2008 NFL Season Thread- The Road to Super Bowl XLIII

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Re: 2008 NFL Season Thread- The Road to Super Bowl XLIII

Post by Falkenhayn »

Lady Tevar, I went to school with almost all pats fans. Some decent, mostly smug homers though. By now, they'll be biting fingernails and gnashing teeth over "dynasty" and "team of the decade". I welcome this outcome whole-heartedly, with the caveat of having not watched a minute of the game on video.
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
"Mix'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights."
-Gen. George Thomas, Union Army of the Cumberland
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Great, great game. Great plays by Fitzgerald and Holmes on those last plays.

Speaking of which, the latter just got named MVP.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

That was one hell of a catch by Holmes. Damn. It was a pretty good game, and I think Santonio deserved the MVP award.

And the refs still gave it away. Roughing the passer... My ass.
"Have you ever been fucked in the ass? because if you have you will understand why we have that philosophy"
- Alyrium Denryle, on HAB's policy of "Too much is almost enough"

"The jacketed ones are, but we're talking carefully-placed shits here. "-out of context, by Stuart
erik_t
Jedi Master

Post by erik_t »

Well, that's two highway robbery Pittsburgh Superbowl victories this decade. Jesus Christ. I didn't know that playing two-hand-touch with a fucking holder was a fucking personal foul. Never mind that a quarterback could fumble by winding his throwing arm back, then throwing the ball forward in a spiral. Fucking fuck.

I need to get in a fight post haste.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

The butthurt in this thread at times is simply amazing. The refs did *NOT* give this game away, and they didn't give Seattle away. How much whining does it take to overturn a game's outcome? Oh wait...
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

erik_t wrote:Well, that's two highway robbery Pittsburgh Superbowl victories this decade. Jesus Christ. I didn't know that playing two-hand-touch with a fucking holder was a fucking personal foul. Never mind that a quarterback could fumble by winding his throwing arm back, then throwing the ball forward in a spiral. Fucking fuck.

I need to get in a fight post haste.
Indeed. That was an incomplete. Not a fucking fumble - they block the arm while it's in forward motion and the ball spills. That makes it an incomplete. NOT a fumble.

Who knows if that makes a difference, but still. It was a poor call.
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

The Steelers won this game on their own merits. The personal foul against the punter was ultimately meaningless, and it's inconceivable to think that the Cardinals would have scored with the one, maybe two, plays they would have gotten if the play had been ruled an incompletion rather than a fumble.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
CaiusWickersham
Padawan Learner

Post by CaiusWickersham »

A good game by the Cardinals, but I still want to drink the sweet, delicious tears of unfathomable sadness from the Cardinals fans. Hav, you may start weeping into my dragon goblet as soon as I'm done with my Sam Adams Blackberry Witbier.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

*sigh*

I fucking hate Pittsburgh.

That said, a few points...

That was a great game. If I didn't hate the Steelers so much, I would have enjoyed it a little more.

Kurt Warner IS a Hall of Fame QB.

The Cardinals needed to take more time off the clock when they got the ball back after the safety. I was almost screaming at the TV for them to fun the ball on at least two plays. That would have killed a minute off the time that the Steelers used to score.

Of all the plays that the booth has reviewied, for them to NOT, or only spend 5 seconds on that last fumble was fucking ridiculous. As the rest of the week unfolds, people will realize that Warner did not have the ball knocked from his hand and did indeed push it forward, which technically, is a forward pass.

It was nice to see a couple of calls go against the Steelers in clutch moments.

The Steelers won this game fair and square. Talk of stealing a win is just sour grapes. Yes there were some bad calls, but the Cards had enough calls go their way to offset that.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
erik_t
Jedi Master

Post by erik_t »

Qwerty: It was inconceivable? Fitzgerald caught a 64 yard TD pass that quarter. The final "fumble" was recovered at the Pitt 43, which would have been a 57 yard TD play. I think your definition of "inconceivable" (PROTIP: usually means something that you can't imagine happening in real life) needs work.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

erik_t wrote:Qwerty: It was inconceivable? Fitzgerald caught a 64 yard TD pass that quarter. The final "fumble" was recovered at the Pitt 43, which would have been a 57 yard TD play. I think your definition of "inconceivable" (PROTIP: usually means something that you can't imagine happening in real life) needs work.
Also, time would have been put back on the clock. No, there was a good chance that the Cardinals receiving corp would have made a play, especially with Fitzgerald in the mix.

Either way, as I said, with some of the completely obvious plays that the booth buzzes down on, for them to NOT, or just spend 5 seconds, reviewing that play, is fucking ridiculous.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

That last play was an incomplete, but they still have, what ten seconds then to go the rest of the way down the field?

Hav you are dead on that Kurt Warner is HoF material.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Darth Fanboy wrote:That last play was an incomplete, but they still have, what ten seconds then to go the rest of the way down the field?
How long did it take for Fitzgerald to score on his big play. :wink: Also, I've seen Fitzgerald actually come down with a hail mary pass, so yeah, I think it was a huge call that should have gotten far more review than it did.
Hav you are dead on that Kurt Warner is HoF material.
I've believed this for a long while. Seeing him twice a year over the last couple and first few years of his career helped me figure that out. I'm glad that he has had some late career success so that other people realize it again.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

erik_t wrote:Qwerty: It was inconceivable? Fitzgerald caught a 64 yard TD pass that quarter. The final "fumble" was recovered at the Pitt 43, which would have been a 57 yard TD play. I think your definition of "inconceivable" (PROTIP: usually means something that you can't imagine happening in real life) needs work.
I stand by what I said. The Steeler safeties were playing a lot closer to the line of scrimmage on Fitzgerald's touchdown than on the Cardinal's final drive. A deep play? Sure. But with the amount of time left on that clock, the chances were functionally zero. You'll pardon me for the hyperbole, but it would not have happened.
erik_t
Jedi Master

Post by erik_t »

Qwerty 42 wrote:
I stand by what I said. The Steeler safeties were playing a lot closer to the line of scrimmage on Fitzgerald's touchdown than on the Cardinal's final drive. A deep play? Sure. But with the amount of time left on that clock, the chances were functionally zero. You'll pardon me for the hyperbole, but it would not have happened.
I will not pardon you for the hyperbole. If the chances were zero, then the game should have been called to prevent potential meaningless injury to the players. If the chances were not zero, then we don't know what the result would have been if the game had been called properly. We can guess, but we can't know unless the refs had fucking done their jobs.

There is no middle ground here.
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

erik_t wrote:
Qwerty 42 wrote:
I will not pardon you for the hyperbole. If the chances were zero, then the game should have been called to prevent potential meaningless injury to the players. If the chances were not zero, then we don't know what the result would have been if the game had been called properly. We can guess, but we can't know unless the refs had fucking done their jobs.

There is no middle ground here.
There's an awfully colossal difference between "the game ended prematurely" and "the refs gave the game away."
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

havokeff wrote: How long did it take for Fitzgerald to score on his big play. :wink:
Cardinals did not have the luxury of the middle of the field at this point, it had to be in the endzone or down the sidelines otherwise its a massive risk, and there were far more Steelers back covering on the final play.

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

I bask in the pain of Kurt Warner and his family. May he wake up night after night knowing that it was an incomplete and sob uncontrollably thinking what might have been. Oh the joy of such tears... :twisted:
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Poor Cardinals. To fight their way to the lead, with only a little more than two minutes left on the clock . . . then give up, what, 70 yards on defense in just over a minute to the Pittsburgh offense. Christ.

In any case, there were an assload of penalties in that game, especially personal fouls and holding calls.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjmYmhI2hO0&NR=1

Go to 1:04 (tha catch from the back of the endzone, then the whole play) and don't fucking tell me that the Cardinals still don't have a chance with Fitzgerald and another play.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
That NOS Guy
Jedi Council Member

Post by That NOS Guy »

Frankly if we're going to complain about being fucked by the Refs I don't even know if the Cards are even in without a blown pass intereference call in the NFC championship game. The zebras giveth, the zebras taketh.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Flagg wrote:I bask in the pain of Kurt Warner and his family. May he wake up night after night knowing that it was an incomplete and sob uncontrollably thinking what might have been. Oh the joy of such tears... :twisted:
Oh fuck off and show some fucking taste. :roll:
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

That NOS Guy wrote:Frankly if we're going to complain about being fucked by the Refs I don't even know if the Cards are even in without a blown pass intereference call in the NFC championship game. The zebras giveth, the zebras taketh.
Now now now. Why a Cowboy's fan, such as yourself, would be concerned with the Eagles getting screwed, I just don't understand.

However, that play was gone over by the VP of officiating on NFL Network and he deemed it the correct call. :twisted:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Steve wrote:
Flagg wrote:I bask in the pain of Kurt Warner and his family. May he wake up night after night knowing that it was an incomplete and sob uncontrollably thinking what might have been. Oh the joy of such tears... :twisted:
Oh fuck off and show some fucking taste. :roll:

Your pain makes me STRONGER!
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

havokeff wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjmYmhI2hO0&NR=1

Go to 1:04 (tha catch from the back of the endzone, then the whole play) and don't fucking tell me that the Cardinals still don't have a chance with Fitzgerald and another play.
I have not been saying that they don't have a chance, my overstatement aside. I'm just saying that it's a gigantic stretch to say that the game was given away by the referees because the Cardinals lose another Hail Mary. They also had a chance to run a fumble back for a touchdown on Roethlisberger's kneeldown, but you'd be foolish to fault the defense for not coming up with it.