Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Venator
Jedi Knight

Re: Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

Post by Venator »

... were they obviously joking or playing along, or are kids really that gullible (and morally bankrupt) these days :shock: ?
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

Oh, kids these days...

...things cost more!

children use swear words!

get off my lawn!
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

aerius wrote:Note - I'm not a lumberjack and I'm definitely NOT a contract killer.
Not a lumberjack? Awwwwwww....
Kanastrous wrote:get off my lawn!
If you haven't already, go watch Gran Torino, for the most awesome get off my lawn moment in world history.
unsigned
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

I call shenanigans, because kids stopped saying "'scuse me mister" way before I was a kid.
XXXI
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

"What's a contraindication for nitroglycerin?"

"A volatile blood pressure."

"Christ, I hate you."
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Venator wrote:... were they obviously joking or playing along, or are kids really that gullible (and morally bankrupt) these days :shock: ?
I'm pretty sure they were half playing along, one kid was definitely playing along and I don't think the others totally bought it, but didn't want to look "uncool" or anything.
Phantasee wrote:I call shenanigans, because kids stopped saying "'scuse me mister" way before I was a kid.
It depends on the neighbourhood here, kids will say anything ranging from "yo! YO!!" to "excuse me sir..."
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Korto
Jedi Master

Post by Korto »

The furnace was finally fixed, and we were actually going to be able to melt aluminium for the class that night (after fucking weeks), and when the time came around and I started the furnace up... Nothing.
Next day I called Maintenance.
Me: "Is this furnace supposed to be fixed? It wouldn't start"
Maintenance: "I was told it was fixed. Hold on a minute" (he makes a quick phone call)
Maintenance: "They say it's fixed. Here's their number if you want to talk to them"
I call the repairers
Me: "You reckon this is fixed? I tried to start it last night, I got nothing"
Them: "Yeah. It's got a new start-up procedure now"
“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”
Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

So my predecessor on the present show did all of her work using software with which I am entirely unfamiliar and an operating system I dislike, and the only application I have that can open her files is software with which I am mostly unfamiliar. Which makes me the most qualified person in the department, with it.

So revising and updating and modifying documents is a little bit like playing blindfolded whack-a-mole; lots of flailing around punctuated by fleeting moments of triumph when the mallet actually connects with something.

The Supervising Art Director is standing at the large-format printer watching me extract a print, and wants to know So, are you still the reigning Mister Vectorworks?

And I told him Sure, as long as there isn't a swimsuit competition.
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
irishmick79
Rabid Monkey

Post by irishmick79 »

Ok, so I'm confirming a warrant with an officer from the Dallas PD. Basically, we try to determine if the individual currently being held by the cop is actually the individual the warrant is out for. I asked the officer why he thought the individual in his custody was the individual on the warrant hit. Here's the exchange:

Me: So why do you think this is the guy on the hit?

Dallas cop: when I ran this guy's name he gave a name of Francisco. The warrant hit on the guy's last name and date of birth, but I saw the first name on the hit of Frederico.

Me: Did the guy have the two tattos on the hit?

Dallas cop: Yep. Same location, same description. I asked him his name again, he said "Francisco" again. I asked him if he meant Frederico, and the guy sighed and said "yeah".
"A country without a Czar is like a village without an idiot."
- Old Russian Saying
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Somebody out at the middle school said this to one of my co-workers:

"Oh, I didn't read that email, it was way too long. I don't read long emails. If you want me to read something you'll have to shorten it up a lot."

This was in response to my co-worker being a bit puzzled when this person asked about a procedure that had been explained in an email that had been sent out.
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

irishmick79 wrote:Dallas cop: Yep. Same location, same description. I asked him his name again, he said "Francisco" again. I asked him if he meant Frederico, and the guy sighed and said "yeah".
So... was the cop not just understanding him, or was the guy lying about his name?
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

Supervisor: One of your clients called with good news. He was hired as a helicoptor pilot. Did we send him to flight school?

me: "yeah you authorized it."

Supervisor: "I would have remembered that"

me: " It was the week we sent two people to nursing school, one to bartending school, one to massage therapy, one to become a teacher one to the army and one to become a janitor.

Supervisor: "Did they all complete?"

Me: "Yeah except the janitor, apparently its harder than we could have imagined."

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
irishmick79
Rabid Monkey

Post by irishmick79 »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:
irishmick79 wrote:Dallas cop: Yep. Same location, same description. I asked him his name again, he said "Francisco" again. I asked him if he meant Frederico, and the guy sighed and said "yeah".
So... was the cop not just understanding him, or was the guy lying about his name?
The guy was lying. Cop said it was one of the more sad and pathetic efforts at deception he'd seen in a while.
- Old Russian Saying
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

On the phone today:

"I borrowed a computer from upstairs to use in my office and it's not working right. It's coming up with an error: 'could not connect'..."
"Are you connected to the network?"
"What's a network?"
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
AMT
Jedi Knight

Post by AMT »

Email exchange with Regional Office:

RCC: Can you take a look at this ticket? We need to know the status on it. It's been more than five days.

Me: Sure.

*look at ticket*

Me: No idea on this ticket.

RCC: (paraphase) How can you not know about this ticket? Don't you pay attention to important things?

Me: Because this is for the Lexington County Office. In Virginia. This is the Lexington Kentucky Office. In Kentucky.

RCC: ... Oh.

Me and me Louisville counterpart: *snicker*
AMT
Jedi Knight

Post by AMT »

And number 2:

(While doing Inventory reconcilation, radio is on. TV reporter who also works with radio does a report on a crack head who was arrested)

Me: I used to go to school with her.

Clerks: Really? Man, weird to see how two different roads can go down.

Me: Yeah, she stuck with it, I quit.

Clerks: ....ok.

Me: Yeah, she stayed in the news, while I went sideways to this.

Clerks: Oh! You meant the reporter, not the crack head!

Me: ...Yup! Though I probably do know a couple of people who're crack heads, if I tried to find em...
Schuyler Colfax
Jedi Master

Post by Schuyler Colfax »

I know this thread is mainly used for jobs, but here's a bit a dialog from my chemistry class today

My douchebag friend poked a hole on the top of a water bottle and went around squirting people.
He got me on the face and I was already frustrated because of other things.
I went up to him and said stop squirting me.
A second passed.
Everyone who heard me (myself included) busted out laughing.

I hate my chemistry class.
Get some
Pulp Hero
Jedi Master

Post by Pulp Hero »

I did a cross-state, work related carpool with a guy. It was his car and he drove, and holy fucking bejezus, I hate (READ: RAAAAGE!) people who are fucking slow drivers.

This douchebag was driving approximately five miles below the speed limit on long strecthes of road that alternated between 55 and 65 miles per hour. The other car in our convoy got fed up with us and got to our destination over an hour before us because of the fuck-ass that was driving. And he had this infuriating habit of fucking with the radio- constantly turning the volume up and down (or off) at random.
I can never love you because I'm just thirty squirrels in a mansuit."

"Ah, good ol' Popeye. Punching ghosts until they explode."[/b]-Internet Webguy

"It was cut because an Army Ordnance panel determined that a weapon that kills an enemy soldier 10 times before he hits the ground was a waste of resources, so they scaled it back to only kill him 3 times."-Anon, on the cancellation of the Army's multi-kill vehicle.
irishmick79
Rabid Monkey

Post by irishmick79 »

Ok, we run a lot of instant status checks for ICE Agents in the field. Basically, they can call in and run a name and date of birth on a subject they're currently dealing with and we'll assess their status after searching a few databases. Most of the time it's pretty quick and the agents know what they're doing, but every now and then we have a Special Agent call in who is "Special" in the derogatory sense of the word.

Agent: Hi, I'd like to run a name check please.

Me: Sure, can I get your name and ID code?

Agent: I'm not running myself.

Me:....yes sir, I need your name and ID code so I can verify who you are.

Agent: Oh...*gives name and code*

Me: Ok, what can I do for you?

Agent: I need you to run Juan Torres. Sorry, but I don't have a date of birth.

Me: Ok, I can run that, but I'm probably going to get at least 1000 hits. Do you have a second last name, an address, or any kind of numerics? Does he have a drivers license or social security number?

Agent: I don't know. This is all I've got. Can you run it anyways?

*groan* so I start running Juan Torres, and sure as shit I get a ton of hits and the database we use craps out because it's overloaded with results. Fuck you, Agent McDinkleberry

Me: Sorry, I got too many possible hits. You need to narrow that search width down somehow.

Agent: Oh. Wait, I've got a drivers license. *Gives date of birth, full name, and address of subject*

Me: Ok, subject is *********, with a DOB of ******** and he is a legal permanent resident.

Agent: What's that mean?

Stupid Fucker! So I take the time to explain the basic principle of immigration law and the definition of LPR to a GS-13 agent who presumably went to an academy and was educated on this stuff at some point.
- Old Russian Saying
AMT
Jedi Knight

Post by AMT »

irishmick79 wrote:Ok, we run a lot of instant status checks for ICE Agents in the field. Basically, they can call in and run a name and date of birth on a subject they're currently dealing with and we'll assess their status after searching a few databases. Most of the time it's pretty quick and the agents know what they're doing, but every now and then we have a Special Agent call in who is "Special" in the derogatory sense of the word.

Agent: Hi, I'd like to run a name check please.

Me: Sure, can I get your name and ID code?

Agent: I'm not running myself.

Me:....yes sir, I need your name and ID code so I can verify who you are.

Agent: Oh...*gives name and code*

Me: Ok, what can I do for you?

Agent: I need you to run Juan Torres. Sorry, but I don't have a date of birth.

Me: Ok, I can run that, but I'm probably going to get at least 1000 hits. Do you have a second last name, an address, or any kind of numerics? Does he have a drivers license or social security number?

Agent: I don't know. This is all I've got. Can you run it anyways?

*groan* so I start running Juan Torres, and sure as shit I get a ton of hits and the database we use craps out because it's overloaded with results. Fuck you, Agent McDinkleberry

Me: Sorry, I got too many possible hits. You need to narrow that search width down somehow.

Agent: Oh. Wait, I've got a drivers license. *Gives date of birth, full name, and address of subject*

Me: Ok, subject is *********, with a DOB of ******** and he is a legal permanent resident.

Agent: What's that mean?

Stupid Fucker! So I take the time to explain the basic principle of immigration law and the definition of LPR to a GS-13 agent who presumably went to an academy and was educated on this stuff at some point.
He's GS-fucking 13 and doesn't know this shit?
That's pathetic.
Zed Snardbody
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zed Snardbody »

Jesus tap dancing Christ. And I thought some of the people I worked with are dense.
The Zen of Not Fucking Up.
irishmick79
Rabid Monkey

Post by irishmick79 »

Zed Snardbody wrote:Jesus tap dancing Christ. And I thought some of the people I worked with are dense.
And this guy has a badge and gun, and was trying to figure out if he should be throwing cuffs on the guy he was dealing with.

Generally, we tend to run into this issue with a lot of the legacy Customs agents who used to do only customs inspections or investigations, and were pissed when US Customs merged with INS. They wanted nothing to do with immigration and pretty much refuse to deal with it unless they are absolutely forced to by their superiors. They seem to be heading into retirement in droves, so I imagine that issue will be resolving itself in a few years.
- Old Russian Saying
irishmick79
Rabid Monkey

Post by irishmick79 »

Also, every now and then an idiot ICE Agent gives out their ID code to a local area cop, so that when the cop has to run a check or get an ICE Detainer, the cop calls into our office posing as the ICE agent instead of waking up the local ICE Agent in the middle of the night. We can pretty easily smoke them out when we realize they don't know the first thing about immigration law or ICE policy and procedure. The ICE agent then pretty much gets their underwear run up a flagpole while they get tarred and feathered if they get busted doing that sort of stuff.
- Old Russian Saying
Zed Snardbody
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zed Snardbody »

I can imagine. The poor CBP officers here in Vegas seem to have to pull teeth to get ICE to respond to anything.
The Zen of Not Fucking Up.
irishmick79
Rabid Monkey

Post by irishmick79 »

Zed Snardbody wrote:I can imagine. The poor CBP officers here in Vegas seem to have to pull teeth to get ICE to respond to anything.
CBP and ICE don't get along that much. A lot of it has to do with the different missions - because ICE is focused on interior enforcement, ICE hates it when CBP calls them out to ports of entry on stuff that CBP should be able to handle, like making fairly basic judgements on whether or not a particular subject should be admitted into the country or not. CBP on the other hand seems to resent that ICE doesn't devote more of its resources to supporting CBP functions on the border.
- Old Russian Saying