"Doctor Who" Anime!

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

"Doctor Who" Anime!

Post by Big Orange »

I really like these clips of Doctor Who characters done in anime style. It includes sound bites from the original Doctor Who.
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

'I think it's gone a little bit wrong.' - The Doctor
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Re: "Doctor Who" Anime!

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

That, was one ofthe most BADASS things I have ever seen.

I mean sure it was full of various cliches, the various Companions being reduced to scantily clad big breasted chicks DID irk me... But, So much ELSE was pure AWESOME
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Wow.. i'm not even a fan of the show and that looked really good.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Surprisingly not too bad, though some of the ideas seemed. . .well, out of place. Kind of surprised they went with Pertwee's Doctor, but I guess he makes the most sense if you want fisticuffs.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

I am left speechless. Although his animation is definitely better than the ones used in David Tennant's cartoon version, and this is despite me not being a particular fan of the anime.

That being said, if by some fluke BBC decided to create another DW animated story and tasked someone with a similar style and equal talent, I might consider getting it.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
andrewgpaul
Jedi Council Member

Post by andrewgpaul »

Technically, very good. I'm not a fan of the beanpole proportions, though. Or the Master's '80s shoulderpads. :)
"So you want to live on a planet?"
"No. I think I'd find it a bit small and wierd."
"Aren't they dangerous? Don't they get hit by stuff?"
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

I was disappointed when the chick in her underwear appeared, as well as the scene with the sword and dude shooting sideways with the pistol. Call me a snob purist, but those two don't stupid elements don't need to be adopted into an anime version of Dr.Who.

Otherwise, it was awesome. The scenes were pretty awesome, except the two I described above.

EDIT: Actually, if that scene with the katana and the gangsta-wannabe would be some yakuza thugs getting their ass handed to them, I could forgive that.

Also, call me a purist, but is it more or does the doctor appear much more violent than he usually is?
Last edited by Zixinus on 2009-02-23 03:58pm, edited 1 time in total.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

That.. was pretty damned good. Couple of iffy bits that the people above have pointed out, but other than that, awesome. I'm almost tempted to keep tabs on this guy's work.

Edit: Looks like he's also going for some of the less recurring villains. I, for one, welcome our malevolent not quite Egyptian overlord.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Zixinus wrote:
Also, call me a purist, but is it more or does the doctor appear much more violent than he usually is?
Pertwee's Doctor was rather big on showing off his physical skills, so it's mostly in character for the 2nd Doctor.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

That was a fairly solid amount awesome there. I like the cybermen especially.

I also have to echo the WTF on turning his assistants into bikini clad teenagers
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

General Zod wrote:
Zixinus wrote:
Pertwee's Doctor was rather big on showing off his physical skills, so it's mostly in character for the 2nd Doctor.
Third doctor actually.

I have to echo that bikini clad assistant part. It just made things look out of place.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Akkleptos
Jedi Knight

Post by Akkleptos »

phred wrote:That was a fairly solid amount awesome there.
I second that.
Crossroads Inc. wrote:I mean sure it was full of various cliches, the various Companions being reduced to scantily clad big breasted chicks DID irk me... But, So much ELSE was pure AWESOME
What? Are you by any means implying that scantily clad big-breasted anime girls can match... say, Freema Agyeman's and Billie Piper's acting?

HERESY!!!
Zixinius wrote:Also, call me a purist, but is it more or does the doctor appear much more violent than he usually is?
Well, he's always been more of a science guy than an action hero, yes, but after 900+ years roaming around time-space, you'd reasonably expect to have picked up some mean martial arts skills, wouldn't you? I would. It's a refreshing break from the usual canon, IMHO.
Life in Commodore 64:
10 OPEN "EYES",1,1
20 GET UP$:IF UP$="" THEN 20
30 GOTO BATHROOM
GENERATION 29
Don't like what I'm saying?
Take it up with my representative:
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Zixinus wrote:Also, call me a purist, but is it more or does the doctor appear much more violent than he usually is?
The first Doctor expressed considerable glee after schooling a Roman assassin in hand to hand combat and tossing him out the window, though he once stated that he disliked weapons. The third Doctor was a practioner of Venusian aikido and frequently engaged in physical combat with people (most notably he is thrown into a pit fight in Peladon). The fourth Doctor was adept in combat as well, dominating a swordfight against the best duellist of a planet, got into a pretty serious fight with a clone of himself, and once almost snapped a man's neck.

The Doctor isn't exactly a pacifist, he just doesn't resort to violence where necessary. The second Doctor once killed someone, for example, and the fourth Doctor spent an entire episode trying to kill someone, simply because they were driven to thep oint where they had no other option.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Ford Prefect wrote:
Zixinus wrote:Also, call me a purist, but is it more or does the doctor appear much more violent than he usually is?
The first Doctor expressed considerable glee after schooling a Roman assassin in hand to hand combat and tossing him out the window, though he once stated that he disliked weapons. The third Doctor was a practioner of Venusian aikido and frequently engaged in physical combat with people (most notably he is thrown into a pit fight in Peladon). The fourth Doctor was adept in combat as well, dominating a swordfight against the best duellist of a planet, got into a pretty serious fight with a clone of himself, and once almost snapped a man's neck.

The Doctor isn't exactly a pacifist, he just doesn't resort to violence where necessary. The second Doctor once killed someone, for example, and the fourth Doctor spent an entire episode trying to kill someone, simply because they were driven to thep oint where they had no other option.
Didn't Tennant's Doctor also defeated someone in a swordfight? I know Eccleston's Doctor was wanting to kill that Dalek.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Ford Prefect wrote:The second Doctor once killed someone, for example
When? :? The only one of the first eight Doctors I can think of who killed someone was the Sixth in "The Two Doctors".
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Enigma wrote:Didn't Tennant's Doctor also defeated someone in a swordfight?

Beat him and then dropped him onto London from a kilometre up.
I know Eccleston's Doctor was wanting to kill that Dalek.
Got a gun and everything.
Captain Seafort wrote:The only one of the first eight Doctors I can think of who killed someone was the Sixth in "The Two Doctors".
Oops, I got mixed up. I was thinking of The Two Doctors, but got the second mixed up with the sixth. It was the sixth who killed Shockeye (of the Quawncing Grig!) with cyanide. Though strictly speaking the fourth killed someone in The Ribos Operation, I suppose.
What is Project Zohar?

Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

That chick looks fucking retarded - and also demonstrates it's doomed to anime cliches btw - but her tits are in no way 'huge'. 'Huge' = 'over 100cms you don't bother counting anymore'.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

I'm amazed when one guy can do stuff like that. Almost makes me want to learn how to do it, but I know it would take more effort than I can reliably put into just about anything. It's a good "proof of concept" though, even if it is packed with anime cliches for its own sake. The Doctor beating up some chavs = worth crazy looking girl.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

That chick looks fucking retarded
To be fair my automatic thought was 'hey, she's at least wearing more clothes than Leela'.

Yes, I am aware that this is inaccurate.
I'm amazed when one guy can do stuff like that.
Yeah, it's always impressive when someone starts animating stuff on their own stuff, even if it's just small clips. For example, this clip is pretty astounding for just some random dude.
What is Project Zohar?

Ohma
Jedi Knight

Post by Ohma »

I really love the final bit. "OMG DALEK COMM CHATTER *drool*" ;>.>

The whole thing is rather delightfully 90s. I'm not sure why I don't consider that bad.
Oh, Mister Darcy! <3
We're ALL Devo!
GALE-Force: Guardians of Space!
"Rarr! Rargharghiss!" -Gorn
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

That is a damn impressive fanwork, even if it did have no shortage of Cliche. I second the doctor beating up Chavs as being the highpoint, although the Cybermen and Dalek bridge scene were also pretty interesting.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
fusion
Jedi Knight

Post by fusion »

The chick, just seems out of place, like what every one else had just said. However, I do think that I can forgive him for the chick... Everything else seems to be extremely good...

Drool...
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

I liked the old "state the obvious" tendency with the Daleks. It had a car thrown on it, and then noticed it was under attack. :P
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

fusion wrote:The chick, just seems out of place, like what every one else had just said. However, I do think that I can forgive him for the chick... Everything else seems to be extremely good...

Drool...
The chick isn't the issue itself; it's that the chick demonstrates the 'fan' making this is subject to all the asinine stereotypes of anime, which will be fucking terrible. Technically it's great, but since it's being made by someone so hamstrung by convention it's doomed.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

'fan' making this is subject to all the asinine stereotypes of anime, which will be fucking terrible.
I'm curious: what's terrible about the stereotypes of anime?
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.