NHL 2008/2009 Season

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Re: NHL 2008/2009 Season

Post by Darth Fanboy »

oh fuck making trades with the sharks right now and letting them improve their defense is bad news because we still play them three times.

On the other hand, Huskins is coming back from being hurt, and Moen hasn't produced much this year as part of the checking line, Pahlsson will be back soon and Ryan Carter will fill Moen's spot I believe nicely.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

natch that, we just traded Sammy Pahlsson to the blackhawks

motherfuuuuuuuuck....
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Darth Fanboy wrote:natch that, we just traded Sammy Pahlsson to the blackhawks

motherfuuuuuuuuck....
Looks like the Ducks gave up on it. Also, Niedermeyer is probably retiring because otherwise keeping both Whitney and Pronger, with Beauchemin returning doesn't make sense.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

I wouldn't say we gave up, giving up would have meant dealing PRonger or Niedermayer. I think we broke up the checking line because they weren't what they used to be. With that in mind, Moen and Pahlsson immediately become expendable because their defense is really all we kept them for and they haven't generated much offense this year. We can keep Rob around because he, Marchant, and Ryan Carter can serve as defensive forwards with a little more offensive upside on either a third or fourth line. I still think we can get in as a 7th or 8th seed with what we have in place if we can just get both our scoring lines licking at the same time. We have games left against the teams were are competing against for the last spots, we just have to BEAT them.

Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

An interesting day in the league today for those who played their first games with their new squads or old squads in one players case. Olli Jokinen gets 2 goals and Jordan Leopold gets 1 as the Flames school the Flyers 5-1 and Marty Gerber is 39 seconds away from a shoutout for the Leafs against the Caps in his old Sens mask.
Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

Funniest game of the season in the NHL. Flames played terrible infront of their poor McBackup and I was laughing the whole time.
Modax
Padawan Learner

Post by Modax »

Oh boy. Edmonton is playing Toronto today, and I get to watch the game in HD! This should be a good one. Hopefully the trades we made on deadline day will pay off. It would suck to miss the playoffs for the third year in a row. (we're currently just 2 points out of the playoffs)
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Modax wrote:Oh boy. Edmonton is playing Toronto today, and I get to watch the game in HD! This should be a good one. Hopefully the trades we made on deadline day will pay off. It would suck to miss the playoffs for the third year in a row. (we're currently just 2 points out of the playoffs)
And of course, I'm working tonight. So I can watch it on radio! :P

I haven't been keeping up with the Oil, who'd we deal away?
XXXI
Modax
Padawan Learner

Post by Modax »

We traded Eric Cole for Patrick O'sullivan, and got Ales Kotalik in exchange for a second round draft pick. I think it's definitely an improvement.
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Canadiens Fire Carbonneau

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot , over :shock:

So, NOW they decide to axe the coach? Lessee here, the organization makes minimal moves over the deadline, plays mind games with players, and oh yeah, utterly fucks-up their starting goaltender's head. And one of the primary masterminds behind it all is now the acting coach.

Delicious :twisted:
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

A thriller at The Joe tonight between the Flames and the Red Wings. 6-5 Flames final!

An absolutely dominating 3rd period by the Flames. 3 goals in the last 4 minutes to take a 5-4 lead, Detroit ties it up in the last minute and then the Flames win it in the shootout.
Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

Kipper sucked tonight and that is all she wrote.
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

8-6 final, it wasnt like Gerber was channeling Patrick Roy or anything either. Looked like a lot of screen shots and crazy bounces, not a pretty sight at either end. Being at the end of 7 games in 12 days didnt help Calgary either, thank you oh so much the briar :roll:

Congrats to Marty Brodeur, ties Roy's career wins total tonight in Montreal with a 3-1 victory
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

The Brier is awesome. At least in that Alberta is kicking ass and taking names.
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Awesome it may be, but its kneeing the flames in the balls with a 12 -day road trip when they running out of games and things getting down to the nitty gritty; now is definitely not the time for collapses of any sort
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

That was just a nerve-wracking kinda fun game last night between Caps and Canes. For all the struggles at home it looked like the Caps were just trying to throw away another chance what with missing on a freaking FIVE ON ONE but damn if there weren't just some damn awesome moments: Cam Ward's robbery of Gordon in the third and Theodore robbing everybody during the 4 on 3 during overtime. On that last count I'm just gonna say that if you put the whistle away for the entire third period (including at least one pretty obvious Interference by the Caps and one obvious Tripping by the Canes) to call that kind of ticky-tack Hooking/Slashing call on Poti during the extra period is pretty shitty.

I also have to say Semin continues to be on of the most exciting and frustrating guys on the ice. One minute he's making beautiful shots like his turnaroudn sldier in traffic and the next he's getting dumped in the box just in time for the Caps to get creamed with a momentum killer...oh well Ovie is 1 away from 3 straight 50+ seasons.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Best. Fight. Ever.

Edit: According to NHL.com, this morning, Staubitz broke Tootoo's nose with one of those punches. Tootoo has bad luck fighting Sharks. In the 2007 playoffs he got pummeled by Ryan Clowe. Hopefully this'll be the end to Tootoo's antics, for a while, although he unfortunately did return in the third period.

And I think we won the game, somewhere, too.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Congrats to Alexander Ovechkin for breaking the 50-goal mark this season.

The Canadiens appear to have pulled the cord on their chute, and the only thing that has come out is maybe their laundry :P Right now, they are burning spectacularly in, in 7th place ahead of Carolina (who has same points, but Montreal has game in hand) and only 1 point up on Florida. They have a fairly soft sched the next couple weeks (on paper) but the last week of the season, they play 4 games in 6 nights including Ottawa, Rangers, Boston and Pittsburgh. Not getting a good vibe there.

Way the standings look , nothing is going to be decided in either conference for the final matchups until the last day.
Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

Staubitz is my hero of the week. Nice to see that little wanker Tootoo get smoked.
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Ok, this was a little unexpected : TSN: Gillett considers selling Canadiens

All financial woes and economies aside, Ron Wilson on Fan 590 was just asked if he'd heard about it , and responded "Geez, is it because we beat them?" :lol:
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Some really interesting races going on, right now. Not only is there a fight for top-seed in the West (Sharks are one point up on the Wings, who have the tie-breaks), but the Canadiens have only a game in hand to separate them from the Panthers (Buffalo's fallen out of it, it seems--only a TOTAL collapse by the Panthers and Habs will let them in). The best race, though, is for the last two spots in the West. With ten games left, the Ducks are just one point behind the Predators for the final spot, and those two teams play today. Overall, five teams (Oilers, Preds, Ducks, Wild, and Blues) are fighting it out for the 7th and 8th seeds--all of them are within 4 points of each other and each have 10 games left. Should be some really fun hockey the rest of the way.

Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Y'know. I dont think I ever remember back-to-back goals waved off by the same ref on the same team seconds apart.... :wtf:

Fucking zebras :roll:
Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

Burak Gazan wrote:Y'know. I dont think I ever remember back-to-back goals waved off by the same ref on the same team seconds apart.... :wtf:

Fucking zebras :roll:
I actually agreed with the second one being waved off. The first one, not so much. It was pretty clear that Curtis Glencross did not even come close to interfering with Backstrom.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

SO I forgot to talk about this earlier but from Friday night I got to see Brian Pothier light his first lamp since 2007 after suffering through 14 months of concussion and astigmatism related injuries. Without getting into the up and downs of a truly exciting game (though the 3rd period officiating was atrocious paticularly the wave off on Laich's goal) I can safely say that the loudest and longest sustained applause wasn't for Ovie's 52nd (or his 100th point), for Backstrom's 2 but rather for Brian giving us the game winner with just a beautiful slapshot through traffic...there are some awesome comeback stories and this is one of them.

Now if we could get the team healthy instead of having half the guys down with the flu I'd like that as well.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

CmdrWilkens wrote:Now if we could get the team healthy instead of having half the guys down with the flu I'd like that as well.
At least your guys only have the flu.

Marleau, Blake, Clowe, Goc, Grier, Mitchell, Plihal, Huskins, Lemieux. Those are the Sharks that missed the latest game (2-1 win with Nabby stopping about 153 Calgary shots) with injuries. Over the last month or so, we've also seen Roenick (who's now on the first line!), Cheechoo, Boyle, and Pavelski miss games due to injuries for at least two games, and Michalek played through a broken foot. And that doesn't even count the time Cheechoo got a ridiculously soft game misconduct for "boarding" (still the least consistently called penalty in all of sports).

It's gotten so bad that Moen is the ONLY NHL player on our third and fourth lines, and we've had to switch the first two all around just to field enough skaters.