NHL 2008/2009 Season

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Re: NHL 2008/2009 Season

Post by Burak Gazan »

Geez, it was 7-1 when I turned it off :shock: Talk about running up a score, this should really make MacTavish a happy camper next practice :P And the Leafs get dismantled 6-1 by the Wild, bit of a bruising for Justin Pogge called up from the Marlies. 15 stops out of only 21 shots, a .71 save percentage ... definitely needs more work there

And I see the NHL's suspension stupidity has immediate consequences, Detroit loses to Columbus 3-2 in overtime; Nash with the natural hat trick. That one point could loom pretty large in about 2 1/2 months.....
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Melnyk eats loco weed, goes crazy in spades

:P

Seriously, given the state of the team, I can maybe see sticking up for them, ok. But to suggest they can win 26-27 games out of 37 remaining? I want to know where he getting his drugs, boyo....
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Burak Gazan wrote:Melnyk eats loco weed, goes crazy in spades

:P

Seriously, given the state of the team, I can maybe see sticking up for them, ok. But to suggest they can win 26-27 games out of 37 remaining? I want to know where he getting his drugs, boyo....
He thinks he's Bruce :D
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Well, Buffalo should have saved some of those goals from last night, as Calgary wasn't nearly as slow moving a target. Cammalleri's hat trick alone was sufficient, as the Flames prevailed 5-2; some great stuff from Kyp when it was needed too.

And the Vancouver spiral continues, 7 in a row now, 8 at home... not quite what the Sundin acquisition fans had in mind at all I suspect. Interesting game, they were ahead 3-1 on the Preds, when in a smart coaching move, Nashville called a time out to slow things down, and rally the troops. Worked perfectly, they stormed back, tying the game on a couple power play goals (one courtesy of Sundin...) then going ahead for good in the 3rd, and adding an empty netter. Some commentary on TSN suggesting thats the last straw for Alain Vignault. We'll see, but they not doing what everyone (present company excepted :P ) thought they would.

And Ducks fans? You got screwed by homer zebras, people ; not a good night at all -- even hitting that idiot ref in the face with the puck not sufficient compensation.
Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

:lol:

Harsh :)
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Burak Gazan wrote: And Ducks fans? You got screwed by homer zebras, people ; not a good night at all -- even hitting that idiot ref in the face with the puck not sufficient compensation.
We're used to it.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Yeah, but it's still a fuck-up and glaring homer bullshit

Sens fire Hartsburg

Well, yet another brilliant move by Murray, I'm sure this will turn things around straightaway :roll: If this fucking outfit had dynamite for brains, they couldn't blow there nose. Does ANYONE think this collection of prima donna assholes is coachable by anyone? But of course, in the NHL, its the coach's fault

Habs lose Lang, Latendresse in loss to Bruins

Owch ; that gives me pain just thinking about that. Was kind of a shame, but those 1912 -era uniforms kept making me think of prison duds from old movies, a somewhat bizzare look at best :)
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

Burak Gazan wrote:Yeah, but it's still a fuck-up and glaring homer bullshit

Sens fire Hartsburg

Well, yet another brilliant move by Murray, I'm sure this will turn things around straightaway :roll: If this fucking outfit had dynamite for brains, they couldn't blow there nose. Does ANYONE think this collection of prima donna assholes is coachable by anyone? But of course, in the NHL, its the coach's fault
The plus side is that they have Cory Clouston coming up for a while. He's a good coach who's been able to handle a really crummy situation talent wise in Binghamton really well, and he'll probably be able to manage the situation as best as you could expect anyone to. That being said, firing Hartsburg is idiotic, especially considering he was supposed to represent a clean sweep from the past and the beginning of a new era. Can't really begin that new era when you fire the man who's supposed to bring it about SEVEN MONTHS INTO HIS JOB. Morons.
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

I think Bob McCowan put it best when he said on the radio show this afternoon "the GM should have been gassed, not the coach" . Seriously, how many coaches they planning on going through before this slippery fucker gets the gate? What makes this even more galling, is that fucking moron of an owner, not even a week ago giving his quaint little "get your own bomb and blow yourself up" comment. I'm not an Ottawa fan by any means at all, but seeing a team that should be doing far better flailing about like this is just plain stupid.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Burak Gazan wrote:I think Bob McCowan put it best when he said on the radio show this afternoon "the GM should have been gassed, not the coach" . Seriously, how many coaches they planning on going through before this slippery fucker gets the gate? What makes this even more galling, is that fucking moron of an owner, not even a week ago giving his quaint little "get your own bomb and blow yourself up" comment. I'm not an Ottawa fan by any means at all, but seeing a team that should be doing far better flailing about like this is just plain stupid.
That't probably the worst thing is that they have some decent D while Heatley and Alfredsson give you enough of an offensive push that they should be able to make a game out of things. The goalie situation is obviously in flux but they should be doing better than they are.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Panthers Zednik beats Leafs on Anniversary of Neck Injury

On the one hand, the Leafs folded like a cheap suitcase, but its nice to see this for Zednik after almost getting killed last year :)

TSN had the feed from the Boston-San Jose game last night (rare to see them in this area) and if that was a possible future series, it would be pretty interesting. These two teams are the best in the league, and it showed last night. (Not to rain on Detroit's parade, but they havent really hit a skid this season -yet -- and they will) The Canucks seem to be recovering from their death spiral, but when you look at the standings in the west, nothing is going to be settled there probably before the last week if not last game of the season.
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Oilers relentless in pounding of road weary Canadiens

You know, after letting Patrick Roy eat shit in a pounding to the Wings all those years ago (causing his immediate demand for a trade) you would think they had learned something. Not a fucking chance. Here's Price, not in the best state of mind given the last couple weeks, and they let him eat the whole fucking onion? Plus, it looked like the team on the ice would have rather been out getting a latte, or checking their portfolios. Jesus! :wtf:

Niedermayer scores twice to power Ducks past Flames

Not a bad game, but I hope the NHL has a look at that Phanuef elbow to the head they never called. That was bullshit, and needs to be hammered down hard. I'm sure if someone had done that to Iginla they would have been screaming for blood.
Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

Burak Gazan wrote:Oilers relentless in pounding of road weary Canadiens

You know, after letting Patrick Roy eat shit in a pounding to the Wings all those years ago (causing his immediate demand for a trade) you would think they had learned something. Not a fucking chance. Here's Price, not in the best state of mind given the last couple weeks, and they let him eat the whole fucking onion? Plus, it looked like the team on the ice would have rather been out getting a latte, or checking their portfolios. Jesus! :wtf:

Niedermayer scores twice to power Ducks past Flames

Not a bad game, but I hope the NHL has a look at that Phanuef elbow to the head they never called. That was bullshit, and needs to be hammered down hard. I'm sure if someone had done that to Iginla they would have been screaming for blood.
The one on Andrew Ebbet?
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

The one on Andrew Ebbet?
Yes. I cant figure why a defenceman as talented as Phaneuf needs to do shit like that. What I really cant figure is how both Zebras miss a fucking hack job like that when they usually call someone for tripping over the blue line from 100 feet away :roll:
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Burak Gazan wrote:
The one on Andrew Ebbet?
Yes. I cant figure why a defenceman as talented as Phaneuf needs to do shit like that. What I really cant figure is how both Zebras miss a fucking hack job like that when they usually call someone for tripping over the blue line from 100 feet away :roll:
Obviously they were watching Chris Pronger the whole time and missed it.

I watched that game and that hit and fucking believe me I was screaming and cussing up and down my living room. Phaenuf is a bitch and he does have a little history with our club in terms hard hitting and jawing. Pronger or Perry would have gotten a game at LEAST.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

As a side note, it is great to see Andrew Ebbett getting his due at the NHL level, while he isn't in the same level as Bobby Ryan, I think Ebbet and Ryan could be an amazing pair forming a line along with Perry and Getzlaf, put a couple more talented young players with those four andwe've got two young and awesome lines that will make us competitive for years. The defense will have to be rebuilt majorly soon however.

Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Game one tonight, Leafs pound Pittsburgh 6-2 ; yes, 6-2, thats not a typo :shock: Sid looked like he not feeling the best (flu bug or something, just saw him briefly in dressing room and definitely sounded way under the weather) but yikes, from the cup final last year to now, likely missing the playoffs. Sad, but at least they seem to have more poise than Ottawa handling that. (having said that, they prob execute their coach tomorrow :P )

Ron McLean being a buffoon again, clearly moving a Bettman-esque agenda , with the brilliant fucking idea of allowing goals to count IF you get the shot away before the clock expires....you know, just like in basketball... :evil: I swear, some people just need beaten on a regular basis for shit like this.

Game two coming up, Flames in Phoenix
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Malkin to Ducks in deadline deal 8)

I wish...

Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Darth Fanboy wrote:Malkin to Ducks in deadline deal 8)

I wish...

I think that they would burn down the igloo over that one :lol:
Flames defeat the Coyotes 7-5 in a somewhat sloppy affair all around
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Bryzgalov has been very hit or miss this year, either he is giving up seven goals in a game or he is shutting hte other team out, I think he has done each of those three times this year.

CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

SO Mike Green is officially this shiznit. 8 striaght games with a goal for a D-man setting a new record, he is up to 22 goals for the season which puts him 8 up on the nearest competition amongst D-men, had 6 straight multi-point games before last night, and oh yeah he missed a couple game early this season and is still the points leader amongst the D-line (though admittedly only 2nd for +/-). Really glad for Greenie as it gives the Caps yet anohter threat and coming from a direction that no one suspects until its too late.

-Kingdom of Heaven
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

having said that, they prob execute their coach tomorrow
Called it :P :

BREAKING NEWS:

The Pittsburgh Penguins have fired head coach Michel Therrien. Wilkes/Barre Penguins' coach Dan Bylsma will take over as interim head coach.

more data as it comes up
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

CmdrWilkens wrote:SO Mike Green is officially this shiznit. 8 striaght games with a goal for a D-man setting a new record, he is up to 22 goals for the season which puts him 8 up on the nearest competition amongst D-men, had 6 straight multi-point games before last night, and oh yeah he missed a couple game early this season and is still the points leader amongst the D-line (though admittedly only 2nd for +/-). Really glad for Greenie as it gives the Caps yet anohter threat and coming from a direction that no one suspects until its too late.

Bravo to Mike Green, great stuff going almost unheralded; they had him on the Hockey Central show on Sportsnet Friday at noon , coming on and chatting with the boys and Paul Coffey. Was a nice touch, Coffey wishing him the best and noting the best he ever did for a streak was 2 or 3 games; mind you, he also got those 48 goals that one time, but he was playing with a couple guys named Gretzky and Messier, so thats not a fair comparison :wink:

Penguins fire coach Michel Therrien

Well, I'm sure they going to say all the cliched things, but I dont see them making the playoffs with only 25 games to go; the weakness of this team has always between the pipes, and axing the coach wont fix it anytime soon
Atavarius
Padawan Learner

Post by Atavarius »

Burak Gazan wrote:
CmdrWilkens wrote:SO Mike Green is officially this shiznit. 8 striaght games with a goal for a D-man setting a new record, he is up to 22 goals for the season which puts him 8 up on the nearest competition amongst D-men, had 6 straight multi-point games before last night, and oh yeah he missed a couple game early this season and is still the points leader amongst the D-line (though admittedly only 2nd for +/-). Really glad for Greenie as it gives the Caps yet anohter threat and coming from a direction that no one suspects until its too late.

Bravo to Mike Green, great stuff going almost unheralded; they had him on the Hockey Central show on Sportsnet Friday at noon , coming on and chatting with the boys and Paul Coffey. Was a nice touch, Coffey wishing him the best and noting the best he ever did for a streak was 2 or 3 games; mind you, he also got those 48 goals that one time, but he was playing with a couple guys named Gretzky and Messier, so thats not a fair comparison :wink:

Penguins fire coach Michel Therrien

Well, I'm sure they going to say all the cliched things, but I dont see them making the playoffs with only 25 games to go; the weakness of this team has always between the pipes, and axing the coach wont fix it anytime soon
Its no surprise to anyone living in Pittsburgh, as people have been calling for his head for awhile now. Strangely they kept Mike Yeo on as an assistant. He was specifically the PP coach, which has been atrocious.

The weakness of the Pens is not having a true #1 defensive defensemen. Gonchar, Whitney, Letang, Goligoski (currently in the AHL) are all offensive defensemen. Gonchar is about the only one with a solid defensive game, though Letang has showed some promise. The rest of their D corps are all 6-7 guys, with perhaps

Also, I can't remember who brought it up earlier in the thread, but this team really does miss the grit Ryan Malone brought. Also, losing Hossa hurt a great deal more then I figured at the time.

All in all, this team has ALOT to do during the offseason.