NHL 2008/2009 Season

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Re: NHL 2008/2009 Season

Post by J »

The Sharks choked again? Shocking I tell you, shocking!
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

That Game Six was one of the best i've ever been to! The long awaited inevitable Battle of California between the two good teams in the state was everything we could have hoped for down here. Also, Jonas Hiller is simply amazing. Our most meaningful playoff game since knocking out the Sens in 07.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

On the bright side, Sean Avery got taken out by a nice hit at the end of the game, and the Rangers are eliminated from the playoffs. Too bad it wasn't a knee to knee because I really want to see Avery's career get ended.

Unfortunately the Canes won which means there's a goddamn hick team left in the playoffs. This angers me greatly. I hope Boston takes them out in a sweep.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

aerius wrote:On the bright side, Sean Avery got taken out by a nice hit at the end of the game, and the Rangers are eliminated from the playoffs. Too bad it wasn't a knee to knee because I really want to see Avery's career get ended.

Unfortunately the Canes won which means there's a goddamn hick team left in the playoffs. This angers me greatly. I hope Boston takes them out in a sweep.
I'm actually hoping that they go to 6 so Boston is at least as road weary as the Caps. My dream scenario right now is Boston in 6 and Caps in 5 so they both have to travel before starting the series. Alternatively I wouldn't object to Carolina winning just so we could keep home ice.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Vancouver = Better than expected. They might be able to do some more damage.

Puck drops soon for Ducks/Wings.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

C'est incroyable. What a save by Varlamov on Crosby. That is better than Kipper on Wellwood earlier in the regular season.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Archon wrote:C'est incroyable. What a save by Varlamov on Crosby. That is better than Kipper on Wellwood earlier in the regular season.
I agree, usually, with almost nothing that NBC's "analysts" talk about during the game but I will concur that this was the most amazing save yet and a game changer for sure and certain.

I'm also laughing at Ovie's post game comments about the goal tending...the post played pretty good comment was just perfectly deadpan.

*Edit* figured I'd also add that if the Ducks are gonna get in it you should probably try to not spend more than half of the first period in the box.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Wilkens, i'll refer you to what Don Cherry said on one of the last regular season HNIC's before the playoffs begin. It's a pretty open secret even to the East Coast media that the Ducks get hosed on an almost nightly basis by the refs thanks to the rep we built two years ago.

ALthough in a rarity the league got it right by not suspending Mike Brown IMHO. The penalties he got for the hit on Hudler were enough.

J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

Ducks & Redwings going into triple overtime, it looks like the Redwings are wearing down first since the Ducks are getting more puck possession & control as the game goes on.
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

oh hell yes

CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Darth Fanboy wrote:Wilkens, i'll refer you to what Don Cherry said on one of the last regular season HNIC's before the playoffs begin. It's a pretty open secret even to the East Coast media that the Ducks get hosed on an almost nightly basis by the refs thanks to the rep we built two years ago.

ALthough in a rarity the league got it right by not suspending Mike Brown IMHO. The penalties he got for the hit on Hudler were enough.
I agree with you about Brown...except that if that's the case the Brashear's hit on Betts should have been 1 game at most.

-Kingdom of Heaven
Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

Looking at some video of both hits it appears that the hit on Betts is both late and a directed forearm* to the face of Blair Betts. Mike Brown's hit was a late but technically clean check. I would have only given Brown 2 minutes for Interference. I did think Brashear's 5 game suspension was about 3 games too harsh.

*By directed I mean that when Brashear hit Betts his forearm was in an unnatural position whereas Brown's forearm was tucked in to his body.

Of course, all of this chat about dirty hits seems to be ignoring the antics of a particularly vile player named Niklas Kronwall who is constantly leaving his feet to hit. I hope Pronger takes his head off a la McAmmond in 2007. Kronwall is a scumbag.
Last edited by Archon on 2009-05-05 12:00am, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Archon I refer you to this link, you think Kronwall gets called/suspended for that hit if he isn't a Red Wing?

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

CmdrWilkens wrote: I agree with you about Brown...except that if that's the case the Brashear's hit on Betts should have been 1 game at most.
Oh of course, the NHL's disciplinary office generally suffers from massive cranial rectal inversion.

CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Darth Fanboy wrote:
CmdrWilkens wrote: I agree with you about Brown...except that if that's the case the Brashear's hit on Betts should have been 1 game at most.
Oh of course, the NHL's disciplinary office generally suffers from massive cranial rectal inversion.
On which note: If Kunitz doesn't get at least a game then there goes anything resembling respectability so I'm almost certain he won't get it. Seriously a cross check to the freakin head of the goalie in the crease and the refs don't call it?

So despite the awesomeness of the win I'm still going to be angry enough to publicly proclaim that Crysby did not get a hat trick no matter what the score sheet says (and that's before I wonder if it was played with a high stick).

-Kingdom of Heaven
Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

Darth Fanboy wrote:Archon I refer you to this link, you think Kronwall gets called/suspended for that hit if he isn't a Red Wing?
Absolutely. He gets at least a charging penalty but probably no suspension.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Well guess what, he didn't get any kind of penalty whatsoever.

CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Nice, Kunitz gets $2500 for a shot to the neck but nothing else since Varlamov could still play thanks to the goaltender's mask. On any other player thats a vicious ass neck wound. Brash makes a late hit, late but he was face to face with Betts and used no elbow, and gets 5 games. Fucking retarded.

-Kingdom of Heaven
Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

I hope Wisniewski is all right after taking that puck in the chest. He was coughing up blood and went off sitting up in a stretcher.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

He'll miss Thursday's game but otherwise seems to be doing well and will probably be released from the hospital Thursday morning.

Absolutely NOTHING from the refs or the league about the ensuing Holmstrom elbow to Wiz's face after he was doubled over. We can talk about the fucked up non-goal at the end of the game all you want, but that has nothing to do with protecting players from fucking cheapshots like what the Red Wings have been doing. I expect complete bedlam come Thursday night.

aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Archon wrote:I hope Wisniewski is all right after taking that puck in the chest. He was coughing up blood and went off sitting up in a stretcher.
TSN was reporting it as a lung contusion during the intermission in tonight's game, they said he's going to be out indefinitely which could mean anything from a game to the rest of the season.
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

aerius wrote:
Archon wrote:I hope Wisniewski is all right after taking that puck in the chest. He was coughing up blood and went off sitting up in a stretcher.
TSN was reporting it as a lung contusion during the intermission in tonight's game, they said he's going to be out indefinitely which could mean anything from a game to the rest of the season.
At least he's been released from the hospital which, all things considered, is a favorable outcome, IMO.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Well fuck, we deserved to lose that one and only Varly standing on his head 39 freakin times kept it competitive. Its like the Caps were sleepwalking after the first 10 minutes.

-Kingdom of Heaven
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Yes! The Canes are gone, no hick teams in the Stanley Cup finals! I'm hoping Pittsburgh wins the cup since it'll be hilarious to see Hossa end up on the losing side again, especially since he asked to get traded to the Redwings. If the Penguins win I will laugh so hard at Hossa, you coulda had the Cup but you traded yourself to the losing team!
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Suck it Hossa, suck it good! No cup for you!