Clone Wars series (SPOILERS)

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Old Plympto
Jedi Master

Re: Clone Wars series (SPOILERS)

Post by Old Plympto »

Did anyone else get an awesome Combat! vibe from that episode? I was half-expecting the theme to pop up when they were marching to the capital after liberating that town, saying goodbye to the inhabitants there.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Sure, but if the minimal size of the fleet bugs you, the little backwater village where the clones need to take, bugs me. If Ryloth is big enough and important enough for the Republic to take, shouldn't it have more than just villages?
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

It does, this was just one battle.
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

Knife wrote:Sure, but if the minimal size of the fleet bugs you, the little backwater village where the clones need to take, bugs me. If Ryloth is big enough and important enough for the Republic to take, shouldn't it have more than just villages?
The village was just their beachhead. They said at the end of the episode that they were now moving on to the capital.
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
xammer99
Padawan Learner

Post by xammer99 »

That was the first episode that actually had an emotional impact. I felt SO bad for that little girl. The expressions and body language they gave her were just perfect. That really was very very well done.
Coalition
Jedi Master

Post by Coalition »

A few cute times for me were:

(Some guy threatening the droid commander): "You had better be right about that."
Tactical Droid: 'I am a droid. I am always right."

Later in the episode, when the Twi'lek hostages drag him out of his tank and rip him apart:
Tactical Droid: "Does not compute. Does not compute. Does not compute. Does not compute." (etc until he is finally decapitated)

Or the battle droid cleaning the stable:
"This is the worst job in the whole Droid Army."

He then gets locked in the cell by Obi-Wan.

Most of those don't make any sense, but they were cute. The other one that doesn't make sense is that you have an entire set of ground to space guns, and it looked like there was only one tank plus infantry defending it.

The smart moment were when the Tactical Droid deploys his own scouts to observe the clones, and one gets lucky enough to overlook the planning area being used by Obi-Wan and the Clone commanders.
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

Interesting thing about the tactical droids, on the commentary, Filoni remarks that they were created to be a throwaway villain to be defeated because he felt the larger players like Dooku shouldn't be shown being bested so often or even, being bested at all, like in the earlier part of season 1. And I agree, it's better to hold villains like him in the background as much as possible, lest they lose their impact.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

RE: The guns.

Perhaps there are several gun emplacements set all over the planet, but these were the ones protecting the capital.

Take the capital, capture Wat Tambor, and the planet is freed, so Obi-wan, being the senior Jedi commander under Mace Windu (and most experienced) gets tasked with taking out the critical gun positions screening the approach to the planetary capital.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
havocfett
Redshirt

Post by havocfett »

Coalition wrote:A few cute times for me were:
(Some guy threatening the droid commander): "You had better be right about that."
Tactical Droid: 'I am a droid. I am always right."

Later in the episode, when the Twi'lek hostages drag him out of his tank and rip him apart:
Tactical Droid: "Does not compute. Does not compute. Does not compute. Does not compute." (etc until he is finally decapitated)
I would say the second is a result of the first, though it indicates really cruddy programming for a tactical droid, it doesn't think that unarmed civilians will be a threat it therefore thinks that the situation isn't existing or that it's getting faulty info when they drag it out of a tank adn collectively smash its head in.
Shinji cheered himself up by plotting out impractical plans to off his father. By the time he got to his new school, he was grinning from ear to ear at how he had managed to perfect the plan involving a car battery, a geisha, a metric tonne of boiling ramen, and a rubber chicken. A true classic he had been working on for years.
-Thousand Shinji

"The founding fathers said that the guys with the biggest gun makes the laws"
"No, that was the British, remember those representational democracy guys? Those were the founding fathers"
-The Daily show with John Stewart
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Ok, saw episode 20 and I have to say, Kenobi's even more of a bad ass than I previously thought. :)

What exactly was it he did to those creatures? Was it some form of mind trick? The mind trick is usually in the form of a verbal suggestion, but that wouldn't nessissarily be required when dealing with an animal. Have we ever seen anything like this before, or is this a completely new power to the list of Jedi abilities? Of course, the blasters should have blown holes through those creatures, so the whole scene felt a bit contrived in the end. :?

Also, the scenes with just clones walking around in buildings were nice, since the clone animations are a lot more life like than the strange style of the character animations, and seeing a marginally functional droid was good as well. Plus, the show continued its style of being just a little on the graphic side for a kid's cartoon, between the orphan, the human shields, and the beasts biting into the clone trooper apart on screen. However, some of the episode was just a little to corny/cliche for me, and I have to say that 3 Aclamators is a rather small force for a planetary invasion. That's what, 48 thousand troops?
DesertFly
has been designed to act as a flotation device

Post by DesertFly »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Ok, saw episode 20 and I have to say, Kenobi's even more of a bad ass than I previously thought. :)

What exactly was it he did to those creatures? Was it some form of mind trick? The mind trick is usually in the form of a verbal suggestion, but that wouldn't nessissarily be required when dealing with an animal. Have we ever seen anything like this before, or is this a completely new power to the list of Jedi abilities? Of course, the blasters should have blown holes through those creatures, so the whole scene felt a bit contrived in the end. :?

I believe that this is not a new idea in Star Wars.
Proud member of the no sigs club.
charlemagne
Jedi Knight

Post by charlemagne »

The Clone Troopers also had some nice lines - like when Obi Wan said "take your best men", the Commander told two of them "come with me", and the one shrugged and said "guess we're the best".

And yeah, the girl was cute and not overdone in her cuteness. Overall, pretty nice episode.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

charlemagne wrote:The Clone Troopers also had some nice lines - like when Obi Wan said "take your best men", the Commander told two of them "come with me", and the one shrugged and said "guess we're the best".

And yeah, the girl was cute and not overdone in her cuteness. Overall, pretty nice episode.
I liked this one myself (paraphrased):

Obi-wan draws off beasts

Clone trooper: "Incredible!"

Other trooper: "Quiet rookie."

:lol:

Also, am I the only one who got an ugly suspicion that that little girl's going to grow up to be a very loyal imperial? That, or rather bitterly dissapointed in her childhood heros. Knowing what those Clone Troopers will turn into puts their parting "we'll be back" in a very different light.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Also, the scenes with just clones walking around in buildings were nice, since the clone animations are a lot more life like than the strange style of the character animations, and seeing a marginally functional droid was good as well. Plus, the show continued its style of being just a little on the graphic side for a kid's cartoon, between the orphan, the human shields, and the beasts biting into the clone trooper apart on screen. However, some of the episode was just a little to corny/cliche for me, and I have to say that 3 Aclamators is a rather small force for a planetary invasion. That's what, 48 thousand troops?
In various EU sources, Ryloth actually has quite a small inhabited area, as it's tidally locked. So I wouldn't expect the population to be that big.

It's an important planet because it's native species (I was surprised to find it's pronounced twee-leks) is very widespread, rather than that it's got a large population, or even a decent tech-base.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

The new online comic chapter shows what happened before the episode. Don't know why it didn't come out sooner. I'm not sure if this means Numa lived with her uncle and aunt all along or if the words indicate "mother" and "father". It also shows the tunnels from the episode being "shelter tunnels" usually used for harsh, local storms.
Noble713
Redshirt

Post by Noble713 »

Kenobi guiding the grenades into the droid positions with The Force was nicely done. That's the kind of force multiplication role that I expect of the Jedi (along with blaster bolt deflection), rather than just running around going apeshit with their lightsabers (Anakin & Ahsoka being the most egregious violators).
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Is there any place i can go to see pics of all the new starships in the series? Since really that's all im interested in,
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

Wookieepedia got some hi-res ones from our national broadcasting corporation. Go Norway! :mrgreen:

And I mean high resolution.
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

VT-16 wrote:Wookieepedia got some hi-res ones from our national broadcasting corporation. Go Norway! :mrgreen:

And I mean high resolution.
That is a beautiful shot of the Mal. Any chance of more like it forthcoming?
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

Sideview, same size. 8)
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

VT-16 wrote:Sideview, same size. 8)
Absolutely amazing. This will provide a nice basis for some work. It may also allow us to really settle the length question.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

We see the width of the hangars are the same. I wonder how big the one was that Padme's ship landed in. Didn't look nearly as big as the main one on the Home One. Which might go some way to helping the argument that it's 3km+ itself. In case there was still some doubt.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

I'm assuming they are the rectangular bits aft of the cylinder-ish hull structure? Seems to be three stacked and then an odd set of five with two different sizes.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

Yeah, those are the ones. We see them in some shots and they got the blue/white containment field glow around them.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Ender wrote:
VT-16 wrote:Sideview, same size. 8)
Absolutely amazing. This will provide a nice basis for some work. It may also allow us to really settle the length question.
Measuring from the smallest windows around the bridge area as a basis, using the 4m deck-to-deck figure, and compensating for the angle using the white circle (ion cannon?), I get a length of 10200 meters (10199.8178 to be exact, but with rounding errors, I'm more comfortable saying "around 10km").

So yeah, it's consistently scaling in the 10km ballpark. A dead-on side view at an even higher resolution would be nice to get it down to the nearest ten meters though.