I Got Tattoos!

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Re: I Got Tattoos!

Post by Kanastrous »

Hav, given your abilities I'm sort of surprised you didn't get inked with designs of your own creation.
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

You have no idea how many back designs and sleeves I have drawn. I have two problems.

Problem #1: I haven't found anyone that I like that can duplicate my style closely enough.

Problem #2: In the time it has taken me to search out an appropriate artist, tattoos have become so cliche and prevalent, that every douche I see has a full sleeve they just got last weekend at the local Hot Topic. So, now I just feel like a douche as well getting anymore.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

What's perplexing is that near-total lack of taste or design sense that seems increasingly prevalent out there when it comes to tattoos. Not to mention the painful unoriginality; last time I took a walk on Venice Beach I saw four (apparently-unacquainted) girls with the same lower-back piece. And these were for-real tattoos, not henna...
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

Phantasee wrote:
Kanastrous wrote:
Phantasee wrote:Pounder is clearly a gangsta.

An Irish gangsta.
An Irish Egyptian gangsta.
I was thinking more along the lines of an Irish gangsta in an Egyptian gang.

Now, the question is, would he be in Ireland, as the local guide? Or would he be in Egypt? Pounder running among the sand dunes and pyramids, trying to carry out a hit... That's an interesting idea.
I don't think I'd ever leave Ireland, so the Egyptians would be coming to me. Sadly that particular design gets me battered occasionally. Red and Blue tattoo with my pasty white skin gets the colours of the Union Flag, and apparently that makes me some kind of Orange Order bigot. I used to be an Orange Order bigot but I grew out of that when my balls dropped.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Yup. My philosophy on tattoos has always been two fold. They either need to have personal meaning and represent something you truly love.(Star Wars :D)

Or you need to be shitty drunk and get 'em on a whim. :lol:

As, I have never had that whim, it is only the two I love so far. :)

The generic tattoo scene, i.e. tattoos that are part of a style that did not define the style, or are gotten as an accessory, disgusts me.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Essence of Owl
Redshirt

Post by Essence of Owl »

havokeff wrote:NERD TATTOOS!! I am so there!

Bitchin'! What's it say?

Edit - just figured it out "starwars"
Last edited by Essence of Owl on 2009-02-13 05:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

I hear you bleed really heavily if you get tattooed with alcohol in your blood. The guy who does mine is very selective and won't do your tattoo even if he smells last nights stale drink on your breath.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

Looks kind of like the alphabet Steve Gallacci created for Albedo. Which I can't remember how to read.
Essence of Owl
Redshirt

Post by Essence of Owl »

Kanastrous wrote:Looks kind of like the alphabet Steve Gallacci created for Albedo. Which I can't remember how to read.
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/starw ... h-GMSR.png
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

Lord Pounder wrote:I hear you bleed really heavily if you get tattooed with alcohol in your blood. The guy who does mine is very selective and won't do your tattoo even if he smells last nights stale drink on your breath.
Yup, it's a blood thinner so even things like aspirin or Tylenol will do it. I took a couple toradol before I had mine and the fellow commented that I was bleeding more than normal. He's also one of the tattoo artists that won't do them if you are stoned or drunk, he has a big sign on his door to that affect.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

Every tattoo parlor I have visited displays such a sign. Legal liability, I bet.
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

There are only a couple things I'd get tattooed, but I'm never sure about how much I want them, so I don't get around to doing it. It's served me well so far: I don't have a single tattoo I'm unhappy with.

I do the same thing when I'm shopping for something, if I really want it, I'll still really want it a few days to a week later. So then I get it. No impulse shopping, no impulse tattooing.
XXXI
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

There's this performance artist named ManWoman (don't ask) who related that when he went to a tattoo artist asking for a flaming vertical eye to be inked into the center of his forehead, the tattooist refused - then said that if he'd draw it on his forehead every day for a year, and still wanted it, well, then he could have the tattoo.

No impulse shopping there, either.
Akkleptos
Jedi Knight

Post by Akkleptos »

havokeff wrote:tattoos have become so cliche and prevalent, that every douche I see has a full sleeve
'Nuff said.

Seriously, other than information on known allergies, blood type, organ-donor status, military ID, and some other useful applications, I think tatoos are just... well... dumb. Sure, needles might be sterile and all at your favourite tatoo parlour, but for all you know, it might be toxic car paint you're getting into your skin. Not to mention you might regret something permanently drawn on your skin after a certain fad/ personal interest has faded away. And they are costly to remove as well.

Besides, havokeff sums it all up quite well.

The only tatoo i'd like near my skin: Tatoo (Russian: Taty).
Life in Commodore 64:
10 OPEN "EYES",1,1
20 GET UP$:IF UP$="" THEN 20
30 GOTO BATHROOM
GENERATION 29
Don't like what I'm saying?
Take it up with my representative:
Zablorg
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zablorg »

They're working on a tattoo form that injects itsy bitsy plastic capsules full of colored, absorbable ink into the skin, which makes up the actual tattoo. Then when you want to remove it, they expose the tattoo to a certain radiation that pops the capsules and releases the ink.

I imagine "experimental" tattoos will become a great deal popular after that's avaliable.
Jupiter Oak Evolution!
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

I dunno. The permanence of a tattoo is part of its appeal. To me, anyway. Reducing it to a casual be-rid-of-it-when-it-gets-old kind of thing makes me wonder, why not just get a rub-on?
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

I got a tattoo back in February 2006 and I regret it immensely. Not only because the tattoo is unoriginal, but because I have to see it every day and when I look at it I feel like shit.
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

Wow. I'm really sorry to hear that.

How long did you think it over before having it applied?
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

Stark wrote:Dude, you need to invest in some skin care, fucking STAT.
Could be an allergic reaction to his laundry detergent. Either that or he's making his shirts last a little longer then he should between washes.
:D
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Spyder wrote:
Stark wrote:Dude, you need to invest in some skin care, fucking STAT.
Could be an allergic reaction to his laundry detergent. Either that or he's making his shirts last a little longer then he should between washes.
No, I just have allergic reactions to just about everything. It's nowhere near as bad as the shot makes it to be. (Look at a shot of me from the user pictures thread for me in decent light)
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

DEATH wrote: No, I just have allergic reactions to just about everything. It's nowhere near as bad as the shot makes it to be. (Look at a shot of me from the user pictures thread for me in decent light)
Spin echo was actually having a similar problem, switching a hypoallergenic washing powder worked wonders.
:D
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Spyder wrote:
DEATH wrote: No, I just have allergic reactions to just about everything. It's nowhere near as bad as the shot makes it to be. (Look at a shot of me from the user pictures thread for me in decent light)
Spin echo was actually having a similar problem, switching a hypoallergenic washing powder worked wonders.
We use that washing powder anyway.

Thanks for the concern, but really, my skin is fine!
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.