Clone Wars series (SPOILERS)

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

VT-16
Sith Marauder

Re: Clone Wars series (SPOILERS)

Post by VT-16 »

Yup, that's the ion cannon array. Cool beans. 8)
fusion
Jedi Knight

Post by fusion »

I just noticed something... the large quad guns on the ship seem to be over 150 meters long... those are very large cannons... I wonder where those cannons went in the Imperial Navy...

Now my question is what is the firepower of those sucker... ( I will go into the petatonne range)
Lord_Xerxes
Jedi Knight

Post by Lord_Xerxes »

Darksider wrote:RE: The guns.

Perhaps there are several gun emplacements set all over the planet, but these were the ones protecting the capital.

Take the capital, capture Wat Tambor, and the planet is freed, so Obi-wan, being the senior Jedi commander under Mace Windu (and most experienced) gets tasked with taking out the critical gun positions screening the approach to the planetary capital.
My problem was less with this village being the only gun coverage for the capital, and more so that when Obi-wan turns one against the other guns that it is nowhere near the same level as firepower shown used against the ships. The clones were loading shells of some sort into the turret, but is this a case where the shells are just payloads of charge like a blaster pack? (Someone refresh me about the RoTS broadside cannons. Were those flak guns, or were they firing beams like this thing was? I vaguely recall a discussion here about them at one point) Did Obi-Wan dial down the power setting, because it seemed like he was still expending a round per fire.

Also, the thing was called a "proton cannon" right? Are we meant to infer this was a torpedo cannon, or something new they just cooked up? The thing was firing beams though, wasn't it? *confused*

If it's the case that it's something new and not just a fancy name for a turbolaser or heavy laser cannon, perhaps they should avoid naming it so close to something already established in the cannon with a completely different mechanism.
"And as I promised, I said I would read from the bible..." "...And if we could turn our bible to Pslams..."Happy shall he be that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones." (Pslams 137:9) So let me ask you a question? Who is the worst influence, God or Marilyn Manson?" "God!" "And if that's not the best fucking example, God HIMSELF killed his own MOTHER FUCKING SON!"-Marilyn Manson

"Don't fuck with a Jedi Master, son..." -M.H in J.A.S.B.S.B
Achieved ultimate Doom (post 666) on Mon Aug 18, 2003 10:38 pm
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

However they work, its no surprise that Obi-wan fired a lower power shot. What's the alternative, firing a blast powerful enough to bring down an Aclamator at a target in close proximity?
Lord_Xerxes
Jedi Knight

Post by Lord_Xerxes »

Lord_Xerxes wrote:
Darksider wrote:RE: The guns.

Perhaps there are several gun emplacements set all over the planet, but these were the ones protecting the capital.

Take the capital, capture Wat Tambor, and the planet is freed, so Obi-wan, being the senior Jedi commander under Mace Windu (and most experienced) gets tasked with taking out the critical gun positions screening the approach to the planetary capital.
My problem was less with this village being the only gun coverage for the capital, and more so that when Obi-wan turns one against the other guns that it is nowhere near the same level as firepower shown used against the ships. The clones were loading shells of some sort into the turret, but is this a case where the shells are just payloads of charge like a blaster pack? (Someone refresh me about the RoTS broadside cannons. Were those flak guns, or were they firing beams like this thing was? I vaguely recall a discussion here about them at one point) Did Obi-Wan dial down the power setting, because it seemed like he was still expending a round per fire.

Also, the thing was called a "proton cannon" right? Are we meant to infer this was a torpedo cannon, or something new they just cooked up? The thing was firing beams though, wasn't it? *confused*

If it's the case that it's something new and not just a fancy name for a turbolaser or heavy laser cannon, perhaps they should avoid naming it so close to something already established in the cannon with a completely different mechanism.
Ghetto Edit. I see this topic is being discussed in the other thread, which I hadn't seen initially. My bad.
"And as I promised, I said I would read from the bible..." "...And if we could turn our bible to Pslams..."Happy shall he be that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones." (Pslams 137:9) So let me ask you a question? Who is the worst influence, God or Marilyn Manson?" "God!" "And if that's not the best fucking example, God HIMSELF killed his own MOTHER FUCKING SON!"-Marilyn Manson

"Don't fuck with a Jedi Master, son..." -M.H in J.A.S.B.S.B
Achieved ultimate Doom (post 666) on Mon Aug 18, 2003 10:38 pm
Coalition
Jedi Master

Post by Coalition »

That Tactical droid was a bastard this episode. Count Dooku tells Wat Tanbor (organic in charge of the Ryloth campaign) to get on board the transport, as the Separatists do not want Wat to be captured. Dooku then gives orders to the droid to make sure Wat Tanbor does not stay behind.

After the communnications are over, Wat Tanbor tells the droid they are not leaving until all of the treasure is on board. The droid then looks at Wat and while holding up the holocomm (where they got their orders from Count Dooku) and says, "We have our orders". Basically, Wat was no longer in charge of when he would leave. The Tactical Droid orders Wat's shuttle prepped for takeoff, and Wat says he is not leaving without the last 2 transports of treasure. The Tactical Droid agrees, but "we have a schedule". The Droid is informing Wat Tanbor that it will not let Wat's greed affect his escape.

Later on, Wat orders droid bombers to attack the nearby Twi'lek villages, and then adds to target the inhabited ones first. The Tactical Droid just says, "of course;" I'm willing to bet the Tactical Droid had preloaded those villages as the primary targets.

Finally, after the Republic has gotten into the capital city (plasma bridge?), and Wat is running to his shuttle to escape, he sees the door close, and the shuttle lift off. Inside the shuttle, the Tactical Droid informs Count Dooku that Wat Tanbor decided to stay behind. And since the droid is not a living being, Count Dooku has to accept what the droid says.

Other notes:
The hand gestures used by the Tactical Droid were different this time. I wonder if the different gestures are tied into which part of the programming the droid uses for its primary battle strategies. So if one prefers to use the clasped hand gesture, it tends to use human shields or other low-cost high-effect tactics. Another one prefers efficiency, a third rapid strikes to weaken enemy positions, a fourth prefers heavy forces to destroy, etc.

So the Jedi (and the audience) start getting used to certain droids have a certain hand gesture and preferring a certain tactic. A later episode though, shows a droid changing hand gestures, and the viewer realizes that the droid is changing tactics based on the situation. The gestures get more complex over time, until the Tactical Droids are one step short of a human commander, but capable of being manufactured in large quantities.
DarkAscendant
Redshirt

Post by DarkAscendant »

"Our exit strategy is taking more time to implement."

LOL :lol:
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

I like all the references to the larger conflict on the planet. Multiple locations and even a mention of how the initial droid invasion swept over the entire planet. Nice stuff. Also, go turncoat tactical droid. Smartest one yet. I also liked Tambor's seeming reconcilliation with the bombing attack on the capital. He's no Nute "quaking in his boots" Gunray.
Murazor
Jedi Council Member

Post by Murazor »

VT-16 wrote:I like all the references to the larger conflict on the planet. Multiple locations and even a mention of how the initial droid invasion swept over the entire planet. Nice stuff. Also, go turncoat tactical droid. Smartest one yet. I also liked Tambor's seeming reconcilliation with the bombing attack on the capital. He's no Nute "quaking in his boots" Gunray.
He seems remarkably matter of fact.

"We are all about to perish for the greater glory of the Separatist Alliance. Nice meeting you, general Windu."

Also, did anybody else see in the preview for next week's episode someone who I think might be Aurra Sing?
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Yeah, thought I saw a flash of her, Sing. More interested in the Duros guy in the wide brim hat.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Did anyone else catch the part where Anakin said he was mopping up more Separatist warships?

Since the blockade ships were annihilated in the first episode, These must have been different ships. Whadda ya think, a few cruisers jumping in in a last ditch attempt to save the Ryloth garrison or something?
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

I liked the droids in this episode, they didn't seem quite so dumb. I particularly enjoyed the tactical droid just leaving Tambor to his fate.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Darksider wrote:Did anyone else catch the part where Anakin said he was mopping up more Separatist warships?

Since the blockade ships were annihilated in the first episode, These must have been different ships. Whadda ya think, a few cruisers jumping in in a last ditch attempt to save the Ryloth garrison or something?

I think he was referring to the fighter/bombers.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Oh. And I liked that the Vulture Bombers seem very much to be a clone wars version of TIE bombers.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

Knife wrote:I think he was referring to the fighter/bombers.
He said he had "cruisers on the run", so there were some capital ships as well.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

NecronLord wrote:I liked the droids in this episode, they didn't seem quite so dumb. I particularly enjoyed the tactical droid just leaving Tambor to his fate.
Yeah.

Even the B-1 commander at the beginning showed some tactical skill when he ordered his forces to target the lead and rear walkers to pin the convoy down. Too bad he didn't count on Mace Windu's badassery.

Also, Did anyone else note that the walkers seemed to be impervious to the AAT's main cannon fire? They only managed to disable the lead walker with a direct hit to one of the legs, despite scoring several direct hits to the main body.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

I also need to point out my favorite action sequence so far is probably the one on the plasma bridge as it's shutting down. I literally got goosebumps when the siren played (Silent Hill flashbacks) and the whole silence while Mace is trying to escape. I hope to see similarly inventive scenes in upcoming stories.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I am really getting concerned about firepower level. Why didn't the Seperatist tanks fire at the walkway and collapsed it? (when the republic walkers made their slow ascent). It should have been real easy if those tanks can fire weaponry in the MT range.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

It actually looked like they were trying, we see some of the ground collapse towards the edge.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Yeah,but the majority of the fire was directed at the walkers and the ground tumbling away didn't really look that much - certainly not what you'd expect after getting hit with MT blasts.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Thanas wrote:Yeah,but the majority of the fire was directed at the walkers and the ground tumbling away didn't really look that much - certainly not what you'd expect after getting hit with MT blasts.
Haven't seen the episode, but how close were the guns to the walkers? Because if they were right on top of each other, they'd probably be reluctant to start pumping out MT-level blasts.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

The tactical droid and the commando (is that what they are called?) droids that entered the bridge control room were the most effective, I thought.
Darksider wrote:
Also, Did anyone else note that the walkers seemed to be impervious to the AAT's main cannon fire? They only managed to disable the lead walker with a direct hit to one of the legs, despite scoring several direct hits to the main body.
Watching it again right now and I noticed that some of the shots that hit the walker (before it lost a leg) seemed to hit the "open" spaces in front of and behind the center side leg. There didn't seem to be any explosion, however. The thing kept on going until it lost the leg.

Speaking of that walker, that was a nice touch of Windu shattering the transparency and pulling out the pilot.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Thanas wrote:Yeah,but the majority of the fire was directed at the walkers and the ground tumbling away didn't really look that much - certainly not what you'd expect after getting hit with MT blasts.
Haven't seen the episode, but how close were the guns to the walkers? Because if they were right on top of each other, they'd probably be reluctant to start pumping out MT-level blasts.

A few hundred meters. But those are droids. Why didn't the seperatist commander order them to - if necessary - blow themselves up, to sacrifice 20+ droids in exchange for the main columm of the Republic army?
------------
------------
My LPs
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Thanas wrote:A few hundred meters. But those are droids. Why didn't the seperatist commander order them to - if necessary - blow themselves up, to sacrifice 20+ droids in exchange for the main columm of the Republic army?
The droids in the control room certainly weren't reluctant to sacrifice their fellows. The one saw Windu and his men on the transport and cut the power to the bridge pretty quickly. It actually said something like, "Too bad for them," speaking of the other droids in the vehicles.

Did anyone else notice the commando droid bursting in behind the B1 droids in the control room, picking up one of the B1s and then throwing it at the clone troops? Very slick.
Darwin
Jedi Master

Post by Darwin »

FSTargetDrone wrote: Did anyone else notice the commando droid bursting in behind the B1 droids in the control room, picking up one of the B1s and then throwing it at the clone troops? Very slick.
The commando droids actually gave the boys some trouble. In general I like those things, and they were just used better in this episode than in the past. They're fast and quiet and menacing. Also the Vulture Bombers were very neat to see.