Amateur Aerial Photography (no56k)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Akumz Razor
Youngling

Amateur Aerial Photography (no56k)

Post by Akumz Razor »

I've been lurking on these boards for quite some time, but never really have much to contribute to the in-depth discussions and debates that go on around here. I finally signed up because I felt that with my photography I might actually be able to post something interesting.

I've recently started bringing my camera with my whenever I fly, and have achieved some pretty good results. Here's some highlights:

Iowa City to Santa Barbara

Flooding on the Iowa River-

Moonbase Nebraska:

Smiling Fields-

Geologic Waves (Denver Suburbs)-

Rocky Mountain Way-

Lake Powell-

Grand Canyon-

Santa Barbara Channel Islands-

Seattle to Santa Barbara

Mercer Island & the Cascades

Lake Washington Bridge-

Seattle Sky-

Longview, WA

Snowy Fields-

Heavenly Clouds-

Point Conception-

Gilded Sea-

Santa Barbara-

To view the full sets & larger sizes of these photos I invite you to check out my Flickr page.

Critiques & criticism are most welcome!
The simplest solution takes the shortest time to write down.

"My homies!" - Shatner

"The women!!" - Spock

"He's no better than Shatner!" - Phil Hartman as Bill Clinton re: Leonard Nimoy

-cinemaphotography-
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Re: Amateur Aerial Photography (no56k)

Post by Kanastrous »

Beautiful pictures.

The 'geologic waves' image is particularly tasty.

Maybe some filtration to knock back the haze, a bit?
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

What are you shooting through? I'm sure there are others more interested in what you're shooting with, but I'm wondering about the plane.
XXXI
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

AWESOME photos. I have a few from Alaska, but the airplane window was dirty, scratched and not flat. What are you shooting through? (Are you a pilot?),
Nice stuff, I'm adding you now on flickr.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Yes, what are you shooting through? Those look high enough to require a pressurized airplane, so obviously you're shooting through a window of some sort, yet there are no scratches or glare.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Simplicius »

My guess would be a polarizing filter, since some photos still have small spots of glare that aren't colored or shaped like lens flare is. A CPL would be able to cut down most (if not all) of the reflection from most angles.

Razor, nice views. The perspective and scenes alone make these worthwhile, since setting up a photo from a moving airplane is no easy thing. Also, added you on flickr.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Very nice photos. Some of them look almost too good to be photographs - the Seattle Sky one could pass for a meticulous painting.
Akumz Razor
Youngling

Post by Akumz Razor »

Thanks for the kind words everyone! All of these shots were taken from medium sized passenger jets (in fact I think they were all CRJs) with compact point & shoot cameras. One good thing about using a camera with a small lens is I can aim through the cleanest part of those dirty airline windows. A brown smudge on the window does show up in some of the Seattle shots, but luckily it looks sort of like haze or smog in the photos. In the Lake Powell photo you can see the reflection of my jeans on the window.

I've been lucky to have flights on days with fairly clear atmospheric conditions, but all of these shots have been tinkered with in photoshop to varying degrees to cut down on haze and the blue tinting that comes from shooting from so high up.

Here's a before and after shot of Longview, WA (after in hi-res):

I'm pretty much self-taught in photoshop and I imagine someone with more experience/training would do a better job cleaning up these pics, especially the Iowa-SB set. My color correcting skills have greatly improved since then and the Seattle flight pics look much 'crisper' as a result.
Last edited by Akumz Razor on 2009-02-08 02:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

"My homies!" - Shatner

"The women!!" - Spock

-cinemaphotography-
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

All of these shots were taken from medium sized passenger jets (in fact I think they were all CRJs) with compact point & shoot cameras.
Now that is impressive. Do you just fly a lot or something?
Akumz Razor
Youngling

Post by Akumz Razor »

I guess I fly a decent amount, and I was always the little kid glued to window the whole time growing up.

These two sets were taken over the course of two round-trips: two flights on the Seattle trip and a total of four on the Iowa trip (layover in Denver). I lucked out with my seating placement & was able to get consistent angles throughout the various flights.

Aside from using cameras that were more or less-full auto, I'm able to quickly frame dynamic shots thanks to the fact that most of my photographic training has been with video cameras. I'll post some of my videos here in the near future. Link in sig for those who don't want to wait.

"My homies!" - Shatner

"The women!!" - Spock

-cinemaphotography-
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Akumz Razor wrote:I've been lucky to have flights on days with fairly clear atmospheric conditions, but all of these shots have been tinkered with in photoshop to varying degrees to cut down on haze and the blue tinting that comes from shooting from so high up.
The haze is usually a combination of water vapor and/or pollution. Very cold conditions and very dry conditions result in less of it.

The "blue tinting" is basically the blue light scattering thing done by oxygen in the atmosphere - the reason the sky is blue, basically. Put enough sky between you and something else, your camera starts capturing that blue tint. Only way to get away from that is to shoot pictures in space. If you are ever so fortunate to do that you MUST post the pictures here!
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

nitpick - blue skies are mostly a product of nitrogen refraction, not oxygen (the atmosphere being mostly nitrogen). The Tyndall effect, it's called.
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Really? I thought it was oxygen. Could it be some of both?

starslayer
Jedi Knight

Post by starslayer »

There are three main scattering types in the atmosphere: Rayleigh, Mie, and the Tyndall Effect. Most of the color of the sky comes from the upper atmosphere, and is thus Rayleigh scattering, where the particles are much smaller than the wavelength of light being scattered (i.e., N2 and O2 molecules; they are about the same size, and thus scatter sunlight in roughly the same way, and so can treated as identical for our purposes). Closer to the ground, Mie scattering dominates, as tiny dust grains and other particles can be suspended in the air, and these are about as large as the wavelengths of visible light. Mie scattering is also much stronger than Rayleigh scattering; the latter only dominates in very tenuous environments (but the upper atmosphere is far, far larger than the lower bit). The Tyndall Effect really only comes into play with things like clouds and fog; most of time, the dust is not thick enough for it to dominate. Thus, the blue in Akumz' photos is a mix of Mie and Tyndall scattering, with the majority of it being Mie scattering.
Kanastrous wrote:nitpick - blue skies are mostly a product of nitrogen refraction, not oxygen (the atmosphere being mostly nitrogen). The Tyndall effect, it's called.
No. If it were refraction, we would only see it in the direction of the Sun (air's IOR is so close to 1 that most of the time it can be treated as a vacuum). I already covered why it isn't the Tyndall Effect for the most part.
Broomstick wrote:Really? I thought it was oxygen. Could it be some of both?
Yes, it is due to both (see above), but mostly nitrogen since the air is 78% that, while oxygen makes up only 21% of the total.
Akumz Razor
Youngling

Post by Akumz Razor »

Interesting atmospheric information. Does anyone know if there are any actual haze reduction tutorials out there? My own methods are fairly haphazard.

"My homies!" - Shatner

"The women!!" - Spock

-cinemaphotography-
Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Simplicius »

I ought to ask your method for normalizing colors, as it may be haphazard but unlike my attempts, it is successful.

(For the record, my issue is dealing with the orange cast of scanned negatives, which becomes bluish on inversion. If I let the scanner software handle it, I have the problem that too much blue is taken away if the photo is heavily gray or blue, e.g. on the water. I am just not especially skilled with image manipulation.)