EW.com reveals new Enterprise

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Re: EW.com reveals new Enterprise

Post by Alyeska »

That thing looks like a weird hybrid of the TOS phaser, ST2 phaser, ST3 phaser, and ST5/6 phaser. I can see elements of each phaser in that thing. The silver from the ST2 phaser, the retro look of the TOS phaser, the overall shape and feel of the ST3 phaser. And it somehow feels somewhat militant like the ST5/6 phaser.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Bigger image, and this one at least looks less plastic-y. The description (scroll down) says it's got light effects, so I *hope* that's what the transparent coloured plastic is for.
Atavarius
Padawan Learner

Post by Atavarius »

The gun barrel pivots horizontally to switch from Stun to Vaporize, with each setting having its own set of lights and sounds.
I am really hoping this isn't how it is in the movie, and the bloody thing still needs a trigger guard.
Count Chocula
Jedi Council Member
Location: You've asked me for my sacrifice, and I am winter born

Post by Count Chocula »

Atavarius wrote:I am really hoping this isn't how it is in the movie, and the bloody thing still needs a trigger guard.
And a real trigger, and stippled grips so you can hold onto the thing, and sights, and....

....this is Star Trek.

Never mind.

Rotating the stun/kill assembly strikes me as possibly the worst way to change settings ever devised, and as a bonus leaves an emitter pointing right at the body of the phaser, and of course the redshirt holding it. But it's OK: Treknology never malfunctions, right?

I'm liking the new Enterprise less now that I've seen the model. The saucer looks way too close to the nacelles for my sense of proportion.
The only people who were safe were the legion; after one of their AT-ATs got painted dayglo pink with scarlet go faster stripes, they identified the perpetrators and exacted revenge. - Eleventh Century Remnant

Lord Monckton is my heeerrooo

"Yeah, well, fuck them. I never said I liked the Moros." - Shroom Man 777
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

I'm liking the new Enterprise less now that I've seen the model. The saucer looks way too close to the nacelles for my sense of proportion.
The couldn't have picked a shittier angle for that promo shot.
I am really hoping this isn't how it is in the movie, and the bloody thing still needs a trigger guard.
And bullets! 7.62 NATO! Just like it should have been in TOS and that's what they use in my fic!
Atavarius
Padawan Learner

Post by Atavarius »

Bounty wrote:
And bullets! 7.62 NATO! Just like it should have been in TOS and that's what they use in my fic!
You're right! How dare I complain about poor design of the weaponry in Trek again! Rotating the barrel assembly and having the business end pointing towards you is GENIUS!
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

I like the super-shiny finish. Perfect for concealment.. er...
Count Chocula wrote:And a real trigger, and stippled grips so you can hold onto the thing, and sights, and....

....this is Star Trek.
Heh. I have a garden hose nozzle that has actual textured grips and a trigger guard of sorts. Actually it's just a locking clip to keep the palm trigger from being pressed (conversely, it also serves to lock the water flow to "on"). More like a safety than a guard.

No sights though. :)
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Atavarius wrote:
Bounty wrote:
You're right! How dare I complain about poor design of the weaponry in Trek again! Rotating the barrel assembly and having the business end pointing towards you is GENIUS!
While I think the rotating the barrel assembly mechanism is retarded as hell the business end ISN'T pointing towards you. What USED to be the business end is and making sure it doesn't accidentally BECOME the business end again however briefly is ludicrously easy (at least in modern day devices, Valen alone knows the inner workings of a phaser).
Doesn't change the fact that the thing looks like shit of course. Un-shiny it, remove the supposedly glowy parts and that moderately useless protrusion at the rear, and the thing might have potential.
As is-I think I'll pass.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Count Chocula
Jedi Council Member

Post by Count Chocula »

I figured out what the duck-bill extension on the rear of the phaser is for: so the user can handle the massive recoil! Just like the one on this real-life gun:

But BIGGERZ!
The only people who were safe were the legion; after one of their AT-ATs got painted dayglo pink with scarlet go faster stripes, they identified the perpetrators and exacted revenge. - Eleventh Century Remnant

Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Well, as you all know, kids, the more powerfull the recoil, the more powerfull the gun :!:

Of course, unless you dual-wield them - while jumping :wink:
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Atavarius
Padawan Learner

Post by Atavarius »

Count Chocula wrote:I figured out what the duck-bill extension on the rear of the phaser is for: so the user can handle the massive recoil! Just like the one on this real-life gun:

But BIGGERZ!

jeez its a beavertail safety :P. Its actually the grip safety that you depress when you hold the gun properly. Its extended like that to protect the web of your hand from hammerbite.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Quick derail this thread into meaningless firearm trivia!

Oh shit sorry I see you guys are on that already lol.

I'll never understand the problem prop designers have with over-under configurations. If stun has to be a 'different' thing with a different look (so the audience knows or whatever) they could just have used a separate lower emitter, and not this hilarious 'just like the toy' design. :)
Atavarius
Padawan Learner

Post by Atavarius »

Stark wrote:Quick derail this thread into meaningless firearm trivia!

Oh shit sorry I see you guys are on that already lol.

I'll never understand the problem prop designers have with over-under configurations. If stun has to be a 'different' thing with a different look (so the audience knows or whatever) they could just have used a separate lower emitter, and not this hilarious 'just like the toy' design. :)
Sorry, I just had to point it out.

It does not even have to be that complicated. Just make it like it was in "The Cage", or a switch the character flips, or just toss in a line where the character says switch to stun/kill. Anything is better than forcing the character to manipulate the part of the weapon that is meant to hurt people. I won't harp on other idiotic problems like the fact it is painted bright silver.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Well I'm assuming there's some overall art design reason why they want it bright and flashy, intead of them just doing it because it's bright flashy ST . :)
Atavarius
Padawan Learner

Post by Atavarius »

Stark wrote:Well I'm assuming there's some overall art design reason why they want it bright and flashy, intead of them just doing it because it's bright flashy ST . :)
True, I also just thought that perhaps the weapon automatically flips the barrel with a button press or something, eliminating some, but not all, of the stupidity of the design. I will just have to wait for the movie to see.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

In the end; it is a fricken Ray gun. It will fire brightly coloured beams or pulses and make 'pew pew' noises. What the hell were you expecting?
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Crazedwraith wrote:In the end; its fricken Ray gun. It will fire brightly coloured beams or pulses and make 'pew pew' noises. Wht the hell were you expecting?
I was about to post the same thing, except with "zappy laser space gun". I'm still going to post it because I like the sound of zappy laser space gun :o

So the new phasers are like the old phasers? That's a good thing. Who gives a shit about trigger guards or rubber grips or whatever the hell dumbshit gun trivia nonsense people insist on shoving down SF's throat? If this thing has an obvious business end and looks cool I'll be happy. After all, it's the future; who knows what lead to this thing being designed the way it is? Who can know until we see it in action?
Atavarius
Padawan Learner

Post by Atavarius »

Gee sorry. I didn't realize that discussing sci fi had no place on a sci fi discussion forum. This community discusses design issues in many sci fi universes all the time, sorry I expressed an interest in poor design choices in ST's small arms.
Atavarius
Padawan Learner

Post by Atavarius »

Sorry missed the edit time window. You guys are right, ST weapon design has been done to death. I'm just gonna let it go.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

A modern pistol has all of its bulk in the forward because of the natural mechanism of the bullet and how it must feed. Energy weapons do not have this problem. By moving the pistol grip forward relative the pistol they reduce the overall sway of the pistol while still retaining the bulk. A small amount of sway is magnified by a longer barrel. The shorter the barrel from the pistol grip, the less that sway will affect the aim.

I only have two gripes about the pistol. No trigger guard and the exposed element.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

For the record, I consider the ST5/6 Assault Phaser to be the best phaser they ever used. It has military feel all over. Textured grip, good ergonomics, very functional design.

Of course it suffered from the complete lack of iron sights and no trigger guard.

With just a little photo shopping this is what I created. Something that is far more military and practical as a sidearm.

Count Chocula
Jedi Council Member

Post by Count Chocula »

Stark wrote:If stun has to be a 'different' thing with a different look (so the audience knows or whatever) they could just have used a separate lower emitter, and not this hilarious 'just like the toy' design.
You mean something like this?

The Space:1999 Staple Gun O'Doom!!

Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

No, absolutely nothing like that. I mean, exactly like what they have now, with another emitter facing forward at all times to remove the necessity for a rotating section. They could even have their lights on it; it could even be exciting POP OUT action to fit their technicolour art style.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Count Chocula wrote:You mean something like this?

The Space:1999 Staple Gun O'Doom!!
Didn't G'Kar have a zap gun like that in Babylon 5?
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
Jon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jon »

Didn't want to start a new thread, but this model gives a really nice profile on the new Enterprise;

http://trekmovie.com/images/arcents_7.jpg