Let's Play X-COM: UFO Defense!

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Re: Let's Play X-COM: UFO Defense!

Post by Peptuck »

Clearing the terror ship proved both easier and harder than expected.

We took fire the second we stormed down the ramp. RedImperator died without firing a shot; not even his new powered armor could protect him from snakeman plasma fire.

Chrysalids and snakemen were swarming out of the ship and around the desert. Fortunately, the clear lines of fire afforded by the desert gave us a critical advantage once we got on the ground.

"Massacre" doesn't begin to describe it.

Stark and Lord Revan broke off to circle around the north side of the UFO LZ while the main force cleared away resistance to the south. Once we'd wiped out resistance outside the UFO, we prepared to breach.

A chrysalid burst out of the north entrance to the terror ship and leapt upon Lord Revan. Stark managed to kill it, but not before it had infected and zombified Revan.

Support fire from the south destroyed the zombie Revan and the chrysalid within, while Stark buggered the fuck off.

The assault teams moved inside the UFO, using liberal explosives to clear the way. Aware of the losses we suffered last time we assaulted a terror ship, our troops did not linger underneath the gaps in the ceiling, and instead rushed the lift. Vympel, Chris OFarrel, Robo-Haven, and Covenant made it to the lift first, while the remainder of the team stayed behind to secure the lower floors.

A chrysalid ran out of the terror ship, eager to impregnate our resident angry sniper commander. Stark, who had wisely fled in a blind panic from the first chrysalid attack, wrecked his shit with a single well-placed plasma beam.

The upper level of the ship saw some vicious close-combat. Taking advantage of our power suits' sheer durability, Robo-Haven assaulted and killed two snakemen by dual-wielding an autocannon and RedImperator's heavy plasma at point-blank range.

Chris OFarrel found the last snakeman hiding in this side room, stuck in place by the destroyed floor and clearly waiting for some of our troops to walk by below.

Autocannon autofire bursts in close quarters are not considered overkill.

Post-mission analysis: Much better chrysalid fighting this time around. Once again, X-COM has used range and firepower to overcome a superior enemy. The chrysalids were generally no threat as long as we used range and sniper-spotter tactics to clear them and the supporting snakemen away.

We've learned by now that caution while assaulting UFO interiors can potentially be deadly. If we'd kept to our usual slow advance with massive firepower leading the way strategy inside the ship, we probably would have taken more losses. Instead, the only way to win in close quarters is to CHARGECHARGECHARGECHARGE.
Last edited by Peptuck on 2009-02-27 06:00pm, edited 3 times in total.
X-COM: Defending Earth by blasting the shit out of it.

Writers are people, and people are stupid. So, a large chunk of them have the IQ of beach pebbles. ~fgalkin

You're complaining that the story isn't the kind you like. That's like me bitching about the lack of ninjas in Robin Hood. ~CaptainChewbacca
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

RedImperator wrote:
Peptuck wrote:I'm seriously considering deploying Mind Probes so we can track the fuckers down. Its late June and we don't even have basic psionics.
I'd recommend that; you really desperately need to get started on psionics. As it is, even if you capture a sectoid leader tomorrow, you need time to research the leader, then research psionics, then 24 days to build a psi lab, and then a full month to get the first batch of soldiers through psi training--and if you finish the lab on the 2nd, it sits idle until the first of next month. So that takes you to September, minimum, before you even have your first batch tested, and more likely October or even November. By which point the aliens will be throwing Ethereals at you.

Oh man, you are totally screwed. I anticipate some really hilarious updates in the near future.
We shall answer the threat of psionics like we answer every other threat: WITH FIRE.

Writers are people, and people are stupid. So, a large chunk of them have the IQ of beach pebbles. ~fgalkin

You're complaining that the story isn't the kind you like. That's like me bitching about the lack of ninjas in Robin Hood. ~CaptainChewbacca
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Meh, ethereals without human psykers is doable, just annoying. And bloody. Which, to be honest, sounds par for the course for this particular run. :)

Also: FUCK YES, Robo-Haven in power-armour with an autocannon and no fear of collateral damage to himself. Now he just needs a chainsaw axe.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Decue
Padawan Learner

Post by Decue »

Hey, have you stopped using me? With a nice and shiny power armour my old archenemy Smoke can't kill me. I will be indestructible!
Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

RedImperator wrote:
Peptuck wrote: So that takes you to September, minimum, before you even have your first batch tested, and more likely October or even November. By which point the aliens will be throwing Ethereals at you.
Ethereals show up in July.
Erik von Nein
Jedi Council Member

Post by Erik von Nein »

Haha. Oh, man. I'm glad I'm an interceptor pilot. You ground-pounder guys are fucked. :P
"To make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the universe."
— Carl Sagan

Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

This is all them ore reason to join the ground pounders - so exciting!
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

Woho! Autocannon CHHHARRGEEEE!!!

Kill all the...hey...wait a second, who took me out of the workshop and put me in the front line! I don't have the training for this, I'm a mechanic, not a mercenary!!
Necromancer of Rath
Padawan Learner

Post by Necromancer of Rath »

I'd have to disagree. You obviously have the "kill" and "blow shit up" parts down.

I don't think there's anything else in the training for X-COM.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Necromancer of Rath wrote:I'd have to disagree. You obviously have the "kill" and "blow shit up" parts down.

And that good sir is where you are incorrect.

You must also learn how to completely disregard all survival instincts, ignore the chain of command, lose the ability to distinguish between Snakeman and cowering civilians and pass numerous physicals and parenthood exams to confirm your suitability to have thousands of glistening eggs laid in you by a Chrysalid.
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

weemadando wrote:
Necromancer of Rath wrote:I'd have to disagree. You obviously have the "kill" and "blow shit up" parts down.

You must also learn how to completely disregard all survival instincts, ignore the chain of command, lose the ability to distinguish between Snakeman and cowering civilians and pass numerous physicals and parenthood exams to confirm your suitability to have thousands of glistening eggs laid in you by a Chrysalid.
Don't forget the comprehensive course in shooting your teammates in the back.

Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

At least the Autocannon has a simple 'point and click' interface...

I almost blew up half the lab yesterday trying to get the alien grenade to work. I mean honestly, what kind of a grenade needs ten different buttons?!
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Chris OFarrell wrote:At least the Autocannon has a simple 'point and click' interface...

I almost blew up half the lab yesterday trying to get the alien grenade to work. I mean honestly, what kind of a grenade needs ten different buttons?!
Yes, but if you could see in the UV spectrum like a sectoid, you'd know that all but one of the buttons says: "Stoopid hoomans press here".
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

first mission and I get both killed and zombiefied not a good start I'd say, oh well at least I didn't kill more then half the team in the prosess (which has happend to me with playing UFO more times then I dare to count).
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Coalition
Jedi Master

Post by Coalition »

weemadando wrote:
Chris OFarrell wrote:I almost blew up half the lab yesterday trying to get the alien grenade to work. I mean honestly, what kind of a grenade needs ten different buttons?!
Yes, but if you could see in the UV spectrum like a sectoid, you'd know that all but one of the buttons says: "Stoopid hoomans press here".
Better than the disintegration grenade with the label "Pick me up". Watch it here
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

not as bad as the bunny rabbit with a mean streak a mile wide.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
fnord
Jedi Knight

Post by fnord »

Chris OFarrell wrote:At least the Autocannon has a simple 'point and click' interface...

So that explains the noise - thought it was big chief rumbleguts relieving himself.
A mad person thinks there's a gateway to hell in his basement. A mad genius builds one and turns it on. - CaptainChewbacca
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

At least they killed the damn rabbit this time.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Argosh
Jedi Knight

Post by Argosh »

weemadando wrote:I have to imagine that someone, somewhere has a step by step guide on how to twink your way to a win by March.
Almost, speedrun by May, here. :wink:
Total Run-Time (Game-Time): May 21st 1999
--
Don't make me use uppercase...
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

Working on the next update now. Its gonna be big - easily thirty images, probably more. The shit has hit the fan, people. What we can expect:

-New aircraft
-New explosions
-Fire
-A fuckton of Mutons
-The fate of mankind (or at least a chunk of X-COM's budget) hanging in the balance
-HOT UFO ON INTERCEPTOR ACTION!

Necromancer of Rath
Padawan Learner

Post by Necromancer of Rath »

weemadando wrote:

Waaaaaait...this group had the ability to distinguish between Snakemen and civilians in the first place? I thought they were just viewed as man sized flares waiting to happen. You definitely have me on the other points though.
Peptuck wrote:Don't forget the comprehensive course in shooting your teammates in the back.
Oh see, I was under the assumption that was a course for those who are deeming command material. Like Zablorg.
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

Welcome to X-COM!

X-COM is the top-secret, ultra-advanced covert organization that is keeping YOU safe from anal probing.

Would you like to learn more?

Click any of the topics below to learn more about the EXtraterrestrial COMbat Unit!

Field Operations Spoiler

Witness the operations of one of X-COM's crack assault teams in action! Watch how they spot a sectoid.....

And blast him to tiny pieces! Ignore the copious amounts of beer cans the men are throwing down, or the various rude gestures they are making to our equally brave cameramen.
Research Spoiler

Here, you can see the critical research gains made by X-COM in the most crucial fields to ensuring mankind's continued survival. Clearly, the understanding of how to best create larger explosions will benefit all of mankind.
Piloting Spoiler

Here, you can see the exciting new paths in the career of piloting X-COM has paved for mankind. With these new craft, our capacity to wipe the xenos scum from the sky is almost guaranteed, and we don't have to worry about the stateless nature of X-COM interfering with little things like bureaucratic oversight!
Fire Spoiler

No human endeavor is complete without fire!
Collateral Damage Spoiler

Of course, there is some collateral damage to be expected - even encouraged! You can never be too certain if there’s an alien sympathizer in the area, and the easiest way to weed out the traitors is with fire.
Career Advancement Spoiler

X-COM offers rapid promotions and excellent salary to any soldier who proves their worth on the battlefield. Soldiers are expected to be swift and indiscriminate against all perceived threats, and the apply maximum force to protect mankind against its enemies, both human and otherwise. Naturally, the best people to determine who is an enemy are X-COM operatives, privy to top-secret information from their commanders, their squad leaders, and the voices in their heads.
More Fire Spoiler

History has proven that the only solution to mankind’s problems is more fire.
Alien Operations Spoiler

Here, you can see our troops violently breaking into a downed enemy craft. Don’t worry: we’ve cut the audio feeds, so you don’t need to worry about hearing the xenos’ pitiful cries for mercy as we bludgeon them to death with beer bottles and broken chairs.
Additional Fire Spoiler

Witness here Trooper Vympel, whose sheer human awesomeness has ensured that he is immune to fire. The xenos is not human, and therefore not immune to fire. That is the quickest way to determine who is or isn’t a xeno sympathizer!
Robotics Spoiler

Here, you can witness the efficiency and effectiveness of our robot corps, as the HWP destroys not just a foul, savage muton, but also obliterates the field it was cowering in, thus removing any possibility of the survival of a xenos-sympathizing cabbage or wheat stalk.
Cybernetics Spoiler

X-COM has a fully-equipped medical staff armed with the latest in medical advancements. In case of severe wounds in battle with the xenos invaders, we are prepared to repair injuries suffered by our soldiers and bring them back up to optimal status. Inability to modulate voices resulting in allcaps speaking is a regrettable side effect.
X-COM: defending mankind, no matter the cost to itself or the intervening countryside.

Are you doing your part?
-

June saw some craaaaaaaaazy shit happening. First, some sexy graphs.

It started off pretty normal. Lots and lots of scouts were detected and shot down.

Lots.

We downed another Snakeman terror ship over North Africa. The ship was cleared with zero casualties.

Note: It says something about us when we end up skipping an entire terror ship clearance because its so uneventful.

Production began on the new Firestorm-class interceptor at Vodkaville. Chief Engineers Fnord and Academia report that it will be finished "as soon as we have a fresh shipment of Absolut." HighCom was not perturbed to note that the video conference where this was said involved both of them wearing traffic cones as hats.

Then, holy jesus Brazil has like a trillion UFOs flying overhead, all on "Alien Infiltration" missions. We still don't know what these pertain to, but X-COM proceeded to do its thing: scourge and purge.

The skies over Brazil were marked by explosions and the contrails of Interceptors writing out detailed insults against the mutons' mothers. Between Erik Von Nein and Coalition, we dropped a Muton supply ship, Muton terror ship, two Muton scouts, and engaged a fifth Muton vessel of unknown design, but was very, very big.

One shot from this big Muton ship - which we have dubbed a "Battleship" nearly tore Erik's interceptor in half. We had no choice but to let it land.

X-COM moved in to assault the massive Muton spaceship on foot.

Ten soldiers and one HWP are all that stand between the aliens and a marginal piece of X-COM's budget.

Next update: oh jezuz that was a massacre

Eulogy
Jedi Knight

Post by Eulogy »

How many letters will you be writing? :cry:
"A word of advice: next time you post, try not to inadvertently reveal why you've had no success with real women." Darth Wong to Bubble Boy
"I see you do not understand objectivity," said Tom Carder, a fundie fucknut to Darth Wong
Zablorg
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zablorg »

WHY DID I NOT GET PROMOTED

THIS IS NOT HOW IT IS
Jupiter Oak Evolution!
Erik von Nein
Jedi Council Member

Post by Erik von Nein »

Holy moley. I guess that's what I get for mocking those poor ground soldiers.
"To make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the universe."
— Carl Sagan