Let's Play: Star Wars Empire at War

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

montypython
Jedi Master

Re: Let's Play: Star Wars Empire at War

Post by montypython »

RogueIce wrote:
montypython wrote:
RogueIce wrote: The worst part is, I now want Forces of Corruption, which I didn't get the first time around (only base EaW). So now I'll have to buy the Gold Edition, with both EaW and FoC in it so I can play this mod.

Damn you! *insert Uraniun's shaking fist smiley here*
You should be able to get the expansion pack separately still on the net, from what I can tell.
You wouldn't happen to know where? It'd be nice, but all my Googling got me was Amazon and Best Buy, both of whom only have the Gold Edition. Well, I did find FoC stand-alone on Amazon, but the price was $64. No, I don't know why.

I could go to one of those other "new" sellers, but with shipping it'll probably be almost as much as the Gold Edition anyway, so why not*? I don't like buying used, so that won't help.

*According to my calculator, a whopping $2-3, before whatever tax there is.
Oops, I double-checked and found that the site I was looking at was a UK site selling it, my mistake.

Here's a site that's selling it new for $16, but if the Gold pack is cheaper feel free to go for that then.
Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

Force Lord wrote:Fleet Communications: Captain Force
Re: Imperial Losses

I must point out, however, that in concentrating on our home front, we will let the enemy retain the initiative. Of course, this can be dealt with increased defenses, but the fact that we are not attacking might be bad for morale.

Regarding the sabotages, the scum who siphon off our strengh cannot be ignored for long. By wasting credits on rebuilding, we end up with little else for our other needs. Planets with high resource production must be given priority in any future offensive. At the same time, we must ruthlessly cull from our ranks any traitors and saboteours who try to hurt our efforts. We need strategies to eliminate the corruption in our worlds, and so maximize ther potential. I am open to any suggestions.
'Waste' is hardly the term I would use. It should be remembered that purging corruption from our ranks and consolidating our gains is a means to an end-the renewed expansion of our fleets with more modern and capable designs as well as the safety and security that can only come from well developed fortifications. We can begin obtaining these now, but doing so puts a strain on our economy at the same time that we are being attacked from within. Without credits flowing throughout the Empire, our forces could well grind to a total halt.
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

montypython wrote:Here's a site that's selling it new for $16, but if the Gold pack is cheaper feel free to go for that then.
Alas,
The site wrote:Star Wars Empire At War: Forces Of Corruption Expansion Pack
OUT OF STOCK
I figure unless I find a digital download of it between now and Monday I might as well order the GE.

To the topic of the thread, I say you court-martial Sheppard. For taking such heavy losses to those bio-wanking Vong. What kind of HABer is that? Next we'll find out he employs AT-ATs on ground assaults!

EDIT: And it's not the HAB without a show trial or forty, anyway.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

I call for the immediate CourtMarshail of Commander Rogue Ice for daring to put forth a Court Marshail proposal for a HAB flag ranker, in keeping with HABREG 2312.19290.12FG
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

I say that both courtmartials should be dropped immediately as equally frivolous as we need every able bodied officer we can in these troubled times. What with the hideous attrition rate we're suffering.

On the subject of preparations I would put forward the idea of a response fleet for defensive operations consisting of a full pack, that is four, of strike cruisers for anti capital ship work with one or two carriers and a gunship to provide antifighter support. This blend of capabilities should provide a modestly priced defensive squadron that we can assemble the elements for while engaging in a partial corruption cleanse focusing on our key production worlds.

However I must question my own proposal in light of the limited intelligence revealed to us on the strength of the enemy attacks and to whether this squadron will prove sufficient.
STGOD SDNW4 player. Chamarran Hierarchy Catgirls in space!
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

I agree, we can't let any infighting break us apart at this point, we need to consolidate our forces, pull back from the front, increase our Large starships and better defend our planets...

One other thing... I'd like to request an Inventory of current Starships and their respective captains, moistly so I can keep a tally of how many battles each of us have survived ;)
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

As I said, we need to consolidate, concentrate on the buildup of REAL defensive stations that can see off this kind of rabble raiding party without the need to tie up precious fleet assets!
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Those would be at least level 3 or level 4 stations, both which cost ~5000 in total, which is the same as an ISD. We do not really have that kind of money lying around, especially if we have to respond to corruption.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Besides, unless you can pack them up and move them, they won't be providing any benefit once the battle line moves forward.
Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

An addendum to my proposal would be that if finances permit the planned squadron could rather do with an ISD or other large capital ship to act as a fallback position in case of loss of momentum or as a final blow if momentum is retained. Though unless we use existing assets to form this group we may not be able to afford it until corruption in the empire is brought under control.
STGOD SDNW4 player. Chamarran Hierarchy Catgirls in space!
Darkdrium
Padawan Learner

Post by Darkdrium »

GuppyShark wrote:Besides, unless you can pack them up and move them, they won't be providing any benefit once the battle line moves forward.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. The most annoying and game-breaking thing about the consortium's corruption ability IMO, is that it creates a unique spacelane for their forces, allowing them to bypass heavily fortified world if they happen to be corrupted.

God I hate the consortium.
montypython
Jedi Master

Post by montypython »

Economic power is critical to achieving effective military power, thus it is important to ensure all systems are supplying credits (via mining) to the central treasury and routing out corruption at the same time. The Emperor (or any qualified Imperial representatives) should conduct frequent investigative tours around Imperial systems to facilitate removal of corruption. The cost of removal can be offset by greater cumulative efficiency in revenue intake.
Darkdrium
Padawan Learner

Post by Darkdrium »

As for me, I would recommand the removal of corruption whenever possible, if only to deny the underworld of a significant tactical advantage.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Darkdrium wrote:
GuppyShark wrote:Besides, unless you can pack them up and move them, they won't be providing any benefit once the battle line moves forward.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. The most annoying and game-breaking thing about the consortium's corruption ability IMO, is that it creates a unique spacelane for their forces, allowing them to bypass heavily fortified world if they happen to be corrupted.

God I hate the consortium.
Really? Man, that blows. If I do any GCs I'm going to find a way to mod them the fuck out of it. Though I think the mod Starglider's using already has such scenarios.
MKSheppard wrote:I call for the immediate CourtMarshail of Commander Rogue Ice for daring to put forth a Court Marshail proposal for a HAB flag ranker, in keeping with HABREG 2312.19290.12FG
I'm a civvie who pops his head up every so often and then vanishes back into the faceless masses. So you can't court-martial me! Neener neeener! :razz:
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
squidman001
Padawan Learner

Post by squidman001 »

Is there a mining facility on each planet? I make sure to build one on every planet and also upgrade my space stations, especially on the planets like Kuat. This makes sure that I have the cash flow to build whatever I want, and I don't ever have to worry about the population cap, since the bigger space stations expand that. Besides, we wouldn't want a huge production center to get destroyed just because we had light defenses.
"Generally I find that killing mice is easier if you use your mind." Ford Prefect

"It's like a camel pissed on raspberries and then they bottled it."
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

^Kuat is already defended by a Star Dreadnought and its fleet, I believe.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Darkdrium
Padawan Learner

Post by Darkdrium »

RogueIce wrote: Really? Man, that blows. If I do any GCs I'm going to find a way to mod them the fuck out of it. Though I think the mod Starglider's using already has such scenarios^.
Heh, if you think that's bad, one of the corruption effects they can inflict on a planet is corrupt militia, where they get the natives on their side when they invade the land.

Think it's not so bad? It isn't. The real backbreaker is when you remove the corruption. Doing so actually causes a rebellion and makes you LOSE CONTROL of the entire damn planet, relocating your forces stationed there to the nearest friendly world. :banghead:

What's that you say? Level 5 space station, hypervelocity cannon, shields, turbolaser towers, advanced factories? Kiss them goodbye, you lose it all. And pray the consortium doesn't just move in and take the planet permenantly. I lost Goddamned Fondor that way once.

I still wonder at night what the fuck the developpers were smoking when they came up that one. :finger:
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Darkdrium wrote:Think it's not so bad? It isn't. The real backbreaker is when you remove the corruption. Doing so actually causes a rebellion and makes you LOSE CONTROL of the entire damn planet, relocating your forces stationed there to the nearest friendly world. :banghead:

wait.... Removing corruption CAUSES rebellions???
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
FA Xerrik
Padawan Learner

Post by FA Xerrik »

To be fair though, Corrupt Militia only exists as an option on a very few planets, at least in the unmodded FoC. Yes, it sucks when you're not on the delivering end, but I only recall maybe 3 planets of the normal version where that could happen.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

FA Xerrik wrote:To be fair though, Corrupt Militia only exists as an option on a very few planets, at least in the unmodded FoC. Yes, it sucks when you're not on the delivering end, but I only recall maybe 3 planets of the normal version where that could happen.
You can disable it by editing planets.xml and setting <Corruption_1_Type> to something else (e.g. Corruption_Bribery) for the applicable planets.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Starglider wrote:You can disable it by editing planets.xml and setting <Corruption_1_Type> to something else (e.g. Corruption_Bribery) for the applicable planets.
Where are those damn XML files? I don't have anywhere near all of them, and those I do don't have all the ships (I know the Venator exists, where the fuck is it?!). Nevermind planets.xml and such. Is this something only FoC will give me?
Darkdrium wrote:Heh, if you think that's bad, one of the corruption effects they can inflict on a planet is corrupt militia, where they get the natives on their side when they invade the land.

Think it's not so bad? It isn't. The real backbreaker is when you remove the corruption. Doing so actually causes a rebellion and makes you LOSE CONTROL of the entire damn planet, relocating your forces stationed there to the nearest friendly world. :banghead:

What's that you say? Level 5 space station, hypervelocity cannon, shields, turbolaser towers, advanced factories? Kiss them goodbye, you lose it all. And pray the consortium doesn't just move in and take the planet permenantly. I lost Goddamned Fondor that way once.

I still wonder at night what the fuck the developpers were smoking when they came up that one. :finger:
Man. Fuck the Consortium. And I thought the Rebels being able to send any three land units (and unlimited heroes...fucking Han Solo and Chewbacca who will not die even when I sent Vader after them!) was bad enough. And unmodded, the Mon Cal Cruiser is better than the ISD.

Seriously, what the fuck advantage does the Empire get? Vader and that's about it.

Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

When is the next update? I can't wait!
An inhabitant from the Island of Cars.
Darth Onasi
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Onasi »

I've found that having Veers on a corrupt militia planet will stop it from revolting when you remove corruption.
But all in all I hate corruption, especially since it seems Palpatine's the only one who can remove it. Who'd have thought being a dark lord of the Sith and ruler of the known galaxy meant you hate to personally police the criminal element of every single world under your control?

Oh and fuck the Rebels and their overpowered fighter spams. Fuck them to hell. Fuck the Consortium too.
Seriously, what the fuck advantage does the Empire get? Vader and that's about it.
Well, there's the Death Star. But that's more of a joke than anything else since apparently all it's turbolaser gunners are taking the day off for the game.
And this particular mod doesn't seem to let me build it unless there's something special I have to do.
If I had something interesting, profound or incredibly stupid to say, it would go here.
Darkdrium
Padawan Learner

Post by Darkdrium »

Darth Onasi wrote:I've found that having Veers on a corrupt militia planet will stop it from revolting when you remove corruption.
But all in all I hate corruption, especially since it seems Palpatine's the only one who can remove it. Who'd have thought being a dark lord of the Sith and ruler of the known galaxy meant you hate to personally police the criminal element of every single world under your control?
Thrawn can remove it as well, only it costs a little more and takes a lot more time to eradicate.
montypython
Jedi Master

Post by montypython »

Darkdrium wrote:
Darth Onasi wrote:I've found that having Veers on a corrupt militia planet will stop it from revolting when you remove corruption.
Thrawn can remove it as well, only it costs a little more and takes a lot more time to eradicate.
Vader also can remove corruption too, in addition to Veers as mentioned. Not sure if Mara Jade and Piett is able to do so however.