guys get almost a two week break from calling the game...what will Joe B and Craig Laughlin do with their spare time?

-Kingdom of Heaven
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Man, Dave Hodge just tore Milbury and all his cro-magno allies to shreds , regarding their bs attitude toward fighting :twisted:

Essentially: * just have the fans of fighting come out, and admit, you WANT a fight in a game, to make it more fun for you, to see your player beat up the other guy. But dont give me some bullshit song and dance about how its 'part of the game' or 'need to protect our players'. You ENJOY it, just admit that and maybe us granola fans can stomach you apes easier.... :P

Always liked Dave Hodge's way of cutting through the haze :mrgreen:

Edit : 2-1 Sens, early 2nd period.

Edit 2: 3-2 final for Ottawa, with a big assist to the zebras :roll: After letting the teams pretty much have at it in the 3rd, they call a weak-ass homer penalty late to help the Sens win; Devorski blocking a clearing attempt by Washington pretty much set up the go ahead goal; nice work douchebag.

Please let game 2 be more entertaining... :P
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Re: fighting, as arenas there are eight or ten teams whose fans are basically there to watch hockey and to whom the fights are nigh-irrelevant towards their enjoyment of the game. Red Wings and Blackhawks fans are there to watch 60 minutes of hockey and not one minute of players beating each other up. Those teams are exciting enough that people show up to watch Jonathan Toews and Henrik Zetterberg put on a show with their skates.

When you root for Trashville, though, and they're playing the Florida Panthers, I can understand why people would be watching for a fight. Those teams are terrifically boring, and no one's going to pay $50 to watch the slowpokes "skate" around the immovable objects and so the only people left in the (largely empty) arena are the ones who want to watch big guys beat the tar out of each other.

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

If the league would amend its rules to protect players from Sean Avery of Ulf Samuelsson type cheap shots better and drop shit that protects weasels such as the instigator rule, and then make wearing a visor mandatory, you will see a significant decrease in fighting.

I have personally seen many examples where fighting has been a huge part of the game and not just to thrill the fans. Best examples being a game in *shock* Chicago a few years back when the Ducks were actually sending out Parros on the Power Play Unit and First Line with Teemu and Andy McDonald because the Hawks were taking a lot of runs at McDonald. They never touched him with Big George out there, granted the Hawk most responsible was David Koci, who is no longer with the team.

As far as firing up your team and giving them a boost, Francois Beauchemin's ass kicking of Jarome Iginla in the 2006 Playoffs is the catalyst in the Ducks' comeback from being down 3 games to 2 to win that series in 7. I believe Archon will attest to that.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

Darth Fanboy wrote:If the league would amend its rules to protect players from Sean Avery of Ulf Samuelsson type cheap shots better and drop shit that protects weasels such as the instigator rule, and then make wearing a visor mandatory, you will see a significant decrease in fighting.
Agreed. My only use for an instigator style rule would be for the 3rd man in after a clean hit or something. But that is easily covered by handing out an extra Roughing penalty. I really hate it when a third guy on the team of the hit victim goes after the hitter after a clean hit. You shouldn't have to answer for a clean hit.
I have personally seen many examples where fighting has been a huge part of the game and not just to thrill the fans. Best examples being a game in *shock* Chicago a few years back when the Ducks were actually sending out Parros on the Power Play Unit and First Line with Teemu and Andy McDonald because the Hawks were taking a lot of runs at McDonald. They never touched him with Big George out there, granted the Hawk most responsible was David Koci, who is no longer with the team.
On the other side of the coin there are plenty of games where fights do absolutely nothing to change momentum. Witnessed one the other night when Phoenix was visiting Calgary. Iggy dropped them, beat the crap outta David Hale and it appeared that neither team took any motivation out of it.
As far as firing up your team and giving them a boost, Francois Beauchemin's ass kicking of Jarome Iginla in the 2006 Playoffs is the catalyst in the Ducks' comeback from being down 3 games to 2 to win that series in 7. I believe Archon will attest to that.
I'll take your word on that. I didn't actually see any of the games in that series because I worked afternoon shift at that time (2:30pm-11:00pm).
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Did anyone catch the AHL incident on Friday -- complete with the helmets off, which ended with one player going down. Supposedly he didnt hit his head on the ice, but he went into convulsions anyways -- complete with the eyes going back in head and foaming at the mouth --- not a pretty sight. Campbell was asked about this on Sat night at the skills contest, and gave some bullshit statement about how he had seen it but wasnt sure if they took their helmets off... :wtf:
How the fuck can you have seen it Collie, and not be sure? Jesus, I hate fucking doublespeak.

And, expect some stormy seas ahead with the Red Wings apparently standing their ground about wanting Pavel Datsyuk and Nicklas Lidstrom to play in the next game; apparently the NHL (lead by the midget) feels constrained to suspend these players (and anyone else) that never showed for the allstar follies, never mind the fact that the player was hurt. NHL "hoping" Detroit would just scratch them for that game, but apparently the Wings not pleased and standing their ground; NHLPA had been talking all through the weekend with the League, but no results. If the midget's minions go ahead and suspend these guys, THATS when the shit will hit the fan. They really could have been smarter, its a fucking stupid rule in the first place, but someone like Lidstrom, a great player who has been to 9 previous allstar games is not the sort of guy that deserves this shit.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Man, FUCK Gary Bettman.

I cackle with glee every time I watch replays of the 07 Finals and watch Niedermayer rip the cup out of that little gnome's hands while Commissioner Dingbat tried to score a photo op with a future hall of famer.

It's a goddamn all star game, baseball's isn't hurt one bit by players not showing up. There were still two full rosters of elite talent. Give it a rest. I loathe the Red Wings (rationally) and I still think this is bullshit. If this had been any other player, especially Pronger, there wouldn't be any of this fucking nonsense about letting Detroit just scratch them both for a game to avoid suspensions. They don't have the balls to enforce their own shit policy, and they don't have the brains to realize its shit to begin with.

Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Mack's Blog

Well, not really a shock given the monolithic attitude of the NHL but still infuriating. Doubly so, since the players just recently voted to not reopen the CBA this year. Now, call me vendictive, but I think I would be reconsidering that decision right now.

Murray prob have deal trading Gerber by Tuesday

I dont think this will have any impact on Ottawa. I only hope if it is Calgary, they dont give up too much for a backup to Kyprusoff
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Supposedly the League was mostly annoyed that the Wings wouldn't send Henrik Zetterberg or Brian Rafalski as replacement players. I agree that Lidstrom is a poor target for the policy because he has been to so many games in the past, but you also have to question the severity of his injury since he scored two goals and played 26+ minutes in his last game before the break. Datsyuk is the worse example, IMO, because he was injured in the last game before the break and missed the last ten minutes, so clearly his injury is legitimate but he may have been able to recover over break.

Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

Burak Gazan wrote: Murray prob have deal trading Gerber by Tuesday

I dont think this will have any impact on Ottawa. I only hope if it is Calgary, they dont give up too much for a backup to Kyprusoff
I don't think Gerber's going anywhere. He's a liability with his irregular playing and his ever so fragile psyche. I've seen people who suffered from tourette's curse less than him when he allowed his first AHL goal. And having talked to him and met Murray I don't think he's going anywhere either. And, with the cap hit that anyone would take being so huge for someone who is at best a semi-reliable backup, I can't blame them. I think odds are he's going back down to the AHL where he'll wait out the year, and then saunter off to Europe to play until he retires (unless a NHL team offers him a backup spot...).
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

No Takers

You appear to be correct.
Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

Jesus fucking Christ, the Oilers get annihilated 10-2 on this night.

AND:

Zetterberg re-signs in Hockeytown, 12 Years/$72 Million.

About $6 Million a year. Good deal. The Wings are incapable of doing anything wrong.