Appalonia Nature Reserve/Beach Photos [NF56K]

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Appalonia Nature Reserve/Beach Photos [NF56K]

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

I finally have a few minutes to filter and upload some of my recent photography, so here's the first batch - some photos I took last week at the beach. Lovely weather, lovely beach, and some interesting weirdos to take photos off :P.
IMG_0121
IMG_0117
IMG_0107
IMG_0105
Surfer 1
Surfer 2
IMG_0046
IMG_0125
IMG_0063
Helicopter
IMG_0042
Dog Walking
Cactus
IMG_0010
rails
Beach panorama

Comments are welcome as always :)
Last edited by The Grim Squeaker on 2009-02-10 01:47pm, edited 1 time in total.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Akumz Razor
Youngling

Re: Appalonia Nature Reserve/Beach Photos [NF56K]

Post by Akumz Razor »

Great stuff. I especially love the lightbulb photo. Did that bulb actually manage to survive on the beach?
The simplest solution takes the shortest time to write down.

"My homies!" - Shatner

"The women!!" - Spock

"He's no better than Shatner!" - Phil Hartman as Bill Clinton re: Leonard Nimoy

-cinemaphotography-
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Akumz Razor wrote:Great stuff. I especially love the lightbulb photo. Did that bulb actually manage to survive on the beach?
Yup. Found it there lying on the ground. (Also, the floating white board and the dude on it? Happened without my intervention, no staging needed ;))
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Simplicius »

DEATH wrote:IMG_0121
Snapshot.
IMG_0117
Snapshot. Too far away from the rocks to use them effectively, while the rest of the frame is a lot of unused space. Rocks that aren't massive geological formations need closeups, because the interest lies in their texture and shape. They don't even necessarily need color.
IMG_0107
This isn't a photo of the tiny guy, because he's way too tiny in the frame, but you are too far away from the cliff to show off the texture well. To do this photo better, you should have used a longer focal length and framed it so the upper-right corner landed on the cliff's edge, as far inward as possible. This would have made the guy larger in the frame, eliminated the wasted space at the top and showed off the texture of the rock face without sacrificing the sense of scale.
IMG_0105
Snapshot.
Surfer 1
Snapshot.
Surfer 2
Snapshot. The photo itself is neither weird nor expressive, so in other words you failed to capitalize on the weirdness offered you by the guy. If you only sought to advertise underpants or Styrofoam or both, you weren't close enough.
IMG_0046
Nice idea; would have been better if it were later or earlier in the day for warmer light and longer shadows. Seriously, you should try to travel and shoot more deliberately. Don't only take your camera places and see what turns up - plan ahead and make the location work for you. Maps, tide charts, and weather forecasts are your friends.
IMG_0125
Snapshot. Not close enough; sun working against you.
IMG_0063
The location has potential, but this version of it isn't doing anything for me.
Helicopter
Snapshot.
IMG_0042
This one is saved by the high vantage point, shifting color and the repetition of horizontal lines. It could have been a photo of empty space, but the angle is right so it's actually a photo of the surface of the sea. It's almost worthy of a dentist's waiting room or something. Horizon's a bit crooked, though.
Dog Walking
Another good, basic idea here. I think you ought to have used a longer focal length, though, and framed it so the dog was more equidistant from the bottom and right frame edges. On the other hand, you balanced the water's edge and the incoming wave well, and framing for the dog could have interfered with that unless you made the shot at a precise moment. Oh well, you win some, you lose some.
Cactus
Snapshot.
IMG_0010
I think the minimalism is all right here, but the tree is crooked, which isn't. Also, you've got too much brightness in the lower left corner. Again, make the environment work for you.
rails
I think the grass is too dark and too busy to be a good backdrop here. Another potentially good idea, though; might have looked good in black and white if the entirety of the backdrop had been light concrete.
Beach panorama
Wiiiiide snapshot.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Thanks for taking the time to critique!
Photography