2008 NFL Season Thread- The Road to Super Bowl XLIII

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Re: 2008 NFL Season Thread- The Road to Super Bowl XLIII

Post by Dark Flame »

weemadando wrote:
havokeff wrote: If Ray Lewis goes to the Jets, I think Farve will give it one more go.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
QFT. That would be the worst thing to ever happen to football.

Also, does Peppers just not understand the concept of a 3-4? Moron.

And hopefully the Browns can pick up at least one of those big name free agents. *crosses fingers*. I'm personally hoping for Bart Scott or Terrell Suggs, but I don't know how realistic either of those are for us.
"Have you ever been fucked in the ass? because if you have you will understand why we have that philosophy"
- Alyrium Denryle, on HAB's policy of "Too much is almost enough"

"The jacketed ones are, but we're talking carefully-placed shits here. "-out of context, by Stuart
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Dark Flame wrote:Also, does Peppers just not understand the concept of a 3-4? Moron.
Care to elaborate?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

havokeff wrote:
Dark Flame wrote:Also, does Peppers just not understand the concept of a 3-4? Moron.
Care to elaborate?
As I understand it, in a 3-4 the defensive end is supposed to tie up blockers to allow the linebackers to roam free and make plays. I read on ESPN that he wanted to switch to a 3-4 to improve his sack totals, which wouldn't happen because his job would be to attract blockers, not rush the passer. Not to mention that his size isn't really conducive to taking on offensive linemen, he's better at going around them.
"Have you ever been fucked in the ass? because if you have you will understand why we have that philosophy"

"The jacketed ones are, but we're talking carefully-placed shits here. "-out of context, by Stuart
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Sooo you haven't given any thought to the fact that he wants to move to the outside linebacker position, which in a 3-4, is effectively a defensive end, but allows more freedom as he isn't automatically engaged with a blocker?

*facepalm* in 3... 2... 1...
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

That's true, but I assumed he wanted to stay at his current position. I guess that might prove that assuming really does make an ass out of myself. I guess time will tell what position he'll play and how hard that facepalm needs to be. :wink:

Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Elfdart wrote:The 49ers have a new OC: Jimmy Raye.

Hav, enjoy your Martyball! :lol:
I scrolled too quickly and see "The 49ers have a new OC: Jimmy Page."

That would be, ah, interesting.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I'll believe it when he's in the ground.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Dark Flame wrote:
havokeff wrote:
Care to elaborate?
As I understand it, in a 3-4 the defensive end is supposed to tie up blockers to allow the linebackers to roam free and make plays. I read on ESPN that he wanted to switch to a 3-4 to improve his sack totals, which wouldn't happen because his job would be to attract blockers, not rush the passer. Not to mention that his size isn't really conducive to taking on offensive linemen, he's better at going around them.
True, but Peppers is talented enough to play as a 3-4 DE and still rush the passer like Howie Long and Lee Williams used to do. Peppers is better than either of them, by the way.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

A point I should have made. Thanks ED.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

So I'm watching NFL Network's Top 10 Greatest Comebacks of All Time.

Clocking in at #4 is the 2002 49ers Vs The NY Giants.

For anyone who saw or knows this game, it was crazy. NY was up 35 - 14, when SF began the comeback ending up 39 - 38 with one last play for NY. A field goal.

Not to mention the side story of the snapper that was basically perfect his whole career, retired and then came back out of retirement THAT WEEK that muffed 2 snaps, one of which was on this last play, for the Giants in this game, there is another aspect of the play that happened which was just wacky.

After the muffed snap, the holder grabbed the ball and started sprinting right. He had four 49ers bearing down on him at full speed, and right as they were about to nail him, he heaved this duck up towards the endzone.

Five things are important about this part of the play. The receiver that was trying to catch the pass was short of the endzone. The receiver was a lineman. He wasn't going to catch the pass. The defender covering him drug hum down, with his back to the passer. There was a flag.

Now I remember jumping up and down on my bed with my voice almost gone watching this game, but when I saw that flag, I knew that the comeback had been averted. The Giants were going to get their field goal attempt moved to the one yard line and the kicker would have to purposely miss from that close for it to be no good. (One more bad snap was always a possibility though. :twisted:) Pass Interference was going to be called, and that would be that.

Ineligible Man Down Field. :shock: :wtf: :shock: HOLY SHIT!!! GAME OVER!!! WE WON!!!

Amazing game.

Now what I just learned and the point of this post.

Mike Pierra, the president of officiating for the NFL, looked over the last play and it turns out that the Ineligible Man Down Field, turned out to be Eligible and it SHOULD have indeed been called Pass Interference. :lol: So, the NFL fined the ref and issued an apology.

Now, when Steve Marriucci, the head coach of the 49ers at the time, came down to give his Monday press conference. At the end, a reporter told him that an apology was issued and the wrong call was made in Sunday's game. After a few moments of pause, Mooch said, "Bummer." And left the podium.

"Bummer."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

I nearly threw the remote through the TV after that game. It was fucking garbage. The 49ers recent struggles are all karma for that game.

It wasn't redeemed for me until we won the Super Bowl last year. And look, the 49ers are now climbing back towards respectability now that the game has been redeemed...
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Whaaaa whaaaaa whaaaaa. :lol:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

Well you guys were right. Peppers specifically said he wants to be an OLB.

*facepalm*

And what are all of you thinking about this year's draft?

I'm hoping the Browns get Aaron Curry but I'd take Mauluga, Everette Brown, or even Brian Orakpo with the 5th pick.

Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

I'm curious to see what Detroit does. Defensive line, offensive line, and quarterback are all needs that need to be assessed, I'm just not sure which of those they'll try for with the first pick. If they go for a receiver, they'll find about three thousand bodies in the Detroit River the next morning.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

No, just however many bodies are equivalent to the ownership and front office staff. :twisted:

For the money that the 1st pick is going to get, Detroit will almost certainly take a QB. Stafford looks to be the front runner at the moment, but I don't really start paying attention to the incoming class until the combine.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Carolina has placed the Franchise tag on Julius Peppers.

The Raiders signed Nnamdi to a 3yr/45-50 mil deal. That actually makes sens though, because Nnamdi was thrown at 27 times last year, and gave up 8 completions.
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
"Mix'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights."
-Gen. George Thomas, Union Army of the Cumberland
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

I'm more impressed by the fact that teams only threw at him 27 times (1.6875 per game). :shock:

The fact that he gave up an average of one completion every other game is unbelievable.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Elfdart wrote:I'm more impressed by the fact that teams only threw at him 27 times (1.6875 per game). :shock:

The fact that he gave up an average of one completion every other game is unbelievable.
LOVE the new AV/sig combo. :lol:

Deion Sanders has been touting Namdi as the best CB in the league for almost two full years, ahead of Champ, Woodson and Harris.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

One reason he doesn't have many passes thrown his way is because the Raitards can't stop the run.
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

Free agency is now over 15 hours old.

Notable news so far:
Albert Haynesworth signed a 7 year/$100 million deal with the Redskins.
Bart Scott is expected to sign with the Jets. Last update was that he gave the Ravens the chance to match the offer.
Browns trade TE Winslow to the Buccaneers for draft picks. And they damn well better be good draft picks!! :evil:

Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Vrabel went to KC.
Stacy Andrews is now an eagle.
The Bart Scott/NYJ saga continues.
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
"Mix'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights."
-Gen. George Thomas, Union Army of the Cumberland
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Rumors say Brian Dawkins will be playing in Denver next year. That will be strange to see.
That NOS Guy
Jedi Council Member

Post by That NOS Guy »

Qwerty 42 wrote:Rumors say Brian Dawkins will be playing in Denver next year. That will be strange to see.
Life simply isn't worth living anymore. Goodbye cruel world.
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

That NOS Guy wrote:
Qwerty 42 wrote:Rumors say Brian Dawkins will be playing in Denver next year. That will be strange to see.
Life simply isn't worth living anymore. Goodbye cruel world.
I'm curious to see what his reception will be during the Bronco game in Philly.