Anyway to fix pictures with bad flash?

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Anyway to fix pictures with bad flash?

Post by ArmorPierce »

Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Re: Anyway to fix pictures with bad flash?

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

A. In most of the photos the focus is off (you/you+GF aren't in focus)/blurred, and that can't be fixed. You could try sharpening but it wouldn't help.
B. Doubt it. You could correct the white balance to correct the overly yellow shots at least. (Download and use Picasa. Use "I'm feeling lucky and/or "Neutral colour picker" from the editing menu). I don't suppose you took RAW files.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

You can do a little bit with Gradients (Photoshop Ctrl+M) but these pictures are pretty fucked.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Some of them can be fixed with a lot of careful masking & blending in Photoshop, but it's going to take a lot of time and it's beyond my abilities. I can do basic masking but I haven't really learned blending yet so anything I do will leave sharp edges around the edits which scream "edited photo".
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Post by ArmorPierce »

What is RAW files?

Bleh thought so. It was a disposable camera that we bought from a street vendor since my girl forgot her digital camera. Most of the pictures came out real bad and I think it also had water damage in a couple.
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
Melchior
Jedi Master

Post by Melchior »

ArmorPierce wrote:What is RAW files?
Unprocessed sensor data, basically. It's useful because it gives more wiggle room in postproduction.
Some of the shots are fixable with a lot of work in Photoshop; if you choose one I'll try to improve it as a challenge.
Ypoknons
Jedi Knight

Post by Ypoknons »

Sorry mate, the thumb of rule on digital is that you overexpose, and the detail gone. Though I assume your disposable is film, but I'm also assuming it was professionally developed and printed, so that doesn't help. You're probably not going to get back the parts that are totally "white" - there's no information to recover. Some photoshop work is possible, but it probably takes a lot of guesswork.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Caught this thread a bit late.
This is about all I can do with my limited Photoshop knowledge. Any attempt to darken it more leads to your face being even more "washed out." I learned a few things when the pictures of my TF2 engineer costume were jacked pretty bad. If this is acceptable, let me know and I'll find some time to do the rest. If you have PS, just go to Adjust > levels and work the sliders until you find a range that looks decent.
Melchior
Jedi Master

Post by Melchior »

Here's my take:

To do any I better I would need to trespass into the realm of outright falsification and paint arbitrary detail in. Good quality reference photos for the subjects (especially for skin tone) could help, I suppose.