"Doctor Who" Anime!

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Re: "Doctor Who" Anime!

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

You didn't honestly just ask that, did you? I watch little or no anime, only the big-ticket films that people who don't keep up with anime see anyways, and I can still tell you that on the face of it, the answer is for all intents and purposes self-evident. For that matter, what genres embrace their own cliches without becoming dinosaurs on parade? Novelties from a bygone era for hipsters and like-minded snobs to snicker at?
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

You didn't honestly just ask that, did you?
I have my own ideas, but I'd like to hear Stark's rant about it.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Zixinus wrote:I'm curious: what's terrible about the stereotypes of anime?
What a ridiculous question. I'll simply repeat 'all the asinine stereotypes of anime' and point out the trailer shows a near-naked, feral girl moving between frames and expressing herself saturday morning anime style. This doesn't even match the rest of the animation, so it's clearly a conscious choice to throw in a 'hawt anime gurl'.

I'm not going to get sidelined by butthurt nerds into 'OMG YOU SAID ANIME SUXXXX' because I never said anything of the sort. Anime made by fatty nerd idiots with totally inappropriate cliches sucks.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Zixinus wrote:
'fan' making this is subject to all the asinine stereotypes of anime, which will be fucking terrible.
I'm curious: what's terrible about the stereotypes of anime?
They're tedious, unimaginative and generally shit? I like big tits and blue hair more than the next guy, but anime does ruin itself with shoddiness and general lack of talent as far as stories and humour goes. Suffice it to say, the setting doesn't work with that dumb japanese sense of irreverence and meme repetition.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Stark wrote:
Zixinus wrote:I'm curious: what's terrible about the stereotypes of anime?
What a ridiculous question. I'll simply repeat 'all the asinine stereotypes of anime' and point out the trailer shows a near-naked, feral girl moving between frames and expressing herself saturday morning anime style. This doesn't even match the rest of the animation, so it's clearly a conscious choice to throw in a 'hawt anime gurl'.

I'm not going to get sidelined by butthurt nerds into 'OMG YOU SAID ANIME SUXXXX' because I never said anything of the sort. Anime made by fatty nerd idiots with totally inappropriate cliches sucks.

I thought it was Leela

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Are you trolling? How is Leela at all anime, working with the Third Doctor, capable of moving like she's in Yu-Gi-Oh or have giant teardrops attached to her forehead?
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

No but the character looked like an anime version of Leela, and the use of a pistol, and other leathal weapons, not wearing much (or in this version anything) would look like an anime version of her.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Except everyone else looks normal, hence the discussion about inappropriate anime cliches. Even if we decided it was Leela (for no reason) it doesn't change ANYTHING about the discussion.
Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Post by Adrian Laguna »

The "obligatory fleet sequence" was the best part, mostly because it's full of Daleks and space battlewagons, both of which are made of win and awesome.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Even though it was the least impressive piece of animation in the entire video? :lol: The 'best' part was the Doctor beating up chavs, simply because it was the most impressive demonstration of technical skill with animation.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

There's actually a general decline in the animation quality as the video goes on. Most of it is still highly impressive, but the fluidity of the animation is clearly at a peak in the first sequence. The 3D pan in the sword duel between the Doctor and the Master is probably the single most impressive 'shot', though.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Post by Adrian Laguna »

Ford Prefect wrote:Even though it was the least impressive piece of animation in the entire video? :lol: The 'best' part was the Doctor beating up chavs, simply because it was the most impressive demonstration of technical skill with animation.
It's a good thing then that I didn't like it best because it had superior animation, but rather because it had a gigantic Dalek fleet being all fleet-like and Daleky. I've watched that one scene several times because I like it so much, whereas the rest of the video I only watched a couple of times.