How to mountain bike like a pro

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

How to mountain bike like a pro

Post by aerius »

My biking partner and I have been filming footage for a mountain bike movie and shooting a whole bunch of pictures while we're at it. These are some of the picture we've taken over the last few months. Remember, we're skilled riders with years of experience, the riding depicted in these photos can land you in the hospital.

Riding onto a nice big log. I was supposed to be filming that day, but somehow got talked into doing the log on my commuter bike. Sketchy as hell.

Doing a wheelie off a log. I hate my riding partner sometimes, I can barely keep my bike on a curb, yet he can ride down a 40' log like it's nothing and wheelie off the end of it.

Flying off a ramp over a big log. This is a pretty neat stunt, a big tree fell across one of the downhill trails so the local riders built a ladder bridge over it so bikers could get over the tree. We learned that we could get massive airtime if we carried speed off the ramp.

Riding off a retaining wall. For some reason they built a retaining wall to nowhere at a local compost site. We found it and sessioned it.

Dropping in on some sand dunes at a ski resort. The sand dunes form sort of a quarter pipe with a nice landing transition. Perfect for some filming and photos.

A huge drop on our local trails. This one takes balls since there's a minimum safe jump distance. If you come up short you land on a flat instead of a steep downhill, and if you do that it punts you right off your bike and you get creamed. Some dumbass teen saw us doing a session there, we told him not to do the jump but he did it anyway, he came up short and got launched off his bike straight into a tree. He was lucky the paramedic carried him away on a stretcher and not a bodybag.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Re: How to mountain bike like a pro

Post by SCRawl »

aerius wrote:A huge drop on our local trails. This one takes balls since there's a minimum safe jump distance. If you come up short you land on a flat instead of a steep downhill, and if you do that it punts you right off your bike and you get creamed. Some dumbass teen saw us doing a session there, we told him not to do the jump but he did it anyway, he came up short and got launched off his bike straight into a tree. He was lucky the paramedic carried him away on a stretcher and not a bodybag.
Did you at least get footage? :twisted:

Out of curiosity, what's the end purpose of the film project?
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

2,4,5 are awesome.
4 Is the best of this set, really pretty looking shot and angle (dropping off the cliff).
Great angle on 5.

3 - "Flying off a ramp over a big log." - You should have panned this shot, to blur the background and keep the rider in focus (a lot of the shots would benefit from that, it would look most awesome :)).

Nice stuff, is there more coming in the near future? Amp up your production rate ;).
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

SCRawl wrote:Did you at least get footage? :twisted:
Yeah, it's on film. You can see the dumb teen doing a superman over the handlebars before hitting the ground and the tree at roughly the same time. Unfortunately we don't have have a high speed camera since it would've looked awesome in slow motion.
Out of curiosity, what's the end purpose of the film project?
Our goal is to make a short ~20 minute film of our mountain biking adventures, then putting it on DVD so all our friends & family can watch it. A secondary purpose is to help promote the sport of mountain biking in our area and get local riders organized & pumped up about riding.
DEATH wrote:2,4,5 are awesome.
4 Is the best of this set, really pretty looking shot and angle (dropping off the cliff).
Great angle on 5.
Personally I like 5 more, 4 needed a ton of Photoshop editing to make it look good. Shooting into a sunset with a digital camera is a pain in the ass.
3 - "Flying off a ramp over a big log." - You should have panned this shot, to blur the background and keep the rider in focus (a lot of the shots would benefit from that, it would look most awesome :)).
I would've, if I were the one taking the picture. I'm the rider in the photo, it's kinda hard for me to take an action picture of myself.
Nice stuff, is there more coming in the near future? Amp up your production rate ;)
Thanks. Unfortunately not in the near future, both of us took huge crashes while filming this past weekend, and our SO's witnessed the crashes and got freaked out. So we've both been banned from doing stupid shit for a while.
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Aerius wrote:Personally I like 5 more, 4 needed a ton of Photoshop editing to make it look good. Shooting into a sunset with a digital camera is a pain in the ass.
Hey, you're the photoshop snap, I'm the one who does thing bare and nude and without any digital "dressing" ;). (Although thorns whipping into your ass hurts).

Aerius wrote:I would've, if I were the one taking the picture. I'm the rider in the photo, it's kinda hard for me to take an action picture of myself.
Unfortunately not in the near future, both of us took huge crashes while filming this past weekend, and our SO's witnessed the crashes and got freaked out. So we've both been banned from doing stupid shit for a while.
To which the obvious response is: Take better pictures of hot bike riding chicks.
Everybody wins and improves :D
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

This one's from a few years ago. Some guy built a big teeter-totter, it was damn fun but scary to ride on. I was supposed to be on camera duties but somehow got talked into riding it on my cheap bike, proving again that it's the skill of the rider that counts, not the bike.
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

aerius wrote: Our goal is to make a short ~20 minute film of our mountain biking adventures, then putting it on DVD so all our friends & family can watch it. A secondary purpose is to help promote the sport of mountain biking in our area and get local riders organized & pumped up about riding.
Where is this area that you speak of?
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Toronto, Ontariooooo (sucks).

These are some pretty sweet pictures, aerius. I am most impressed.
XXXI
SCRawl

Post by SCRawl »

Phantasee wrote:Toronto, Ontariooooo (sucks).
Oh, please. Just because it isn't Redneckistan doesn't mean it sucks. :wink:

aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Hawkwings wrote:Where is this area that you speak of?
The greater Toronto area. We had a nice organization going when I co-ran a webpage some years ago, but after a falling out with the other guy after his ego got to him and he became an asshole, everything went to hell and most of us never saw each other again.

So now my riding buddy & I along with a few other guys are working to get things going again.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

A couple more pictures from a recent session

And my new favourite video. It's fucking insane.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

That video passes beyond the boundaries of sanity, man.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
SCRawl

Post by SCRawl »

White Haven wrote:That video passes beyond the boundaries of sanity, man.
Well...he did say it was insane, didn't he? (I also think that it's very good, by the way.)

Sky Captain
Jedi Master

Post by Sky Captain »

Wow that video is awesome I never thought myself something like that is possible with bicycle. In some moments it looks like that guy is defying the laws of physics.
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

What they said ^^, I think the "bike walking" (I don't know of a better term for it) was the most impressive bit
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |