Coyote's SketchUp Spaceship(s)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Coyote's SketchUp Spaceship(s)

Post by Coyote »

These are roughs of my Avenger-class gunship, as done in Sketchup.

Avenger ground-eye view:

Avenger portside:

Avenger overhead aft:

Avenger aft/horizontal:

Avenger fore w/man for scale:

This was an old, hasty real "sketch" of an Avenger for concept:

Still working on the greeblies, but I have a feeling I won't be able to do much with the interior of the curved "ram scoop". I may have to just use this as a model for perspective shots to be recreated on paper. SketchUp is useful, but not versatile enough for what I want to do.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Re: Coyote's SketchUp Spaceship(s)

Post by Knife »

looks neat. Yeah, i play with the free version too and while fun it is limited.

You thinking some sort of anti grav on your toy?
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Looks pretty damn good. The scale seems a bit off when comparing the first picture and the second, even with the closer angle.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

If you mean the hand-drawn version, you're right. That's because the hand-drawn version was quickly drawn and way off (in fact, it was an in-class doodle). The two little octagons on the lower sides of the upper hull are supposed to be doors for the crew, which in theory they'd use to exit with EVA suits if necessary. The figure on the hand-drawn version would have a hard time squeezing though those little hatches.

The Avenger is a full spacegoing ship, in fact it's kinda the starship version of the A-10: the big tube in the 'ramscoop' is supposed to be a torpedo tube, with two heavy cannon mounted over it. Then there'd be two turreted guns top & bottom, mostly used for point-defense. It could have a crew from 4 to 8, depending on mission parameters. It's the smallest deployed ship in my sci-fi 'verse's navy-- anything smaller is an embarked craft on a bigger vessel. I don't have fighters in my 'verse, they were experimented with and found to be 'impractical'.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
aimless
Youngling

Post by aimless »

The hand drawn one looks better than the sketchup ones, and not just in detail level IMO. Seems to have less awkward proportions and lines: the sketchup looks pretty weird from a least a couple of those angles. Maybe the wing thrusters or the scoop got too small, maybe the nose got too long and pointy, I'm not sure. Hand drawn one looks pretty slick though. (on a side note it feels like a pistol that happens to be a spaceship, which I kinda enjoy :))
Last edited by aimless on 2009-05-11 09:30pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Yeah, make the intakes larger (like, double the height) and make the lower shiny... thing narrower, and it'll look more like the sketch. If that's what you're going for, of course.