Pic hosting

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Thirdfain
The Player of Games
Location: Never underestimate the staggering drawing power of the Garden State.

Post by Thirdfain »

Oops, my bad...

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite.
John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - )
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

found a couple more handy image hosts.

http://www.fapomatic.com - adult pic image host, for those naughty pics you can't host on imageshack.

http://www.paintedover.com - for non adult pics, similar to imageshack or photobucket.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

I'm now running a server so if anyone has any images or small files they need hosted just let me know. I won't host Pr0n, and I'm not hosting your 4 gig pirated movies so don't even think about sending anything stupid like that though. PM me for details if you need something hosted.
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

Yeah, I can host a couple of small images/files as well.
Only SSL w/ a self signed cert, since I've placed the whole server under SSL, due to Cox's port restrictions (HTTPS runs on a different port), plus the need to transfer files securely to my friend going to VCU. I can put things under password protection too.

ah.....the path to happiness is revision of dreams and not fulfillment... -SWPIGWANG
Sufficient Googling is indistinguishable from knowledge -somebody
Anything worth the cost of a missile, which can be located on the battlefield, will be shot at with missiles. If the US military is involved, then things, which are not worth the cost if a missile will also be shot at with missiles. -Sea Skimmer

George Bush makes freedom sound like a giant robot that breaks down a lot. -Darth Raptor
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

I'm noticing that Imageshack is getting really slow, popup-ad-ridden, and unreliable. Worse: they're disabling hotlinking seemingly at random (which is the entire point of an image host!)

May we please use Photobucket or another host instead?
Image Image
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Einhander Sn0m4n wrote:I'm noticing that Imageshack is getting really slow, popup-ad-ridden, and unreliable. Worse: they're disabling hotlinking seemingly at random (which is the entire point of an image host!)

May we please use Photobucket or another host instead?
You may use any imagehost you wish.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

I'd reccomend http://www.flickr.com for image collections, although it's not that good an image host as something like imageshack.

It does have an excellent upload limit (200 mb/s a month) and a very useful and reliable mass pic uploader.

I also have a pro account (2 gigs uplaoding per month) and I'll happily let almost anyone upload via my account, which I'll label with the tags:
"not my work", "Forum", and [if appropiate or needed] "quantification".
Anyone wanting to upload via my account ( www.flickr.com/ddofer ) can just PM, IM is e-mail me :wink:
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner

I'm withdrawing my recommendation of Photobucket due to their forced resizing of any image larger than a maximum of 1024x768. This might not hurt people who like their silly image macros, but it severely hurts people who regularly create large unresizeable pictures like starship schematics or pixel art.
Image Image
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner

And Photobucket gives us back the option to upload ANY SIZE image so long as its weight is under a megabyte. Consider my endorsement reinstated!
Image Image
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner

Imageshack's slowness problems are getting noticed. They're also apparently releasing personal info in violation of their own TOS for shits and giggles.

Just wanted to let everyone know.
Image Image
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner

More Imageshack ragging: They've figured out how to attack a NoScripted Firefox with popup ads. How incredibly 1999 of them! :wanker:
Image Image
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner

Repost from HoS; minus the [EDIT: my] asshattery.
Einhander Sn0m4n wrote:Sample image is a 820x2250 (aka Very Large!) schematic of a thermonuclear railgun projectile, which, in the BMP file format, weighs 5.28MB on disk. This image was chosen to be representative of the output of an advanced MSPaint user in making a starship design. There are gradients and subtle color variations present within the schematic which are not present in the default Paint palette, as you can see. Most ship designers stick to the default Paint palette, which I suspect would give GIF an edge in this test.

The purpose of this experiment is to show which is the best file format to save a schematic of this type through a combination of file size, fidelity in rendition, and ease of data repair.

Schematic saved in MSPaint; default compression JPEG: 94kb; data damage apparent in form of smeared or blurry lines, edges, and fonts.

Schematic saved in Irfanview; default compression (85%) JPEG: 94kb; data damage slightly more visible.

Schematic saved in MSPaint; default compression GIF: 63kb; MASSIVE DAMAGE extremely obvious in the form of color dithering over very nearly the entirety of the schematic! File size is small for an image this size.

Schematic saved in Irfanview; default compression (85%) GIF: 139kb :wtf: Data damage in form of color inaccuracy present, readily seen in the gray gradients. Large file size!

Schematic saved in Irfanview, default compression factor (7) PNG: 26kb! No data damage visible at all due to lossless format. File size is clearly the smallest by a factor of 2.6 to its nearest GIF competition and nearly 4 against the JPEGs.
Image Image
ThePorkchopExpress
Redshirt

Re: Pic hosting

Post by ThePorkchopExpress »

Actually, it hadnt occured to me till just now. But some of the art i posted in my other thread are hot linked from deviant art. Its actually where i hot most of my pics now since comcast nerfed their file uploading system to be unwieldly and lame. Not hard to upload.. just use the no catagory selection when they ask what type of "art" it is.

just right click on the image and copy image location..

Bah weep grah nah weep ninny bon
bozazz
Youngling

Post by bozazz »

If anyone wants to host pictures you can do it here on my webpage. Originally I was going to just create ftp accounts manually but that seems a bit difficult to manage and there a limit to how many accounts I can create. Si since I like fooling around with php and databases I uploaded a script that I found online. You can manage all the photos and files that you upload on the site. I've set it so it will have unlimited storage space per account, and file sizes are unlimited. There is a 15gig bandwidth per month but I don't think anyone will reach it. If things really get bogged down I'll reduce the bandwidth accordingly, but thanks to yahoo it should be fine. Cheers
Last edited by bozazz on 2009-02-25 06:05pm, edited 1 time in total.
bozazz
Youngling

Post by bozazz »

Sorry guys/gals if the link above doesn't work. I just changed the directory so the url is easier to remember. Here it is. The change is final and it'll be there to stay. Cheers
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

*EDIT* Whoops, got my windows mixed up.