2008 NFL Season Thread- The Road to Super Bowl XLIII

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Re: 2008 NFL Season Thread- The Road to Super Bowl XLIII

Post by Falkenhayn »

Kansas City traded their 2nd Round pick (#34 overall) for Matt Cassel and Mike Vrabel.
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
"Mix'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights."
-Gen. George Thomas, Union Army of the Cumberland
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Falkenhayn wrote:Kansas City traded their 2nd Round pick (#34 overall) for Matt Cassel and Mike Vrabel.
Not a bad package that. I'd have certainly jumped on an offer like it.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

So the Buccaneers proposed a 3-way deal that would have sent Matt Cassel to the Donkeys, Jay Cutler to Tampa Bay and something or another to New England. This proposal is moot because the Chiefs already traded for Cassel. The Lions have also proposed a trade for Cutler. Maturity has never been Cutler's MO, but his latest meltdown is a laugh-riot:

Denver Post
Trade talk rattles Cutler
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 02/28/2009 06:21:05 PM MST
Updated: 02/28/2009 06:21:05 PM MST

Even without serious competition from a backup, the Broncos had themselves a quarterback controversy Friday.

Jay Cutler, the Broncos' starting quarterback, the franchise, the one player who carried all hope for a greater future, believes his days with the team are numbered — even after a proposed deal that would have sent him to Tampa Bay and Matt Cassel to Denver never materialized.

"My understanding at this point is they're trying to trade me," Cutler said this afternoon. "We'll see where I end up at. I liked it here, I liked playing with these guys but obviously they're not going to let me have that opportunity."

The deal had Tampa Bay trying to acquire Cutler in exchange for a first-round draft pick. In turn, the Broncos would have traded the first-round draft pick to New England in exchange for quarterback Matt Cassel.

McDaniels was the Patriots' offensive coordinator last season when he helped guide Cassel, a career-long backup, to an 11-5 record and 89.4 passer rating that ranked 10th in the league.

It may be important to note, Tampa Bay initiated the deal. And they weren't the only team that inquired about acquiring Cutler.

"He's not the only person in the last few days we've received calls on," McDaniels said. "We've received trade calls on a number of players, which is not uncommon this time of the year. I also think the sensitivity of the other trade that was occurring, with my relationship with New England and the whole Cassel thing, I think that stirred the pot even more."

And then McDaniels made a point of emphasis: "We don't want to trade Jay. We never did. He's our quarterback. We're excited about this season. And excited about what we're doing here in free agency to improve our team."

Cassel was instead traded Saturday to the Kansas City Chiefs in exchange for the No. 34 overall pick in the upcoming draft.

Nevertheless, Cutler was shaken his team entertained moving him, and doesn't believe such a possibility is dead.

"I'm upset. I mean I'm really shocked at this point," he said. "I could see why they want Cassel. I don't know if they think I can't run the system or I don't have the skills for it. I just don't get it. Or if they don't think they can sign me with my next contract. I just don't know what it is. I've heard I'm still on the trading block."

Cutler has three years left on the six-year contract he signed prior to his rookie season. He said Broncos officials denied they were trying to him in a conversation with his agent Bus Cook. Cutler added that after the proposed deal spread through the Internet, the team cut off communication with Cook.

Had the proposed trade gone through, it would have come as a surprise to most followers of the team. Cutler is a first-round talent. He was picked No. 11 overall in the 2006 draft and undoubtedly would have gone higher if the league re-did that draft today. Cassel, meanwhile, did not start one game at quarterback at USC and never started in the NFL until this, his fourth season.

Granted, he played behind Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart at USC and Tom Brady at New England. But Cassel doesn't have the arm strength or big-play capability of Cutler, whose 4,526 yards ranked behind only Drew Brees and Kurt Warner among NFL quarterbacks last season.

If Cutler is not traded, and he stays with the Broncos, can his situation be mended? Cutler took a long pause before answering.

"Anything can be mended," he said. "I'll always play with the guys we've got. I love playing for those guys. Obviously, Josh and I's relationship has taken a few steps backward. I don't play for the coaches anyway, I play for teammates. As long as we keep the guys we've got I'll go out there and play. I love those guys."

Cutler said he had spoken with teammates Brandon Marshall, Brandon Stokley, Tony Scheffler and Casey Wiegmann, among others, about his trade.

"I know they love playing for me and I love playing for them," Cutler said. "There's going to be a lot of problems if they try to trade me. Well, they've already tried to trade me, but if they trade me for sure."
Two things:

1) The Donkeys weren't shopping Cutler around. Tampa Bay and Detroit went to them, and were either turned down or they couldn't make up their minds before the Chiefs traded for Cassel first. And Cutler is sulking about it?

2) If Johnny Unitas and Joe Montana can be traded, a punk like Cutler can be traded. It's just that he isn't worth as much because he's not that good and a bitchy drama queen to boot.
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

I'm surprised that no one has brought this up yet, but Owens has been cut by Dallas.

It'll be interesting to see where he lands. I'm sure somewhere will take him... I just can't think of who.
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

The Spartan wrote:I'm surprised that no one has brought this up yet, but Owens has been cut by Dallas.

It'll be interesting to see where he lands. I'm sure somewhere will take him... I just can't think of who.
Ravens might have a bunch of salary cap room now that we've lost a few guys on D. And another offensive weapon might be a good purchase.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

The Spartan wrote:I'm surprised that no one has brought this up yet, but Owens has been cut by Dallas.

One team needs to hop on the retirement home bandwagon and sign Owens, Harrison and Galloway. They all have about 2-4 years left in them and could bring up any young receivers already on the team or that get drafted. I think the Chiefs should give Cassel some weapons and old timer speed.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

weemadando wrote:

Ravens might have a bunch of salary cap room now that we've lost a few guys on D. And another offensive weapon might be a good purchase.
Not a chance. Harbaugh was with the Eagles when TOJ was there. Same goes for Childress in Minnesota. I'm thinking either the Raitards or Bengals. Maybe the Browns.
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

The Bengals did just lose Houshmanzadeh. So I can see them trying to pick up a marquee wide out to replace him. It's not like he's any worse than some of the other idiots they've had around. He, at least, doesn't have a rap sheet to my knowledge. He's just a selfish asshole.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

The Spartan wrote:The Bengals did just lose Houshmanzadeh. So I can see them trying to pick up a marquee wide out to replace him. It's not like he's any worse than some of the other idiots they've had around. He, at least, doesn't have a rap sheet to my knowledge. He's just a selfish asshole.

Can you imagine Ocho Cinco and T.O on the same team? :lol:

I'd feel really sorry for the Bengal's fans though.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

One year. 6.5 million. Buffalo.

Didn't see that one coming.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Owens signed with Buffalo, apparently.

Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo.

e;f;b
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Marvelous.

My feelings about this are mixed, to say the least.
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Havok wrote:One year. 6.5 million. Buffalo.

Didn't see that one coming.
Considering the radio DJ I listen to in the morning is from Buffalo and insisted on Friday that this would never, ever, ever happen, I find this to be delicious.
Soy un perdedor.
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

The Spartan wrote:The Bengals did just lose Houshmanzadeh. So I can see them trying to pick up a marquee wide out to replace him. It's not like he's any worse than some of the other idiots they've had around. He, at least, doesn't have a rap sheet to my knowledge. He's just a selfish asshole.
They ended up getting Laveranues Coles out of free agency.

And I'm shocked to hear that the Bills got T.O. This could either be a brilliant pick-up, or it could be a waste of a year and $6.5 million. Either way, the Bills are the talk of sports nation up until the season actually starts.
"Have you ever been fucked in the ass? because if you have you will understand why we have that philosophy"
- Alyrium Denryle, on HAB's policy of "Too much is almost enough"

"The jacketed ones are, but we're talking carefully-placed shits here. "-out of context, by Stuart
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Considering the state of the Buffalo franchise as a whole, this is actually a brilliant move.

On the field he always takes up at least two defenders and will free up Evans and Lynch to make more plays, along with what he brings himself. He provides Edwards with a bona fide #1 receiver who should be a lock for the Hall of Fame. He also can show a young team how to prepare themselves physically for the game and for long careers in the NFL.

Off the field he will take ALL the pressure off the rest of the team, which we saw last year, was too much for them to handle down the stretch and they completely collapsed and lost their way out of the playoffs. Remember that T.O. is AWESOME the first year he goes to a new team, even in the locker room.

PR wise, Buffalo just picked up the most charismatic media covered player in the entire NFL. He is going to be a solid draw, win or lose. Especially when they play their Toronto game (is it multiple games this year?) which wasn't a big success last year.

And quite honestly, fuck everyone that says T.O. has lost anything skill wise. If you actually watch him play, he was as dynamic last year as he was in his years in SF and Philly. Romo just didn't throw him the ball enough, because he is a horribly overrated QB and is only good when everything is going his way. Also fuck all the media guys that are saying "how many playoff games did T.O. win in Dallas" and the like, as if it is his sole responsibility to do that. I seem to remember that Tony Romo made colossal mistakes and just plain stunk in those playoff games. There is also this whole squad called the "Defense" that seemed to not show up for any of those games. And how long had it been since Dallas won a playoff game before T.O. got there.

Although I think T.O. would have been perfect in New Orleans, this is a great pick up for Buffalo.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

On the topic of bashing T.O., I've seen him drop several late-game, crunch-time catches. Maybe he didn't do that in SF and Philly either, but he sure as hell is not good in the clutch.

And I've officially lost all faith in the Browns now that they've released Joe Jurevicious. :roll:
"Have you ever been fucked in the ass? because if you have you will understand why we have that philosophy"

"The jacketed ones are, but we're talking carefully-placed shits here. "-out of context, by Stuart
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

The Eagles picked up two safeties recently: former Brown Sean Jones and former Raider Rashad Baker, who punched the Eagles' playoff ticket in December by picking off Jeff Garcia. Rumors have them targeting fullback Leonard Weaver.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Owens has always had a case of dropsies as a result of wanting to run before catching the ball. I do think Buffalo is a good place for him, and not just because they have fewer microphones for him to run his mouth. He's the perfect compliment for Lee Evans' deep routes. The only question I would have is whether Trent Edwards (if the issue should arise) will put up with Owens' bullshit in the huddle or on the sidelines like Garcia, McNabb and Romo did; or if Edwards is ready to wear an MFIC hat.
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Qwerty 42 wrote:The Eagles picked up two safeties recently: former Brown Sean Jones and former Raider Rashad Baker, who punched the Eagles' playoff ticket in December by picking off Jeff Garcia. Rumors have them targeting fullback Leonard Weaver.
Rashad Baker's a warm body. I don't know if his stint with the Raiders did anything for him, but he was mediocre when he played for us.

I'm comming around to TO. What I'm not coming around to are these rumors that we're shopping Lee Evans for a 2nd. Then again, we're supposedly trying to send Jason Peters to Philly. If we take both of Philly's First Rounders, I'm ok with it.
-Stuart
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Dark Flame wrote:On the topic of bashing T.O., I've seen him drop several late-game, crunch-time catches. Maybe he didn't do that in SF and Philly either, but he sure as hell is not good in the clutch.
It's funny you should say this. I'm watching the 98 NFC Divisional playoff game between SF and GB. Owens was dropping easy passes all day, but on the final drive, when Rice absolutely fumbled, but the refs called him down, and Young threw an interception that his receiver saved him from, it was Owens that caught the winning touchdown pass with 8 seconds left to go over and between 5 Packer players. Two Hall of Fame players almost lost the game on the final drive and it was Owens that made the play.

I also seem to remember Owens being the best player on the field in the Eagles Super Bowl loss against New England, after making an incredible comeback from a broken leg that probably no other player would have come back from.

If that isn't clutch, I don't know what is.

Edit: Shit man. We would have won that next game and gone on to the Super Bowl if Garrison Hearst hadn't broken his ankle on the first offensive play of the NFC Championship game, that AND Bryant Young broke his leg in the last game of the year, I think in the 3rd or 4th quarter, because he wouldn't come out of the game, when the Niners had their playoff spot locked up. Fuck!
And I've officially lost all faith in the Browns now that they've released Joe Jurevicious. :roll:
Did he even play last year? Shit man the Browns have ass luck with free agency. They should just stick to the draft.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

So Cutler has asked for a trade.

Now the questions are, does Denver grant it?
Yes.

And who wants Cutler and who has the merchandise to trade for him?
SF, Detroit, TB, Minnesota, NYJ, and a few others have a need, but fuck if Detroit isn't loaded with draft picks this year, and I could see McDaniels and Bowlen wanting to have a complete fresh start with a new QB drafted in the 1st round, possibly even #1.

Also Peppers looks like he is going to be traded to New England. Fuck.
If Brady is healthy, even by the 3-4th week of the season, NE has to be the favorite to win the SB this year. Although, we have seen what happens with the NY Yankees when you keep bringing in the big names... it is no guarantee of a championship.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

Did he even play last year? Shit man the Browns have ass luck with free agency. They should just stick to the draft.
No. However, when he was healthy he had great hands and excellent leadership. I know that the NFL's a business, but he's a quality guy that wants to play in Cleveland and I think he should have been allowed to stay. Overall, I'm not very enthused by Mangini's moves so far.

As for Cutler, there's been a little talk that the Browns might be willing to trade DA or Quinn for Cutler. I personally wouldn't want to give up Quinn, but I suppose if we got a good deal then I'd be inclined to take it.

Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

I was just thinking that Detroit may want to go o-line in the first round, and then score Pat White in the second: with an inexperienced line, the "run like hell" style of quarterback may be where they are right now.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Or, you grab Orlando Pace, Tory Holt (to go with Calvin Johnson) and trade for an established QB in Cutler. Detroit really can't afford hopes and what ifs at this point.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Havok wrote:So Cutler has asked for a trade.

Now the questions are, does Denver grant it?
Yes.
I hope not. That would take away two guaranteed wins for the Chargers.
And who wants Cutler and who has the merchandise to trade for him?
SF, Detroit, TB, Minnesota, NYJ, and a few others have a need, but fuck if Detroit isn't loaded with draft picks this year, and I could see McDaniels and Bowlen wanting to have a complete fresh start with a new QB drafted in the 1st round, possibly even #1.
Thus the career of the serial coach-killer begins. Cutler is Jeff George, minus the character and maturity. Any team that would trade for such a pupster deserves its downward spiral.
Also Peppers looks like he is going to be traded to New England. Fuck.
If Brady is healthy, even by the 3-4th week of the season, NE has to be the favorite to win the SB this year. Although, we have seen what happens with the NY Yankees when you keep bringing in the big names... it is no guarantee of a championship.
If I were the Pats, I'd try to trade for him but if the Panthers don't go for it, I'd pay the two #1 picks and grab him anyway. The Redskins did just that to snatch Wilbur Marshall from the Bears and he was more than worth it. The Patriots have 12 picks in 2009 alone and can spend their two highest while still being able to do what they want in the draft.