Went target shooting over the summer

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Re: Went target shooting over the summer

Post by [R_H] »

Alyeska, is the AK-103 a Bulgy? Instead of the railed dust cover, you could try the Krebs rail/peep sight combo that attaches to the original sight and the rear tangent (off the top of my head). Not sure if Krebs still sells it, but if I remember correctly, they were selling it for around 300 USD.
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

The SLR-95 is Bulgarian (got one at home).

The AK-103 is Russian.
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

Kanastrous wrote:The SLR-95 is Bulgarian (got one at home).

The AK-103 is Russian.
I was unclear, I meant to ask if it was a Bulgarian/Saiga/etc modified with -103 furniture.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

My rifle is an Arsenal SLR 107F. Its an Americanized version of a Bulgarian weapon that itself is essentially a licensed copy of the AK103.

So yes, this is a semi-auto AK103.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

[R_H] wrote:Alyeska, is the AK-103 a Bulgy? Instead of the railed dust cover, you could try the Krebs rail/peep sight combo that attaches to the original sight and the rear tangent (off the top of my head). Not sure if Krebs still sells it, but if I remember correctly, they were selling it for around 300 USD.
This is a problem. I have a side folding stock. Does that combo work on side folding stocks?
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

Alyeska wrote:
[R_H] wrote:Alyeska, is the AK-103 a Bulgy? Instead of the railed dust cover, you could try the Krebs rail/peep sight combo that attaches to the original sight and the rear tangent (off the top of my head). Not sure if Krebs still sells it, but if I remember correctly, they were selling it for around 300 USD.
This is a problem. I have a side folding stock. Does that combo work on side folding stocks?
I have no idea, sorry. I'll look around on some forums though.

However, DPH Arms sells Beyl-type rails (the more expensive one does not require the removal of the rear sight, the cheaper one does) that are a good, and more affordable, alternative to the Krebs rail.

Edited to remove links to Blackthorne Products (Vulcan/Hesse)
Last edited by [R_H] on 2009-02-20 08:08am, edited 1 time in total.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Alyeska wrote:So yes, this is a semi-auto AK103.
So it's a 7.6x39 then. I've been thinking of an Arsenal in the same caliber myself just because the ammo is so cheap, the gun too. Also I like 7.62x39 even though it's not the most effective or flattest shooting round.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

After some investigating I have found that my rifle is not compatible with the Krebs rail mount. Not only that, but the stock mounting isn't even a standard mount. It seems my rifle might actually be a Saiga of some sort. I don't even have a side scope mounting assembly, but I believe a gunsmith could remove the one from my AK47 and mount it on my AK103.

Darth Ruinus
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Ruinus »

DEATH wrote:
Schuyler Colfax wrote:Hm ... why did I think you were a girl?
.... Nah, too easy :P.
I guess this is a bad time to reveal that I also thought he was a she?

Anyways.... those are some pretty cool pictures. Of the two pictures of you poiting two pistols at the camera, the last one is the best. It looks like it says "Heh, you're about to die." Plus, the silver and black pistols reminds me of Hellsing.
"I don't believe in man made global warming because God promised to never again destroy the earth with water. He sent the rainbow as a sign."
- Sean Hannity Forums user Avi

"And BTW the concept of carbon based life is only a hypothesis based on the abiogensis theory, and there is no clear evidence for it."
-Mazen707 informing me about the facts on carbon-based life.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Alyeska

I'd like to ask: how are the ergonomics and accuracy of the AK-103? I've read that the AK family suffers in these respects precisely because of its lose tolerances, which give it its legendary reliability.

I also wonder about its felt recoil.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

I'm not Alyeska but I love to babble about guns, as for ergonomics, it's inferior to that of an AR but still not that bad, some people put telescoping AR stocks on an AK, it does help even though it looks like a franken gun. Ergonomics has nothing to do with it's loose tolerances really, ergonomics is a matter of how the gun is designed and the regular stock on many AKs is usually considered to be too short.

As for felt recoil, I don't think the 7.62 has that much recoil, running around and shooting at targets like in IPSC does cause it to jump up but not alot, you can control it. Still compared to 5.56 it's quite the bang.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Zixinus wrote:Alyeska

I'd like to ask: how are the ergonomics and accuracy of the AK-103? I've read that the AK family suffers in these respects precisely because of its lose tolerances, which give it its legendary reliability.

I also wonder about its felt recoil.
The AK-100 series is a very nice improvement on the AK family. They are still very reliable weapons but they are also far more accurate then the old AK47 or AK74. As shown with the G36 and HK-416, it is quite possible to create an accurate and also reliable weapon.