Let's Play: Star Wars Empire at War

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Necromancer of Rath
Padawan Learner

Re: Let's Play: Star Wars Empire at War

Post by Necromancer of Rath »

From the random available flat surface of Commodore Sate Morano Rath:
Given my slight dislike of the bloody robots, I would tend towards a few big ships to add to the task force to take Mygeeto from their cold, durasteel appendages. Of course, my advice is likely suspect due to the First Battle of Mygeeto.

In a more reasonable sense, it would seem that beginning to shore up our borders would be the best way to go. What with the being surrounded and the attack...wait, no...comedy antics of the Blood God cultists. I'd say favoring the 'north' end as so far there hasn't been any real sign of a potential threat from the 'south'. Especially with the big fuck off ship and task force in the area.
Karmic Knight
Jedi Master

Post by Karmic Knight »

Ideally, I would like to see another three or so big fuck off ships/taskforces in the near future, one for each general 'front' th Empire faces. Add in another for forward strike capability, and we are a force to be feared in the Galaxy.
This is an empty country and I am it's king, and I should not be allowed to touch anything.
Necromancer of Rath
Padawan Learner

Post by Necromancer of Rath »

Quite true. When I look at this beyond my personal goal of Mygeeto/fucking robots though, it seems like it would be best to see to the Empire's guard before gathering larger assault task forces. Perhaps it's the having the option to actually be properly on guard that sways my opinion.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Starglider wrote:Yes but don't worry, at this rate you will have a new ship soon.

With regard to construction, there is sufficient income to do one of these things per week;
* Build 2/3 of a star dreadnought.
* Build two large cruisers.
* Build four destroyers or light carriers.
* Build full space or ground defences on one planet.
* Build a complete planetary garrison on three planets.
* Remove corruption across about 50% of Imperial space.

Thanas:

Estimates show that removing corruption uses 1500 per planet, which is also the prize of a new strike cruiser. Therefore, unless we really are in dire straits income wise, I would suggest not doing that on many worlds. However, at least one system should feel the wrath of the emperor.

A complete planetary garrison is of little worth IMO as it implies our forces won't be able to hold the space. If we cannot hold the space, garrisons might enable our forces to survive on a besieged planet, but they will inevitably succumb. Therefore, ships seem to be the better option.

Space and ground defenses are a good situation, but our fleet has taken several losses. In the shape it is now, I doubt it can survive an enemy strike, less lead an offensive. Therefore, the first priority should be ship construction.

So Star Dreadnoughts can now be built. This is interesting, as they can be the rock our fleet can fall back on in case the battle gets tough. But we do need guns fast and Dreadnought production takes time. Still, we need to save for one.

I therefore would suggest building 2 strike cruisers while removing corruption on one world and saving the rest for Dreadnought construction. Estimates have shown that Dreadnoughts are able to take whole systems on their own and we need something to bolster morale against cultists. The sight of a 12 mile-long dagger plunging in their hearts should be sufficient for that.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Karmic Knight
Jedi Master

Post by Karmic Knight »

I believe that Staff Officer Thanas has come up with a compromise between shear firepower, economic prestige, economic necessity, and attrition necessity that is able to sufficiently cover for the aforementioned factors that it bears implementation.
This is an empty country and I am it's king, and I should not be allowed to touch anything.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Over the preceding week, the amount of subversive activity in the Empire increased tremendously. Installations exploded without warning on many worlds. The enemy seemed to be focusing in particular on the long range scanner installations, perhaps hoping to strip the Empire of its early warning capability. The recently colonised Gaius system was the worst hit, losing its newly built surface-to-orbit batteries and its weapons factory complex. Efforts to rebuild what was lost began immediately.

-----

It was the most powerful force the empire had assembled to date.

Even as the remains of Task Force Reprisal were limping home from Mygeeto, Task Force Biocide was preparing to get underway. The intelligence returned from the latest batch of Companion Cube Droids was disturbing. None of the droids had lasted long in the target system, but before they had been destroyed they had sent back some very disturbing images. The logs showed mottled, twisted, organic shapes, rising from a great complex of pulsing spheres and jutting spines, spitting fire from numerous orifices.

Admiral Sheppard reviewed his fleet organisation. It was not nearly as comprehensive as he would like - many of his subordinates whispered that that would not happen until all matter in the universe had been turned into HAB weaponry – but it should be sufficient for the task at hand.

Code: Select all

Task Force Biocide - Admiral Sheppard Commanding
  Main Battle Unit
    INS Star Fist       - StellarFortress - Battlecruiser - Admiral Sheppard
    INS Big Stick       - Peacemaker      - Star Cruiser  - Captain Julian
    INS Darth           - Peacemaker      - Star Cruiser  - Captain Onasi
    INS Final Judgement - Peacemaker      - Star Cruiser  - Captain Pelranius
  Starfighter Support Squadron
    INS Lucky Bastard   - Legacy          - Light Carrier - Commodore Hotfoot
    INS Black Prince    - Legacy          - Light Carrier - Captain Verhec
    INS Full Refund     - Legacy          - Light Carrier - Captain Nephtys
    INS Thermopylae     - Legacy          - Light Carrier - Captain Spartan
  Space Superiority Squadron
    INS Dharma II       - Guardian        - Gunboat       - Commodore Knight
    INS Knight          - Guardian        - Gunboat       - Commander Net
    INS Python          - Guardian        - Gunboat       - Commander Monty
    INS Monster         - Guardian        - Gunboat       - Commander Lag
    INS Degan           - Guardian        - Gunboat       - Lieutennant Commander Patrick
    INS Snardbody       - Guardian        - Gunboat       - Lieutennant Commander Zed
The fleet dropped into realspace low over Corulag, intending to catch the enemy off guard. Contact with the enemy was almost immediate.

Seemingly endless swarms of enemy fighters were arrayed between the fleet and its objective, closing fast. The Imperial carriers started launching fighters as fast as they could, but it fell to Commodore Knight's squadron to hold off the first wave. The six gunboats roared ahead, aiming to catch the bizarre enemy fighters in a crossfire. Their guns had surprisingly little effect however, and the enemy destroyers soon retaliated.

“Ah, the machine-slaves come to visit us, as I knew you would. This conflict is inevitable, yet unnecessary. You have clung to your machines for so long, and now at last we have come, ready to show you a better path. Alas, I sense that you will need some persuading.” Every officer, every crewman in the Imperial fleet could hear the strange voice in their minds.

The INS Snardbody reacted slower than the rest of the squadron, her green crew lacking the practiced precision of the Knight's or the Dharma II's. The enemy concentrated fire and the gunboat burst apart into a cloud of flaming debris.

“It is so sad, ending your existence before you even have the chance to appreciate the true glory of the organic. I suppose you are already half-dead though, trapped in your space-going coffins?” The female voice was soft, almost sensual, yet with an alien sibilance and hungry undertone that made Admiral Sheppard's skin crawl.

“Jam that transmission! I will not have enemy propaganda in my comms system.”

“It isn't in the comm sir... I don't know how they're doing it. Some sort of telepathy?”

“Get out of my head damnit!”

”Admiral Sheppard, I am Co-ordinator Lakeena, and I am here to show you the true path, whether you like it or not.”

“Very well. We will silence than transmission at the source. Main Battle Unit, concentrate fire on the closest enemy capital ship. Captain Julian, take the lead.”

“Aye sir.”

The hideous enemy cruiser had an unnatural resistance to turbolaser fire, even with its shields gone it took far longer to die than any creature of bone and flesh should. Finally the incoming bolts began to tear its vitals apart. The thing died with a horrible psychic wail that left many of the Imperial crew temporarily stunned. An enemy destroyer soon followed; it had gotten too close to the Imperial carriers and massed fire from their self-defence armament blew it apart.

“Despoilers! What value do your ugly wedges, your dead metal ships have compared to the grace and elegance of our leviathans? Even your people, yes I have the measure of you know, almost machines yourselves with your rules and your hierarchies and your cold determination to kill. I can see that I must teach you the error of your ways.”

The enemy counter-attack was ferocious. In pressing the assault on the enemy cruiser, the Imperial cruisers had left their carriers exposed, an opportunity the remaining enemy destroyers exploited.

“Captain Nephtys! Don't leave the formation! They'll pick you off...”

“Sorry sir! Damage to the engines, took us a while to correct the differential thrust. Oh no.. sir, the station is firing on us!”

The INS Full Refund disappeared in a chain of explosions as magazines full of bomber ordnance were touched off. The ship was blasted apart before any of her crew could make it off.

Meanwhile Lieutennant WesFox was fighting desperately to save the Final Judgement. The big cruiser was being harried by a vast number of enemy fighters, which were administering a death of one thousand cuts. WesFox killed what he could, but his TIE Defenders were so few, too few – and the regular TIEs were not in the same league as the enemy fighters.

“I'm sorry sir, we can't stop them. Recommend that you abandon ship.”

“Too late for that son.” Captain Pelranius's voice was grave but firm. “They're blasting the escape pods anyway. Don't be guilty. You did your best...”

In the CIC of the Star Fist, Admiral Sheppard watched his cruiser die, his face an emotionless mask.

“The enemy destroyers are focusing on the Thermopylae now, she's about to lose shields. Our cruisers are engaging that support ship.”

“Maximum thrust, all tubes. Risk overload if you have to, but get us into the thick of it. And put me on the PA.”

“This is Admiral Sheppard. All rules of hereby engagement are suspended, all batteries to fire on targets of opportunity. I would rather accept the loss of a few of our own ships, than let the enemy have this battle.”

Intensive fire from the Star First eliminated the second enemy capital ship, at the cost of wiping out the INS Monster with friendly fire. The battered carrier squadron managed to claim another organic destroyer.

All of the enemy's attention was on the Star First, and Captain Julian had exploited this to bring the two remaining Imperial cruisers within point-blank range of the enemy station. Heavy turbolasers spoke and the giant structure was soon bereft of shields and leaking atmosphere.

“No, you must not! What monsters are you, that you would try to destroy the nest-spaces of the People? Why do you not see that we are better than you, that absorption into the Biosphere is the best fate you could wish for?” The alien voice was almost pleading, but the tone soon changed. “If you will not listen, then you must die.”

Fresh waves of fighters launched from the station and headed straight for the INS Thermopylae. The carrier almost disappeared in a flurry of short-range mass-driver fire. The enemy's heavy guns focused on the Big Stick, pounding the cruiser's engine section. The bombardment was accompanied by waves of unarmed ships, freighters perhaps, that seemed dead set on ramming her. The cruiser's guns blasted most of them apart, but the heavy rain of debris continued on a ballistic trajectory and slammed into her hull.

“What the devil are they doing?” Admiral Sheppard mused. His question was quickly answered.

“Sir, this is Julian, we've lost propulsion, pinpoint strikes on all thrust tubes. I think they're... confirmed, sir those impacts destabilised our orbit. We're falling into the upper atmosphere.”

The INS Big Stick spiralled down out of orbit, wreathed in flames as she plunged deeper into the planet's atmosphere. It was curtains for the INS Thermopylae as well, blasted in half by a massive final mass-driver salvo. This was to be the enemy's last gasp. All of their warships were debris and Commodore Knight's squadron had finally managed to kill the bulk of their fighters. The station was a wreck; Lieutenant Commander Redleader had been steadily picking off weapons emplacements with his bomber squadrons, and there were few operable systems left.

Admiral Sheppard ordered his flagship to close to point blank range. “Finnish it.”

“Murderers! Machine-minded zombies! This was merely the newest of our outposts, the weakest of our defences! I will return, and when I do you will submit!”

“What, she wasn't on the station?”

“Sorry sir... a small ship just jumped out... it had been holding position in high orbit, didn't pay it any heed. I guess that was her shuttle.”

“We will hunt her down, Lieutenant. She can run, but she cannot hide from the Empire forever.”

The victory at Corulag was achieved at the highest cost ever paid by the Empire. There was no ground invasion; the planet's biosphere was almost completely transformed by the bizarre alien life, and large organic structures dotted the surface. Admiral Sheppard ordered Base Delta Zero, to commence as soon as the surviving crew had been rescued from the wreck of the Big Stick.

It was the first time the planetary extermination protocol had been enacted in the history of the Rationalist Empire. It would prove to be the first of many. For days the Star Fists's turbolasers unleashed hell on the surface, charring vegetation to ash, burning away the hideous alien structures, heating the crust until it began to liquefy. When she was done the planet had been reduced to a barren wasteland, completely devoid of life.

-----

Excerpt from 'With Flag and Turbolaser', Chapter 6 'Henceforth, we are the Damned', by Fleet Admiral Uthin Samuel.

With the luxury of hindsight, the attack on Gaius was inevitable. You have to understand that at the time we were fixated on the underworld and the blood god cultists as two independent threats. Little consideration had been given to the notion that whether they knew it or not, there could be a common ultimate master.

The planet was defended by the Victory-class INS Gallifrey, commanded by Captain Parallax, and a medium-sized defence platform. The surface-to-orbit batteries had of course been knocked out by sabotage a few days earlier. A full account of the battle has been given in many other works, such as the excellent “Grave of Heroes : A History of The Gaius System”, so I will restrict myself to the essentials.

The lead elements of the enemy fleet arrived with massive fighter support. Their bombers were primarily armed with ion cannon, which they concentrated on the Gallifrey. The ship quickly lost shields and suffered damage to its fire control systems.

The crews went to manual control and returned fire with an amazing ferocity. Despite horrible damage and overwhelming odds, Captain Parallax led his crew in the destruction of a frigate and a gunship before weight of numbers overwhelmed him.

The destruction of the INS Gallifrey left the station unsupported. In a desperation move, construction workers at the orbital docks launched the incomplete Tartan gunboats they had been fitting out. The ships performed more than admirably considering their poor condition and the non-existent training of their crews.

The two Tartans, combined with fire from the station itself managed to destroy three more enemy light frigates. Meanwhile the station's fighter garrison made a gallant effort, sending many cultist fighter pilots to an early grave.

Ultimately though the enemy numbers were simply too great.

The enemy had apparently learnt from their experience at Weyland; at Gaius their troop transports were following close behind the attack fleet, deploying before we could mount any kind of relief effort. To this day I'm not sure why they didn't jam the video transmission from our ground forces, I find it very unlikely that they lacked the capability. I suspect they took pleasure in knowing that we would be forced to watch helplessly as they massacred our people.

With the loss of most of her production and defence facilities, the situation on Gaius was grim. The civillians huddled in the one structure that still had some cover from orbital fire, a small durasteel smelting plant. Efforts were made to set up defensive turrets, but the cowardly infiltrators had stolen vital parts from the armoury. All Lieutenant Flagg could do was deploy his stormtroopers near the refinery and wait for the cultists to attack. When an enemy scouting force began firing AT rockets at the structure, he delivered a quick and deadly response.

Alas, it soon became apparent that enemy had sacrificed their infantry with the express purpose of drawing Lieutenant Flagg's force into the open.

The enemy artillery made short work of the entire Imperial garrison, and when once that was done the cultists marched forward.

The enemy tanks drew up in front of the refinery in a line. For a few moments they just held position, motionless. A few of our civilians began to shout out, offering unconditional surrender, promising anything if only their families would be spared. All they heard in return was a discordant chanting, the foul litany rising to a crescendo and then breaking down into howls and whoops as the rockets fired again.

No mercy was shown. A few tried to run from the collapsing refinery, but the rapid-fire quad lasers on the enemy tanks cut them down before they got ten metres. I can clearly recall watching the feed from the external cameras, grimacing at each innocent death right up until the point that the final barrage cut the transmission.

The Gaius system was now in the hands of the Blood God. This was the first time any Imperial planet had fallen completely into the hands of our enemies.

What was worse, with our fleets ravaged from the engagements at Mygeeto and Corulag, an immediate counter-attack was impossible.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Fleet Communications: Captain Crossroads
Re: Imperial Losses

This is a dark day for the new Imperial war machine. Once more we have lost a planet to rabel who should not be worthy to even darken our doorstep. Yet with our forces continuously engaged we lack the backbone needed to ward of such assaults upon our homeworlds.

Even recent victories have come at far too high a Price to warrent such expenditures of resources.

The constant march of expansion Must be stopped! We shall never retake the whole of our Galaxy if we cannot properly defend the territory we have claimed! As a Senior Officer (one who has survived longer then most) I am making an impassioned plee for the bulk of our military forces to be recalled and consolidated. Until we can be more secure and certain in our planetary defenses we should withdraw our forces to defend our borders.

This is not an admission of defeat, far from it. When the time is right we will leap once more and strike down those who oppose us with a mighty blow. but it must come when we ARE ready, and not before.

To this end I recommend the focusing of our industrial might on the construction of StarDreadnaughts for our military needs and the manufacturing of Destroyers such as the Legacy and Victory for homeworld defense. No planet should be without at least two such light destroyers to ward off assaults.

Captain Crossroads
Lord High CEO Crossroads Inc
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Darth Onasi
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Onasi »

Damn you Starglider, this thread has convinced me to reinstall and play this game. Are you happy now? Are you??

ps. INS Darth? Best name for a ship ever!
If I had something interesting, profound or incredibly stupid to say, it would go here.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Darth Onasi wrote:Damn you Starglider, this thread has convinced me to reinstall and play this game. Are you happy now? Are you??
You know counting PMs, I think you are the fifth person to say that to me.

Truly this thread shall be my supreme achievement in Evil.

Incidentally I sent the XML code I wrote to define the custom campaign I'm using to Thanas, if anyone else wants it just ask.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Quick request for future events... I know we receive a list of ships LOST in battle, but can we get a list of totl ships before a battle? I want to know the full list of forces that defeated us.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

My first battle and I lost my ship. :cry: On the other hand, since it was death by reentry, I probably had time to get to an escape pod and perhaps, with enough bribes, might survive the court martial and command a ship again.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

Clearly what we need is a First Space Lord. The Navy needs to be placed under more centralized control. Like Napoleon said, one bad general is better than two good ones. :)
Best care anywhere.
Darth Onasi
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Onasi »

CaptHawkeye wrote:Clearly what we need is a First Space Lord. The Navy needs to be placed under more centralized control. Like Napoleon said, one bad general is better than two good ones. :)
I believe Hitler disproved that theory. :P
If I had something interesting, profound or incredibly stupid to say, it would go here.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

CaptHawkeye wrote:Clearly what we need is a First Space Lord. The Navy needs to be placed under more centralized control. Like Napoleon said, one bad general is better than two good ones. :)
That would be Grand Moff Stuart, but he hasn't been in the last few updates.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Starglider wrote:You know counting PMs, I think you are the fifth person to say that to me.

Truly this thread shall be my supreme achievement in Evil.
The worst part is, I now want Forces of Corruption, which I didn't get the first time around (only base EaW). So now I'll have to buy the Gold Edition, with both EaW and FoC in it so I can play this mod.

Damn you! *insert Uraniun's shaking fist smiley here*
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
montypython
Jedi Master

Post by montypython »

RogueIce wrote: The worst part is, I now want Forces of Corruption, which I didn't get the first time around (only base EaW). So now I'll have to buy the Gold Edition, with both EaW and FoC in it so I can play this mod.

You should be able to get the expansion pack separately still on the net, from what I can tell.
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

:shock: We were defeated?!

How...disappointing. :(

I'm gonna need a bigger ship. You still haven't forgotten the name, have you? :wink:
An inhabitant from the Island of Cars.
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

We should assemble our fleet's into a single force and simply pound the nearest enemy into dust. As it is forces are too spread out in local defense flotillas.

BTW, this thread is not complete until someone photo shops a picture of Jellicoe with an Imperial Uniform.
Best care anywhere.
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

CaptHawkeye wrote:We should assemble our fleet's into a single force and simply pound the nearest enemy into dust. As it is forces are too spread out in local defense flotillas.

BTW, this thread is not complete until someone photo shops a picture of Jellicoe with an Imperial Uniform.
Why Jellicoe ? Better Nelson: "The Empire demands that every being does its duty"

The fleet should concentrate on the systems absolutely necessary: those with shipyards and/or good industrial bases as long as we have to rebuild. We can afford to loose an underdeveloped system for a few turns. this way, any output of the yards can't be picked off one by one.

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

Our victories seem more Phyric than glorious, our defeats caused by either lack of material or lack of preparation. Our ships remain outmoded, and our empire is infested by traitors most foul. It is this last issue that I must demand be cleared up post-haste. We need to get Imperial Intelligence equipped with more than just probe droids with suicidal tendencies in order to run the needed counter espionage and clear up the rampant corruption. Given our limited rates of production, we must make sure that the deepdocks remain open, that our mines and recycling efforts continue full force and that acts of sabotage are ruthlessly avenged.

We are the Rationalist Empire, and we must act in accordance with logic and reason. My logic tells me that our problems at home come before our expansion abroad.
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

These defeats have all been due to undersized defense fleets and outdated ships. We need to abandon our efforts to expand for now and focus on reinforcing our frontier and developing new technology. Only then will we be able to bring reason to the entire galaxy.

These "Vong" must be dealt with soon. How do they have biotic ships capable of standing up to our technology? We must learn how this is possible, and use our superior technology against them.
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

Fleet Communications: Captain Force
Re: Imperial Losses

I must point out, however, that in concentrating on our home front, we will let the enemy retain the initiative. Of course, this can be dealt with increased defenses, but the fact that we are not attacking might be bad for morale.

Regarding the sabotages, the scum who siphon off our strengh cannot be ignored for long. By wasting credits on rebuilding, we end up with little else for our other needs. Planets with high resource production must be given priority in any future offensive. At the same time, we must ruthlessly cull from our ranks any traitors and saboteours who try to hurt our efforts. We need strategies to eliminate the corruption in our worlds, and so maximize ther potential. I am open to any suggestions.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

montypython wrote:
RogueIce wrote: The worst part is, I now want Forces of Corruption, which I didn't get the first time around (only base EaW). So now I'll have to buy the Gold Edition, with both EaW and FoC in it so I can play this mod.

You should be able to get the expansion pack separately still on the net, from what I can tell.
You wouldn't happen to know where? It'd be nice, but all my Googling got me was Amazon and Best Buy, both of whom only have the Gold Edition. Well, I did find FoC stand-alone on Amazon, but the price was $64. No, I don't know why.

I could go to one of those other "new" sellers, but with shipping it'll probably be almost as much as the Gold Edition anyway, so why not*? I don't like buying used, so that won't help.

*According to my calculator, a whopping $2-3, before whatever tax there is.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

To: Everyone
RE: CHILL

Fellow colleagues, let us remind ourselves that we are imperial officers. That means acting with dignity instead of immediately screeching for a change of grand strategy after a few setbacks. Our grand strategy is sound, what is troubling are implementation choices.

That said, our defeat at Gaius was not that much of a defeat when we realize the relative value lost. Indeed, the space station was far less worth than the ships the enemy lost and the only thing that makes it a defeat is the fact that we have lost a planet and of course the loss of INS Gallifrey.

Which makes me question why the Gallifrey was assigned to the system in the first place. I would submit that sending out lone cruisers to defend unimportant worlds is both dangerous and wasteful. They should only act in concert with the fleet. I see someone at headquarters did not follow the manual on space combat.

I am far less enthusiastic about our "victory" at Corulag, though. An attack on a star system, backed up by a star dreadnought and lead by several starcruisers should not have resulted in such casualties. I would submit that such an attack should be led by the Star Dreadnought and the heaviest ships following in close formation. The Dreadnought can afford to lose its shields and cover our forces, starcruisers cannot.

I would submit that due to the waste of our fleet at Corulag, the empire should consolidate the lone wolf cruisers into the fleet led by our remaining dreadnought. That fleet should be stationed one world behind the frontlines so that it may jump quickly to any trouble. Once we have refilled our losses, we may be able to form a second fleet to take off the preasure from the northern sector.

What is not helpful is the characterizing of rebuilding our fleet as "wasteful", especially since procuring new ships is the only way to gain any flexible strength. Corruption is an issue, yes, but not the most pressing one.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

To: Everyone
RE: CHILL

We agree with your position Thanas. Indeed, if we cannot rebuild our fleet to a sufficient size, then our reaction to any attack will be severely impaired.