Let's Play X-COM: UFO Defense!

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Jonen C
Youngling

Re: Let's Play X-COM: UFO Defense!

Post by Jonen C »

I would like to volunteer my services as an investiga... Er. Scout, I suppose. Assault? Light weapons, snooping around and spotting for the weapons guys/gals/ambiguously gendered individuals either way.

Jonen C. You can guess what the C is short for.
Needless to say, I expect to die a horrible death on my first mission.
Varje meddelande om att motståndet skall uppges är falskt. - BOOM FOR THE BOOM GOD! LOOT FOR THE LOOT THRONE!

My mother taught me that it is the right of every woman to be seen, acknowledged, courted and proposed to at least once daily.
So, if you are reading this and you are a woman, will you marry me?
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

I appear to still be alive.

I now strongly approve of my position at the back of the group and/or out of Zablorg's line of fire/blast radius. Keep it up.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

weemadando wrote:FUCK YEAH! I make it again. Where's my promotion fuckers?
Upon double-checking, you've also been promoted to Captain, as well.
X-COM: Defending Earth by blasting the shit out of it.

Writers are people, and people are stupid. So, a large chunk of them have the IQ of beach pebbles. ~fgalkin

You're complaining that the story isn't the kind you like. That's like me bitching about the lack of ninjas in Robin Hood. ~CaptainChewbacca
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Peptuck wrote:
Well it's about fucking time. Now I'm an even higher-profile target for the enemy!
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

weemadando wrote:
Peptuck wrote:
Well it's about fucking time. Now I'm an even higher-profile target for the enemy!
Don't worry. Thanks to Zablorg, you and the rest of the previous mission team are stuck in hospital beds getting pumped full of morphine and having shrapnel pulled from your asses by the finest Swiss nurses we can hire. Its good being based in the Alps.

Also, there are additional promotions following the next mission, but that's going to be a bit; there's a lot of pictures for next update....

Writers are people, and people are stupid. So, a large chunk of them have the IQ of beach pebbles. ~fgalkin

You're complaining that the story isn't the kind you like. That's like me bitching about the lack of ninjas in Robin Hood. ~CaptainChewbacca
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Hey, did I get that Skyranger pilot job I volunteered for ten pages back? :)
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

Starglider wrote:Hey, did I get that Skyranger pilot job I volunteered for ten pages back? :)
X-COM, like all governmental agencies, has massive amounts of beauracratic red tape. Things get lost.

(yeah, I forgot. Oops. I need to write all this stuff down....)

wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Man that was a lot of friendly fire for a mere scout UFO. Are you sure none of it was on purpose? :wtf:
Meh, at least I've survived to shoot teammembers another day.
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

I volunteer as a kill krazy sniper! I'lll hang by the entrance to the Skyraider and snipe sectoirds!
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
fnord
Jedi Knight

Post by fnord »

Shouldn't MKSheppard be a blaster bomber? What with the large energy release in small, auto-guiding, package?

If that holds, we won't need Shep until after Surlethe's guys sort blaster bombs out and my guys figure out a way to mass produce them - without blowing us to woop woop.
A mad person thinks there's a gateway to hell in his basement. A mad genius builds one and turns it on. - CaptainChewbacca
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

I dunno about a BL gunner...'precision' never seemed to be Shep's forte, more indiscriminate bombardment by grid square.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Karza
Jedi Knight

Post by Karza »

But that's the great thing about blaster bombs, they can be used for either! :)
"Death before dishonour" they say, but how much dishonour are we talking about exactly? I mean, I can handle a lot. I could fellate a smurf if the alternative was death.
- Dylan Moran
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

Big update.

Skynerfed’s status as of the latter end of March.

Vodkaville’s status as of the latter end of March.

WelcomefromEarf has not been upgraded past its current listening post status. It may receive a hangar and space for troops and weapons in the future for defensive and interception purposes, but its role is not likely to expand beyond this.

Code: Select all

To: All personnel
Subject: Human resources

The greatest resource our forces currently possess are the skills and dedication of our soldiers. I know, that's a chilling thought, but that's the truth. Thankfully, our research teams at Pursues have come up with a means to extend the combat lifespan of our organization’s most experienced troops.

Some of you might be unnerved to see old friends again, but that’s the way it has to be if we are to win this war. I urge each of you to consider them just as human as they were before xenos weapons or smoke inhalation or friendly fire took them from us the first time.

--Commander Wong

With the arrival of our cybernetically augmented and repaired veterans, the halls at Skynerfed became a little bit more quiet. It was kind of chilling, but all the troops knew that desperate times called for desperate measures. Rumors began to abound that the HWPs were being altered to house mortally injured soldiers as well, negating the need for remote uplinks. Trooper Hawkwings’ annoyance was made quite clear in a forty-two minute video he sent to High Command, mostly containing slurred cursing, random gesticulating with various bottles of alcohol, and lewd asides about the quality of the Swiss nurses patching up the combat teams.

Doctor Surlethe’s research team reported another breakthrough, this time in general technological development.

It is our hope that these medikits will enable our troops to survive the deadly killer that is drifting smoke, as well as comforting the dying as they stare at the giant gaping holes the aliens are blasting in their chests and stomachs.

Doctor Bear’s interrogation of the alien survivors is ongoing. The teams heading our containment facilities are reporting difficulty with getting the captured Floater off the ceiling to report for its sessions, having to resort to brooms and very harsh language to get the damn thing down.

Chief Engineer Fnord, with Assistant Chief Engineer Acadamia’s assistance, has reported excellent profits from our laser cannon sales thus far. We expect to establish a fourth base in the Western Hemisphere soon, hopefully expanding our Persues complex into an active-duty interception facility.

Vodkaville’s radar proved useful soon after completion, spotting a UFO active over Siberia. PeZook and Phred were dispatched to bring it down. Unfortunately, the UFO hit the ground before we could shoot it down, and thus the two pilots circled overhead, eagerly waiting for it to lift off so we could blast it to pieces. Very soon, it lifted, and PeZook got the honors of loosing six Avalanche missiles up its tailpipe. The alien craft went down hard.

Under the command of Sergeant Vanas, a team was dispatched to search, secure, and clear the UFO crash site.

Code: Select all

UFO Crash Clearance
Squad: Vanas, ROBO-OHMA, ROBO-VENDETTA, ROBO-KARZA, ROBO-DECUE, ROBO-THUNDER, Darkevilme, Karrick, MJ12-7, Maxentius
Laser HWP: Piloted by Hawkwings
First Lieutenant Starglider, our resident Skyranger jockey, dropped the team within a hundred meters of the downed UFO. Hawk took the lead in the laser tank, scouting around the south side of the area while the squad disembarked. Our cyborg-ressurected troopers seemed to function just as solidly and skillfully as they had in life, though we noticed some decrease in their actual combat abilities, probably due to the trauma of being revived by SCIENCE. For all intents and purposes, they operated just like regular rookies.

Hawkwings took fire from this building, and returned fire, exposing two floaters lurking within. The house was in line-of-sight of the Skyranger, which meant that the floaters could get a shot at the troopers disembarking. We dealt with this as X-COM does best.

We shot the shit out of the place.

This picture doesn’t show the sheer insane resilience of that Floater down on the ground floor. Every single soldier on the Skyranger disembarked and fired on him. Autocannon shots, rockets, direct hits with heavy laser beams . . . he ate it like some freaky xeno Terminator. It finally took a heavy laser beam from Maxentius to drop the bastard.

The squad quickly fanned out to search the buildings and make sure no enemies remained. A suspicious barn to the north drew Karrick’s attention, and he hit it twice with a high-ex rocket and an incendiary.

Movement was spotted in the upper levels of the ruined building the first two floaters had been lurking in. It turned out the one in the loft was only knocked unconscious by the angry fists of God pummeling the place. Robo-Decue was sent to capture the unarmed, dazed floater.

Meanwhile, the rest of the squad formed up to assault the UFO, with Maxentius and MJ12-7 moving to check the far corners of the farm for any enemy stragglers.

The interior was breached, and X-COM stormed the UFO with two three-man fireteams. Robo-Karza took a plasma blast to the torso, destroying critical organic and mechanical parts, and collapsed. Return fire from Darkevilme put it down.

Robo-Thunder and Robo-Ohma moved into the interior compartment and got off a shot with the new stun bomb launcher, which dropped two aliens. they fell back behind cover in the doorway, and found a third floater closing in.

They discharged their launcher at point-blank range, knocking themselves unconscious and dazing the alien. Darkevilme, Robo-Decue, and Robo-Vendetta moved in from the opposite side and put it down with another stun bomb, this time finishing it.

MJ12-7 fell victim to an unseen floater that had been lurking north of the UFO and east of the barn Karrick immolated. A single plasma bolt hit him while he was crossing a field. Hawkwings, Karrick, and Maxentius used their combined fire to blanket and put the last floater down.

Post-mission analysis:

We got an alien navigator plus three additional soldiers for interrogation. In addition,we took another intact UFO power source and fuel supply. The casualties suffered this time around (an expendable MJ12 and Karza . . . again . . . .) were well worth these gains.

However, High Command did see fit to hand out some promotions.

Colonel Zablorg.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Zablorg
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zablorg »

Why didn't you let me come on the mission?

Don't the troops feel comfortable around me?

Should I host orientation sessions?
Jupiter Oak Evolution!
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

Zablorg wrote:Why didn't you let me come on the mission?

Don't the troops feel comfortable around me?

Should I host orientation sessions?
You've got twenty pieces of shrapnel in your ass from your friendly-fire session. Gonna take some time to heal.

Don't worry, you got a huge pay bonus and have a dozen hot Swiss nurses taking care of you back at base.

X-COM: Where friendly fire really is friendly.

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Question, can we set up an North American Base out of that shack outside LaGrange?

I hear there's lots of nice erm-nurses there....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Karza
Jedi Knight

Post by Karza »

So first I get blown to ratshit with a grenade, and now I take a plasma bolt to the chest? Goddamn alien bastards, give me a break!

Gotta hand it to the cybernetics division though, being plastered over the landscape by an alien grenade is something I didn't really expect to come back from at all :D .
"Death before dishonour" they say, but how much dishonour are we talking about exactly? I mean, I can handle a lot. I could fellate a smurf if the alternative was death.
- Dylan Moran
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Karza wrote: Gotta hand it to the cybernetics division though, being plastered over the landscape by an alien grenade is something I didn't really expect to come back from at all :D .
That's the Cylon way for you baby
Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

Zalborg? Was he even ON this mission? I call foul!

I also call the position of tank driver, for any HWPs based out of the western hemisphere base.
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Hmm. No Robo-Haven. I believe I know why...
ImageImage
I...still function!
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
fnord
Jedi Knight

Post by fnord »

Karza wrote:But that's the great thing about blaster bombs, they can be used for either! :)
Precision? You mob don't NEED precision with a blaster launcher!

Barn looking at you funny? No problem, one blaster bomb into the ground floor and E.T's having a real bad day. Barn ends up looking better, too.

Petrol station infested by annoying things (aliens, tax collectors, scum sucking lawyers (have I looped back around to aliens?), mother in law)? Tag the front of the servo building - the blast will secondary the fuel bowsers. Problem - solved.

Apple orchard looking decidedly shifty in the dim light?

Too much corn in that corn field?

The ghost of White Haven's beard getting you down?

Pre-emptively level the area with 5 pounds of joy and deny E.T a hiding spot.

Requisition YOUR blaster launcher today, only available from X-COM Armouries, Fnord's liquor cabinet and other authorised outlets.
A mad person thinks there's a gateway to hell in his basement. A mad genius builds one and turns it on. - CaptainChewbacca
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Dead or alive, you're coming with me.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

btw if you need more cannon fod...er personel you sign me in, perferbly on something to do with heavy weapons and/or explosives.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

I'm a Sergeant already? wow. stunbombs are sorta explosive so i'd like to be issued a small launcher in future if i dont get one already. Also can i prod our scary science team to develop some personal armour? perhaps to try and reduce the ruinous attrition our forces are suffering in the field.
STGOD SDNW4 player. Chamarran Hierarchy Catgirls in space!
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Woo! Mission complete with minimal losses worth caring about! Clearly, senior officers should remain on the airliner to prevent commissarial disciplining of troops mid-mission.

But, yeah. If there was some way to power armour, it'd be a massive boon. Especially because then all we'd need to to is salvage the brains of fallen troops and put them into animate armour, which is probably less jarring than being turned into a porta-loo of death.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.