Clone Wars series (SPOILERS)

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: Clone Wars series (SPOILERS)

Post by Thanas »

To be fair though, they were properly boosting the shield with all energy they had and they were not under attack of a very coordinated or capable force.

It was good to see a semi-competent seperatist leader though.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

While I generally liked the show last night; I'm confused by calling the Frigates Battle cruisers as well as the continual references to the Venstars as cruisers as well. And, while I'm glad they used a 'reorientation' you'd think they'ed use the top surface so they'd be able to use their main guns. I also love the retcon Y-wings but don't like the fact that half a dozen are a serious and destructive threat to a bunch of frigates.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
DarkAscendant
Redshirt

Post by DarkAscendant »

Knife wrote:While I generally liked the show last night; I'm confused by calling the Frigates Battle cruisers as well as the continual references to the Venstars as cruisers as well. And, while I'm glad they used a 'reorientation' you'd think they'ed use the top surface so they'd be able to use their main guns. I also love the retcon Y-wings but don't like the fact that half a dozen are a serious and destructive threat to a bunch of frigates.
The whole point of reorienting the ship was so that they could protect the hangar and the bridge tower.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

It was good to see that the writers know the difference between volume and length, unlike a lot of TV sci-fi. Seeing one Venator take on six Munificents was rather cool (the Venator according to the ICS, actually has considerably more power than even fifteen Munificents, but those things have the seige gun of doom on them; presumably they had those charged when they jumped in, and killed one Venator and crippled another) and fits nicely with their relative volume (bearing in mind the hollow spaces on the Munificent).
Thanas wrote:It was good to see a semi-competent seperatist leader though.
I'm hoping he got to an escape pod of his own, and will be back. There's an 'excecutive escape pod' on the battleship's bridge tower, if I recall rightly, so it seems reasonable to think he might have managed it.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
DarkAscendant
Redshirt

Post by DarkAscendant »

NecronLord wrote:It was good to see that the writers know the difference between volume and length, unlike a lot of TV sci-fi. Seeing one Venator take on six Munificents was rather cool (the Venator according to the ICS, actually has considerably more power than even fifteen Munificents, but those things have the seige gun of doom on them; presumably they had those charged when they jumped in, and killed one Venator and crippled another) and fits nicely with their relative volume (bearing in mind the hollow spaces on the Munificent).
I'm hoping he got to an escape pod of his own, and will be back. There's an 'excecutive escape pod' on the battleship's bridge tower, if I recall rightly, so he might have managed it.
It looked to me that the frigates didn't do anything in the first battle. It was all the Vulture droids. They looked like they were all making suicide runs.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

NecronLord wrote:It was good to see that the writers know the difference between volume and length, unlike a lot of TV sci-fi. Seeing one Venator take on six Munificents was rather cool (the Venator according to the ICS, actually has considerably more power than even fifteen Munificents, but those things have the seige gun of doom on them; presumably they had those charged when they jumped in, and killed one Venator and crippled another) and fits nicely with their relative volume (bearing in mind the hollow spaces on the Munificent).
I'm hoping he got to an escape pod of his own, and will be back. There's an 'excecutive escape pod' on the battleship's bridge tower, if I recall rightly, so it seems reasonable to think he might have managed it.
He did. When the seperatist ground commander asks "where is the captain", the droids reply: In an escape pod.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

DarkAscendant wrote:
Knife wrote:While I generally liked the show last night; I'm confused by calling the Frigates Battle cruisers as well as the continual references to the Venstars as cruisers as well. And, while I'm glad they used a 'reorientation' you'd think they'ed use the top surface so they'd be able to use their main guns. I also love the retcon Y-wings but don't like the fact that half a dozen are a serious and destructive threat to a bunch of frigates.
The whole point of reorienting the ship was so that they could protect the hangar and the bridge tower.
er...yeah, lets protect that large slab of metal that covers the hangar by pointing the side of the ship with the big square hole that leads right to the hangar. Brilliant.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
DarkAscendant
Redshirt

Post by DarkAscendant »

Knife wrote:
DarkAscendant wrote:
er...yeah, lets protect that large slab of metal that covers the hangar by pointing the side of the ship with the big square hole that leads right to the hangar. Brilliant.
That large slab of metal is where they launch the Y-wings from.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Thanas wrote:He did. When the seperatist ground commander asks "where is the captain", the droids reply: In an escape pod.
Excellent!
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Noble713
Redshirt

Post by Noble713 »

While it was nice to see some space combat, there were several things that irked me about this episode. It's so derivative it's not even funny:

1. Rehashing the fighter kamikaze scene from ROTJ, with damn-near the same dialogue. "Intensify fire!" "Too late" :roll:

2. Is anyone familiar with Exosquad? This episode is practically a re-hash of events from the first season. You could take Episodes 5 (Resist!) and 11 (The Brood), splice 'em together, throw in an intro describing things from Ep 3&4, and end up getting "Storm Over Ryloth".

Ep 5: Admiral Winfield, Exofleet's CO, was wounded while fighting space pirates in Ep 3. His XO, the bold but stubborn Captain Marcus, takes command. Upon hearing that the genetically-engineered Neosapiens have rebelled and attacked Earth, he leads the fleet in an immediate counter-attack. The fleet fights a meeting engagement with the Neos and gets pasted. The only thing that allows them to escape is that Admiral Winfield recovers and orders all E-Frames (mecha/space fighters) into the battle as a distraction, led by LT J.T. Marsh (far more competent than Ahsoka, BTW).

Ep 11: CPT Marcus leads a mutiny and again tries to liberate Earth. The Exofleet arrives at Earth only to be caught between the combined power of both the Neosapien Earth AND Mars fleets, and gets pounded. Their flagship, the carrier Resolute, is evacuated but CPT Marcus stays behind to crash the vessel into the Neosapien flagship.

An Admiral taken out of action? A fleet retreating with heavy damage, but coming back desperate to break a blockade? A suicide run by a hybrid capital ship/carrier? A desperate fighter attack saving the day? Yeah, all sounds a bit familiar to me. Hell, one of the Venators was even named Resolute.
Darwin
Jedi Master

Post by Darwin »

Noble713 wrote: 2. Is anyone familiar with Exosquad? This episode is practically a re-hash of events from the first season. You could take Episodes 5 (Resist!) and 11 (The Brood), splice 'em together, throw in an intro describing things from Ep 3&4, and end up getting "Storm Over Ryloth".
You could do a lot worse than ripping off wholesale from Exosquad. Just sayin'.
Rawtooth
Padawan Learner

Post by Rawtooth »

Something I've really liked from this series is it's occasional portrayal of Vulture droids being used as suicide ships. It hints at them being considered disposable enough to throw away in such tactics.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Noble713 wrote:While it was nice to see some space combat, there were several things that irked me about this episode. It's so derivative it's not even funny:

1. Rehashing the fighter kamikaze scene from ROTJ, with damn-near the same dialogue. "Intensify fire!" "Too late" :roll:
Yeah, there is a fair amount of recycled dialogue in scenes that are similar to the movies.

I'm just glad the hit to the bridge didn't make the ship crash into the planet. :)
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Something tech related, Is anyone else very impressed by the immediate 180 the Y-wings did upon leaving the Resolute?

That was a pretty impressive maneuver for a bomber
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Personally I'm sick to death how whenever a ship is damaged, it always appears to be "the stabilizer". It's really lame. They really must have no imagination at all.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
DarkAscendant
Redshirt

Post by DarkAscendant »

Vympel wrote:Personally I'm sick to death how whenever a ship is damaged, it always appears to be "the stabilizer". It's really lame. They really must have no imagination at all.
The only thing that matters is that it's not 'quantum' or 'remodulate the frequencies'.
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

When I heard "battlecruiser" and "cruiser" being used for the Munificents, I got worried. This subsided when the actual tactical diaplay scene showed them being referred to as frigates, the lead ship as a battleship, and the cruiser as a cruiser (which is basically what the SDs were referred to in the very first film, so there's an old precedence). Bitchin' episode. :mrgreen:
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

From the website, a brief exception to the accustomed battledroid incompetance, in the prequel to 'Dooku Captured.'

One and two.

Also, an OOM captain who doesn't seem at all indecisive.

They are as they say, the best of their series', which is perhaps another instance of battledroid promotion - if a droid is good enough, it ends up on Dooku's flagship. Personally, I'd have liked to have seen that in the actual show.
Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Post by Kurgan »

Wow, the battledroids are getting sillier and sillier... making me long for the "serious" droids
of Episode I!

And is it just me or is the show becoming more and more minimalistic? I guess that's not a big
deal except for those who see the CGI series as an extension of the highest canon
(though it's "T-Canon")...
fun/fantasy movies existed before the overrated Star Wars came out. What made it seem 'less dark' was the sheer goofy aspect of it: two robots modeled on Laurel & Hardy, and a smartass outlaw with bigfoot co-pilot and their hotrod pizza-shaped ship, and they were sucked aboard a giant Disco Ball. -adw1
Someone asked me yesterday if Dracula met Saruman and there was a fight, who would win. I just looked at this man. What an idiotic thing to say. I mean really, it was half-witted. - Christopher Lee

JKA Server 2024
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

Not really, the battleship still looked substantially larger than the Venator that rammed it. Or are you thinking about one battleship plus several frigates constituting a blockade? Well, we don't know the resources used to blockade Naboo in TPM was a locally substantial force or not. And that there's a war going on throughout a galaxy of millions of systems. If anything, last episode had a kid fixing up his own private army on one of the "millions of backwaters noone cares about", that was simply left there by the CIS.
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

Plus didn't we see something similar with Naboo? The Trade Federation showed up with a bunch of ships, blockaded the place until they had control, and then sent most of them away on other tasks?
Murazor
Jedi Council Member

Post by Murazor »

Interesting that according to the webcomic, Ryloth was #79 in the "To Invade" list of the CIS (or maybe it is the Techno Union's list? As far as I remember, the Separatist state has only been called "Separatist Alliance" in the series so far). It seems that this campaign is Tambor's private show, in an attempt to get to Argente's part of the booty, but it still suggests that the Twi'lek homeworld is a relatively important place all things considered.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Just saw the Ryloth episode, and was impressed. I'm having trouble recalling details, since I haven't slept in over twenty four hours, but if I recall correctly, it has some really intense fighter combat, and I actually found the music somewhat reminiscent of The Wrath of Kahn (which is definitely a good thing). I liked that they actually made use of the manuvering options available when fighting in three dimensions (rolling the ship) rather than having the Venator stay "upright" and manuver like a ship. Though I found the sepperatist captain to be a typically stupid bugger. It sure took him long enough to figure out Anakin's ramming plan. He seemed like little more than just another arrogant and clumsy Sith pawn to me. And the battle droids were so utterly pathetic, as usual.

Also, did anyone else notice a bit of hostillity/tension between Asoka and Anakin? Asoka being basically traumatized by royaly screwing up her first command and getting a bunch of people killed, and Anakin trying to be sympathetic but being really bad at it? Or am I just delusional here? Not hard to understand though. I imagine Anakin would be feeling reponsible for the whole mess himself, especially given his attachments and obscession with stopping people from dying.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Well, Tonight's episode was better than the last. The small scale of last week's space battle annoyed me, but this week was pretty good.

Also, the CIS is trying to ratchet up their "Evil" quota, what with them using civvies as human shields and all.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

I think it's also implied that Numa's parents are both dead. The guy who finds her at the end, is her uncle, not her dad, according to the episode guide. And Obi-Wan describes the hostage group as "the survivors", meaning the remainder of the town were killed. Getting better.